• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT X| Thread's Up, Don't Lurk

Status
Not open for further replies.

jWILL253

Banned
No, please don't. No one do this. I get what you are getting at jWILL but this is an awful idea.

Second this :/

The fucked up thing about that video is the after story behind it. If he would have held off, the charges would have been resolved.

Ugh. A'ite, I edited the post.

My point is, everyone out here thinking suicide is an easy option for everyone involved until you see how that shit actually plays out and who it hurts the most.

Would it truly be considered piracy if you download a show that's part of a cable package you purchase?
3670bfl.png

Trey

I started watching Kuroko no Basket last night, and this is the dumbest corniest shit I've ever seen - but I found myself 6 episodes deep by the time I went to bed. Analyzing skill by mere sight? Non presence on the court? This shit is terrible, and yet I can't look away. Please tell me they eventually start playing internationally, and it delves into Hajime no Ippo's racial superiority bullshit. Cause I'll be hyped as fuck.

Best thing about Eyeshield 21, an American football anime, was when they played America and lost because of some nigga from the hood being the nicest football player on the planet.

It was so tonedeaf but hilariously awesome.

I feel like my game / novel / music universe is going to piss off so many of the big gamer demographics

The "mysterious precursor race" are nearly 100% benevolent and almost completely demilitarized, they're tri-gender (doesn't come up a lot but the "what pronouns do you want" discussion happens), practice a variety of religions and moderated piety is viewed as healthy, they go out of their way to dissassemble majority cultures and eliminate cases of racism, classism, etc

All the playable characters are diverse and go out of their way to stay politically correct. The one "white" male character takes elements from Japanese and steampunk culture, is a known racist tasked with assassinating specified bloodlines because he's a racist piece of shit and basically the token evil teammate. On the other hand, the character that would usually be shoehorned into that role is an elderly Space Eastern woman who was a victim of institutionalized racism and is portrayed as a relatable, empowering feminist character. The physically strongest character is a woman and the whole "men are naturally stronger" debacle doesn't even exist because of how advanced the standard of living is. Two of the best CQC fighters are gay and bi males, the best bounty hunter in the world is an intelligent, fleshed-out black woman. The "president of the humans" is a short black dude.

One of the most notable examples is a character who would normally be viewed as a "big good" character with a deep voice, cool-ass armor, superpowers out the ass, leading an army of spartan-esque cryomancers is actually one of the key villains known for being an out-of-touch racist that doesn't know the line between subjectivity and objectivity and abused his kid on the down-low.

There's also a big twist regarding the implied / actual race and sex of the creator of the world, but it's a pretty major reveal. I can already see people fuming over it, though.

For the most part traditional majorities, hetereonormativity, prejudices based on race, gender or sexual orientation don't exist, and the characters that exhibit what we would consider "diet racist" tendences are usually pretty crappy people. It also explores some themes regarding institutionalized racism, classism, conspiracies, etc. with very clear undertones regarding things like "it was a different time." The aforementioned racist steampunk samurai white dude is viewed as one of the most alien playable characters in the game by his peers, and he's up against religious bug-people civil engineers, shape-shifting lawyer cops, One Punch Man's construction-working redheaded sister, etc.

I honestly just can't wait until the "this plot is too alien for me" complaints start rolling in.

Trey

I feel like my game / novel / music universe is going to piss off so many of the big gamer demographics

The "mysterious precursor race" are nearly 100% benevolent and almost completely demilitarized, they're tri-gender (doesn't come up a lot but the "what pronouns do you want" discussion happens), practice a variety of religions and moderated piety is viewed as healthy, they go out of their way to dissassemble majority cultures and eliminate cases of racism, classism, etc

All the playable characters are diverse and go out of their way to stay politically correct. The one "white" male character takes elements from Japanese and steampunk culture, is a known racist tasked with assassinating specified bloodlines because he's a racist piece of shit and basically the token evil teammate. On the other hand, the character that would usually be shoehorned into that role is an elderly Space Eastern woman who was a victim of institutionalized racism and is portrayed as a relatable, empowering feminist character. The physically strongest character is a woman and the whole "men are naturally stronger" debacle doesn't even exist because of how advanced the standard of living is. Two of the best CQC fighters are gay and bi males, the best bounty hunter in the world is an intelligent, fleshed-out black woman. The "president of the humans" is a short black dude.

One of the most notable examples is a character who would normally be viewed as a "big good" character with a deep voice, cool-ass armor, superpowers out the ass, leading an army of spartan-esque cryomancers is actually one of the key villains known for being an out-of-touch racist that doesn't know the line between subjectivity and objectivity and abused his kid on the down-low.

There's also a big twist regarding the implied / actual race and sex of the creator of the world, but it's a pretty major reveal. I can already see people fuming over it, though.

For the most part traditional majorities, hetereonormativity, prejudices based on race, gender or sexual orientation don't exist, and the characters that exhibit what we would consider "diet racist" tendences are usually pretty crappy people. It also explores some themes regarding institutionalized racism, classism, conspiracies, etc. with very clear undertones regarding things like "it was a different time." The aforementioned racist steampunk samurai white dude is viewed as one of the most alien playable characters in the game by his peers, and he's up against religious bug-people civil engineers, shape-shifting lawyer cops, One Punch Man's construction-working redheaded sister, etc.

I honestly just can't wait until the "this plot is too alien for me" complaints start rolling in.

Even though it's counter culture, it sounds real tropey. Being subversive is fine, but you still want to have an interesting story besides.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
wowwwwwwwwwwwww

i feel like a scumbag

just realized that gaf only lets you send 1 pm at a time

got like 200 more pms to send smfh

edit: shoutout to nakazato for bringing it to my attention

Even though it's counter culture, it sounds real tropey. Being subversive is fine, but you still want to have an interesting story besides.

There are three big acts that are divided into smaller arcs, and there is a bigger cohesive story that comes out of all of it. I was just highlighting some of the particular stuff I think is going to make certain people uncomfortable. Characters aren't really ever "X race, Y gender, Z orientation" for the hell of it. There are a lot of circumstances at play and each character goes far out of their way to justify their respective circumstances, with varying degrees of interconnectedness. It probably seems excessive at first because you have to play a story spanning a world around a billion strong featuring 8 different (playable) species and all sorts of associated nationalities, cultures, etc. But I'm taking steps to make sure the characters make names for themselves and aren't just "oh look, here's another diverse character, how exotic!" It's also a "standalone" world that doesn't actually have people that are pre-existing (real world) nationalities, though some examples like "Space Eastern" have to be made for relatability's sake. There are some specific parallels drawn, in addition to that, like the Space Easterns facing similar prejudices in their (distant) history to that of practitioners of Jewish faith.

Malyse

wowwwwwwwwwwwww

i feel like a scumbag

just realized that gaf only lets you send 1 pm at a time

got like 200 more pms to send smfh

edit: shoutout to nakazato for bringing it to my attention

I was assuming you hated me. Not that this disproves it, but that's what I was assuming.

I'm in that same boat. My story has no white men in it and a mostly female cast. But I'm not going to delve deep into racial and sexual issues, mine is more a thesis on the nature of free will and happiness, coupled with the colloquialism "One man's freedom fighter is another man's terrorist" and blurring the lines between good and evil.

----

Me and Sub starting a indie game studio.

TheOGB

Banned

Huh. That just makes my story look like "Lesbians in Egypt". How long you been working on this Sub?

Huh. That just makes my story look like "Lesbians in Egypt". How long you been working on this Sub?

Brainstorming on and off since about summer of 2013. Current plan of action for content is Album 1 -> Novel -> Something playable (arena multiplayer) -> something formally released as playable with some extra goodies along the way. Album's out and distributed now, novel's got chapter one complete. General idea is ~1 big piece of media release every autumn.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom