• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT12| Days of Future Bans

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sou Da

Comcast is running a consumer trial in my area for capped downloads starting Oct 1. Anyone else check their email and see if it's happening to them too? I know a few of you live nearby.

Crocodile

The fuck is going on in here LOL

It's "he's one of the good ones" plus "deeply religious" plus "trust me I'm a doctor" plus "I'm a soft spoken man".

He separated siamese twins, he's a real magical negro.

Shit I forgot all about his "tithe" taxation plan *cringe*

He appeals to people's racist nature in a way most can't. Anyone can say "Black people are getting out of hand with their racial lambasting!" and gain moderate approval. But for a black man to say such things about the community is always a novelty. And not just any black man, a neurosurgeon, obviously well-educated. And not just any neurosurgeon, one that the black community approved of at one point in history, why he even went on book tours and was an inspiration to all those poor people!
All of these stacked on factors make him appear very appealing for now. As well, he didn't say anything offensive to his demographic at the debate, and came off as a hokey old doctor from another era. Having a black man speak what many have internalized for too long makes certain people believe his points are legitimate.

Well I hope he's smart enough to realize that this "popularity" won't translate into votes. Asking him to have a sense of self-awareness might be too much though.

DBS 5 screenshots

Episode 5 of DBS was a shit show but to be fair, you could pull out a lot of still frames from DBZ (or other, better animated shows) and make them look bad.

My worst nightmare is Toei getting My Hero Academia.

giphy.gif

My brain is on fire....

Video clear as day.... but no... that's not what it is.... His hands went down to reach!!

You dumb motherfucker, he's "reaching" for his fucking bullet wounds, fuck you!

That thread is........special........

You know how the cycle goes by now:

fm4Gf0j.jpg

Got to replace DreamDrop with Numb, but it still works.

This isn't the first time I've seen this but it has been a while. Still hilarious <3

no what did he say? Nevermidn

"Sorry guys I was just tyring to help you out, gosh, can't give nig... those people anything, they lose their damn minds"

I got to hear some of the game trailer via the Movie Trailer Review's podcast (good podcast, affiliated with TBGWT). It really sounds too cute and whimsical for a game about The Middle Passage. The POV character is named Tim (yeah right he was probably originally named Kunta or something like that), and he "tags along" on the voyage to get more slaves. His job is to negotiate prices with the local tribe (and yes it is true that some African tribes/nations sold defeated peoples as slaves to the Europeans, but this means that this is ALL YOUR FAULT as you are playing the game). One of the crazy parts is that the captain is portrayed as a cartoony villain, and he is always cussing Tim out, but it's all cartoony curses. He calls Tim "you son of a jungle jingle!"

SON OF A JUNGLE JINGLE.

That is the worst cutesy racial slur ever. I keep hearing the "Jungle Boogie" song in my head. "Jungle Jingle *horn riff*"

Slayven

I got to hear some of the game trailer via the Movie Trailer Review's podcast (good podcast, affiliated with TBGWT). It really sounds too cute and whimsical for a game about The Middle Passage. The POV character is named Tim (yeah right he was probably originally named Kunta or something like that), and he "tags along" on the voyage to get more slaves. His job is to negotiate prices with the local tribe (and yes it is true that some African tribes/nations sold defeated peoples as slaves to the Europeans, but this means that this is ALL YOUR FAULT as you are playing the game). One of the crazy parts is that the captain is portrayed as a cartoony villain, and he is always cussing Tim out, but it's all cartoony curses. He calls Tim "you son of a jungle jingle!"

SON OF A JUNGLE JINGLE.

That is the worst cutesy racial slur ever. I keep hearing the "Jungle Boogie" song in my head. "Jungle Jingle *horn riff*"

Hahahaha can't make this shit up

Slay,

That Star Wars spoiler is more than likely 99% true.

Then fuck them, will catch it on TBS in 2 years. It was too much to hope for, but at least he everywhere in the branding. That is something, I guess.

Sou Da

Wasn't this a metal gear tagline?

The fact is there is already "social justice" in every way that matters, anyone pushing for it now is more about revenge than justice.

Fuck you

Guess what film caused this quote.

akira28

Slay,

that would be the dumbest shit, to not even let mans be Jedi. But...it wouldn't be surprising, or atypical.

fuck it, I'm a magical negro already, don't need the Force.

now we get to test the cultural relevance of Star Wars. It was a phenomenon, then it was a disappointing renewal, and now it's a major cash cow trying to claim a legacy, owned by the Chief storybook hoarders of the Planet, Disney Co. The people who had their lives changed by the originals are still around, but the next generation who are in the same shoes have had decades of the Force, and they'll mostly be drawn in by spectacle and reputation. No matter what, no matter how good the movies are, they can't live up to our joint expectations, and I think Disney realizes this, having done away completely with all of the mythology and aura of the first trilogy, getting a rock star director to jump in, and immediately spinning off 3 supporting stories. This isn't a story epic they're telling us now, it's a franchise they're opening for business.

Smart money says don't get invested, like, at all.

akira28

i was listening to this debate between Malcolm X and James Baldwin in the early 60s, and it's like they're talking about today.

America may say wait a little bit longer, and we may say hell no, but damn if we haven't been forced to wait a lot longer and change is still being fought at every turn.

what got me was when Malcolm pointed out that they don't tell anyone else but black folks to be non-violent. Everyone else, be a fighter, fight for your rights, stand up and fight, from my dead hands, these colors don't run, etc. Not black folks. Be calm, remember MLK, be polite, don't be a savage. I can only smile.

There's an unverified-but-probably-valid-because-fuck-life spoiler re: The Force Awakens that suggests (ending? spoilers)
Boyega's character may be lessened or left behind altogether by the end of the film.

Kreed

i was listening to this debate between Malcolm X and James Baldwin in the early 60s, and it's like they're talking about today.

America may say wait a little bit longer, and we may say hell no, but damn if we haven't been forced to wait a lot longer and change is still being fought at every turn.

what got me was when Malcolm pointed out that they don't tell anyone else but black folks to be non-violent. Everyone else, be a fighter, fight for your rights, stand up and fight, from my dead hands, these colors don't run, etc. Not black folks. Be calm, remember MLK, be polite, don't be a savage. I can only smile.

Ignoring how history turned out, I actually found myself agreeing with Baldwin more, excluding the "Black Americans can't relate to Africa because we're all mixed" talk.

Trey

I hear her voice..lol

This is now a thing. hold on.

image.php

You know what?

God is Good.

It's...its everything I ever wanted.

Niggas thought the booty was phat before...

PSA to all the male thots out there:

If you make the decision to text/skype/snap/DM/whatever a pic of your dick to someone, DO NOT think you're being cute by sending a pic of you teasing just the base of the dick. All you're doing is wasting time, making people mad, and guaranteeing that you don't get no gushy tonight.

Send the FULL DICK or nothing at all.

ESPECIALLY if I done already sent you a pic of my Tastykakes (Hostess cakes for the west coast niggas) in their complete glory.

But you got to see the abs too...

Nobody gives a fuck about your abs nigga...

yo I'm legit crying.

Crocodile

I just finished watching this BLM guy on Chris Hayes earlier responding to critics going on about "BLM sucks because some cops are getting killed and also it must be the cause of more crime because we say so". Dude was awful. Kind of pissed me off :/

harSon

Banned
There's an unverified-but-probably-valid-because-fuck-life spoiler re: The Force Awakens that suggests (ending? spoilers)
Boyega's character may be lessened or left behind altogether by the end of the film.

I can let you know if it's true or not when I get my hands on the script at some point

It isn't true. At least not like that, it isn't.

If you really wanna know, the Star Wars spoiler thread's been talking specifically about Finn for like the last two pages.

andthebeatgoeson

That's a damn good point.

D i Z

They are casting for the female lead for episode 8, so I don't know about you guys, but I don't think that there is going to be much permanence in new cast with the core films.
These guys might get spun off to other SW projects, which would make sense since the last six films made characters unusable because there was no room for growth.
I especially don't think that in the first film we'll have all of the bad asses for the third.

D i Z

They're casting for a female lead.

My point being was that the lead(s) are changing for a while in story I guess. There is no reason that these new recruits should or would follow through the main movie arc. I'm not really seeing what there is to be upset about.

Edited: cos I've been distracted.

Slay,

Glad
Rey gets a saber
, but I'm not going to say
I'm not mad disappointed if Finn isn't a Jedi

I was hoping for much more for the black character this time around
. Sadly, that won't be the case. Makes me go from very, very excited to just excited.

Glad
Rey gets a saber

At the end of The Force Awakens
Neither of them are Jedi. The only Jedi at the end of the movie was the only Jedi at the beginning of the movie: Luke

There's two other movies left to go.

My point being was that the lead(s) are changing for a while in story I guess.

They're not. They're just adding another.

D i Z

Neither of them are Jedi. The only Jedi at the end of the movie was the only Jedi at the beginning of the movie: Luke

They're not. They're just adding another.

Man. You are really taking the fun out of the guessing game. Adding a new lead would be a change in leads, yes?

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
Glad
Rey gets a saber

I was hoping for much more for the black character this time around
. Sadly, that won't be the case. Makes me go from very, very excited to just excited.

i refuse to get hyped over star wars movies before seeing them. i did that all three times for the prequels and got deflated each damn time. the series are good though

well thats something i guess

Not really spoilers, but putting behind black bars anyway:

Finn is the POV character for this movie, like Luke was in the first. He and Rey have parallel journeys, but while Rey factors a little more into the actual plotting, Finn is the character who reintroduces us to this world, and Finn's the character whose characterization anchors the film. Finn is the audience surrogate, basically.

So no, he doesn't end up a Jedi at the end of the movie. But then again - neither did Luke at the end of Star Wars.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom