• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT X| Thread's Up, Don't Lurk

Status
Not open for further replies.

ReiGun

Is that Malik Yoba? Oh man, I ain't recognize him.

ayo.gif

This was just....wow.

Wow.

This shit is fucking terrible.

I'm about to watch the next three episodes. This is fuckery done right.

Gorillaz

holy shit why is the online for smash 3ds so terrible I thought people were joking about it but jesus christ nintendo

and people defend this company using what is considered good wifi in like 2002
cUxnU.png

ReiGun

Obama called Terrence Howard's character over some hurt feelings? huh?

Every second Cookie and her assistant aren't onscreen is a second wasted.

royalan

Obama called Terrence Howard's character over some hurt feelings? huh?

Every second Cookie and her assistant aren't onscreen is a second wasted.

"I'm Head of the Motherfuckin State, Nigga! I brought you CHANGE, Nigga. What the fuck you THANKIN, Nigga!?"

ReiGun

You know that is only TV. Obama in real life wouldn't waste his time over that silly shit.

Just the thought that the show believed he would is hilarious. Like was Bams was in a meeting with an Ambassador from the UK and Biden ran in the room like "I'm sorry to interrupt, but Barack...your name on the streets. Lucious's son say you a sellout."

"What? After they was just in White House garden having tea with me and Michelle? Hold up, lemme make this call."

"I'm Head of the Motherfuckin State, Nigga! I brought you CHANGE, Nigga. What the fuck you THANKIN, Nigga!?"
"Barack, you don't have to use that kind of language." :(

Malyse

Katy Perry is performing after boobgate? NFL is slipping and needs to go back to the Rolling Stones. Motley Crue is up there now so find them and let them perform. If Katy Perry can perform then so can Nicki. Give T-Pain the Bruno Mars slot.

I haven't had cable since 2004, what am I missing besides Scandal?
Scandal is a network TV show.

"Barack, I'm sorry. I'll-"
"Nigga, who the fuck is you callin Barack? Mottherfucka, it's Mr. President to you, triflin ass motherfucka. Keep my name out yo mouth."

Kreed

Tell me he is just hiding him.

Nope. The main character is homophobic. In a flashback while his second son is performing at a club, we see a scene where the son is younger and he comes into the room with his parents and guests dressed like a girl. Then that scene happens.

double jump

you haven't lived until a random little kid ask you "how do you make love".
can y'all African bros explain what a modern tribe is and how they work ?

I asked a African guy I was working with a while ago to explain it but never got a straight answer.

the concept seems extremely foreign to me. Is it an extension of family ? A glorified group of people like a state ?

Sooooo, kind of running into an issue with wording here. There's a pigment mutation in my story that's sort of a halfway point between melanism and albinism that results in dark pigments, greying or white hair, and red eyes. I don't want to explicitly call it melanism because it's not only related to skin color, but the problem with coming up with a new word for it is that, well... let's just say in Romantic languages, the etymology on the word "black" got pretty screwed over by the lack of civil rights thing. I was thinking of calling the mutation "pernigris" (based on "perniger," meaning jet-black in Latin) or "carbonism" (from the Latin "carbo," which can mean black or refer to charcoal, embers, etc.). People (not just humans) that happen to have the mutation would probably just be called "red velvets" to avoid getting into the whole "calling someone black in another language" thing.

can y'all African bros explain what a modern tribe is and how they work ?

I asked a African guy I was working with a while ago to explain it but never got a straight answer.

the concept seems extremely foreign to me. Is it an extension of family ? A glorified group of people like a state ?

An African tribe is essentially group of people with shared language, culture, homeland and ancestery (not all descended from same person but a group of people) so its similar to how there are Apache, Chippewa, and Iroquois native american tribes.

So for example, I'm Ga, speak the Ga language, would typically live in or come from a specific part of Ghana, Accra, and have Kenkey, fish and fresh pepper as our main/known for dish.

Names
There are naming conventions and traditions to be adhered to, Gas dont follow the typical Ghanaian tradition of using the day of the week to be your name, its different with the incorporation of naming conventions for twins and birth order.

Festival
We celebrate Homowo which is the start of the major rainy season where we eat kpekpele (cornmeal mixed with palm nut oil and then steamed) which shares a texture similar to couscous. The kpekpele is eaten with palm nut soup.

Essentially that's what I would consider the modern african tribe, but there are so many other African tribes with distinct practices like coming of age tribal festivals where the girls considered to be of age do their dance in beads and a skirt (nothing else)

double jump

you haven't lived until a random little kid ask you "how do you make love".
An African tribe is essentially group of people with shared language, culture, homeland and ancestery (not all descended from same person but a group of people) so its similar to how there are Apache, Chippewa, and Iroquois native american tribes.

So for example, I'm Ga, speak the Ga language, would typically live in or come from a specific part of Ghana, Accra, and have Kenkey, fish and fresh pepper as our main/known for dish.

Names
There are naming conventions and traditions to be adhered to, Gas dont follow the typical Ghanaian tradition of using the day of the week to be your name, its different with the incorporation of naming conventions for twins and birth order.

Festival
We celebrate Homowo which is the start of the major rainy season where we eat kpekpele (cornmeal mixed with palm nut oil and then steamed) which shares a texture similar to couscous. The kpekpele is eaten with palm nut soup.

Essentially that's what I would consider the modern african tribe, but there are so many other African tribes with distinct practices like coming of age tribal festivals where the girls considered to be of age do their dance in beads and a skirt (nothing else)

This stuff is so interesting to me. Hope I get a chance to visit Africa one day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom