• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT X| Thread's Up, Don't Lurk

Status
Not open for further replies.

D i Z

So, I got the job.

RVP-20140904-171534298.gif

Congrats yo.

So the box braids thread convinced me to check out this thread.

*waves*

Um, hi.

Sup.

That Milestone news should make me happy. I just don't know tho.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
MMOs are a dead genre.

Or at least, paid subscription ones are.

The problem is that to charge a monthly fee for access to a virtual world, you need a game that emphasizes the massively multiplayer aspect. You need people and their friends (and the friends they make in the game) to need to come back to keep interacting with each other in fun, gameplay related ways.

Unfortunately, most MMOs are so concerned with wanting to get a TON of players that they make everything in the game super accessible, so that people don't get frustrated and leave, which usually means that you can do almost everything yourself, which means the game is barely multiplayer at all. People just run through the content, group once or twice, and then they're done with your theme park ride and they stop paying.

WoW still works because it's WoW and they had a ridiculously huge userbase before the market started collapsing, so even if they lose a couple million users it doesn't matter too much. Eve Online works because that game is almost entirely about interactions between players and the factions they form. FF14 works because Final Fantasy is still popular (though let's not forget that they essentially had to reboot that game.) Star Wars could have been huge, but it had too much of an emphasis on single player storytelling.

Malyse

The problem is that to charge a monthly fee for access to a virtual world, you need a game that emphasizes the massively multiplayer aspect. You need people and their friends (and the friends they make in the game) to need to come back to keep interacting with each other in fun, gameplay related ways.

Unfortunately, most MMOs are so concerned with wanting to get a TON of players that they make everything in the game super accessible, so that people don't get frustrated and leave, which usually means that you can do almost everything yourself, which means the game is barely multiplayer at all. People just run through the content, group once or twice, and then they're done with your theme park ride and they stop paying.

WoW still works because it's WoW and they had a ridiculously huge userbase before the market started collapsing, so even if they lose a couple million users it doesn't matter too much. Eve Online works because that game is almost entirely about interactions between players and the factions they form. FF14 works because Final Fantasy is still popular (though let's not forget that they essentially had to reboot that game.) Star Wars could have been huge, but it had too much of an emphasis on single player storytelling.

I forgot about EVE. Pity about World of Darkness. I hope Black Desert comes out soon.

andthebeatgoeson

Thanks guys.

I'm a part of a few black nerd groups on Facebook so I know the deal.

I've been lurking here and there and figure this was great spot for me.

And yes, the intro.

I was born in Philly, raised in Wilmington, DE

I currently reside in Richmond, VA

I turn 36 in April (Old enough to remember Alfonso Ribero selling videotapes on how to breakdance to kids throughout America)

I'm black. And according to my mom my great grandmother was half white, half Cherokee and my great great grandfather was half Egyptian.

I listen to whatever music sounds good to me.

I work customer service for a health care organization

I am Baptist (Preacher's kid)

I'm in gaming, animation, collecting transformers and other Japanese designed robots, collecting Sega Saturn goods, pro wrestling

The best chicken I've ate came from the Acme supermarket in Delaware.

Monica! Welcome. Only one question for you:
Cheese whiz or the correct answer, Hell naw to cheese whiz?

D i Z

He's not really in the X-Men, plus he's Spider-Man. Who has better survivability?

I, for one, am pleased about Milestone. It may wind up not being great but at least it's being given the chance to exist.

I'm just weary of them being done like Wildstorm. You know what? Scratch that. I'm weary of a readership that most likely won't support this, given the current climate of fandom.

I played a bit of ESO during the Beta. It was actually good. Not good enough for that sub price they were pushing. They could have had it good at lower than 10 bucks for a while tho.

Trey

MMOs are a dead genre.

Or at least, paid subscription ones are.

I just play Guild Wars 2, I'm more than happy with just that.

Malyse

I'm just weary of them being done like Wildstorm. You know what? Scratch that. I'm weary of a readership that most likely won't support this, given the current climate of fandom.

I played a bit of ESO during the Beta. It was actually good. Not good enough for that sub price they were pushing. They could have had it good at lower than 10 bucks for a while tho.

I just play Guild Wars 2, I'm more than happy with just that.

Call me spoiled, but I really want to play MMO's with a controller. FFXIV sort of ruined that for me and I'm hoping that Vindictus and Secret World get console ports at some point.

ReiGun

This is my biggest concern. Half the audience doesn't give a shit about anything that's not DC/Marvel or whatever indie darling the scene is stanning for this week, and the other half talk a big game about wanting diversity, but won't put their money where their mouth is.

As for Hudlin's involvement, as long as he isn't writing anything, whatever. I care far more about the creatives who are actually producing the work.

Malyse

I'll send you a friend request..you won't find one trophy. All I play is Isaac..and I've taken a break from that for a couple of weeks now..because of my wife.

All that tells me is that someone is playing on her account :3
and you should have friend requested me ages ago.

That's the real issue tbh. It's why I can't be mad at the creators, at least they're making it. If the fans don't buy it it'll just die before it gets to be good.

------

I dislike MMO's but I need to give that Black Desert character creator a spin.

Malyse

That's the real issue tbh. It's why I can't be mad at the creators, at least they're making it. If the fans don't buy it it'll just die before it gets to be good.

------

I dislike MMO's but I need to give that Black Desert character creator a spin.

Play EVE and PSO2. They both have excellent character creators. Two of the best in gaming.

----

BRUH.

Taisha Marie.

c7c37fc74fda12661b5d5c83658264ec.425x283x1.jpg

WoW will live until Blizzard decides to kill it because people feel invested in their characters. FF14 works because people are devoted to the brand and Square doesn't mind having a relatively small sub base. Star Wars lost a ton of subs due to extremely buggy Raids on release. The single player storytelling was widely praised actually. The PvP however, not so much. But it was definitely Raid bugs that lost cost them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom