• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT13| Kimba is the New Blacked

D i Z

Speaking of race in video games, would you guys be interested in reading an article that explored the concept of race / humans living in a post-racial society in the Halo franchise? I was disappointed to find out nobody had really done anything similar, but then realized I own a Halo content site and also write, so yeah.

Do it. I'd read it.

The Incredibles 2 needs to happen though. One of the best superhero movies that people hardly mention.

It's in production, yeah? They took way too long to get back to it though.

I think I'm looking at this video and getting frustrated because I'm at a point in my life where I'm kinda through working with white men and having to deal with bullshit that stems from ignorance despite the fact they can call all the shots at a company.

When I see Druckmann, I just see a white man who has the authority to say what stays and goes. He said there will be a black woman, and God created a black woman in Uncharted. I can't say if he thought he figured he'd get a point toward his "i'm not racist" scoreboard, but I'm still tired of it.

I think what I'm stumbling around trying to say is that I dislike how it feels like we gotta wait all the time for white people decide to add people of color to our videogames.

My thing is that I don't really understand what he hoped to gain from A) addressing it in the first place B) giving the position that he did. What I pretty much got out of it all was that they dismissed the concerns as being worth really looking at, and kind of sidelined the whole issue when they had a chance to actually do something about it. Because it wasn't really an issue of importance for them, they kind of went "oh well, hopefully no one notices. We have the dopest lunches, ya'll".

lol I said that to myself when I clicked reply
yeb1kVr.gif

Merc_

God, you guys need to let it go and stop caring about race in video games. It's such a pointless non issue!

Now let me tell you about why removing the boob slider from Xenoblade Chronicles X is a affront to man and nature.

You see

God, you guys need to let it go and stop caring about race in video games. It's such a pointless non issue!

Now let me tell you about why removing the boob slider from Xenoblade Chronicles X is a affront to man and nature.
LMAO Ethics in boobyism. Also, leave Demi alone! 😁

Let it be about a CGI 11 year old in a G string

Mothafuckas would be ready to jump down my got damn throat over their 1000 year old demons. But we can't have shit....

I am so ready for the African game industry to get bigger. They're probably not going to go beyond small titles and mobile games but just the thought of a game like Aurion getting the full AAA treatment makes me salivate.

Numb

Mothafuckas would be ready to jump down my got damn throat over their 1000 year old demons. But we can't have shit....

I am so ready for the African game industry to get bigger. They're probably not going to go beyond small titles and mobile games but just the thought of a game like Aurion getting the full AAA treatment makes me salivate.

It's those turtles right?

lqDmvQ6.gif

Like the way the game is already but could use smoother animations.
Down with the AAA treatment.
although games like these rarely get it

Jacir

You know what is probably crazy. Was Square using the latest sdk that unlocked the 7th core for FF7R? I don't think so!

Furyous

I'mma have to take a break from gaming side for a while. The sheer frustration that place gives me isn't worth it.

What did I miss?

--

Yeah PSX happened and I need help holding all these games. FF7 remake trailer continues to wow me. How does the BCT feel about VR? Are we ready for a VR future?

Cudi just released the worst album of the year and no one is talking about it.

Numb

VR gonna be something i need impressions from people i know to see what's up cos no amount of demoing is helping.

Numb

Anyone playing Xenoblade in here? I'm loving it, cannot wait to unlock the Skells.
Here and saw some BCT folk in the OT.
Getting back to it on monday for real. It's Capcom cup time.
Hoping someone I know gets to mess with it as well. I'm all for it, but also like to know what I'm getting into.

Waiting to see if they bring some stations near here or the stores do it themselves.
I think VR people see that it ain't easy to explain and might do this.

I'll post that writeup when it's done, ideally I'll have it finished sometime this week.

My favorite part about shitposters like this are that, without fail, whenever someone calls them out their response is always "highly constructive and well thought-out post. I see you haven't bothered making a counterargument because we both know deep down I'm right?"

Shy

How does the BCT feel about VR? Are we ready for a VR future?
I'm very much down with it, but i suffer from extreme motion sickness, and feel very uncomfortable (possibly afraid) of being cut-off from my surroundings.

I've stupidly got it stuck in my head someone is going come up on me, which is odd, because when VR came out the first time in the arcades, i played them a lot.

I think VR is a fad.. I played with the samsung VR multiple times at work and its underwhelming. That may not be the best use of it but I feel if the technology dont look comfortable, affordable and normal its bound to be niche. The VR headsets look like something from an old movie tryna depict the future.

RedSwirl

You see

Something about messing with the creator's existing artistic vision.

That would inevitably come as a part of African tech industry growth in general right? Black silicon valley? That could very well end up being a Nigerian or Kenyan silicon valley -- a literal Wakanda so to speak. Do we need to start thinking up hypothetical names for the first African tech giant?

RedSwirl

Sorry to double post, but a few Google searches have brought up the term "Silicon Savannah," specifically around Nairobi. So the ball has already gotten rolling.

I guess I should finally ask though, and this is a more general question that might turn into a long-ass paragraph, but I never really figured out why Sub-Saharan Africa was less developed to begin with, I mean before European colonization happened. If you'll allow me to indulge in some geographic determinism, a bit of looking around has led me to believe the native civilizations of the Americas lacked indigenous pack animals which really slowed down their development compared to Europeans and Asians. The Middle East and Eastern Europe got destroyed by the Mongols in the 13th century (and khanates dominated China and India for a time from what I can tell). China was simply not expansionist like Europe was, either that or it and India were already surrounded by hinterlands to assimilate while the Europeans had to get on boats to find some. Australia had no indigenous founder crops or pack animals (that I know of). What was it that held Africa back?

I know there were places south of the Sahara where things developed beyond hunter-gathering before Europeans arrived, but to what extent I'm not sure.

What did I miss?

--

Yeah PSX happened and I need help holding all these games. FF7 remake trailer continues to wow me. How does the BCT feel about VR? Are we ready for a VR future?

It will be 2 decades before you look down in VR and see non-white hands/arms

I've been ready for VR, but it's probably going to kill me. We'll see.

It will be 2 decades before you look down in VR and see non-white hands/arms

This is probably true :(
Sorry to double post, but a few Google searches have brought up the term "Silicon Savannah," specifically around Nairobi. So the ball has already gotten rolling.

I guess I should finally ask though, and this is a more general question that might turn into a long-ass paragraph, but I never really figured out why Sub-Saharan Africa was less developed to begin with, I mean before European colonization happened. If you'll allow me to indulge in some geographic determinism, a bit of looking around has led me to believe the native civilizations of the Americas lacked indigenous pack animals which really slowed down their development compared to Europeans and Asians. The Middle East and Eastern Europe got destroyed by the Mongols in the 13th century (and khanates dominated China and India for a time from what I can tell). China was simply not expansionist like Europe was, either that or it and India were already surrounded by hinterlands to assimilate while the Europeans had to get on boats to find some. Australia had no indigenous founder crops or pack animals (that I know of). What was it that held Africa back?

I know there were places south of the Sahara where things developed beyond hunter-gathering before Europeans arrived, but to what extent I'm not sure.
If someone more knowledgeable on the subject could correct me if I am wrong that would be appreciated but from my understanding the fact that many sub-saharan African nations were isolated and separated by harsh weather conditions made it harder for communication and the trade of ideas. Europe on the other hand, had access to knowledge coming from the middle east, the horn of Africa, and asia and was able to use that to their advantage. There's a book on the subject I've been meaning to read actually its called Guns, Germs, and Steel

dabig2

I'm going to say lack of resources and a much harsher climate. Early humans abandoned Africa for a reason eons ago, and it's because it sucked. Ancient Egypt and the equally awesome ancient Kush Empire were lucky to have the rich resources of the fertile land surrounding the Nile Region. Their sub-Saharan brothers...not so much.

jmood88

I was going through the article I linked earlier and saw a quote about white actors playing black characters:

These games represent something fairly unique, but also unfortunately shared a big problem. While the parent types are voiced by black actors, Orlessa Altass as Scylla Cartier-Wells (mother to Nillin) and Dave Fennoy as Lee Everett (adoptive father to Clementine) respectively, both Nillin and Clementine are voiced by white actors quite literally removing their blackness. I have caught a lot of backlash mentioning this, but my argument always is, would you put brown makeup on a white actor to cast them as a black character in this day and age? The answer is obviously no.

As the previous would be considered blackface, casting black characters with white voice actors is what I coined "digital black face". It removes everything from the character, and only perpetuates that games are so white, that they can't even find actors to play the occasional black character. Saturday Night Live caught hell for this, why not games?

Malyse

Crisis Core and Advent Children Cloud do look pretty similar in terms of build, but for some reason FFVIIR Cloud is looking extra weak. Maybe it's just that you can see the actual muscles under his skin now. God damn. He's definitely a lot slimmer compared to the Kingdom Hearts and Smash Bros. models though.
Cloud has always been a weakling. It's because he's a fake, a wannabe.
Anyone playing Xenoblade in here? I'm loving it, cannot wait to unlock the Skells.

They fixed all the bullshit from Xenoblade
This one. Folks are getting real mad about the battle system they've seen all of 6 seconds of.
menacing_grin_grinch.gif

-----

OH MY GOD.

Imagine if Master Chief took off his helmet and he was black.

20000 response thread in less than a day.

Africanus

I would kill for a real honest discussion on race in gaming and gaming culture.

After reading that "How my parents explained race" thread, the scales fell from my eyes, and I was enlightened. If that is the background the more 'moderate' ,relatively, people have on offtopic, what of those in gaming?

I'd view it as a lost cause, but it could influence some developers so it should happen for that sake alone.

Mr. Escalante hard at work again.

andthebeatgoeson

After reading that "How my parents explained race" thread, the scales fell from my eyes, and I was enlightened. If that is the background the more 'moderate' ,relatively, people have on offtopic, what of those in gaming?

I'd view it as a lost cause, but it could influence some developers so it should happen for that sake alone.

Mr. Escalante hard at work again.
He said he was color blind. I blame the parents and leaders. They sold them fake goods. You can't give a kid a negative response every query and expect that to be 'color blind'.

Or maybe they just made that term up to continue the denial. It's why some love movies like The Blind Side. They never got a chance to deal with it effectively, so they just made up their history.

can't wait for the deep rebuttals.

Fantastic post. Looks like the response from the other side is just variations on: "Well if you read the OP, you'd know that Nadine was cast before they decided on race! Shouldn't have wasted your time typing dumdum."

Rather than learn a greater truth about the industry, they choose to shut down the argument for the technicalities of this particular situation, despite the very post they're "rebutting" stating explicitly that they had no further beef with ND since it was addressed by the creator. "Well I see it's bad but don't you see that in this situation, it's not as bad as you claim to be so you black people should stop bullying Naughty Dog!"

Slayven

Fantastic post. Looks like the response from the other side is just variations on: "Well if you read the OP, you'd know that Nadine was cast before they decided on race! Shouldn't have wasted your time typing dumdum."

Rather than learn a greater truth about the industry, they choose to shut down the argument for the technicalities of this particular situation, despite the very post they're "rebutting" stating explicitly that they had no further beef with ND since it was addressed by the creator. "Well I see it's bad but don't you see that in this situation, it's not as bad as you claim to be so you black people should stop bullying Naughty Dog!"
" Gay Black teen" is the new Bernie Marched with MLK
Ni No Kuni 2 looks cool, hopefully L5 uses the expeeience to work on a console Yokai Watch or Dark Cloud 3.

I really hate the designs for Yokai Watch.

Top Bottom