• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT11| In This Salon, Everyone Gets A Perm

Status
Not open for further replies.
TBH, I think "agree to disagree" is used too much, and sometimes it's used for shit that affects too many people.

Agreeing to disagree with a guy like Pharell and his garbage means he still gets to promote that shit and influence people with that backwards stuff without clear scrutiny.

Sometimes heads are just plain wrong and need to be confronted with that fact before their wrongness puts someone in danger. De-escalating conflict is normally helpful, but too much is never a good thing.

gogosox82

It's a mocking term that was derived from a Pharrell interview wherein he described a "new black" as being a black person who never makes excuses and works hard to find success. Basically a crude bootstraps argument combined with racism is over/racism is perpetuated by black people implication. It was condescending and tone deaf at best, and he was roundly criticized for it. Now "new black" is more or less the latest model of the term "uncle Tom."

Ugh. Can't believe he said that in an interview. Thanks for the explanation.

RedSwirl

What I meant was some of the kinds of people who might move towards something like "nu black" are the kinds of people who caught shit for "not being black enough" and use "nu black" as a way to lash out.

What I meant was some of the kinds of people who might move towards something like "nu black" are the kinds of people who caught shit for "not being black enough" and use "nu black" as a way to lash out.

I've seen that in practice plenty of times. But there are also those who through a mix of hard work, the right connections and resources, and luck, move up the socioeconomic ladder...

And then proceed to do the same exact thing. I don't think people were calling ASAP Ferg "not black enough". BOB? That definitely matches up.

ReiGun

I feel like Nu black is slowly turning into a thing to use when someones opinions dont line up perfectly with your own.
I agree to an extent. Some people throw it around a little too much, like all social justice based insults. However, there comes a point where someone says something not just stupid but actually kind of harmful and you just have to call it what it is.

TBH, I think "agree to disagree" is used too much, and sometimes it's used for shit that affects too many people.

Agreeing to disagree with a guy like Pharell and his garbage means he still gets to promote that shit and influence people with that backwards stuff without clear scrutiny.

Sometimes heads are just plain wrong and need to be confronted with that fact before their wrongness puts someone in danger. De-escalating conflict is normally helpful, but too much is never a good thing.
Basically this.

Mumei

Serena winning a grand slam is always an emotional moment for me, because of how much fucking adversity she goes through being a top player in that racist-ass sport. She has received so much hate over the years, I'm fucking proud of her just for still playing, but being the best on top of that? Gurl, WORK.

She gets attacked all the time for being black, a woman, and undeniably the best damn player on the court today. And everyone is just PRESSED that nobody is even close and when Serena finally retires the woman's side is going to fucking die. But at least the basics will be able to relax and no longer live in fear of having dat ass tapped when they step in the court with The Queen.

Serena Williams is America's Greatest Athlete - New Yorker

This week, as the sports world repays our slavish attention with more lousy, grotesque news, it’s worth noting that, on Sunday, the greatest American athlete in a generation won the U.S. Open, again, for the sixth time and the third year in a row.

Forget tennis for a moment, though: when I say the greatest athlete in a generation, I mean the greatest in any sport. Sorry, LeBron. Sorry, Tiger. Sorry, Derek. For fifteen years, over two generations of tennis, Williams has been a spectacular and constant yet oddly uncherished national treasure. She is wealthy and famous, but it seems that she should be more famous, the most famous. Anyone who likes sports should love Williams’s dazzling combination of talent, persistence, style, unpredictability, poise, and outsized, heart-on-her-sleeve flaws.

But not everyone loves her. Part of this is owing to the duelling -isms of American prejudice, sexism, and racism, which manifest every time viewers, mostly men, are moved to remark on Williams’s body in a way that reveals what might most charitably be called discomfort. What are they afraid of? The bodies of athletes, both male and female, are habitually on display, yet there has been something especially contentious and fraught about the ways in which Williams’s singular appearance—musculature both imposing and graceful—has been discussed. On Twitter, during the final, some people wrote admiringly about her obvious strength and fitness, but there were also observations about the size of her butt, her thighs, and suggestions that her toned arms made her look more like a male boxer or linebacker than like a women’s tennis player. Yet, while some fixate on what they see as Williams’s masculine traits, others seem to find fault in the parts of her that might be considered more feminine: her striking on-court outfits (and off-court interest in fashion) are criticized as flashy, unserious, and self-absorbed. No one, meanwhile, seems too upset by the beautiful mini-dresses worn by the likes of Maria Sharapova, and Federer’s Wimbledon cream-blazer frippery is admired as debonair.

But it’s not enough to say that Williams would be more uniformly adored if she were a white woman, or a man. Instead, the failure to fully appreciate her importance is perhaps evidence of our inability to appreciate the stubbornly unfamiliar narrative arc of her career. Williams is underloved because, at times, she has been unlovable and, in the end, mostly unrepentant about it—something that might be admired as iconoclastic in a male athlete, but rarely endears women to a wide audience. As a younger player, she was criticized for being ungenerous to her opponents in interviews; despite all the evidence of her superiority, she was expected to be humble. But the great crisis in her public persona came later, in 2009, when she was penalized the final point in her U.S. Open semifinal against Kim Clijsters after berating a line judge over a foot-fault call on the previous serve. Williams is indeed singular: she is likely the only person ever to utter on a professional tennis court, “I swear to God, I’m fucking going to take this fucking ball and shove it down your fucking throat, you hear that? I swear to God.” (Of course, John McEnroe said things that weren’t so different, and he is beloved for it.) She eventually offered a full statement of apology, and her contrition seemed sincere. But, for such misbehavior, sports fans, the old-fashioned moralists that we are, might have expected Williams to apologize for the rest of her career (and, in so doing, to give us the pleasure of forgiving her).

This summer, after a disappointing showing in the three previous Grand Slam tournaments, Williams said that she adopted a new way of thinking about the game, to put less pressure on herself by appreciating what she had already accomplished. “That’s the beauty of my career,” she said before the Open. “I don’t need to do anything at all. Everything I do from this day forward is a bonus. Actually, from yesterday. It doesn’t matter. Everything for me is just extra.” This is surely wisdom, but it is also a form of sports sacrilege. I don’t have anything to prove; I have been great—so great, in fact, that at this point winning doesn’t even matter.

But Serena did win, and in dominating fashion (without dropping a set during the entire tournament), prompting Evert and others to note that Graf’s total number of Grand Slam titles could be within Williams’s reach. She remains the future of women’s tennis, at least the immediate one. After the final point on Sunday, she collapsed on her back in joy. Later, at center court, holding the trophy and wearing a ridiculous and fabulous black blazer, she jumped into the air, bending her legs underneath her, and smiled the same bright smile that she’s been giving us for fifteen years.

Trey

Grantland also weighed in on the goddess.

The easiest thing to do with incredible Serena’s late-career dominance is to describe her as a force of nature, something irresistible and transcendent. She’s a supernova, an atom bomb. I do this all the time myself, and it’s not even inaccurate, because Serena is that good. You run the risk, though, of turning her into a sort of impersonal pulse of destruction, which is a weird thing to do, because there has seldom been a tennis player who was as compelling a personal presence as Serena. When she’s needy, angry, amused, disdainful, awkward, whatever she’s being in the moment — well, there’s always a person there who’s more obviously complex, more textured, than most of what shows up on TV. Serena has layers. And looking at her and going “SKYNET QUEEN FLAMETHROWER” has the strange effect of obscuring the fact that watching her grow up has been one of the signal experiences of 21st-century tennis.

Akainu

akira28

sometimes you have to dig in to the motherfucker. Grip his arm and don't let go, like Bernie Mac.

JMB0ENT.jpg

other times you just don't care, and converting one more noface isn't going to get you into black heaven any quicker.

Akainu

i don't know, every time i've seen nu black thrown around it's alway come from some justifiably nonsensical comment. luckily it's not a lot cause i don't care what celebrities think. i mean that common interview on the daily show was bad.

The way I see new blacks is just people deciding to play for the winning side. I don't think pharell and especially Common truly beleive all that hogwash but if coonin' around is what it takes to get them checks coming in you best believe they're going to do it. Look at Raven for example, shes eating right now

gogosox82

Thanks for these. Serena probably is one of the greatest and most dominate athletes ever but she never gets that recognition. Its a shame really.

The way I see new blacks is just people deciding to play for the winning side. I don't think pharell and especially Common truly beleive all that hogwash but if coonin' around is what it takes to get them checks coming in you best believe they're going to do it. Look at Raven for example, shes eating right now

Common too? Smh. I think I need to lay down for a minute. He is one of the last people I would thought would be into that new black stuff.

I should've saved y'all replies from last time, but what are some good black gaming Youtubers? All I have is PBS Gameshow at the moment and I don't like ModernWarNegro or AshCheekz.

Thanks for that read Mumei. Serena stay winning. I always had an admiration for her body, but it doesn't surprise me that others scold her for it.

anyone else ever use the classic theme park line cutting trick of passing by people "to get to the rest of your party" but ion actuality you're just cutting thru and planning to stop right behind a random group of other black people? my cousin put me onto that in the 90's.

Dude Guy

After lurking for years, my account is finally validated, just in time for E3. My body is ready.

Where you're from - Brooklyn
Where you live - Brooklyn
What is your age? - 25
Your cultural heritage, lineage and genealogy - Black and Hispanic
Do you know your roots - Nah
Favorite musical genre - Chillwave, Rap, Electronic, R&B, sheeeit I like everything
Your profession/major/career interest - School counseling
Your religious affiliation - Nah
Hobbies - Video games, cooking, sleeping, basketball
KFC, Popeye's, Churches, or Bojangles? - None. Rather make my own banging fried chicken

After lurking for years, my account is finally validated, just in time for E3. My body is ready.

What is your age? - 25
Favorite musical genre - Chillwave, Rap, Electronic, R&B, sheeeit I like everything
KFC, Popeye's, Churches, or Bojangles? - None. Rather make my own banging fried chicken
Ayy another dude from Brooklyn. What's up fam welcome to BCT

Shy

What is your age? - 25
Welcome to the thread new fam.

This thread maybe relevant to your interests.

akira28

I just costarred in a play in front of a packed 1300 person auditorium. Drilling and training and when it came time, it's funny how it was like nothing. I might have been bitten by the bug.

Gonna stop lurking this thread. I feel like I owe it posts for having me waste an hour or two reading through it.

Where you're from - Montgomery
Where you live - near Marysville, CA
What is your age? - 21
Your cultural heritage, lineage and genealogy - Black
Do you know your roots - Nope.
Favorite musical genre - Nearly all forms of Hip Hop. Rap.
Your profession/major/career interest - Yes.
Your religious affiliation - None.
Hobbies - Video games, music, casual internet browsing. Making music will be a thing in the future, tho.
KFC, Popeye's, Churches, or Bojangles? - I'm mad Zaxby's is not a choice on this.

anyone else ever use the classic theme park line cutting trick of passing by people "to get to the rest of your party" but ion actuality you're just cutting thru and planning to stop right behind a random group of other black people? my cousin put me onto that in the 90's.

I'm guilty of this with friends and family I'm with. We would creep behind someone in line and slowly merge in. If you move like you have a purpose, it works most of the time.

Just had 4 Mexicans try and get me to listen to thier mixtape/music with the worse pitch to look them up under the name of an entire district here in Houston

Keep your head up Gordon

Shy

Gonna stop lurking this thread. I feel like I owe it posts for having me waste an hour or two reading through it.

What is your age? - 21
Hobbies - Video games, music, casual internet browsing. Making music will be a thing in the future, tho.
KFC, Popeye's, Churches, or Bojangles? - I'm mad Zaxby's is not a choice on this.
Welcome new friend.
In mourning, BCT. I'll be gone for..who knows. I'll talk to you when I can figure out the words to say. My thanks to all of you..
Goodness, my condolences fam, take as long as you need.

take care. <3

Jacir

What is your age? - 25

Brooklyn, stand up!! Glad new people are coming aboard.

Jacir

What is your age? - 21

I'm guilty of this with friends and family I'm with. We would creep behind someone in line and slowly merge in. If you move like you have a purpose, it works most of the time.

Another one! What's up. Stay comfortable.

AYYY hombre listen to my mixtape-ito!

Damelo duro, papi.

Infinite

What is your age? - 25

Brooklyn in the house

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom