• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT12| Days of Future Bans

Status
Not open for further replies.

D i Z

No. It'd be an addition. A change suggests that Daisy Ridley is leaving or having her role reduced. Neither of which is happening.

Thanks for the report from the future with film two and three, but I think that you're missing that I'm actually not in a semantics argument with you. A change would be an addition, or a subtraction, or any other mutation in this case. That is the nature of the word. Obviously you have insider info. Good for you. If you would note, I asked about the speculation, not to have insider info lorded over me and everyone else. You're actually going out of your way to ruin the fun. Why is that?

ReiGun

Is there any reason people are acting like it's an either/or thing with Finn and Rey being Jedi? Like, something someone on the movie said? Because I don't think it would be so far-fetched for Luke to have two students...

RedSwirl

Not really spoilers, but putting behind black bars anyway:

Finn is the POV character for this movie, like Luke was in the first. He and Rey have parallel journeys, but while Rey factors a little more into the actual plotting, Finn is the character who reintroduces us to this world, and Finn's the character whose characterization anchors the film. Finn is the audience surrogate, basically.

So no, he doesn't end up a Jedi at the end of the movie. But then again - neither did Luke at the end of Star Wars.

So he could either end up like Luke in New Hope, or he could end up like Vaan in Final Fantasy XII.

Trey

Finn is the POV character for this movie, like Luke was in the first. He and Rey have parallel journeys, but while Rey factors a little more into the actual plotting, Finn is the character who reintroduces us to this world, and Finn's the character whose characterization anchors the film. Finn is the audience surrogate, basically.

So no, he doesn't end up a Jedi at the end of the movie. But then again - neither did Luke at the end of Star Wars.

TFA spoilers:
Hope that boy Finn gets duffed at the end of the first movie, has an understated but important role in the second, and comes back with the heat in the last movie on some "I ain't even fucking done yet" type shit. Let that boy get his in the end.

If you would note, I asked about the speculation, not to have insider info lorded over me and everyone else. You're actually going out of your way to ruin the fun. Why is that?

You didn't look like you were having fun. I'm not lording insider info over you. I'm trying to ease your mind regarding concerns you seemed to be having, specifically without having to concretely/specifically spoil you.

I'm not coming at you sideways on this at all. I'm trying to help out. The speculation you were throwing out didn't logically follow even without having any information, and you weren't really framing it as speculation in the first place. It seemed as if you'd jumped to a negative conclusion.

Merc_

Well, at least after reading these black bars and the ones over in the spoiler thread, I will say that it does sound better then I originally thought.
We still have two main movies after this to fully develop the characters anyway. I was just worried that Finn was going to be total chump status for the whole thing.

People are still going to jump to conclusions because
Rey is the only one to go meet Luke at the end. This is similar to and going to remind people of Luke going off alone to meet Yoda in Empire. For all we know, Episode VIII could open with Finn tracking Rey to Luke's location or some shit. Nobody knows what happens after the credits of VII roll.

D i Z

You didn't look like you were having fun. I'm not lording insider info over you. I'm trying to ease your mind regarding concerns you seemed to be having, specifically without having to concretely/specifically spoil you.

I'm not coming at you sideways on this at all. I'm trying to help out. The speculation you were throwing out didn't logically follow even without having any information, and you weren't really framing it as speculation in the first place. It seemed as if you'd jumped to a negative conclusion.

Thank you for your benevolence.
Shame on me for not throwing in a "lol" here or there to let you know that I actually wasn't distressed. But thank god for you and info I didn't ask for.
See, I know (because I asked earlier) were the spoilers and the thread was. It ain't here.
You'd have to dig deep to find negativity in my post if you weren't busting at the seams to yell what you know far and wide and at anyone who even mentioned the movie.

Kreed

Cross posting from GAF-Hop:

Dame-Dash-Studios.jpg

http://www.damedashstudios.com/

who gon sign up

i don't even know what i'm looking at

Jacir

I'm not sure if I want to say this, but
I don't care about SW that much to be excited about it.

I will still watch it in theaters tho
😉

harSon

Banned
Rey is the only one to go meet Luke at the end. This is similar to and going to remind people of Luke going off alone to meet Yoda in Empire. For all we know, Episode VIII could open with Finn tracking Rey to Luke's location or some shit. Nobody knows what happens after the credits of VII roll.

My boy going to bring new meaning to the dark side

Hey, if he's just a cool knight while she becomes a master, I'm down. I just want some parity here. I need him to handle his shit. I get the Hollywood hierarchy, I'd just like for them to not stick to it perfectly.

Hey, if he's just a cool knight while she becomes a master, I'm down. I just want some parity here. I need him to handle his shit. I get the Hollywood hierarchy, I'd just like for them to not stick to it perfectly.

I agree. The thing is, as far as the part where Finn tries to take on Kylo and Rey has to save him, it sounds more like this is a threat neither of them can handle on their own. Maybe this will go the typical direction, but if there's one thing I know from the OT, Luke got his ass handed to him plenty of times trying to go off and do things on his own. My hope is that this trilogy will change things up and can't see evil defeated unless the leads work together. We know the plot, just not the execution. If Finn is relegated to chump status over the course of the trilogy (or even just VII and VIII), that'll mean the movies suck, but the fact that he uses a saber to fight at all makes me think he isn't done. If these follow the OT correctly, the key to any of them becoming masters isn't swordplay, but wisdom, and Finn is going to have a vendetta to finish against Kylo Ren.

akira28

but at least Luke had a hot sister

Jacir

I just got caught up with the latest protest these last few days against Stellenbosch University. Change is going to come down there. Taking down Rhodes statue was a start.

I personally really liked it, and get why it worked. I also get that it's the type of movie we aren't going to see for a while, craft wise.

But folks still need to chill. The Assassin is out in China and it's getting some similar super hype though.

Slayven

It is going to be one those things people always recommend even when it doesn't fit the criteria. I wish people on the internet had more variety in entertainment.

Infinite

John Wick got the same kinda hype around here and it was just Keanu Reeves murking niggas for an hour and a half. I mean, I'm not complaining but with the way these niggas was talking about it you would have expected it to be something more than what it actually was.

Trey

The fellatio this board gives to Fury Road is out of this world.

Sheesh

It's legitimately a landmark in the action film genre. I know people go in for Raid or John Wick or Dredd, but Fury Road is a cut above in almost every respect.

It's an auteur's action flick that's also palatable to conventional movie goer tastes.

It's legitimately a landmark in the action film genre. I know people go in for Raid or John Wick or Dredd, but Fury Road is a cut above in almost every respect.

It's an auteur's action flick that's also palatable to conventional movie goer tastes.

Almost agreed. I think Raid should also be considered in terms of revolutionary action flicks. When it comes to modern martial arts flicks, that is the measuring stick.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
I got people on my fb feed saying blacklives matter is a hate group. Comparing them to neonazis and kkk.

Seriously.

Young Magus

I got people on my fb feed saying blacklives matter is a hate group. Comparing them to neonazis and kkk.

Seriously.

Delete them

You know how the cycle goes by now:

fm4Gf0j.jpg

Got to replace DreamDrop with Numb, but it still works.

Lowkey, Jacir works as a new DD too.
Also add Roys being real to the cycle
and OT fukkery along with myself losing faith in people due to it.
Oh and DY coming back ~3 months.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football

Seriously.

Why are they still on for FB feed then? Look, there are some people who will always look at an organized (or even social) group of black folk getting together for any reason as a threat. If someone feels that way, why would I want to associate with them on any level? Why would you?

Just be thankful that they showed their true colors.

Kreed

Fucking Star Wars talk. Niggas is testing my blackout from spoilers.

Don't bother reading them. It's all speculation/coping mechanisms. Everybody is handling a brother with a light saber in different ways. Some are in denial, others want to prepare themselves for disappointment. Can't blame the preparation folks.

Slayven

MHWilliams was right about Gate. That shit is good.

"Y'all got dragons and orcs, ok let my .50 cal speak elvish to them"

Crocodile

The Black Bar Culture Thread

#Kappa

I'm just letting you guys know if Trump gets elected president I'm renouncing my citizenship.

Who you fooling? You and everybody else ain't going anywhere if their doomsday candidate of choice wins :p

Seriously.

I haven't been on Facebook in a good while but I always thought it was weird people would complain that fuckery would get posted on their feeds anytime anything big happened. You curate your own feed. You're the one who accepted their friend requests. Why are you friending assholes? Then again I think I have like maybe 150-200 FB friends the last time I counted. I never saw the need to have 1000+ like some other people.

Fucking jinx..

Ask my wife how people drive through the everglades with zero service on their cellphones..10 minutes later we catch a flat/no spare/no service/nothing for 40 miles either direction. Lucked out that some dude happen to be pulling in to some private dirt road to get to work..

Why do new cars not bring a spare anymore? The fuck is that shit about?

Infinite

Sitting next to Christian folk on my break. They was going in on people caring more about Cecil the Lion and animals rather than other human beings and then they was saying people who have tattoos and shit are going to HAIL and then they lost me.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
Don't bother reading them. It's all speculation/coping mechanisms. Everybody is handling a brother with a light saber in different ways. Some are in denial, others want to prepare themselves for disappointment. Can't blame the preparation folks.
It's still unnerving to see. Idk whether to click the spoilers or get mad that they're there. I know I sound like a crazy fan but I wish all rumor talk of the SW movies would stay in the rumor thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom