• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT13| Kimba is the New Blacked

Just that MJ outclasses him musically in every way
Bullshit. MJ is famous in the way that Britney Spears is famous. He put on a good spectacle
when he wasn't too busy getting high and raping kids.

and transcends the width and breadth of music.
Bullshit. MJ, just put a white face on things black people did better.

MJ songs can and often do go in wildly different directions from each other.
Trash will scatter in a strong breeze.

Prince is good.
Prince is everything a musician, producer, composer, songwriter, dancer, singer should be. When he's gone who will carry on the torch? The Wacknd?

Michael was a genius.
At getting high and raping kids? I guess.

One of the two will still be getting regular play fifty years from now,
"The story goes that if Prince were to leave the world tomorrow, he has enough unreleased material to put out an album a year until sometime in the 22nd century. "

the other will fall from the collective subconscious not long after dying.
I'll be the first to admit I haven't thought of MJ since 2009, so you might be on to something.
YtqT12l.gif

Malyse

Bullshit. MJ is famous in the way that Britney Spears is famous. He put on a good spectacle

Bullshit. MJ, just put a white face on things black people did better.

Trash will scatter in a strong breeze.

Prince is everything a musician, producer, composer, songwriter, dancer, singer should be. When he's gone who will carry on the torch? The Wacknd?

At getting high and raping kids? I guess.

"The story goes that if Prince were to leave the world tomorrow, he has enough unreleased material to put out an album a year until sometime in the 22nd century. "

I'll be the first to admit I haven't thought of MJ since 2009, so you might be on to something.
YtqT12l.gif
<+)O Robido O(+<
6pIDMxp.gif

Checks out guys.

Sorry your idol isn't as good as you wish he was, but the only thing Prince is better than MJ at is not dying.

Bullshit. MJ, just put a white face on things black people did better

wonka1.jpg

<+)O Robido O(+<
6pIDMxp.gif

Checks out guys.
YWuEFTQ.gif

Sorry your idol isn't as good as you wish he was, but the only thing Prince is better than MJ at is not dying.
oh, but theres more:
  • better at not fucking babies.
  • better at not being drug addled.
  • better at not jacking white children from their mothers and parading them as his own.
I'm sure there's tons more to add to that list. But as far as being a musician and not a sideshow attraction, Prince got what you need.
JGF5MHX.gif

Malyse

Prince and MJ slander? Reaching new lows in 2016.
Excuse me, I'm not and never said Prince was bad, rather only he is not nearly as good MJ. There's really only MJ slander happening.
This higher moral ground is very discomforting

akira28

I see we at the tail end of the cookout where uncle Julius had too much E&J.

cue the phones being pulled out and the plates being made...

you know both guys are talented as fuck. And if MJ did it, fuck him, if he didn't, may he be reclaimed. I'm still going to sing along to the falsetto part of PYT because Mike didn't even write that song. anyway, lets see the popgaf incursion play out.

JLynn

Not one day in and we lost Natalie Cole.

Damn

Not to mention one of the last deaths of 2015 was Meadowlark Lemon.

I was in Philly when the Cosby charges went down and it was on all the TV networks and the majority of black radio. Family's Kwanzaa celebration was basically me and the fiancée vs. my entire family including the women. The majority of my black friends on my facebook wall support Cosby including the women. I sigh at it.

I also found out the fiancée didn't feel Chris Brown wasn't completely wrong. Sideeye from me.

As for MJ vs. Prince This is my favorite article about it.

Malyse

Not to mention one of the last deaths of 2015 was Meadowlark Lemon.

I was in Philly when the Cosby charges went down and it was on all the TV networks and the majority of black radio. Family's Kwanzaa celebration was basically me and the fiancée vs. my entire family including the women. The majority of my black friends on my facebook wall support Cosby including the women. I sigh at it.

I also found out the fiancée didn't feel Chris Brown wasn't completely wrong. Sideeye from me.

As for MJ vs. Prince This is my favorite article about it.

Hmm.

Now I'm thinking that for the annual BHM thread I should have an In Remembrance section for all of the major public figures that passed since last year.

Assuming I'm not banned for the 10th(?) time

akira28

Finn/Rey is kind of boring the more I think about it. I mean...the only thing she has going for her is that she's the main girl.

I mean, I can see the early strains of the 'love at first sight' refrain, but the verses seem a little Forced...or maybe it's all misdirection, in which case, don't waste my time JJ.

i'm going the other way this year tho not nearly enough alligator pics

don't let his lies and "2 years of horse jokes" slander fool you. that "gata" is a horse
he's just lucky they discovered his spirit animal in time.

JLynn

Hmm.

Now I'm thinking that for the annual BHM thread I should have an In Remembrance section for all of the major public figures that passed since last year.

I'm legit surprised no one mentioned him on ALL of GAF. Meadowlark was one of the original crossover athletes who was playing through to the late 80's, not missing a beat unlike a certain crossover basketball icon who shall remain nameless (Jordan). And I'm all for a memorandum.

Another thing about MJ vs. Prince. Prince was jealous that MJ could make entertaining anyone around the world looks so simple. MJ was jealous that Prince could make songwriting, instrument arrangement, and record production look so simple (It's no secret Michael often hummed melodies on his tape recorder, played it to his musicians and told them to play their instruments exactly like how he hummed them.). BOTH will be remembered decades and centuries from today.

And on another note, has anybody see this?

So I watched Star Wars.
I fucking loved it.

Finn and Poe were the stand out characters for me, completely stole the show every time they were on screen.

Kylo Ren shouldn't have taken off the mask but was awesome regardless.

Personally, I think Finn did too good a job against Kylo to not have any force sensitivity but I'd be ok with him being completely force mute because of this:

TFA-3-Finn-vs-Kylo.gif

Dude knows he has no chance and still lights up the sabre to defend Rey. That is the most Jedi thing in the last four Star Wars films combined.

Numb

So I watched Star Wars.
I fucking loved it.

Finn and Poe were the stand out characters for me, completely stole the show every time they were on screen.

Kylo Ren shouldn't have taken off the mask but was awesome regardless.

Personally, I think Finn did too good a job against Kylo to not have any force sensitivity but I'd be ok with him being completely force mute because of this:

TFA-3-Finn-vs-Kylo.gif

Dude knows he has no chance and still lights up the sabre to defend Rey. That is the most Jedi thing in the last four Star Wars films combined.
Didn't know how Finn was gonna turn out.
Turned into a much funnier and livelier character which was actually better than what i had in mind. Sad he wasn't the big main character they advertised.
Kylo had some bursts(explosions?) of emotions that just made me laugh. Although he was real cool that first time he showed up. Without helmet mode is when he goes from cool to that. Liked it.

Mj vs Prince - Both guys had traits that the other dreamed he could have, and it showed in both careers. I like listening to Prince way more though, but MJ is way more consistent. Nothing in Invincible matches up to Prince's bad songs.

As for Finn
Him posting up to a Sith Apprentice without force sensitivity is a level of heroism and bravery both the OT and PT cast could barely touch.

Malyse

Finn/Rey is kind of boring the more I think about it. I mean...the only thing she has going for her is that she's the main girl.

I mean, I can see the early strains of the 'love at first sight' refrain, but the verses seem a little Forced...or maybe it's all misdirection, in which case, don't waste my time JJ.

don't let his lies and "2 years of horse jokes" slander fool you. that "gata" is a horse
he's just lucky they discovered his spirit animal in time.

The thing about TFA is that it gets better the further down the rabbit hole you go.

Medium spoilers:

FN-2187 was the best recruit in First Order training and was constantly getting called out a the type of stormtrooper the others should all aspire to be like. Because of that, most of the others didn't associate with him; he is one of the only troopers to not have a nickname. That's part of why Poe giving him the name Finn was so important to him.

The stormtroopers basically operated in four man cells. The FN cell consisted of FN-2000 (Zeroes), FN-2199 (Nines), FN-2003 (Slip), and FN-2187. Slip was a fuck up and was always being saved by FN-2187, right up until Captain Phasma told him to stop. Either Slip would get good enough to pull his own weight, or Slip would die. Either way, the First Order would become stronger. That stormtrooper that gets killed at the start? Slip, in one of the only times 2187 wasn't protecting him. The tonfa badass everyone is calling TR-8R? Either Zeroes or Nines.

The supplementals on this are pretty great IMO.
As for Finn
Him posting up to a Sith Apprentice without force sensitivity is a level of heroism and bravery both the OT and PT cast could barely touch.
Kylo Ren isn't a Sith, he's a Knight of Ren.

Shy

Happy New Year everyone.
Fucking late Happy New Year!!! Another year of blessings and neverending fuckery.

Its 2016 and we still here.
Little late, but Happy New Year everybody! <3
Happy new years
Happy new year.
Happy New Year, everybody!
Have a great New Year everyone!
Happy New Year.
Happy new year y'all
Happy New Year fam!
Happy new years breh. Let the new year fuckey begin.
happy new year's fam
Happy new year, lets hope 2016 will put us on the up and up, lotta depressing stuff we had to get thru in 2015.
Happy new year guys.
Well, Happy New Year BCT!.
happy new year niggas
Happy New Year motherfuckers!
Happy New Years fam &#128522;
Another year down, ready for the next. Happy New Year, BCT.
8wgn3hh.gif

Right back at you, you lovely peoples.
I see him as black, tho.

Or, at least, I would like to hang out with him.
Yep, he seems like a cool down to earth chap.

*virtually

AKA the king of ___

Again, I'm not saying Prince is bad. Just that MJ outclasses him musically in every way and transcends the width and breadth of music. MJ songs can and often do go in wildly different directions from each other. Prince is good. Michael was a genius. One of the two will still be getting regular play fifty years from now, the other will fall from the collective subconscious not long after dying.

I guess I'm just trying to figure out why you needed to drag Prince in order to praise MJ.

People are going to remember Michael Jackson as a great entertainer with a very long career. As they should.

But if you think people won't remember Prince as a great musician, you are highly mistaken.

Top Bottom