• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT11| In This Salon, Everyone Gets A Perm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shy

He's Spider-Man, he has an awesome costume, he's black, he can turn invisible, he's black, his uncle is master thief, he's black, his dad is
SHIELD
, he's black, his girlfriend is
in Hydra
, and his best friend Ganke.

Venom Blast, yo.

Also, giant boobs is a great coming of age moment.
I really like Miles. His series is a fun run and the last good thing about Ultimates.

One of my favorite moments
*looks at panels* seems like fun, i would be down for a movie with this kid.

He's Spider-Man, he has an awesome costume, he's black, he can turn invisible, he's black, his uncle is master thief, he's black, his dad is
SHIELD
, he's black, his girlfriend is
in Hydra
, and his best friend Ganke.

Venom Blast, yo.
miles.png

3064281-pete+v+miles.jpg

Also, giant boobs is a great coming of age moment.

UltSpid1802_zps6dd214cb.jpg

UltSpid1804_zps8f011b16.jpg

Right, so he has cool powers and a cool costume and you can relate. Well, I guess that's the same reason most Carol fans like her.

Black kid going through life, had to become a hero when his hero died even though he didn't want to be one at all. His mother is killed and he quits the hero business only to be pulled back in because he realized if he didn't many more people would suffer the same fate.

Basic comicbook stuff that pretty much can be attributed to 90% of superheroes even some of the bigger heroes. He hasn't been around long enough for writers to create a myriad of stories for that make him comparable to long standing heroes.

I'm totally being a bit biased here, but let me chill lol

I suppose what I'm looking for is something like a great Miles moment. Like, if any of us were asked why Doom is such a boss, we could drop 90 scans where people would be like "damn."

Peter Parker has loads of scans like that too, where he's just being so damn heroic it can't *not* inspire you. And as much as many people see Superman as bland (sorry Reigun - if it's any consolation, I liked him well enough since the Mxyzptlk episode of Superman TAS), he has plenty of moments that are the same.

Conversely, while Miles has certainly not been around very long, the best I've ever heard about him is how he occasionally makes a good Peter Parker impression. I don't hate on that since I love whenever Terry put on his Bruce impression on occasion back in Batman Begins. But that was more of a "student imitating his master" thing that I loved.

Anyways, I'm personally unconvinced that Miles is anything but bland. And yes, I tried reading USM w/ Miles in the past. You just never hear "oh, this cool shit happened in this week's issue of USM with Miles!" I could even see reasoning for liking Otto in Superior Spider-Man. Like, I didn't read the whole run, but the impressions were so good that I had to check out certain issues.

Long, silly rant. But I guess I don't have to like Miles. You guys have your reasons, and so that's fine. I respect your tastes and opinions.

More importantly...

They can't. Last I heard, they don't have the rights to him anymore.

;_;

Who does, then?!

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
Right, so he has cool powers and a cool costume and you can relate. Well, I guess that's the same reason most Carol fans like her.

I suppose what I'm looking for is something like a great Miles moment. Like, if any of us were asked why Doom is such a boss, we could drop 90 scans where people would be like "damn."

Peter Parker has loads of scans like that too, where he's just being so damn heroic it can't *not* inspire you. And as much as many people see Superman as bland (sorry Reigun - if it's any consolation, I liked him well enough since the Mxyzptlk episode of Superman TAS), he has plenty of moments that are the same.

Conversely, while Miles has certainly not been around very long, the best I've ever heard about him is how he occasionally makes a good Peter Parker impression. I don't hate on that since I love whenever Terry put on his Bruce impression on occasion back in Batman Begins. But that was more of a "student imitating his master" thing that I loved.

Anyways, I'm personally unconvinced that Miles is anything but bland. And yes, I tried reading USM w/ Miles in the past. You just never hear "oh, this cool shit happened in this week's issue of USM with Miles!" I could even see reasoning for liking Otto in Superior Spider-Man. Like, I didn't read the whole run, but the impressions were so good that I had to check out certain issues.

Long, silly rant. But I guess I don't have to like Miles. You guys have your reasons, and so that's fine. I respect your tastes and opinions.

More importantly...

;_;

Who does, then?!

The closest ive seen miles look like he was really going somewhere was when norman resurfaced. They should have kept that going for a bit longer, but i guess the time isnt on his side. However, this hydra arc looks like it could really do something for him if done right.

I mean you're still comparing heroes with decades worth of material to a hero who has what? A year and some change worht of material? Even Superior spiderman who is basically the amalgamation of two characters who have decades of writing behind them to shape how Superior would be. If Peter was a new hero and some villain took over his body it wouldn't have that same impact. People like Superior because of how long they've known Peter and know the kind of hero he is and Superior flips it giving you a fresh perspective without changing the actual Peter. But again at the very core of it, you're still ultimately arguing time.

I started reading Spiderman when I was kid and decided to start from 001, I found it boring and it didn't have any moments of "Oh man this character is awesome!". It wasn't until several upon several upon several arcs later that I started becoming a fan (that and had my friends telling me of much more recent Spiderman shenanigans and letting me borrow their issues).

You kind of say it yourself, people find Superman bland but there are moments of awesomeness. Those moments are only there because his character has been around long enough to have those moments. Peter has those moments of being so damn heroic specifically because of how long he's been around. People levy the same argument against Ms. Marvel, she's only been around for what 6 months but people are expecting her to be as deep and well rounded as characters who have been around for 10+ years. It's a completely unrealistic expectation.

When new characters are introduced, you enjoy their series for their adventure(s) and look forward to their character being developed. Established characters, you look forward to their adventure and how that adventure will affect their established character. Unfortunately way too many people expect brand new heroes to have these well established characteristics that only come with time, and because of that new comic book heroes rarely and end up being killed off or flat out forgotten by everyone. Not a sleight at you, but comicbook character development is a completely different thing than novels or movies. Nobody read the first 30 issues of Batman and crowned him top 10 hero of all time. Hell if you ask people what are the best Batman/Superman/Spiderman/Wolverine/<insert favorite here> stories that show you what the character is all about, vast majority of people aren't even going to mention the heroes first 40 issues outside of "Read this to learn how he got his powers/abilities".

Also, when Batman Beyond first came out, Terry was hella bland in all aspects. As the show (and subsequent comics) went on his character was steadily develeoped. What was once some random kid in a high tech suit became an actual developed character with his own issues, defects, problems, drives, passions. With that stated, I still think Terry is boring though.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
I mean you're still comparing heroes with decades worth of material to a hero who has what? A year and some change worht of material? Even Superior spiderman who is basically the amalgamation of two characters who have decades of writing behind them to shape how Superior would be. If Peter was a new hero and some villain took over his body it wouldn't have that same impact. People like Superior because of how long they've known Peter and know the kind of hero he is and Superior flips it giving you a fresh perspective without changing the actual Peter. But again at the very core of it, you're still ultimately arguing time.

I started reading Spiderman when I was kid and decided to start from 001, I found it boring and it didn't have any moments of "Oh man this character is awesome!". It wasn't until several upon several upon several arcs later that I started becoming a fan (that and had my friends telling me of much more recent Spiderman shenanigans and letting me borrow their issues).

You kind of say it yourself, people find Superman bland but there are moments of awesomeness. Those moments are only there because his character has been around long enough to have those moments. Peter has those moments of being so damn heroic specifically because of how long he's been around. People levy the same argument against Ms. Marvel, she's only been around for what 6 months but people are expecting her to be as deep and well rounded as characters who have been around for 10+ years. It's a completely unrealistic expectation.

When new characters are introduced, you enjoy their series for their adventure(s) and look forward to their character being developed. Established characters, you look forward to their adventure and how that adventure will affect their established character. Unfortunately way too many people expect brand new heroes to have these well established characteristics that only come with time, and because of that new comic book heroes rarely and end up being killed off or flat out forgotten by everyone. Not a sleight at you, but comicbook character development is a completely different thing than novels or movies. Nobody read the first 30 issues of Batman and crowned him top 10 hero of all time. Hell if you ask people what are the best Batman/Superman/Spiderman/Wolverine/<insert favorite here> stories that show you what the character is all about, vast majority of people aren't even going to mention the heroes first 40 issues outside of "Read this to learn how he got his powers/abilities".

Also, when Batman Beyond first came out, Terry was hella bland in all aspects. As the show (and subsequent comics) went on his character was steadily develeoped. What was once some random kid in a high tech suit became an actual developed character with his own issues, defects, problems, drives, passions. With that stated, I still think Terry is boring though.

if thats the case, compare him to the young heroes with short runs. mikey devantes, robbie reyes, jaime reyes, and kamala khan. all have interesting stories in their short series timeframes, whether the battles are internal or external. miles is directly implanted into petes life, and he still manages to middle out. honestly, i think thats most of the problem with the character right there. when kaine took over the scarlet spider, he relocated to houston and had a different cast from the usual new york people. miles is a character that instead of doing a different take with an established type, they played it safe, and now the character is suffering for it.

That's fair, but my response is basically this:

if thats the case, compare him to the young heroes with short runs. mikey devantes, robbie reyes, jaime reyes, and kamala khan. all have interesting stories in their short series timeframes, whether the battles are internal or external. miles is directly implanted into petes life, and he still manages to middle out. honestly, i think thats most of the problem with the character right there. when kaine took over the scarlet spider, he relocated to houston and had a different cast from the usual new york people. miles is a character that instead of doing a different take with an established type, they played it safe, and now the character is suffering for it.

And I wanted to add that Spidey's legendary moment started with Amazing Fantasy, when that issue took off because people immediately found something appealing about the character. Then again in ASM #33, which set a tone for Spidey. That's not that many issues in either case. Miles started off piggybacking off of Parker. But I guess some of the appeal will be in seeing him grow. Still. I feel like much of the love comes from the fact that he's black and Spider-Man. Like, if his name were changed down the line, would he still be as appealing? That literally takes one of the reasons off one of the lists given earlier.

Also, with regards to Kaine - never knew too much about him. I've never read the Clone Saga, and so all I knew about him was from MC2 Spider-Girl. So Scarlet Spider comes out, and all I really know about the dude is that he used to be a bad guy. But within the 25 issue run, I can already give you my favorite character moment:

"'With great power comes great responsibility. That's one way to go. With great power also comes the ability to rain down hell on those who prey on the weak, people who couldn't fight the monsters. To stop people like me. I think that's the way I'll go.'"

Honestly, I didn't need to know anything about Kaine before that. He didn't need the history he had (which still isn't much, comparatively). From Scarlet Spider #1 I was interested, and then I was hooked until the end. I'll admit that I haven't read Ms. Marvel. I do hear good things about the book pretty often, though.

everyone grinding to boost their geekery ratings today

How the hell did they not think of a venom bite / sting / whatever before Miles? They have spider powers!

EDIT: Might be kicking the hornet's crab bucket soon, if so it's been fun :lol

everyone grinding to boost their geekery ratings today

How the hell did they not think of a venom bite / sting / whatever before Miles? They have spider powers!

They did. Jessica Drew has a bio-electric "Venom blast".

It''s a bit annoying that every other Spider hero is Spider-Man+ yet Peter can't even keep the smallest of upgrades.
I liked The Other powers.

EDIT: Peter had both a venomous bite AND paralyzing stingers as part of his upgraded power set. Shame they got retconned.

They did. Jessica Drew has a bio-electric "Venom blast".

It''s a bit annoying that every other Spider hero is Spider-Man+ yet Peter can't even keep the smallest of upgrades.
I liked The Other powers.

EDIT: Peter had both a venomous bite AND paralyzing stingers as part of his upgraded power set. Shame they got retconned.

And even greater super-strength. Though Slott seems to really want to keep Peter's level of super-strength as vague as possible. Also, the existence of Silk kind of puts a cap on how fast Peter can be and how good his Spider-Sense can be. At least, that's the feeling I'm getting.

And even greater super-strength. Though Slott seems to really want to keep Peter's level of super-strength as vague as possible. Also, the existence of Silk kind of puts a cap on how fast Peter can be and how good his Spider-Sense can be. At least, that's the feeling I'm getting.

This is why I hate the idea of Silk. She is literally Spider-Man+. Like a super-powered Carlie Cooper. Ugh.

As for his strength, I don't mind them being vague about it as he's supposed to hold back a hell of a lot. It's just that this is (apparently) often forgotten by editorial who treat him like he's actually pretty weak.

FreeMufasa

I’m putting this here because I’ve known a lot of you for time now. Some 10+ years. I’m exhausted and something happened to me last night that’s brought me to this point. Most people in my life think I’m ok but it’s far from the truth; I’m broken. And I can’t keep pretending anymore. This is something I feel I can’t share with anyone because they won’t understand or will laugh at it being such a trivial thing. I’m depressed, here’s why.

I moved back to Tokyo from Osaka last year March. Wanted to be closer to my girl and I had a great work opportunity. My whole life I’ve been on fitness/sports hard. Was out 24/7 and joined my first football (soccer) team at 7. I started lifting light weights around 13 and got the typical football player physique. Football started getting more serious and by the time I was 18 I was playing semi-pro. Shit happened and that ended real fast. With football out I started focusing on school and picked up the main love of my life, bodybuilding. For the first 2 years I was just lifting randomly and while the gains came, I wasn’t consistent with it or my diet. It was January 2015 when I decided to start lifting scientifically and shit, the gains came. Had a trip to Japan and I made the move there in July 2012. Lifting in japan proved difficult cost wise but I worked around it and was ORN it still.

I moved to Osaka in 2013 and that’s where I met some UK mans who were on it like me. We set up some chat group and the group just blew up. We were all helping each other and transformations were mad. As I said I moved back to Tokyo last year and we all stayed in contact. We all had our goals and things would get competitive as hell. Fast-forward to July and I was at my peak. 180cm, 85kg, all muscle. I’d just stare in the mirror for time admiring my own gains sometimes. Things all went to shit August 15th.

I had a slip one day and put my body weight on my left forearm. No biggie. It hurt but I was going on a trip around then so could recover during then. Anyway it stopped hurting in a day and I went to the gym a week later, the next day I returned from the trip. On that day I woke up and said “Wow, my life is perfect now”, I kid you not. I was leading on the gym hustle between my boys, amazing girl I was planning to propose to, money was getting long, was doing some modeling etc. Went to the gym did my usual routine, got onto seated bicep curls and that’s when it happened. Felt a small twinge in my left forearm.

Felt a little strange and it was the end of my workout so I just cut a bit early. Now I’ve had quite a few injuries which always seemed bad at first. I’d freak out but they’d usually be gone within a week or 2. This really felt like nothing. Something that’d clear up in a day. Because I wasn’t in pain, it just felt a little odd. Waited out a few days and it seemed like it was gone so I was back on gym. After 10 mins in that odd feeling returns but this time accompanied by a little pain. I still kept lifting and then I noticed the next symptom, my hand was shaking. I took a few days off again but grew impatient because my first amateur competition was a few weeks away.

This is when my mind started to play tricks on me. I continued to lift because in the past whenever I had an injury I’d just work through it. Arrogance level was high. It was at this point I realized this weren’t gonna happen and my arm was seriously shaking. So I stopped going gym for about 3 weeks. I went back after that and bam, same problem. I was legit shook and powered through for another week till I finally accepted my arm was done. Literally felt like it wasn’t there.

My mind took over and the negative loop began. Paranoid about gain losses I was finding it hard to cope. I started avoiding looking at my body. My girl hasn’t seen my body in 4 months and I know she’s thinking I don’t find her attractive…..

And just like that I changed. The confident dude who’d light up rooms can barely make eye contact. I’ve avoided hanging out with all my friends because I just don’t know how to act in social situations anymore. I only really speak to Blackace and he invites me to his clubs. I make excuses not to go but I decided to go last weekend and it was hell…I don’t know how to speak to anyone anymore. Always feeling uncomfortable and keep comparing myself to dudes who I used to be bigger than. When I don’t lift, I don’t eat. I went from 3,500kcal+ a day to barely 1,500. Have lost almost everything. I tried doing running but my arm bouncing up and down brought back the pain. Tried maintaining and doing things like planks but that forearm problem is there.

And I had big plans this year…….my oldest friend in the UK was gonna come visit me this month and we planned it for a year. But I cant let him see the person ive become. This self-hating wasteman. His mom is best friends with mine so if he told her how I was she’d definitely tell my mom and I cant make her worry about me……

I was always the strong one. The one she didn’t need to worry about so I don’t wanna put that pressure on her……….so I deactivated my facebook and didn’t meet him.

I send money back to my mom cos we poor and she needs to help her family. The yen has devalued hard (abenomics) so I have to send twice as much back home. My mom just doesn’t understand inflation and takes it as me forgetting the family….and with the family my big bro has went on one. Became a deadbeat alcoholic who steals from my mom, lil bros and everyone else. My baby sister got married and knocked up by that waste of a space afghan man who threatened to throw acid on her face if she “cheated” again (which was my lil bro sending his sister a how r u text).

And then with my gf…….she’s gonna move in to my yard in April which we planned a year ago. But I can’t do that now with how I am. We were planning to start IVF n shit and now I have to break it to her she can’t come. She already left her job too and is bare excited…

Just all this shit…….as bad as it sound, is shit I’d normally be able to cope with if I was still working out. I know all the problems and that it runs deeper (body dysmorphic condition, male masculinity etc). But I really don’t need anything else in my life. Just to be able to get a good work out. I’ve been to doctors and they haven’t helped. Most night I just sit looking at my left forearm and how its fucked my life up. Wishing I could cut it off and be done with all this.

Reading through this now and it all sounds so ridiculous. It should be a none issue but its damaged me so much. Sometimes I feel this is karma. I’ve done a lot of bad things and have hurt many people. Just the other day some dude at work was talking sideways to me. And I just stood there barely replying. If it was the me of before he wouldn’t dare try it or would’ve got a few claps.

So the breaking point was last night. Ive been drinking heavily nightly for the past few months and didn’t last night. In a fit of rage I smashed up my apartment. This aint no way to live. I haven’t considered and wont consider suicide but feel im at breaking point. More scared of what ill become. Anyway im not looking for sympathy nor do I deserve it. But ive kept this in for months and this is the first time ive laid it out to anyone. Going to a prestigious sports doctor next month so still hoping.

Damn, I'm sorry man. I don't have much else to say but the following:

1) I hope that the doctor determines that you can be fixed up, and that your body gets right.

2) I hope you realize that you aren't dependent on how your body is feeling. You're no less of a man because of it, and real friends would never judge you for that. In the end we all get old and our bodies stop working the way they used to in one way or another. It's important to recognize that how fit we are (or not) doesn't actually shape us. If you need to, I suggest seeing a therapist about this as well.

I wish you all the best.

So the weather didn't fuck up on me and I was actually able to celebrate my birthday last night. It was nice to get out the house and to see the friends again. Somebody I didn't expect to come came and found there was some drama going on behind the scenes. One of the boys always has up cracking up and made the waitress at the restaurant we went to feel awkward as hell, but it was a funny awkward. We were going to go to the strip club again, but my friend's girlfriend had a problem with him going without her so we didn't and decided to go a bar instead, but that place was crowded as fuck so we just chilled at one of their cribs for a bit. It was nice.

royalan

FM, sorry about your arm. You said you went to the doctor, what did they say? I know from my own experiences that sometimes even seemingly minor sprains and muscle-pulls can take weeks/months of rest in order to bounce back. It doesn't seem like your insistence to get back into routine is helping the arm heal the way it needs to. You might need to lay off it for a good while, and worry about the gains later. Also, I think you have other things to worry about, like how a minor interruption in your workout routine could completely fuck your life up like this.

Now, that isn't trivialize what you're going through at all. It's clearly very real and it's hitting you hard. And I know you said you've gone to a doctor, but have you tried going to a therapist? A counselor? Someone that you can talk this out with long term? Because you're obviously using working out as a means to cope with things in your life, and to a certain extent that's healthy; we all have things we do, activities we participate in that help keep us balanced. But to be so dependent on working out and maintaining your gains that a disturbance in that routine has you pulling away from friends and loved ones, and causes you to enter into a borderline severe state of depression? That's pretty extreme, and I would guess that your inability to maintain your workout routine isn't the real problem here, but the trigger of some other deep seeded issues you're not facing.

Anyway, that's my shit opinion. Pulling for you, though. I haven't interacted with you much, but I've always enjoyed your posts when I encounter them.

double jump

you haven't lived until a random little kid ask you "how do you make love".
Damn I'm sorry to hear that Free. Man I really hope things get better for you.
I don't have the answers but I'm always willing to listen if need to get some shit off your chest.

If you don't mind me asking why have the doctors not been able to help so far ?
Did you fuck your arm up worse by pushing it ?

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
Damn, Free. Sorry to hear that - I went through the same thing 2-3 years ago when I ate that truck with my shoulder. Didn't realize that being strong defined me as much as it did. It cost me more than a few relationships... I didn't get a counselor then (I didn't even want to consider actual physical rehab either) but I regret not getting help for that - because that was by far the biggest issue for me. Lasted a solid year too.

You're right though. Having to sit on my hands and let some mouth-breathing fuck look you in the eyes and talk like an equal was far, far worse than actual physical issues. People don't understand what that's like - going from living with a strong presence in every situation to being 'forced' into being reserved. You can't just talk to anyone about it. You don't even know its a real problem. Its a bitch.

But asking for a counselor or therapist isn't easy. At the same time, that's the strongest move you can make.

Imm0rt4l

Freemufasa go see the doctor bruh. I have tendonitis in my right bicep that makes doing high rep pull ups difficult. This ain't so bad and doesnt require much attention. but your shit sounds severe like you may have or may be on your way to tearing a tendon. Has your bicep insertion shifted?

http://youtu.be/Wjq82nYPUeo

Young Magus

Sorry to hear about that Free, like DY and Ryo said it would be best to see a counselor be it physical or mental.

I wish I could offer some specific stories or advice to help you but all I can say is that I have ya in my thoughts and I hope that all becomes well.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
Man FreeMufasa that sounds bad. But you're reaching out and you have hope, both good signs. You can get better and get back on top. Not all of that charisma was just from the gym, you still have that man in you. You can be that dude still. Hope you get some help by the doctor.

The fact that you realize you needed to reach out to SOMEONE at least tells me that you're ready to heal mentally. Simba Baby steps, FM. Make that doc visit like you said, then think about what Roy and DY said and hit up a therapist.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom