• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT X| Thread's Up, Don't Lurk

Status
Not open for further replies.

RedSwirl

FF and Zelda are the two franchises that have the least civil fanbases if you ask me. Nobody in either fanbase agrees on why the games are good, what makes them what they are, etc. Understandable for FF because the developers wipe the slate mostly clean with each new game (and people should just recognize that and move on), but it irritates the fuck out of me with Zelda. Nintendo will never ever be able to please the whole Zelda fanbase with one game. At most they can please one half and piss off the other half.

that seems like a pretty legitimate response to me

been playing a bunch of Final Fantasy X

so people were complaining that FFXIII was just a linear corridor, but I'm like 10 hours into X and I'm pretty sure I'm just on a straight train track with no turns in this game. Did people generally like X?

I didn't like X much either (but I did beat it). I think the reason why people give FFXIII more shit than X is because XIII came after XII which many feel moved the series forward and these same people feel that Square went backwards with XIII. You went from manually controlling your character position on the battlefield to the old FF formula. Many saw FFX as the pinnacle of the old FF formula, and FFXII as the start of a more modern formula.

That and for many, FFX had the more interesting characters and world. Me personally, I thought the FFX characters were just okay, but do still feel they were the better cast than FFXIII.

royalan

Have scaled leveling brehs

Suffer by drawing or make the game a cakewalk be refining brehs

Live and die by your summons brehs

Have a terrible story on top of all of this brehs

I'm not a fan.

see, now we know what Jay Z and Solange were fighting about...

i02hIUOndjVyW.gif

Onemic

FF8 is a good game.. gotta replay it soon properly understanding the Junction system tho.

Even though viii is one of my personal faves, I understand why its not seen in that good a light and the junction system is a big reason for that. Once you figure out how it works you pretty much break the game

Malyse

FF and Zelda are the two franchises that have the least civil fanbases if you ask me. Nobody in either fanbase agrees on why the games are good, what makes them what they are, etc. Understandable for FF because the developers wipe the slate mostly clean with each new game (and people should just recognize that and move on), but it irritates the fuck out of me with Zelda. Nintendo will never ever be able to please the whole Zelda fanbase with one game. At most they can please one half and piss off the other half.
Yeah go talk to the Dark Souls fanbase

ReiGun

Nah, FF8 is still trash
Chill, B.

That meme where Miyamoto is trying desperately to understand what the fanbase wants is so real. Especially when it comes to the 3-D games.

XII is my favorite FF.

You're one of the good ones. Square needs to bring International Zodiac Job System version to the US as a HD remake. I'd buy that shit so quick.
My niggas. Replaying 12 now and it's still so good (fuckboy Vaan aside).

royalan

That meme where Miyamoto is trying desperately to understand what the fanbase wants is so real. Especially when it comes to the 3-D games.

No it's not.

The problem with how Nintendo tends to handle the Zelda franchise is that they switch it up so drastically with each iteration. Combine this with their general tone deafness when it comes to what gamers actually want, and you end up in the situation where Nintendo actually ends up throwing out the good shit people liked from the previous game instead of building on it.

Malyse

VI is easily my fave.

----

It's kinda weird how games like Bayonetta and Senran Kagura have this huges disconnect between the portrayal of the character and their personality/the story in the games. Bayo is insanity mixed with incredibly solid gameplay mixed with pandering to the point of comedy mixed with a completely kick ass heroine. Senran Kagura is sexualitized to the point of being indefensible, particularly creepy considering the age of the characters (I think like two of them are 18 or older. And there's like 20 characters), but the characters themselves have arcs and motivations and the visual novel styled story is way better than it has any business being. And honestly, SK is One of if not the best beat em ups on the market. The game plays fantastic which only makes the fact that there is a mode where you literally blow on the mic to make the characters skirt fly up even mode baffling. It also makes the fact that the anime was fucking insufferable make less sense. I guess they just going after that otaku dollar. I wish the gameplay wasn't attached to something so fucking skivvy. And iirc, oneechanbara was pretty girl power too. But that game is trash.

I had a lot more thoughts on that than anticipated.

Young Magus

I'm down to try xii again if it's re-released on PS3/4. Dont keep my ps2 around to play it.

VIII is not THAT bad, broken as hell yes but not bad. IX is good as is VII. Still need to finsh X. Liked VI
But its a bit overrated

What are your thoughts on V BCT?

Infinite

No it's not.

The problem with how Nintendo tends to handle the Zelda franchise is that they switch it up so drastically with each iteration. Combine this with their general tone deafness when it comes to what gamers actually want, and you end up in the situation where Nintendo actually ends up throwing out the good shit people liked from the previous game instead of building on it.
i dont really think this of the series. the only thing i see people begging for really is 'realistic' art and render style after they did wind waker. i feel like every zelda game has its own set of flaws unique to that iteration but the things they do keep in each series is generally improved upon

royalan

i dont really think this of the series. the only thing i see people begging for really is 'realistic' art and render style after they did wind waker. i feel like every zelda game has its own set of flaws unique to that iteration but the things they do keep in each series is generally improved upon

Then why do they keep fucking up the overworld then? That's like, the biggest thing you'll hear from Zelda fans. An overworld like Ocarina that actually has shit to do in it. But they fuck it up every time because they always try to do it differently instead of just doing that.

Infinite

Then why do they keep fucking up the overworld then? That's like, the biggest thing you'll hear from Zelda fans. An overworld like Ocarina that actually has shit to do in it. But they fuck it up every time because they always try to do it differently instead of just doing that.
didn't play twilight princess but i feel like this only applies to wind waker.

I don't really judge people on how they spend their free time, but HB needs to take a step back from the computer for a few days. I'm just like
aNQGPrJ.png
at this point.

ReiGun

No it's not.

The thing is people rarely agree on what the good shit is.

Should it look like Wind Waker? Twilight Princess? Something in between like Skyward Sword? Should the layout have a big overworld, or something a bit more intimate, tied to a central location like Majora (edit: Though as you point out, we all seem to agree the overworlds are too damn big)? Which game should the dungeon design be based on? What innovations should they introduce? What kind of items should carry over? Are all the games too much alike or are they changing too much? It's easy to get the Zelda fanbase to agree on the essence of what makes a Zelda title; much harder to agree on the specifics. That said, every 3-D has its ardent defenders* so it's not like Nintendo is churning out crap from one game to next.

Note I'm only talking about the 3-D games here. 2-D top down Zelda, like 2-D Mario, has mostly focused on refining what Nintendo did on the Snes. As a result, there's a lot less bickering about each other.

*Save Skyward Sword, I guess; haven't played it but the consensus seems to be it was a disappointment. Still, Ocarina to Twilight is a damn fine run of games, even if people can't agree on what makes each individual one work compared to its brethren.

I don't even remember if I finished it. The characters are forgettable, and so is the plot.

The gameplay though...

That job system is fantastic.
Pretty much.

I need the job system to come back to the main series. Square plz.

ReiGun

Smart Guy was meh. Watched some reruns and it remains meh.

Sister Sister was cool. I was among the many boys who had a crush on Tia and Tamara.

FFT was my favorite FF game. would love to see them do another but they wont

After A2, I don't. That shit was garbage.

Mortemis

Banned
FFX was really fun, but I have no idea how much it holds up. It was my first FF, gonna try it out again in a little bit when I get the hd version, but I can't help but feel I'll be disappointed. FF8 still holds up, and I'll take the L from others by saying I liked it more than VII. XII still slays all of them tho.

FFT was my favorite FF game. would love to see them do another but they wont

Square needs to bring back FFT in a good way. What a fucking waste of potential, shit's stupid.

Infinite

Smart Guy was meh. Watched some reruns and it remains meh.

Sister Sister was cool. I was among the many boys who had a crush on Tia and Tamara.

After A2, I don't. That shit was garbage.
yeah A2 was indeed garbage. the bazaar system nuked the flow of the game

Mortemis

Banned
Is DA:I really all that bad? I know it's gaming side's hype backlash time but I remember reading here how fucking shitty the combat was (think it was angelus?) but the rest of the game was solid.

A2 didn't have Matsuno on it, it was destined to be shit.

Is DA:I really all that bad? I know it's gaming side's hype backlash time but I remember reading here how fucking shitty the combat was (think it was angelus?) but the rest of the game was solid.

I was very vocal about how shitty the combat is. But yea, the rest of the game is pretty damn good to me. Like I never look forward to combat in DA:I, I honestly go out of my way to avoid it if I can. It gets tolerable once you unlock more skills. If DA:I had the combat of like Dragon's Dogma...*wipes brow*. Shit would have been GOAT status.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
Speaking of job system, I need to do another run through of FFT.

Tactics Ogre >
A2 didn't have Matsuno on it, it was destined to be shit.

I was very vocal about how shitty the combat is. But yea, the rest of the game is pretty damn good to me. Like I never look forward to combat in DA:I, I honestly go out of my way to avoid it if I can. It gets tolerable once you unlock more skills. If DA:I had the combat of like Dragon's Dogma...*wipes brow*. Shit would have been GOAT status.

The gaming world isn't ready for that. Straight up.

Just think - that includes multiplayer. Breh. No.

Mortemis

Banned

If it was tolerable enough to finish such a long game then I guess its not that bad. I'll probably try it out soon.

Tactics Ogre >

The gaming world isn't ready for that. Straight up.

Just think - that includes multiplayer. Breh. No.

Itsuno needs to write "how to make combat good" for the west. I wouldn't be able to handle that.

DY_nasty

If it was tolerable enough to finish such a long game then I guess its not that bad. I'll probably try it out soon.

Itsuno needs to write "how to make combat good" for the west. I wouldn't be able to handle that.
The combat isn't great but its not a shitfest. It sits right in the middle. There are times when it shines and times when it just fizzles hard. The biggest issue by far is that the Tactical View in this iteration of DA is absolutely terrible.

I remember, I was on GAF and the feedback was jokes. The reactions to the E3 and Sony's E3 response was jokes too.

Also, DY......what is the blue hell is up with your tag and why did you get it?
Has to be bish lol. No clue

I did two playthroughs of FFT this past summer, don't think I can play it again for a while.
Tactics Ogre needs love. Game was way ahead of its time.

I like Dragon Age Inquisition. Played it twice and had a lot of fun both times. Is it perfect? Fuck no, but it's a decent game and well worth playing. Some of the hyperbole from people about the "grinding" is ridiculous. How can you have people playing an RPG who don't want to do any side quests?

DY_nasty

I like Dragon Age Inquisition. Played it twice and had a lot of fun both times. Is it perfect? Fuck no, but it's a decent game and well worth playing. Some of the hyperbole from people about the "grinding" is ridiculous. How can you have people playing an RPG who don't want to do any side quests?

the complaints are getting stupid too. "i don't want to grind for power! finding those shards is a huge waste of time"

i had over 300 power just sitting around after using it on everything. everything

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom