• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT11| In This Salon, Everyone Gets A Perm

Status
Not open for further replies.
except its not. there will always be a new star for folks to latch on to. plus theres the new generation of athletes like sloane coming in the williams sisters path.

like i know yall are bitter about how they treat serena but i guarantee you they would even disagree w/ yall for thinking this.

if womens tennis dies because they retire then thats about the worst possible thing for their legacy.

nobody is bigger than the game.

UFC would disagree with that. Rhonda and arguably Silva were bigger than their divisions. Nobody cares about Anderson's weight class right now, and I have no clue if women's MMA in UFC will survive past Roussey.

Infinite

except its not. there will always be a new star for folks to latch on to. plus theres the new generation of athletes like sloane coming in the williams sisters path.

like i know yall are bitter about how they treat serena but i guarantee you they would even disagree w/ yall for thinking this.

if womens tennis dies because they retire then thats about the worst possible thing for their legacy.

ratings will definitely take a hit and so will it's media presence and endorsement until that successor rises up and claims the throne. I mean there's precedent for this. Look at golf ratings after Tiger Woods injuries and slumping performances and he's not even retired from the game yet. And you can't really compare Tennis and Golf to other sports like Basketball and Football where there's an assembly line of youth trying to get into it and you damn sure can't say that about women's sports which hardly receive any publicity here in the States.

royalan

I disagree. Yeah, there are some potential stars coming up, but none of them are there yet. None of them are walking through the door slaying like the Williams sisters did. When Serena retires, of course other players will get attention because the attention will have to go somewhere. But I don't see anyone good enough to command the attention like the Williams sisters. The woman's side is really weak right now.

And don't underestimate the ability of tennis to have a lull. Just look at men's side in the US the last few years.

Nudull

Banned
Been a while since I was here. Hope you guys have been okay. I'm not really dodging this thread on purpose, but I never really felt like I was truly a part of the mainstream community (on account of my sexuality, beliefs, etc.), you know?

ChamplooJones

Formerly Momotaro

This has been proven wrong plenty of times in the past.

Been a while since I was here. Hope you guys have been okay. I'm not really dodging this thread on purpose, but I never really felt like I was truly a part of the mainstream community (on account of my sexuality, beliefs, etc.), you know?

Welcome, Nudull. Everyone is welcome here.

Numb

I can't relate to 90% of what goes on in here even when talking about donuts.
The other 10% is cool tho.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
Would you mind sharing about your sexuality and beliefs?

RP912

Banned
I can't relate to 90% of what goes on in here even when talking about donuts.
The other 10% is cool tho.

Same except the 10 percent and the fact that Dunkin Doughnuts>>>KK.

Other than that, I pop out in these parts like Brotha Man...so don't mind me :p.

DominoKid

UFC would disagree with that. Rhonda and arguably Silva were bigger than their divisions. Nobody cares about Anderson's weight class right now, and I have no clue if women's MMA in UFC will survive past Roussey.

UFC is a baby in this sports shit and every event is a fight for continued survival. Tennis been around 100+ years and it will continue to be around w/o Serena. the sport has survived multiple generations of legends going away so why would the show stop because of Serena?

ratings will definitely take a hit and so will it's media presence and endorsement until that successor rises up and claims the throne. I mean there's precedent for this. Look at golf ratings after Tiger Woods injuries and slumping performances and he's not even retired from the game yet. And you can't really compare Tennis and Golf to other sports like Basketball and Football where there's an assembly line of youth trying to get into it and you damn sure can't say that about women's sports which hardly receive any publicity here in the States.

golf (like tennis) is fine. it's not booming but it's very healthy and the new young guns can fill his shoes. it's just another dominant figure or big rivalry away from being in another boom. the history of it is too entrenched.

I disagree. Yeah, there are some potential stars coming up, but none of them are there yet. None of them are walking through the door slaying like the Williams sisters did. When Serena retires, of course other players will get attention because the attention will have to go somewhere. But I don't see anyone good enough to command the attention like the Williams sisters. The woman's side is really weak right now.

And don't underestimate the ability of tennis to have a lull. Just look at men's side in the US the last few years.

the mens side may be in a lull here because there's no american interest. it's still big worldwide though. and it will be big here again when there's an american star worth a shit.

half? Anna Kournikova never even won once.

now imagine if she actually won shit.

So when have we ever had a brother in tennis? I think I know about a French dude from Top Spin.

tsonga and monfils right now.
donald young was a beast in juniors but he's a headcase that didn't pan out.
james blake was relevant for a minute but he never won shit.
legend Arthur Ashe...

Monfils is pretty sweet but he isnt dedicated enough to ball w/ nadal, djok & fed.

Why am I still surprised that people will take the cops side on anything? This mothafucka compared stereotyping cops to stereotyping people due to race, sex, age,etc. I can't even...

Nudull

Banned
Would you mind sharing about your sexuality and beliefs?

I've always had a particular disconnect with my own community. Being queer and being agnostic, I got an extreme amount of hate from my family. You always hear about us being the most homophobic and most blindly devoted to Christanity, but it becomes a lot different when you're at the receiving end from your own people every day. Even before I knew I was LGBT and all, most black kids didn't want to be around me. I was smart, I was "white", I was a joke, I was a traitor. Years of that takes its toll, and now I feel I still struggle when I'm around other black people (especially people my age). When you feel like an outcast on both ends, it gets really to figure where the hell you stand on things.

I was afraid of talking about this here until now because I always felt like it's been partially my own fault for not connecting to my roots as much as I should.

Could you give me a history lesson on why I always see Cyborg and Ronda in the same sentence so much but they've never fought each other?

Cyborg is probably the most skilled fighter that she hasn't fought. Cyborg ended ina Carano's run as the face of women's MMA. However she had a drug suspension and they have trouble making the same weight as Cyborg is a bit bigger.

Some could say that the UFC is spoon feeding the few women's fighters to Rousey but there's really no one out there in her class but Cyborg.

Neither am I, but hey, participate and you can help make it more inclusive. I used to feel like an outcast among other black people, but eventually I found subsections that made me feel more comfortable. Eventually, I got over that feeling and just interact, though when bigoted shit pops up, I challenge it when I can.

Trey

Tiger is golf in America. Serena is Tennis. These are facts. Serena has been the most dominant athlete in the world. No one has been close to her for over a decade. Tennis will fall off sharply when she calls it quits unless another phenom shows up.

There hasn't been a promising male American prospect in years. And Sloane is okay, but she's no Serena at this point in her career.

I've always had a particular disconnect with my own community. Being queer and being agnostic, I got an extreme amount of hate from my family. You always hear about us being the most homophobic and most blindly devoted to Christanity, but it becomes a lot different when you're at the receiving end from your own people every day. Even before I knew I was LGBT and all, most black kids didn't want to be around me. I was smart, I was "white", I was a joke, I was a traitor. Years of that takes its toll, and now I feel I still struggle when I'm around other black people (especially people my age). When you feel like an outcast on both ends, it gets really to figure where the hell you stand on things.

I was afraid of talking about this here until now because I always felt like it's been partially my own fault for not connecting to my roots as much as I should.

Haaaaave you met neojubei ;p

Kreed

http://www.buzzfeed.com/lorynbrantz/princess-tiana-yasssss#.pxbAGx1YEY

I havent seen the whole movie, of disney's first black princess Tiana, but I would have loved if she had her out like this. I also agree with some of the comments that to animate that kind of hair style in 2D would be a painful process. Speaking from having no animation experience btw.

The movie had a lot of computer usage (particularly the backgrounds and vehicles) so they could have used computers to animate her hair if needed. The tricky part though would have been making it match the style of the rest of her body since you could easily notice the difference between the traditionally drawn elements and the computer ones.

royalan

Well, I will say that, although I have a reputation for being modest and quiet when it comes to my sexuality, I have never felt out of place here. You're welcome in the community.

And I'm sorry to hear about your family. They sound a lot like my own.

Jacir

The movie had a lot of computer usage (particularly the backgrounds and vehicles) so they could have used computers to animate her hair if needed. The tricky part though would have been making it match the style of the rest of her body since you could easily notice the difference between the traditionally drawn elements and the computer ones.

Thats interesting. thanks. Maybe this will happen in a sequel of some sort. Not!

Haaaaave you met neojubei ;p

Yikes lol.

akira28

...mainstream...wut

Jacir

Did the British decide to make 'kowtow' a word during their occupation of Hong Kong/China or something? Cuz hate it or love it, anglicized words are both blessings and the bane of the English language. The pronunciation is what's killing me.

jmood88

This is very wrong. Aside from Sharapova, who hasn't done much besides getting dominated by Serena, there is no one outside of the Williams sisters who the general public can name. You can't just throw some random person out there and call them a star; even when Serena was injured no one stepped up to take her place in the public consciousness.

Numb

I think you fit in here well. Feels much harder for me to fit in.It can be really crazy and hard if all you are is too connected your roots like me. 99% of the people i know and talk to are black and many are muslim like me. I basically live the same way i did when i was in africa. It is hard for me to understand and relate to the conversations that go on in here since i never experienced any of it myself only knew the african american culture through tv all my life and that can paint things differently than what they are. America was a very far away place for me and i usually never cared but seeing as the majority of this thread is america related i started learning more. I apologize for my ignorance in here by the way since these experiences are new to me. I got more warnings than i would like tho. Like not be black near cops in the US or get shot 8 times in the back. My black experiences and the ones in here are very very different.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
This is very wrong. Aside from Sharapova, who hasn't done much besides getting dominated by Serena, there is no one outside of the Williams sisters who the general public can name. You can't just throw some random person out there and call them a star; even when Serena was injured no one stepped up to take her place in the public consciousness.

I don't think tennis is ever going to be mainstream again. Only a handful of players will be household names. But that doesn't really matter. The dedicated audience may be small, but it is loyal and mostly has alot of $$$$. So if there isn't the next superstar that we all know coming soon, the sport will be fine. If you are talking about mainstream attention, then it may suffer on that front, but the stands will be packed for majors, the ad rates will be sky high, and somebody of the court will have a Beats contract.

With all that said, Sydney Leroux makes me watch women's soccer.

RedSwirl

Stuff like this is part of how "Nu Black" came about.

How are you guys gonna tell a dude who's faced constant oppression from his peers he's welcome to hop in here and tell us his story and then shit on him after?

double jump

you haven't lived until a random little kid ask you "how do you make love".
How are you guys gonna tell a dude who's faced constant oppression from his peers he's welcome to hop in here and tell us his story and then shit on him after?

who bro ?

I was just explaining what nu black is not calling that poster one. your post came right after mines and you didn't quote anyone so its kinda hard to tell who your referring to.

I see. So who is considered"Nu black"?
You could pick any random black celebrity that said something ridiculous on social media in the last few months and be in the ballpark.

Trey

What's Nu black? I see this casually mentioned in this thread but I never know exactly lu what it means.

It's a mocking term that was derived from a Pharrell interview wherein he described a "new black" as being a black person who never makes excuses and works hard to find success. Basically a crude bootstraps argument combined with racism is over/racism is perpetuated by black people implication. It was condescending and tone deaf at best, and he was roundly criticized for it. Now "new black" is more or less the latest model of the term "uncle Tom."

Onemic

It's a mocking term that was derived from a Pharrell interview wherein he described a "new black" as being a black person who never makes excuses and works hard to find success. Basically a crude bootstraps argument combined with racism is over/racism is perpetuated by black people implication. It was condescending and tone deaf at best, and he was roundly criticized for it. Now "new black" is more or less the latest model of the term "uncle Tom."

I feel like Nu black is slowly turning into a thing to use when someones opinions dont line up perfectly with your own.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football

Man, anyone is welcome here. It would be interesting to get some different voices that aren't the norm and have different topics to bring to the table. Lately the thread has been on some good, varied topics. Would love to see it continue.

I feel like Nu black is slowly turning into a thing to use when someones opinions dont line up perfectly with your own.

Honestly I think that has always been the case to some degree. We are a diverse group of people. We all aren't going to agree or should we. But to bring out the "Nu Black" or "You ain't black enough" bs is stupid. Just agree to disagree and keep it moving.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom