• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT X| Thread's Up, Don't Lurk

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, fun fact: I don't know if this is still the case, but back in the day Pokemon's mainline releases were actually being handled by different in-house development teams on an alternating schedule. Team A did GSC, while Team B did RSE, and so on and so forth - which is why certain features up and disappeared in certain iterations such as the day and night cycle.

fairenough.gif

This guy looks like a white version of the dude from Key & Peele.

Malyse

I'm very well aware that I just fell in your trap but can we have a conversation about this notion?

While this may be very well true in the US it couldn't be more wrong on a international level. Racism as a strictly skin colour based system is mainly a US thing. If Europeans, as an example, talk about Racism it's about all kinds of things not limited to your skin colour. You face Racism here because of your ethnicity, your cultural background, your religion and all kinds of other shit. You don't have to black to face Racism. People just hate everyone who isn't like themselves. I already pointed out numerous times how I, living as a foreigner in Germany, had to face Racism. Especially the casual one. I mean I'm Italian. We always carry knives, steal German women and their work. The only thing we're good at is cooking. Or so they say. There's this saying Deutschland den Deutschen, Ausländer raus which roughly translates to Germany for Germans, foreigners out. That is Racism against all people not only limited to one skin colour.

I got beaten up by skinheads, my friends got beaten up, we got harassed by the Police all the time
to be fair, at least they didn't kill us
, people cross the street when we're on the same side. I almost lost friends because people set refugee centres on fire. The list goes on. Don't get me wrong I don't try to compare our struggle with yours. This is not a contest. But it actually stings me a bit whenever I have to read something like that.

And with that off my chest I wish you guys a happy and safe new year. I hope next year will be a bit better, for all of us. No hard feelings.

Setting aside the insulting implication that I said something solely to trap people (USI, much?), the fact is that what you described is prejudice. Prejudice against everyone exists. Discrimination against everyone exists. But racism? That's something white people don't experience. Racism is a system that actively prevents minority success. Actually, you know what? Not gonna derail this thread. Read up:

http://feminspire.com/why-reverse-racism-isnt-real/
http://m.dailykos.com/story/2010/07/15/884649/-Why-there-s-no-such-thing-as-Reverse-Racism
http://loveyourchaos.tumblr.com/post/51215542733

But in case you can't be bothered to read that, there is no power structure in place to allow white people to be systematically held back. Without said structure, actual racism can't happen.

kamorra

Fuck Cancer
Setting aside the insulting implication that I said something solely to trap people (USI, much?), the fact is that what you described is prejudice. Prejudice against everyone exists. Discrimination against everyone exists. But racism? That's something white people don't experience. Racism is a system that actively prevents minority success. Actually, you know what? Not gonna derail this thread. Read up:

http://feminspire.com/why-reverse-racism-isnt-real/
http://m.dailykos.com/story/2010/07/15/884649/-Why-there-s-no-such-thing-as-Reverse-Racism
http://loveyourchaos.tumblr.com/post/51215542733

But in case you can't be bothered to read that, there is no power structure in place to allow white people to be systematically held back. Without said structure, actual racism can't happen.
Ahh, should have know that it will end like that. I don't need information about reverse racism. Not once did I talk about that bullshit non existent concept. I'm talking about plain Racism. Europe is full of systems that prevent minorities from getting success. You just don't know this tidbit apperantly. Tell them Gypsies, Turks, East Europeans, Russians or any other foreigner living here that what they face isn't Racism because your definition differs. I also wasn't trying to insult anyone but whatever.

Malyse

Ahh, should have know that it will end like that. I don't need information about reverse racism. Not once did I talk about that bullshit non existent concept. I'm talking about plain Racism. Europe is full of systems that prevent minorities from getting success. You just don't know this tidbit apperantly. Tell them Gypsies, Turks, East Europeans, Russians or any other foreigner living here that what they face isn't Racism because your definition differs. I also wasn't trying to insult anyone but whatever.

'K.

Kreed

You don't even have to just talk about Europe. The Jews, Italians, and Irish for example had a history of discrimination due to ethnicity in the US prior to being thrown into the "white" category but still exists at a much smaller level.

You don't even have to just talk about Europe. The Jews, Italians, and Irish for example had a history of discrimination due to ethnicity in the US prior to being thrown into the "white" category but still exists at a much smaller level.

Not even just in the US.

EDIT: Lol, I really need to stop reading backwards... Europe can be really fucking bad about this though.

DD, there was no need to jump down the dude's throat.

Malyse

The toothbrush scene in nisemonogatari just came up on my tumblr dash. Now I wanna to watch that fucked up show again.
Not even just in the US.

EDIT: Lol, I really need to stop reading backwards... Europe can be really fucking bad about this though.

DD, there was no need to jump down the dude's throat.

I was being nice :/

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Gaki No Tsukai's new year batsu game is on, hell yessssss. Most fun.

I just posted some impressions re: Halo Nightfall (specifically Mike Colter's character) in halogaf, but one of the things I didn't mention that I can already tell is going to happen is fan bitching. I mean, it's already happened, but based on all we've seen of him so far Locke is kind of an anomaly in the Halo universe where he's an "only human" dude compared to supersoldiers like Chief and whatnot, and clearly moved up the ranks through hard work and military bearing rather than circumstance or luck getting him promotions or anything like that. His position as an Officer means he pretty much has to keep his appearances flat / dry, doubly so since he's working for ONI and has to avoid spilling a lot of shit. It's funny, I feel like I can actually empathize with him the most out of other Halo protags so far, but his character is also clearly meant to be a "not stepping on anyone's toes" sort of dude rather than a character like Palmer who was constantly shitting on her subordinates.

Honestly, just because of his character, I can see him perfectly palling around with Chief and Arbiter - they kinda tried that with Lasky, but Lasky seems like too much of a young, wide-eyed idealist sort of nice guy (at least relatively, compared to the 40-something Chief and 60-something Arbiter) to completely mesh with them. Locke's more of a neutral, even-tempered guy, though. The reason I'm worried is because I can just tell fans are going to be bitching about shit like "why did they make Locke such a mary sue character? it's super dumb that Chief and Arbiter are okay with him even though they barely know him, at least give him some background. it's like they're just trying to shove all their new bullshit into halo and ruining it" or something to that effect.

Granted, with Locke hunting Chief down they probably won't be best buds at first, but you know what I mean.

Kreed

That's what I meant, and I was mainly talking about on this site.

Where else? The rest of the internet. Black Twitter, Instagram, etc... I hear it getting a lot of use now on east coast hip hop radio/etc... too. Didn't even know it was a West Coast thing until you pointed it out.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
How y'all not going to say 'Little shop of Horrors'?

Both Pam and Gina and a 10 foot murderous plant. GOAT.

I got a personal attachment to Oklahoma! due to growing up here.

Legitimately, almost every single OK resident knows the goddamn play by heart. It sucks, but I enjoy it. It's just one of those things now that I do enjoy and can fucking sing for an hour without missing a word. I hate that I -can- do that. And it's still legit, too. Plenty of towns out here that are almost identical to the ones in the show.

Do they show aliens in the Halo show?

This new one had one live-action rubber forehead alien (think Worf), and the rest were CGI. CGI wasn't awful. It's, like, two pegs above what you see in sci-fi original movies but about twelve pegs below what you see in the actual Halo commercials with budgets.

Slayven

Tiny bit. It's 97% soldiers, mountains, and some angry worms.

This new one had one live-action rubber forehead alien (think Worf), and the rest were CGI. CGI wasn't awful. It's, like, two pegs above what you see in sci-fi original movies but about twelve pegs below what you see in the actual Halo commercials with budgets.

Its a HALO edition of Seinfeld........nothing happens.

The one elite they showed was terrible CGI, they honestly just did a guy in a suit.

Sounds boring.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Plywood though, that motherfucker is legit a great looking dude. Like a baby Roman Reigns.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom