• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT12| Days of Future Bans

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dereck

GiT6HwT.gif

Lurkers outchea doing drive-bys on BCT members and they ain't even at our home base.

actually I think I will argue with that

Tomb Raider 2013 was bland as fuck. It felt like a game where they had set up more gameplay systems originally and then pulled them all out when the focus groups thought the game was too complicated. The beginning of the game sets it up like survival is going to be an issue, and base camps are going to be important for resting and like, recovering warmth, and you're going to have to make sure you have food, and hunting and crafting are going to be big deals, and all of that is just not in the game. hunting just gives you XP. Crafting is just like finding random "salvage", and not anything to do with getting specific materials and choosing how to use them. Like all this shit they set up in the first half hour of the game has no bearing on fucking anything, and they didn't replace it with anything.

Even the best part of that game, which is where you play stealthy with the bow, is completely irrelevant in the second half of the game as they keep throwing you into these arenas where your job is to shoot exploding barrels with machine guns and hide behind waist high walls.

Notice that none of that has anything to do with whether it's a good "Tomb Raider" game.

It's not, by the way.

I have to agree with all of that, plus I felt like they were also trying to imitate Uncharted with the spectacles and destruction. I thought uncharted was inspired by Tomb Raider, so I'm baffled why one would want to imitate the imitator. I also agree with Slayven that they went overboard on beating up Lara and putting her in pools of blood and rooms filled with skulls.

Game was just okay. Don't really care to play it again.

PInk Tape

Banned
Thanks for the warm welcoming, guys!
Hello and welcome to your next ban and remember

Sound advice. I'll keep it in mind.
Hiya Crayjay!

Hey Beef!
Another Illinois fellow! Welcome.

I agree, there is a dearth of chicken places. Popeyes biscuits can be good depending on the location though.

I'll take your word for it. The only chicken place in my area, besides KFC and Popeyes, is Chic a Fila and that's like a 20-30 minute drive depending on the traffic.

making dad jokes and pissing off GOP obama is best obama

You know he watched that Thanksgiving Day episode of WKRP in Cincinnati back in the day.

And today I learned that the term "moe" has been stretched and morphed so much that a grown ass man who is a scraggly ass broke gambler can be considered moe. "Moe" is now a useless term.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
I have to agree with all of that, plus I felt like they were also trying to imitate Uncharted with the spectacles and destruction. I thought uncharted was inspired by Tomb Raider, so I'm baffled why one would want to imitate the imitator.
Because money, that's why.

I also agree with Slayven that they went overboard on beating up Lara and putting her in pools of blood and rooms filled with skulls.
They totally did, but I would even have been okay with that if they had followed through with actual survival gameplay. Like, if you as the player have to work specifically to make her survive, it makes more sense that they would beat her up. As it is, they beat her up for no reason, because who gives a shit about Lara wincing in pain when in the game you can get shot a bunch and just wait a second for the health to recharge?

It's so frustrating. Fuck making a "real" Tomb Raider game, if they had just followed through with what the game itself promised, that thing would have been way better.

andthebeatgoeson

I always ask Slay for permission to antagonize the white race, he's so masterful. Just a master of all race relations. But sleep right now, so I'll wait til the mornin. Or, as we say around these here parts, da mawnin.

Numb

I have to agree with all of that, plus I felt like they were also trying to imitate Uncharted with the spectacles and destruction. I thought uncharted was inspired by Tomb Raider, so I'm baffled why one would want to imitate the imitator. I also agree with Slayven that they went overboard on beating up Lara and putting her in pools of blood and rooms filled with skulls.
Some of those death animations were more brutal that MK fatalities.
Way too brutal.

I always ask Slay for permission to antagonize the white race, he's so masterful. Just a master of all race relations. But sleep right now, so I'll wait til the mornin. Or, as we say around these here parts, da mawnin.

mjlol.png

Gnight man

D i Z

Because money, that's why.

They totally did, but I would even have been okay with that if they had followed through with actual survival gameplay. Like, if you as the player have to work specifically to make her survive, it makes more sense that they would beat her up. As it is, they beat her up for no reason, because who gives a shit about Lara wincing in pain when in the game you can get shot a bunch and just wait a second for the health to recharge?

It's so frustrating. Fuck making a "real" Tomb Raider game, if they had just followed through with what the game itself promised, that thing would have been way better.

I have to agree with all of this also. I found it odd as fuck to have to adjust to what they were setting up as survivalist gameplay. By the time I came around and was in the groove and ready to do that shit, they abandoned it altogether.
They really couldn't figure out what the game was supposed to be so they ran with default shoot everyone in the head by mid-game.
Not a fan of any aspect of the writing either. I found it to be all around very mediocre, borderline bad.

naw brehs, Tomb Raider was legit as fuck and Rise of the Tomb Raiders is a legit GOTY contender

I've got a feeling that just like 2013, that GOTY talk is going to calm down real quick when the dust settles.

naw brehs, Tomb Raider was legit as fuck and Rise of the Tomb Raiders is a legit GOTY contender

I wish you would raid tombs, instead of brutally murdering bunch of folks, with Lara's inconsistent characterization tho.

It was fine, but around 5 hours in, I was tired of playing the game.

Fuck modern Crystal Dynamics.

harSon

Banned
I have to agree with all of this also. I found it odd as fuck to have to adjust to what they were setting up as survivalist gameplay. By the time I came around and was in the groove and ready to do that shit, they abandoned it altogether.
They really couldn't figure out what the game was supposed to be so they ran with default shoot everyone in the head by mid-game.
Not a fan of any aspect of the writing either. I found it to be all around very mediocre, borderline bad.

I've got a feeling that just like 2013, that GOTY talk is going to calm down real quick when the dust settles.

It's not my GOTY, I'm just saying that it definitely deserves to be a part of that conversation.

Shy

It seems I forgot to introduce myself, I apologize.

Where you're from - Illinois
Where you live - Northern Illinois
What is your age? - 19. I'll be 20 in January.
Your cultural heritage, lineage and genealogy - I'm Caucasian on my mother's side and Latino on my father's side. I consider myself biracial.
Do you know your roots - German, Polish, and possibly French on my mother's side and Mexican on my father's.
Favorite musical genre - I'll listen to basically anything but I love different kinds of Korean music.
Your profession/major/career interest - I'm a college student right now and I'm not really sure what profession I want to work in yet.
Your religious affiliation - Agnostic.
Hobbies - Writing song lyrics, learning the ins and outs of photoshop, self teaching myself the Korean language, and playing video games.
KFC, Popeye's, Churches, or Bojangles? - I'll have to go with Popeyes even with their salty biscuits. I wish we had more chicken places here tbh.
Welcome to you, new fam, hope you have an awesome time here.

Afrocious

i dont know why i still fill out that EEO stuff when looking for new jobs

i genuinely think folks try to short change me when i mention i'm black

zeemumu

I'd feel better if Doom started out as an established presence in a superhero film for once instead of insisting on constantly tying the origin of his powers and appearance into the Fantastic Four's origin story. He can be his own guy. He doesn't have to be the evil businessman funding their cosmic radiation adventure. I want the movie to start out with Doom already in power as Latveria's ruler. He and Reed can still have their banter but they don't have to both get their powers in the same freak accident. This isn't Daredevil and the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.

Game was just okay. Don't really care to play it again.
Good god I feel the same. Uncharted 2 was fun. Tomb raider felt like a trial

Good god, listening to my old mixtapes. How the fuck did I go from New Jack Swing to Utada Hikaru (EDIT - and back to New Jack Swing) ?!?! This mixtape just went from 100 to about 25 xD

I'd feel better if Doom started out as an established presence in a superhero film for once instead of insisting on constantly tying the origin of his powers and appearance into the Fantastic Four's origin story. He can be his own guy. He doesn't have to be the evil businessman funding their cosmic radiation adventure. I want the movie to start out with Doom already in power as Latveria's ruler. He and Reed can still have their banter but they don't have to both get their powers in the same freak accident. This isn't Daredevil and the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.

True shit, I feel we'd get a Better movie if they just hit the groound running with a new adventure instead of doing another origin.

I think at this point audiences are probably cool just jumping into superhero stories without an origin build up. People putting this stuff out probably still feel we all need a trial of a lead up beforehand though. I'd be nice if origins were at least 2-4 minutes of screen time instead of 10% of some of these films at least.

Good god, listening to my old mixtapes. How the fuck did I go from New Jack Swing to Utada Hikaru (EDIT - and back to New Jack Swing) ?!?! This mixtape just went from 100 to about 25 xD

Mash em up to get Simple and Swing. Best of both worlds

Another dude stressing over a pregnancy in OT. Why does it always seem like the guys with the moral hang ups on abortion are also the ones who never seem to have heard of contraception? Are they all just Catholics? Because even then there doesn't even seem to be any regret screwing out of wedlock in the first place.

RedSwirl

actually I think I will argue with that

Tomb Raider 2013 was bland as fuck. It felt like a game where they had set up more gameplay systems originally and then pulled them all out when the focus groups thought the game was too complicated. The beginning of the game sets it up like survival is going to be an issue, and base camps are going to be important for resting and like, recovering warmth, and you're going to have to make sure you have food, and hunting and crafting are going to be big deals, and all of that is just not in the game. hunting just gives you XP. Crafting is just like finding random "salvage", and not anything to do with getting specific materials and choosing how to use them. Like all this shit they set up in the first half hour of the game has no bearing on fucking anything, and they didn't replace it with anything.

Even the best part of that game, which is where you play stealthy with the bow, is completely irrelevant in the second half of the game as they keep throwing you into these arenas where your job is to shoot exploding barrels with machine guns and hide behind waist high walls.

Notice that none of that has anything to do with whether it's a good "Tomb Raider" game.

It's not, by the way.

Agreed. I thought they turned Tomb Raider into just another bland shooter with Ubisoft-style open world design. It felt like an amalgamation of every popular mechanic in AAA games right now, half of them not needing to be there. The lack of focus on puzzles and tombs is off-putting because that's the one thing the previous several games did well.

Slayven

You joking but I bet you 10 bucks in 6 months time someone will reference it in all seriousness.

zeemumu

I think at this point audiences are probably cool just jumping into superhero stories without an origin build up. People putting this stuff out probably still feel we all need a trial of a lead up beforehand though. I'd be nice if origins were at least 2-4 minutes of screen time instead of 10% of some of these films at least.

They're at least starting to do that with some of their movies. Civil War already has Black Panther and Spider-Man as established superheroes, and Batman v. Superman already has an established Joker, Batman, and Wonder Woman

Morning, all. Hope y'all had a great Thanksgiving. Thanks Slayven for looking out and thanks to you Shy for keeping me and Jean company. Appreciate all the well wishes from the BCT fam..I think I should be good for a good 8 months. And with that..

stooge_turkey.png

Pork Solder>>>>>>>everything else

Kreed

Morning, all. Hope y'all had a great Thanksgiving. Thanks Slayven for looking out and thanks to you Shy for keeping me and Jean company. Appreciate all the well wishes from the BCT fam..I think I should be good for a good 8 months. And with that..

https://swiftsureranch.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/10/stooge_turkey.png[img]

[spoiler]Pork Solder>>>>>>>everything else[/spoiler][/QUOTE]

Welcome back Gordon! Glad Slay and Shy were able to help you and Jean out.

Order

stooge_turkey.png

Welcome back

stooge_turkey.png

Welcome back. Let's get some Church's chicken strips

ChamplooJones

Formerly Momotaro
Tomb Raider reboot was okay, and that's really it. It didn't really do one thing spectacular. Kinda like Watch Dogs.

And welcome back Gordon!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom