• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT X| Thread's Up, Don't Lurk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
How is saying you don't own the thing you bought not bullshit?
Well everyone agreed to it for one. That's like renting a movie and then being mad you have to bring it back. Most things you buy that are like this, especially software, often state you do not explicitly own it, you are merely purchasing a lifetime license, but one which can be revoked at the creators discretion. You might not like it but you agreed to it when you put money down so that's the way it is. A lot of people dislike this state of affairs but I have yet to see it come up as a problem except in rare circumstances.

Trey

Well everyone agreed to it for one. That's like renting a movie and then being mad you have to bring it back. Most things you buy that are like this, especially software, often state you do not explicitly own it, you are merely purchasing a lifetime license, but one which can be revoked at the creators discretion. You might not like it but you agreed to it when you put money down so that's the way it is. A lot of people dislike this state of affairs but I have yet to see it come up as a problem except in rare circumstances.

That's not quite true. The EULA has been savaged in court before. That's why all these newer agreements have class-action lawsuit language now.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
That's not quite true. The EULA has been savaged in court before. That's why all these newer agreements have class-action lawsuit language now.
That's true. So from what I understand the newer agreements now state you're waiving your right to pursue a class action suit when you agree to their terms right? Figures. And I did actually think of a circumstance that this has been a huge problem for, which is music. I remember reading something about iTunes getting sued when they still had DRM on every song for locking a ton of people whose computers crashed out of their music.

Malyse

I disagree. For example, I might not like the way the steam ecosystem works, but if I want the best chance at selling my game I'll work inside it.

How is saying you don't own the thing you bought not bullshit?

Because you can't own the code and there not be far standing issues that go with that.

I "bought" my iPhone but I don't own iOS. Welcome to software. When you release your game, you'll see. Unless you plan to open source that bad boy, if so then more power to you. But somehow I doubt you're going to open source your game, the code, the audio, and everything else. If you don't, then the people who will eventually buy it don't really "own" it. You've merely given them a license. But the idea of consumers being able to "own" the software they purchased has far reaching implications that most people haven't thought of. There's a happy median that exists and it works very well.

Ownership denotes one can do with what they like, if you say consumers "own" the software they purchase then you're saying they can do with the software what they like to include redistributing that software modified or otherwise and charging for it. Which means developers also have to release their source code. If one follows the logical progression, they should come to the conclusion fairly quickly how that's a bad thing.

What most of you are really arguing for are just more lax licensing agreements allowing you to resale the software (again the medium it comes on supersedes any licensing that doesn't allow you to do so since you "own" the medium anyways) and have conflated that with ownership. When it comes to digital distribution...I say give up on the delusion of being able to resell your software. It's probably never going to happen, and if it does, expect your margins to not be very high as the developers are definitely going to want a cut and because you're on a digital platform dealing with keys...them getting a cut isn't too hard if it does happen.

Not everything should be open source, and I say this as a big proponent of open source software.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
I disagree. For example, I might not like the way the steam ecosystem works, but if I want the best chance at selling my game I'll work inside it.
Could always use Origin instead.

...oh wait you said you wanted your game to sell.

I will say that it is true Steam has created a power vacuum of sorts. The compromise I see most often is with stuff like the Humble Indie bundles which often give you a steam code along with the actual game client so even if for some reason Steam takes it all away you still have a standalone client. I pretty much agree with what Angelus is saying here, I don't have any issue with not truly "owning" the software I buy.

blacked the FUCK out last night, Rio levels

we did it brehs
orange4.gif

giphy.gif

But you have 2 blogs about Disney,,,,,,,
han.gif

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
I shower every day, twice a day if it's post-exercise or before going out on a date or other social engagement. Trouble with showering too much in the winter is my skin gets dry as fuck, but that is what lotion is for.

I shower every day, twice a day if it's post-exercise or before going out on a date or other social engagement. Trouble with showering too much in the winter is my skin gets dry as fuck, but that is what lotion is for.

If by lotion you mean Shea or cocoa butter. Word.

Lotion is like putting flavored water on your skin.

Trey

Gaming side fulla hating ass niggas. Man throws a party in his new 70 million dollar house and all some of those folks can conjure up is "is he depressed?" "He'll be broke in two years."

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
If by lotion you mean Shea or cocoa butter. Word.

Lotion is like putting flavored water on your skin.
I never know what the get with Shea or cocoa butter but I've heard people recommend it before. I know next to nothing about skincare, never really pay attention to it except in the winter when my skin gets double fucked dry by hot showers and the hot compressed air blowing out of vents.

Gaming side fulla hating ass niggas. Man throws a party in his new 70 million dollar house and all some of those folks can conjure up is "is he depressed?" "He'll be broke in two years."

And the thing is the house was only like what? 7% of his worth? Dudes on gaming side stay mad salty. Probably all living at home with their mom and dad in their basement and shit....but they got that new Amiibo tho!

I never know what the get with Shea or cocoa butter but I've heard people recommend it before. I know next to nothing about skincare, never really pay attention to it except in the winter when my skin gets double fucked dry by hot showers and the hot compressed air blowing out of vents.

Honestly any shea/cocoa butter will do so much more for your skin than any lotion will.

Slayven

Big Sean really dodged a bullet with this girl. Watching that video...her face is all kinds of fucked up, and she doesn't seem to be all the way there.

Edit: watched the entire thing.

Nah...she has to go.

Showering every day is not a "white people" thing. This chick...nah....naaaaaaaaaaaaaaah!
She seem kind of spacy, wasn't there some rumors that she like to throw shit?
hahahah oh what?

i will shower 3-4-5 times a day if i feel like i need it. summer is no joke.
Georgia Humdity is no joke, air be so thick you can choke on it

Notch? Dude is set for life, let a player play.

She seem kind of spacy, wasn't there some rumors that she like to throw shit?

Wouldn't shock me considering her showering habits.

And unfortunately because this is America, this chick is the spokesperson for all black people now, so now add "niggers don't shower" to the list of nonsense.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
I wonder how Major, Albert, Yusuf, Phil, and the rest of the 9 to 5ers at Microsoft feel seeing the years of revenue and hard work they've put in at MS being spent so frivolously.
Guy can't even throw a fucking house party without console warriors trying to cut in

Slayven

I remember the first time I went to Augusta. Came out of that airport smelling pine tar and it felt like I was under 3x earth gravity.

Right.
The one time I went to St. Augustine Florida, shit was worse.

Wouldn't shock me considering her showering habits.

And unfortunately because this is America, this chick is the spokesperson for all black people now, so now add "niggers don't shower" to the list of nonsense.

Her last name is Rivera, so Beef people's going to catch some shit too.

Young Magus

In other words, Carlton just as likely to be depressed as Jazzy. #nublack is no protection.

Remember when Carlton thought those cops were just doing their job, but Will knew they were dirty?

Damn y'all taking me back. Fresh Prince had some good serious episodes.

----

DMC HD on sale @ PSN, going to get it but heard tons and tons of shit bout 2. No game can be that bad right, right?

Malyse

Damn y'all taking me back. Fresh Prince had some good serious episodes.

----

DMC HD on sale @ PSN, going to get it but heard tons and tons of shit bout 2. No game can be that bad right, right?

DMC2 is one of the biggest dropped balls in gaming history.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom