• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT13| Kimba is the New Blacked

Shy

Dammm. Poor Kraft.
PIfgEhV.gif

I think i have a timing problem. The podcast I listen to all have faster than normal theme songs to me. I noticed this week's ago

Nvm right after posting I noticed I had it on 1.2, speed accidentally

I don't think people really consider how essential their anger to the very idea of diversity is to the overall issue. The fact that one flippant question can't be asked without people defending "the artist's vision" with their lives and all their vitriol is part of the reason that this discussion can't lead to anything substantial and is in part why this lack of diversity can continue. It treats a simple challenge as though it's a mobbing and call for destruction of a particular artist.

Malyse

I don't think people really consider how essential their anger to the very idea of diversity is to the overall issue. The fact that one flippant question can't be asked without people defending "the artist's vision" with their lives and all their vitriol is part of the reason that this discussion can't lead to anything substantial and is in part why this lack of diversity can continue. It treats a simple challenge as though it's a mobbing and call for destruction of a particular artist.

You remind me of a tumblr post I saw going around talking about how the way to make white folk angry isn't to say honkey or cracker, but to tell them no or call them racist.

----

That being said, I think it bears repeating that Hamilton shows that there is no reason to not recast traditionally white roles as minorities.

Malyse

I'm pretty sure the dude wanted the hammer. Either that or he was someone's alt.

Members are rarely alts. I'm just curious if this is suspension or expulsion.

Rest and slip into sleep as we all change into costume. Don’t fret while a tonal detour takes me back to a strange piano recital, you can dream of sweets. The contest will be held and a dictator will be dealt with. In the end it will be like a “Saved by the Bell” and “Wizard of Oz” mashup. Really, that’s the end so now there is no need to stay awake.
Join Drake and I as we put you to sleep via dance. Eventually. You might fall asleep, but there is no need to work. With Drake’s help Judy Garland will have a costume. As will Drake. And Scooter? As you wish.
Sonic and the sound of rings should echo through your dreams. What started as a first date ends in a lesson about the downsides of chewing toys.
Lost pets, birthmarks and a trip on the Oregon trail will be your lullaby. Don’t fret about Tommen and Pounce as they have a new adventure for you.
I’ll swirl your thoughts into dreams and cosmically ladle them over your sleeping head, like that generic punch they always have at parties. Don’t worry this is liquid and sense free as we return to Hell for a welcome back party.
Fall asleep fast while our costume contest quest continues. Join Drake and Mumblebear as we travel to meet Julie Andrews. As you sleep you might say “weee message” but don’t worry it is just nonsense. Rest easy knowing that I will do my best to save this universe by picking out something that fits Dame Judy Andrews as perfect as her assistants’ teeth.

??

You remind me of a tumblr post I saw going around talking about how the way to make white folk angry isn't to say honkey or cracker, but to tell them no or call them racist.

----

That being said, I think it bears repeating that Hamilton shows that there is no reason to not recast traditionally white roles as minorities.

I mean it's too true. And I don't even get up in my own feelings when I act wrong. I've been racist before. I've been a sexist and a bigot before and acknowledging it hasn't destroyed me just made me more aware. Yet some people act as though the word is a curse. You won't die from acknowledging you've done, said or feed into something racist. But I guess you can only acknowledge that if you don't live in a bubble otherwise the very idea of saying a way you acted was wrong, hurts or disadvantages someone else is like a knife to the heart.

And yeah with Hamilton is heightened pseudo-reality just like Hail Ceaser but arguments of historical accuracy reign supreme, despite the fact that a complete absence of minorities at any level in Hollywood isn't really historically accurate either. And like I said in that topic, I've got even more of an issue with the Coen's smarmy response than I do with the movie. A competent and considerate artist can address a lack of diversity within reason. One that isn't resorts to "well we don't have martians in our movie do we?!"

Anyway, I'm done there. Get's me too riled up.

The sad thing is that I deal with people who sound like Fluvian IRL continually in my life. Many of them are either family or friends of family. Getting really tired of hearing this anti-PC culture rhetoric from easily-insulted asshole fuckboys who want to have a go at everyone and everything every chance they get. It's like it's inescapable. They're EVERYWHERE.

Kreed

I mean it's too true. And I don't even get up in my own feelings when I act wrong. I've been racist before. I've been a sexist and a bigot before and acknowledging it hasn't destroyed me just made me more aware. Yet some people act as though the word is a curse. You won't die from acknowledging you've done, said or feed into something racist. But I guess you can only acknowledge that if you don't live in a bubble otherwise the very idea of saying a way you acted was wrong, hurts or disadvantages someone else is like a knife to the heart.

And yeah with Hamilton is heightened pseudo-reality just like Hail Ceaser but arguments of historical accuracy reign supreme, despite the fact that a complete absence of minorities at any level in Hollywood isn't really historically accurate either. And like I said in that topic, I've got even more of an issue with the Coen's smarmy response than I do with the movie. A competent and considerate artist can address a lack of diversity within reason. One that isn't resorts to "well we don't have martians in our movie do we?!"

That's because in the US calling someone racist or saying they've done something racist has turned into equating them to KKK members. In addition, the way people in the US like to use the racist label, there's no "escaping" it once it's been issued. This also stems from the fact that many people are uncomfortable talking about discrimination in any form/they just want things to remain as they are. Example on GAF, we talk about discrimination all the time in communities on GAF, but the mere creation of topics in the OT on the same subjects is enough to upset people/begin the "OMG stop being outraged" posts. In 13 OTs, I've YET to see anyone drive by post in here telling us we complain too much (most criticisms being about us talking about other things we aren't "supposed" to talk about like comics and video games) in the same fashion OT topics do. For a messageboard that's whole purpose is discussing things, this is extremely silly. If you can't discuss something, don't post about it. Why cry about "outrage" when you don't even have to participate?

In 13 OTs, I've YET to see anyone drive by post in here telling us we complain too much (most criticisms being about us talking about other things we aren't "supposed" to talk about like comics and video games) in the same fashion OT topics do.

This doesn't happen a lot, but it does happen..lots of fans out there.

Imm0rt4l

Anybody know when the Nigerian flag overlay is supposed to drop on facebook? I'm trying to get my clicktivism on.

😩🍵

Malyse

I would have snarked back "but you do have martians in your movies?"

And then the interview would be over as they walked away in anger and called their agent to blacklist me.

-----

Let sleep take you into her arms like a loving mother. Take a shell and listen to the sounds of me rambling about why it sounds like the ocean. Ever wonder about country bumpkins and sweet sixteens? I’ll cover that too, but you’ll be asleep. Don’t worry about missing Leslie Neilsen and his singing. Rest as Tommen yells to Kelpalina and I speak to the gods.

In 13 OTs, I've YET to see anyone drive by post in here telling us we complain too much (most criticisms being about us talking about other things we aren't "supposed" to talk about like comics and video games) in the same fashion OT topics do.

Lmao, what are we "supposed" to talk about?

EDIT: Not a dig at you Kreed.

Top Bottom