• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT12| Days of Future Bans

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was about to go in on you when I saw the username.

tumblr_nl0xrizgPG1s2wio8o1_250.gif

D i Z

From a marketing viewpoint I am absolutely dying to know the details of the Tomb Raider bundle strategy after Naughty Dog pulled that rug out from under and delayed Uncharted 4.
How they banked on moving not just the game, but consoles as well solely on the idea that they could fabricate (or inflate) a sense of competition between two titles needs to be explained.
That's some next level gambling right there.

Slayven

From a marketing viewpoint I am absolutely dying to know the details of the Tomb Raider bundle strategy after Naughty Dog pulled that rug out from under and delayed Uncharted 4.
How they banked on moving not just the game, but consoles as well solely on the idea that they could fabricate (or inflate) a sense of competition between two titles needs to be explained.
That's some next level gambling right there.

The tomb raider marketing has sucks, the commercials are ass when you look at Fallout, Battlefront and COD

PInk Tape

Banned
I can't believe what's going on in that kool-aid thread. I don't expect non-Americans to know every stereotype regarding African-Americans, but to have multiple posters thoroughly explain it and still be incredulous is just frustrating.

Some posters are just unwilling to listen in general, some just refuse to read the thread even though it's highly likely said thing has been explained in full (especially in a thread like the kool aid one), some are there to troll, and some will just say it's ridiculous and double down on their ignorance.

Just like that Kanye blackface thread and many other threads in the past. And yes I agree it's frustrating to see.

D i Z

The tomb raider marketing has sucks, the commercials are ass when you look at Fallout, Battlefront and COD

Rise of the Tomb Raider is great though.

Really? The reboot didn't leave a good impression on me. I also wasn't feeling that new Erykah Badu mixtape today either.

It took me three tries and a generation leap from PS3 to 4 for me to eventually get through the reboot. No tomb raiding in Tomb Raider. I think, but can't confirm that most people were quietly unimpressed with the reboot. Bland atmospheres are hella hard to sell these days. Especially when the main character gets demoted from glam-rock status to scrub level in the process. And letting the sequel look just as bland and not learn from the soft sales from the first game seems like a whole lot of navel gazing was going on. Rise could be the greatest game to ever be made, but it won't matter if it's presentation is identical to the last time.

Sch1sm

Tomb Raider reboot. I struggled through.

Once you do finish the very average experience of a game it is, you go back to nothing. No more enemies. I assume it was a realism spin, the dead don't return, but man. Maaaannnn. Just makes the clean up an even more dull experience.

Slayven

It took me three tries and a generation leap from PS3 to 4 for me to eventually get through the reboot. No tomb raiding in Tomb Raider. I think, but can't confirm that most people were quietly unimpressed with the reboot. Bland atmospheres are hella hard to sell these days. Especially when the main character gets demoted from glam-rock status to scrub level in the process. And letting the sequel look just as bland and not learn from the soft sales from the first game seems like a whole lot of navel gazing was going on. Rise could be the greatest game to ever be made, but it won't matter if it's presentation is identical to the last time.

and those death scenes were so unnecessary.

D i Z

Are the PS1 games and Legend better? I never got to play them.

They were more fun, in my opinion. Brighter, more colorful and complex in both locations and plot. The tombs actually required skill and exploration, and more often than not some tricky navigation of traps. They took practice and thought and were brutal getting jumps exactly right, or falling at the right angles. The devs on the reboot were very deliberate in making sure that there was no frustration to be found in the new game. They stuck with the belief that gamers lack the capacity to puzzle over a situation, and that rubbing brain cells together is hard. So instead they gave us more shit to shoot, and climbing for dummies was the way to go. That all being said, most (not all) of the old games controlled like complete ass, and times have changed. To get that dollar, they kind of did need to abandon everything that was worn out from the old games if they couldn't reinvent it and future proof it.

Ultimately, It was a complete lack of imagination and vision that spawned that reboot.

akira28

mostly a 3d puzzle action platformer with random gunplay

she basically ran and jumped around brick walls and giant wooden blocks like a ninja. So giving her a gun to use on the conveniently placed Mafia hitmen in speedboats just seems like cheating.

so lets give her 2 guns instead.

Reboot felt so dumb and misguided. Take the adult female equivalent of James Bond and Indiana Jones, and then make her a "helpless teenage girl". Now, protect her. from...all these ancient Samurai.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
No tomb raiding in Tomb Raider. I think, but can't confirm that most people were quietly unimpressed with the reboot.

Actually, I'm pretty sure most people liked it.

Just not, you know... the people that liked Tomb Raider the way it was.

Like me

akira28

Just wasn't a tomb raider game starring Lara croft.

Just a game team too heavily invested in a character re-design and an unused action TPS they had hanging around that needed a protagonist. I blame consoles for what happened to Lara, just like I blame them for what happened to first person tactical shooters.

PInk Tape

Banned
It seems I forgot to introduce myself, I apologize.

Where you're from - Illinois
Where you live - Northern Illinois
What is your age? - 19. I'll be 20 in January.
Your cultural heritage, lineage and genealogy - I'm Caucasian on my mother's side and Latino on my father's side. I consider myself biracial.
Do you know your roots - German, Polish, and possibly French on my mother's side and Mexican on my father's.
Favorite musical genre - I'll listen to basically anything but I love different kinds of Korean music.
Your profession/major/career interest - I'm a college student right now and I'm not really sure what profession I want to work in yet.
Your religious affiliation - Agnostic.
Hobbies - Writing song lyrics, learning the ins and outs of photoshop, self teaching myself the Korean language, and playing video games.
KFC, Popeye's, Churches, or Bojangles? - I'll have to go with Popeyes even with their salty biscuits. I wish we had more chicken places here tbh.

Numb

Your cultural heritage, lineage and genealogy - I'm Caucasian on my mother's side and Latino on my father's side. I consider myself biracial.
Do you know your roots - German, Polish, and possibly French on my mother's side and Mexican on my father's.
Favorite musical genre - I'll listen to basically anything but I love different kinds of Korean music.
Your profession/major/career interest - I'm a college student right now and I'm not really sure what profession I want to work in yet.
Hobbies - Writing song lyrics, learning the ins and outs of photoshop, self teaching myself the Korean language, and playing video games.
KFC, Popeye's, Churches, or Bojangles? - I'll have to go with Popeyes even with their salty biscuits. I wish we had more chicken places here tbh.
Welcome welcome welcome new blood.
Welcome

Slayven

Welcome young blood

Africanus

Another Illinois fellow! Welcome.

I agree, there is a dearth of chicken places. Popeyes biscuits can be good depending on the location though.

D i Z

Right on, right on. Welcome.

Mizerman

Yo.

Hello and welcome to your next ban and remember

andthebeatgoeson

What up, Cray?

Do you make Kool Aid?

See, you assholes. See how ignorant that is? We ain't even talking about Kool Aid and it's just dumb.

Lurking ass bastards.

Gig

One man's junk is another man's treasure
The closest Popeye's to me is located in the oddest place, right next to an art museum. I don't think there are even any other fast food restaurants (possibly restaurants in general) in the area.

The closest Popeye's to me is located in the oddest place, right next to an art museum. I don't think there are even any other fast food restaurants (possibly restaurants in general) in the area.

Clearly they understand its historical significance

alternatively: something something it belongs in a museum

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
The reboot is a good game no arguement

actually I think I will argue with that

Tomb Raider 2013 was bland as fuck. It felt like a game where they had set up more gameplay systems originally and then pulled them all out when the focus groups thought the game was too complicated. The beginning of the game sets it up like survival is going to be an issue, and base camps are going to be important for resting and like, recovering warmth, and you're going to have to make sure you have food, and hunting and crafting are going to be big deals, and all of that is just not in the game. hunting just gives you XP. Crafting is just like finding random "salvage", and not anything to do with getting specific materials and choosing how to use them. Like all this shit they set up in the first half hour of the game has no bearing on fucking anything, and they didn't replace it with anything.

Even the best part of that game, which is where you play stealthy with the bow, is completely irrelevant in the second half of the game as they keep throwing you into these arenas where your job is to shoot exploding barrels with machine guns and hide behind waist high walls.

Notice that none of that has anything to do with whether it's a good "Tomb Raider" game.

It's not, by the way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom