• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT13| Kimba is the New Blacked

Crocodile

Feedback please

http://imgur.com/a/wHVIG

Oh and feel free to use them if you want.

I think to get the best kind of feedback you need to remove some variables. There are both artstyle AND character design to consider here - sometimes think the character design is on point but the artstyle does nothing for me and vice versa. Going picture by picture:

1) The actual models needs some work but I think the design on the right (which is the same as in picture 2 right) is the best one. Simpler in a way that works.

2) Love the outfit, love the hair, love the confident smile. Tone it down on the bloom though, my poor eyes :(

3) I'm really liking the seaweed hair. Eyes + face + stance kind of have a nice degree of ferocity to them. Looks like a badass ready to kick ass.

4) Is this the same character as 3? What happened? Looks like "generic" anime. She looks deadpan instead of ferocious and her unique hair is gone. Nay to this I say. I'm also not feeling her name. Like it feels bad to actually pronounce.

5) White hair, tan skin, freckles is a good combo. I get a vibe of playfulness from her. Looks a bit like she picked her outfit out of a salad bowl. Is she a nature-aligned/green-thumb kind of character? The asymmetrical stockings are take it or leave it, fine either way.

6) Too animu for me. Not a fan of the stance or the face. The outfit is probably fine (I'm guessing its more casual than the one in 5) but the artstyle is a big enough turn off for me that I can't rate this highly. Pigeon-Toed stance is meh as well. I know its to emphasize cuteness but I'm not feeling it.

7) Outfit seems simple enough but I think I'd want to see if from a front view to really get a good look at it. Artsyle isn't me jam really. She gives off a more sullen/reserved vibe. Was that the intent? Her name also seems East Asian but I don't get that sense at all from her actual character design. Was that mismatch intentional?

8) Love everything about this - her fact, the outfit and artstyle. Since there is a lot of emphasis on her midrift, consider putting some more muscle on her? Like a six pack (it doesn't have to be/probably shouldn't be super well-defined though)? The pose and the cape and everything kind of give me a Western superhero vibe. Like she is about to fly off and punch some fools (or rescue a hostage). A vibe of hope.

9) Your main character right? Seems good to me, can't say I would change much. Maybe you don't need those long, purple see-through sleeves? Her first name is a mouthful though. Like is Amara not good enough? I assume she and Teala are sisters?

10) We got a bit of same-face going on with the characters. Why is blondie so sad? Why is the dude at the bottom left so mad? I'm not feeling Candy Cane Hair woman too but again that might be due to artstyle.

Overall I'm left with a positive impression though I'm not a personal fan of all the artists you've commissioned (I'm not saying they're bad, just that their artsyle isn't my preference). I look forward to playing this in 2025. Congrats on your new job BTW.

Is he even black anymore? I noticed that all drawings in story mode made everyone some tone of white, but never anything brown or dark. Was actually meaning to ask if I was just imagining things..

You saw what happened to Sean no? The art in a lot of "story mode" is straight up borked. It's clear it was a rush job (like most of the game :p)

Is Balrog considered dumb since he's just a Mike Tyson stand-in?

Or is he not even in the game? I don't play SF :p

Well Mike Tyson is dumb so a Mike Tyson stand-in is also dumb :p

Balrog is getting added as DLC in a few months.

Malyse

Just to clear, literally all the characters are going to be redrawn. They are all slightly off spec, so I'm having them redone to make them more accurate.

For example, Teala is supposed to be muscled like Korra, Eshelia is more petite, and I've completely changed the outfit for four characters cause boo.

Walpurgis

Banned
Team black for me. I did some googling and still can't find a definitive answer but it's clear that this has been a heavily debated topic.
9y6rePm.png

http://forums.shoryuken.com/discussion/95389/is-dudley-black-or-indian/p4
People in that thread were actually saying she was too cute to be black
Wow.... That's a new one.
You can't drop something like that without leaving a link.

Bubba T

I'm having senioritis like a motherfucker. I'm taking two finance classes and an econ course and I just don't give a fuck. I'm pretty much going over the same concept each week for every class which you think that would make shit easy, but fuck I just don't care right now.

Keep me on course brehs, because my brain is begging me to stop right now.

I always thought Dudley was black but now idk mane.

Do people think they gave him the Tiger Jackson outfit just cuz? There are no black guys right now in V, but I hope they put one of the three from SFIII in, preferably Dudley or Sean.

They can throw stereotyped and racist Balrog in the bushes.

Crocodile

Just to clear, literally all the characters are going to be redrawn. They are all slightly off spec, so I'm having them redone to make them more accurate.

For example, Teala is supposed to be muscled like Korra, Eshelia is more petite, and I've completely changed the outfit for four characters cause boo.

So if I'm commenting on old designs, are my words even useful to you or did I just throw a post into the void?

Anyone done a article on how black folks have been evaporating from fighting games?

Are we? I'm not sure that's a trend I'm noticing. What examples do you have in mind?

Malyse

So if I'm commenting on old designs, are my words even useful to you or did I just throw a post into the void?
Naw, it's useful. I can still put details in the character design, but I mainly wanted feedback on the designs as wallpapers. Basically,
did%20you%20like%20it.jpg

That's what I get for being opaque. 😅

Dai101

Banned
from a poster still with us:

Apparently intended as a joke, but not everyone can slay at the Apollo

Yeah, i thought i'd already read something like that but in a fatetious way, now i know where the non-fatetious completely sincere fuckery came.

And again, not surprised it came from the gaming side.

D i Z

I'm having senioritis like a motherfucker. I'm taking two finance classes and an econ course and I just don't give a fuck. I'm pretty much going over the same concept each week for every class which you think that would make shit easy, but fuck I just don't care right now.

Keep me on course brehs, because my brain is begging me to stop right now.

If nothing else, I'm sure you won't want to have to start it all over again. If for no other reason honor the time already invested.

TheFlow

Banned
Orlando Brown used to be fat now he looks like a drug dealer. Life after Disney can be rough.

I think Dudley is a English black man

The Adder

Banned
New computer in. TV back. Dark theme in place. I'm good to go.

Only thing to figure out now is why all of my borders are extending off screen despite my using the native resolution.

Top Bottom