• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT11| In This Salon, Everyone Gets A Perm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Numb

Within the house we speak a mix of Somali and Norwegian. I use mostly Somali nouns while speaking Norwegian but my parents prefer to speak Somali with some Norwegian. Outside the house its the same if I'm speaking to other Somalis.

I myself can understand Somali perfectly but dont speak it too well. Wanna fix that tho.

That is how my little siblings are since they moved here young. They use a combination of Swedish,english and some Somali. Parents only speak Somali and don't even attempt to speak anything else and i speak a combination of all of them plus Swahili with the older siblings. Can get really weird if observed from the outside. Somali itself can get really deep and i can't use the same advanced level that my parents use.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
I swear man, paying bills sucks the life out of me...as well as the money in my back account. I got paid today but can't tell it from my bank balance after paying bills. I could do the irresponsible thing, but that ends up being more money in the form of late fees. Adult life sucks at times.

I'd be super interested in this too. Me and a friend are the only minorities in our lab and we were just talking about how we try not to listen to rap aloud or get into an argument around our professor or anyone else and how we essentially spend part of our brain power being vigilant and appearing hyper competent just so that we aren't pigeon holed by someone's stereotypes or biases.
...I do the same thing in school. Unfortunately, that gets you labled as acting "white". No, I'm not acting like how you expect a black person to act.

...I do the same thing in school. Unfortunately, that gets you labled as acting "white". No, I'm not acting like how you expect a black person to act.

That "act white" or "you're more white than black lol" shit is the absolute worst. Thankfully, it's pretty much stopped after undergrad but still its one of those micro-aggressions that's stuck around for most my life and somehow still colors how I act and how people expect me to. :/

Good god I hate that I made that Sandra Bland topic. I just knew the same "don't harsh a cop's buzz" stuff would tear its head. This kid glove treatment of cop behaviors are why we have so many stories of cops acting above the law. We just had a story about a Chigago cops firing someone for not wrenching incidents to get cops off the hook and here we are in the same week continuing to expect little in the way of competence from the only people allowed to arrest and kill civilians. /rant

That "act white" or "you're more white than black lol" shit is the absolute worst. Thankfully, it's pretty much stopped after undergrad but still its one of those micro-aggressions that's stuck around for most my life and somehow still colors how I act and how people expect me to. :/
I'd pull the pick out of my back pocket, stick it in my fro, and punch idiots in the chest when they used that line on me. Ask them if that was better..it wouldn't happen again.

Yea, it's a little weird but I don't even mind it anymore. I'm still an undergrad and so I make a lot of friends in my classes since there are a few black people in my classes.

I'd pull the pick out of my back pocket, stick it in my fro, and punch idiots in the chest when they used that line on me..ask them if that was better..it wouldn't happen again.
My pick actually has a fist at the end. Makes it even better when I let it stay in my hair.

I was in a class recently and this white dude called me the whitest black guy he ever met.

It was obviously ignorant since he was pretty much stating I didn't fit the stereotype of a black person.

I do get that often though because of my vocabulary, vocation, etc. Guess they'd prefer me shuck and jive, excel at sports and be inarticulate lol.

It was a challenging course and the dude would lash out at all the people performing better than him and seemed to be insecure.

Idba

That is how my little siblings are since they moved here young. They use a combination of Swedish,english and some Somali. Parents only speak Somali and don't even attempt to speak anything else and i speak a combination of all of them plus Swahili with the older siblings. Can get really weird if observed from the outside. Somali itself can get really deep and i can't use the same advanced level that my parents use.

Yea, my older siblings plus mom speak Swahili sometimes. I know some, but not nearly enough to comprehend what they're talking about

I had a dude once call me that, incidentally he was and had been trying to act as "black" as possible. Shut him up once and he never bothered me or tried to be tough anymore.

I swear man, paying bills sucks the life out of me...as well as the money in my back account. I got paid today but can't tell it from my bank balance after paying bills. I could do the irresponsible thing, but that ends up being more money in the form of late fees. Adult life sucks at times.

As long as you have beer money can't be too bad. Unless you don't have beer money. Then that blows and I feel you.

Numb

I was in a class recently and this white dude called me the whitest black guy he ever met.

It was obviously ignorant since he was pretty much stating I didn't fit the stereotype of a black person.

I do get that often though because of my vocabulary, vocation, etc. Guess they'd prefer me shuck and jive, excel at sports and be inarticulate lol.

It was a challenging course and the dude would lash out at all the people performing better than him and seemed to be insecure.
Seems like the type of guy who fishes for reactions. Just ignore his dumb ass.

Yea, my older siblings plus mom speak Swahili sometimes. I know some, but not nearly enough to comprehend what they're talking about
Speak it sometimes solely for the sake of not forgetting it. It has gone way way down over the years.

Infinite

This me right now. Shit hard mode son.

Slayven

Who's up for a game of mafia? Character limit per post is 240.

So a black thread with a bunch of black posters, and you thought they would down for a game glorifying gang activity?

I thought you were more progressive

tumblr_mgxn83uzRH1qb3b26o1_500.jpg

PSA: If you're ever told that you're "acting white," you're really just lame as hell and the person who said it is a bit too ignorant to know the difference

Furyous

boy this TBGWT ep got me wanting to throw a trash can through a window.

Which ep is it and what happened?

---

I woke up to find out my bank account has expired... Not my card that I used on Wednesday but my bank account despite being full of money.... I'M UNHINGED RIGHT NOW because Best Buy is having a sale on headphones and I want in.

Africanus

Good god I hate that I made that Sandra Bland topic. I just knew the same "don't harsh a cop's buzz" stuff would tear its head. This kid glove treatment of cop behaviors are why we have so many stories of cops acting above the law. We just had a story about a Chicago cops firing someone for not wrenching incidents to get cops off the hook and here we are in the same week continuing to expect little in the way of competence from the only people allowed to arrest and kill civilians. /rant

When people see your report card and say "you're so white" for having As >.>

Yeah, the Sandra Bland story is quite annoying. Even if she did commit suicide, I will still blame the police officer for traumatizing her with his abuse of power (and an arrest, even unjustified, can ruin someone's potential career and life) and pushing her towards it.

Slayven

Which ep is it and what happened?

---

I woke up to find out my bank account has expired... Not my card that I used on Wednesday but my bank account despite being full of money.... I'M UNHINGED RIGHT NOW because Best Buy is having a sale on headphones and I want in.

newest one 999

Furyous

This a milk bank? Expire? The fuck lol..

All right I contacted a supervisor and got some clarification. Basically, for some odd reason my debit card was deactivated automatically without triggering any responses in their system. Managers and teams are on it and they'll have this resolved by Wednesday or I'm finding another bank.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
All right I contacted a supervisor and got some clarification. Basically, for some odd reason my debit card was deactivated automatically without triggering any responses in their system. Managers and teams are on it and they'll have this resolved by Wednesday or I'm finding another bank.
Try to get in a credit union.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom