• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT12| Days of Future Bans

Status
Not open for further replies.

zeemumu

Waited until midnight last night for Kingdom Hearts news only to get 3 screenshots and the promise that the trailers would be available at 10pm tonight.

"He/She was no angel"

This doesn't seem like justification equivalent to the severity of the punishment.

Numb

The Trailer for Spike Lee's Chi-Raq is out!

Lysistrata is an inspired choice for a play adaptation. Especially in this type of modernization.

I hope it goes well for Spike.
looks cool

Waited until midnight last night for Kingdom Hearts news only to get 3 screenshots and the promise that the trailers would be available at 10pm tonight..
Dang. Screenshots are atleast something.
When they announce the date of when they will announce something tho...

zeemumu

Dang. Screenshots are atleast something.
When they announce the date of when they will announce something tho...

Yeah but two are screenshots of 2.8.

The only screenshot of 3 shows what looks to be either Buzz Lightyear Astro Blasters or Toy Story Midway Mania as an attraction flow.

But the trailers are supposed to be damn good. Hopefully they'll give us more because for the time being we only know about two new worlds (Tangled and Big Hero 6).

Numb

Yeah but two are screenshots of 2.8.

The only screenshot of 3 shows what looks to be either Buzz Lightyear Astro Blasters or Toy Story Midway Mania as an attraction flow.

But the trailers are supposed to be damn good. Hopefully they'll give us more because for the time being we only know about two new worlds (Tangled and Big Hero 6).

mjlol.png

Good luck
Hope they don't screw you again.

zeemumu

mjlol.png

Good luck
Hope they don't screw you again.

I've already been screwed twice today, once by Square Enix and again by me finding out about a disney annual pasholder event too late and now I have to wait a full year before I get another chance to register. Square screwing me again won't change things.

Kreed

Lysistrata is an inspired choice for a play adaptation. Especially in this type of modernization.

I'm a bit conflicted on this based on the trailer.

Pros:

-Spike Lee
-Chicago
-The cast minus Nick Cannon

Cons:

-Nick Cannon
-I understand this is a reinterpretation, but with what's going on in Chicago right now, I'd rather Spike Lee had chosen another location for something this "light hearted"
-Again, I know this is a reinterpretation of an old play, but black women using their power of "withholding sex" from black men to keep them from being violent outside of the remake context is not a good look.

I'd be a little less critical if this wasn't Spike Lee and about Chicago.

I'm a bit conflicted on this based on the trailer.

Pros:

-Spike Lee
-Chicago
-The cast minus Nick Cannon

Cons:

-Nick Cannon
-I understand this is a reinterpretation, but with what's going on in Chicago right now, I'd rather Spike Lee had chosen another location for something this "light hearted"
-Again, I know this is a reinterpretation of an old play, but black women using their power of "withholding sex" from black men to keep them from being violent outside of the remake context is not a good look.

I'd be a little less critical if this wasn't Spike Lee and about Chicago.
As much as I agree with number one (lol), what fucked with you about point two and three? A response of "The Obvious" is acceptable, btw..

In 2115, 'let's get all the facts' will beer replaced by 'nothing really happened when she was stopped'.

Naw, just kidding, they will both be around.
Hey. Progress today. We finally acknowledging minorities can be racist. The evidence is there. It's hard to recognize it until there's irrefutable evidence. Finally, it's happened! Now getting folks to call anyone else racist..

D i Z

I've got that mid-day, post lunchtime need to crawl under my desk for a nap thing going on. Working in an office feels so unhealthy.

Kreed

As much as I agree with number one (lol), what fucked with you about point two and three? A response of "The Obvious" is acceptable, btw..

With point 2, I was expecting Spike Lee to do something like Straight Out of Compton, Selma, or Boys in the Hood about Chicago. Basically a true/not true story about what's going on in Chicago to spoon feed the masses. This seems at lot more comedic than it should be to get the message across.

With point 3, black people already get stereotyped in regards to black men being violent and black women being "baby factories". Making the plot of the film be black women denying black men sex to stop violence...like I can already see Raven Symone seeing this and actually making this suggestion for black people in Chicago to do in real life.

I know I'm being very critical for someone who watches Empire every week but it's Spike Lee and Chicago so I can't turn my brain off this time.

Yale University fraternity 'sets white girls only party admission policy'

I'm sure someone will make a thread, but at least you guys will be mentally prepared.

Bonus: Rachel Dolezal finally admits she was born white

And once again, it's the fucking SAEs. Yes, yes there are good and bad frats out there, but these guys seem to be hitting for the cycle in the racism games. Just ban them from Yale, now.

Just came back from the store, saw a 60ish black woman and white male couple with the cutest little cookie and cream baby with a crazy fro. Warmed my heart and made me think of the Manky Squad

60ish? I'm not that old...yet. :) And Lil Manky did attempt to grow a fro this past summer. He needs to learn a little before he can hit Dante deBlasio status.

That's so crazy. I like that he's going for a less 'realistic' framing for the movie, what with Samuel L. Jackson as the Greek Chorus, so to speak, narrating the tale. Though it seems more dramatic and angry than comic and...

JOHN CUSACK PREACHING IN A ROBE WHAT THE FUCK?

That came out of nowhere. Was John Turtturo busy?

Trey

I'm not as cynical as Kreed, but his reaction most closely mirrors my own. Nick Cannon is a cheesy goofball, far more suited for a comedy like fucking Underclassman than a satire with an edge.

But I'm sort of feeling the style. And Dave Chappelle is in this so I feel obligated to at least give this a chance.

lol, the dolly shots. He is not giving that shot up, ever.

Furyous

Afternoon, folks. I repped well for the community. How y'all doing?

Desus vs Mero has to talk about a bunch of stuff this week. Who saw Russell Wilson on Bomani's show? is the BCT siding with Wale or Meek in their schism?

I'm not as cynical as Kreed, but his reaction most closely mirrors my own. Nick Cannon is a cheesy goofball, far more suited for a comedy like fucking Underclassman than a satire with an edge.

But I'm sort of feeling the style. And Dave Chappelle is in this so I feel obligated to at least give this a chance.

lol, the dolly shots. He is not giving that shot up, ever.

Every. Fucking. Movie

It's his staple, lol.

Afternoon, folks. I repped well for the community. How y'all doing?

Desus vs Mero has to talk about a bunch of stuff this week. Who saw Russell Wilson on Bomani's show? is the BCT siding with Wale or Meek in their schism?

Wale. Meek needs to sit down somewhere and rethink his entire existence

Also, I think if they banned all the SAE's from college campuses, the amount of greek related controversies would decrease dramatically.

Southern SAE's are borderline Hydra to me.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
http://www.sfgate.com/business/article/Ex-Twitter-engineer-says-he-left-over-firm-s-6608576.php

The country was erupting in protest over the deaths of unarmed black men at the hands of law enforcement when a single word appeared on a wall in Twitter’s downtown headquarters: #Ferguson.

When Leslie Miley, the only black engineer in a management position at Twitter, saw it, he felt proud. It was a nod to the 27 percent of black Americans who use the social media network, according to 2014 numbers collected by Pew Research Center. It was an acknowledgment, he said, that “this moment matters, that we matter.”

But one year later, Miley announced he was done at Twitter, disillusioned and doubtful of the company’s ability to diversify.

Twitter’s most recent diversity numbers showed the company is 70 percent male, 58 percent white and 34 percent Asian in the U.S. and has zero black, Latino, Native American or “other” racial minorities in leadership positions, which Twitter defines as director level or above.

With Miley’s departure on Saturday, the company now employs zero black, Latino, Native American or “other” racial minorities as managers in its engineering or product management divisions.

“The biggest obstacles I ran into were just apathy or people giving lip service to diversity but not actually following through,” Miley said. “When you start to say something about ‘diversity,’ people get defensive. When we point out Twitter’s numbers, we’re not calling anyone racist, we’re just saying there’s an unconscious bias that marginalizes people of color and women.”

Miley was one of the more than 330 people ousted in Twitter’s recent restructuring, but, he said, his departure was negotiated in September after he learned that one of his most recent diversity projects had been rejected.

He chronicled his experiences in a post on Medium because, he said, it’s something tech executives largely don’t want to talk about and underrepresented minority workers are sometimes afraid to address.

“I look around and I see how young Twitter is and I know that those people early in their careers are not going to want to take that chance and speak out,” he said. “There’s a cost to your career for speaking out. People don’t want to hear that, but it’s true. There is a cost. Every time I brought up diversity, it made some people really uncomfortable. That impacts you and it impacts how you’re viewed and treated.”

Miley, who has worked in tech since the early 2000s with jobs at companies including Apple and Google, said he was “far enough along” in his career to shoulder any damage that might come from his advocacy. He said he gave up about $60,000 in severance by refusing to sign a nondisclosure agreement.

Twitter declined to comment on the specifics of Miley’s departure, but issued the following statement: “We’re committed to making substantive progress in making Twitter more diverse and inclusive. This commitment includes the expansion of our inclusion and diversity programs, diversity recruiting, employee development, and resource group-led initiatives.”

The company, whose own diversity goals call for increasing its number of underrepresented minorities from 7 to 11 percent, maintains its diversity numbers have not been impacted by October layoffs.

Miley, who had worked at the company for nearly three years, said many managers are afraid to explicitly say they’re looking to hire minority or female candidates. There’s also a concern inside the company, Miley said, that doing so would require them to “lower the bar.”

Once, Miley wrote, Twitter’s vice president of engineering, Alex Roetter, suggested tracking “the ethnicity of potential candidates in the pipeline” to track where minorities were falling out of the running.

As the discussion progressed, Miley said Roetter suggested he create a tool to analyze candidates’ last names to classify their ethnicity. Roetter could not be reached for comment.

Miley built a prototype of the tool, which proved ineffective — last names are not a foolproof indicator of race or ethnicity, and the software regularly miscategorized multiethnic candidates.

“The suggestion, basically, was that I write a racial profiling tool, and here’s the really warped part about it: I considered it,” Miley said. “That was it. After that I thought, ‘No, I don’t want to be in an environment where I’d consider something like this.’”

SMH Twitter.

Sadly, this is a common issue in the tech industry here in general. I can count with one hand the number of black co-workers I regularly worked with over my 13+ year career.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom