• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT11| In This Salon, Everyone Gets A Perm

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I bought a Wii U.

Feel free to make your Wii L jokes, I kind of agree with you. I just like Nintendo games.

It comes with Nintendoland and SM3DW. Might pick up Mario Kart or Splatoon next.

its a great console, fuck the haters, i would buy splatoon but it costs 75 canadian dollars, imma wait

andthebeatgoeson

Serena with her 20th grand slam singles title win

She fucked the game up, killing everyone. They're gonna throw a national parade when she retires.
I'm really hoping she ties the modern open grand slam record this year (22; Graf). But 4 in one year? That would be cray. But it's just Wimbledon and the us open. Her best tournaments.

Oh, my mom would love to be there for the us tournament.

Dereck

Yeah but i wouldn't be eating the food
WHaxKak.gif

I bet you someone will/has put their junk in them.

You did block her. Unblock her if you want to discuss it or she might not care and if you care enough to want to talk. Otherwise unfriending seems the wise choice.

Sure you can unblock her. But that goes two ways because once you do you'll be able to see info and stuff like comments and pictures might come up if you still share mutual friends. If you're prepared to run into that kind of information then by all means.

Personally I think if you blocked her before then you should just keep it that way.

Thanks guys. I unblocked her and unfriended her, so I don't expect anything to happen but a clean blocked list.

Kreed

oh yeah, I've read this stuff before in here. lol
I thought this was from the Black Jews. Didn't know The Nation preached this stuff.
Not an excuse but I just see it as there's crazy stories in all religions.

Don't know a lot about Farrakhan but I cant say I disagreed with anything he said during the Breakfast Club interview.

Overall the interview itself was fine IMO since Farrakhan toned down a lot of his usual talking points for the Breakfast club (ex: US Black people needing their own land separate from US white people, Obama being a puppet, downplaying the importance of MLK's dream speech in favor of other speeches and writings that support his separation narrative, and diseases like AIDs and Ebola being a product of the white man to kill black people off the top of my head). In the context of the interview, the way Farrakhan presented the subjects sound like anything you'd hear in a barbershop. But when he says these same subjects to his followers, they are a lot more extreme. Regardless Spin is right when he says he's corrupt in regards to using a black power religion to prey upon angry black men and women in the US to get more followers believing he's a prophet.

I thought this was Black Hebrew Israelites. Not that I actually wanna know about any of that.

They and religions like the Five Percenters are all religions based on rein-visioning history to support a narrative of black people being the superior ethnic group. Like double jump said, in the context of the religion, as long as you're just worshipping there's nothing "wrong" with people choosing to believe that. It's not like it's any more false or factual than the Bible writers making Israel the "chosen land" IMO.

Village

I need that Splatoon. Don't want to pay $59.99 for it, but I still want to play.

No price is too high for being a squid and/or kid

Seriously though there are... quite a few features from that game that should have been in at release... but are being added later

Slayven

That's gotta be tons better than what seems to be a cash in of a comic arc.

The most disturbing WHAT IN THEEE FUCK thing in it was Doomsday hitting supergirl and her fucking turning into a dead clay body

The book does a lot of leadup before the fight, you see superman/clark doing his day to day personal stuff. This was back when he was a TV reporter so it was interesting. So when he does die, the impact is better.

There is even a line about how lacking the Justice League has been without him and the other heavy hitters.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
Serena with her 20th grand slam singles title win

She fucked the game up, killing everyone. They're gonna throw a national parade when she retires.

Proud of her, especially given where she came from. The fucked up part is the only mentions I saw abou it from dudes on my social media channels was talking about her ass. Screw her accomplishments, screw all the hard work she put in, it is all about her ass.

Not going feminist here, but kind of weak that a black woman's accomplishments get boiled down to how attractive she is or isn't.

RedSwirl

They and religions like the Five Percenters are all religions based on rein-visioning history to support a narrative of black people being the superior ethnic group. Like double jump said, in the context of the religion, as long as you're just worshipping there's nothing "wrong" with people choosing to believe that. It's not like it's any more false or factual than the Bible writers making Israel the "chosen land" IMO.

I guess.

Proud of her, especially given where she came from. The fucked up part is the only mentions I saw abou it from dudes on my social media channels was talking about her ass. Screw her accomplishments, screw all the hard work she put in, it is all about her ass.

Not going feminist here, but kind of weak that a black woman's accomplishments get boiled down to how attractive she is or isn't.

The sad part is, praising her beauty has to be part of the narrative. It should just be "here is a talented and skilled athlete who is owning the game", but assholes keep calling her a gorilla and saying that she isn't good-looking. Emphasizing that they don't think she isn't good looking, even when they praise her. Emphasizing her muscularity to the point that they call her manly.

This is where the intersectionality is. Black women don't get to be beautiful in mainstream America, unless they pass the paperbag test (Halle Berry) or align with certain philosophies (Stacey "Clueless" Dash). So yeah, Serena Williams /is/ beautiful. And talented. And skilled. And the Queen of Tennis (insert pop-Gafesque YAAAAAAAAS QUEEN SLAAAY here).

Infinite

Overall the interview itself was fine IMO since Farrakhan toned down a lot of his usual talking points for the Breakfast club (ex: US Black people needing their own land separate from US white people, Obama being a puppet, downplaying the importance of MLK's dream speech in favor of other speeches and writings that support his separation narrative, and diseases like AIDs and Ebola being a product of the white man to kill black people off the top of my head). In the context of the interview, the way Farrakhan presented the subjects sound like anything you'd hear in a barbershop. But when he says these same subjects to his followers, they are a lot more extreme. Regardless Spin is right when he says he's corrupt in regards to using a black power religion to prey upon angry black men and women in the US to get more followers believing he's a prophet.

I grew up in the NOI as well as going to orthodox mosque with my Bengali neighbors in Brooklyn. Never felt that was the case about Farakhan or the NOI in totality but I do concede they have problematic viewpoints.

DominoKid

The sad part is, praising her beauty has to be part of the narrative. It should just be "here is a talented and skilled athlete who is owning the game", but assholes keep calling her a gorilla and saying that she isn't good-looking. Emphasizing that they don't think she isn't good looking, even when they praise her. Emphasizing her muscularity to the point that they call her manly.

This is where the intersectionality is. Black women don't get to be beautiful in mainstream America, unless they pass the paperbag test (Halle Berry) or align with certain philosophies (Stacey "Clueless" Dash). So yeah, Serena Williams /is/ beautiful. And talented. And skilled. And the Queen of Tennis (insert pop-Gafesque YAAAAAAAAS QUEEN SLAAAY here).

That aint a black women thing. Its a woman thing. Nobody checking for female athletes that dont look good. Serena got polarizing features. If she was half as good but better looking she'd be an absolutely massive deal.

Infinite

That aint a black women thing. Its a woman thing. Nobody checking for female athletes that dont look good. Serena got polarizing features. If she was half as good but better looking she'd be an absolutely massive deal.

hmm I think she's gorgeous though. Also since Serena is black and a woman she's gets the sexist bullshit along with the racism tossed her way at the same time.

DominoKid

Of course you think she look good. But you gotta admit in the streets its about 50/50 at best. Im not mad at anybody that say she dont look good.

Trey

Of course you think she look good. But you gotta admit in the streets its about 50/50 at best. Im not mad at anybody that say she dont look good.

nah son, she bad. People have preferences and all that, but she bad. And those opinions on her looks have nothing to do with her career, yet people bring it up constantly any way, which is the issue at hand.

She still bad though.

GET'EM

black lady telling the truth about jenner's situation.

really funny parts too.
KuGsj.gif

This is pretty much the distillation of my FB feed the last few days. So sad.

RP912

Banned
Reading through the pool party thread...

Ras Kass said it best..."It's just a sin to be a nigga".

Can't win for losing, can't lose to fucking win. Keep on keep a pushing in 2015 like it's the 60s I guess :(.

andthebeatgoeson

Okay, I just wanted to make sure. I just wonder if anyone has ever called Ronda Rousey or Gina Carano a gorilla.
Nope. Only the black women. It's not the body. Serena's body is basically code word. A physical 'thug'. Something for people to hide behind. She excels at her sport and built a physique for it and make some people afraid.

But I'm still salty over that British paper that put beauty and the beast on their cover when sharapova won over Serena. Maybe if she had Halle's face, people would spluge but not typical European means gorilla.

Serena is hot to me and could get it in any hood. Except hollyhood.

royalan

Serena winning a grand slam is always an emotional moment for me, because of how much fucking adversity she goes through being a top player in that racist-ass sport. She has received so much hate over the years, I'm fucking proud of her just for still playing, but being the best on top of that? Gurl, WORK.

She gets attacked all the time for being black, a woman, and undeniably the best damn player on the court today. And everyone is just PRESSED that nobody is even close and when Serena finally retires the woman's side is going to fucking die. But at least the basics will be able to relax and no longer live in fear of having dat ass tapped when they step in the court with The Queen.

ChamplooJones

Formerly Momotaro
Nope. Only the black women. It's not the body. Serena's body is basically code word. A physical 'thug'. Something for people to hide behind. She excels at her sport and built a physique for it and make some people afraid.

But I'm still salty over that British paper that put beauty and the beast on their cover when sharapova won over Serena. Maybe if she had Halle's face, people would spluge but not typical European means gorilla.

Serena is hot to me and could get it in any hood. Except hollyhood.

Serena has four times as many singles wins as Maria, but Maria has double the endorsements.

Reality is a bitch.

RP912

Banned
What's good with Sloane Stephens though...

I seen her play Venus during Memorial day and was impressed. Sports wise and dream wise...

uj1Wo.gif

Infinite

Serena winning a grand slam is always an emotional moment for me, because of how much fucking adversity she goes through being a top player in that racist-ass sport. She has received so much hate over the years, I'm fucking proud of her just for still playing, but being the best on top of that? Gurl, WORK.

She gets attacked all the time for being black, a woman, and undeniably the best damn player on the court today. And everyone is just PRESSED that nobody is even close and when Serena finally retires the woman's side is going to fucking die. But at least the basics will be able to relax and no longer live in fear of having dat ass tapped when they step in the court with The Queen.

so fucking true

DominoKid

so fucking true

except its not. there will always be a new star for folks to latch on to. plus theres the new generation of athletes like sloane coming in the williams sisters path.

like i know yall are bitter about how they treat serena but i guarantee you they would even disagree w/ yall for thinking this.

if womens tennis dies because they retire then thats about the worst possible thing for their legacy.

nobody is bigger than the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom