• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT13| Kimba is the New Blacked

Slayven

Slay, is there any comic character with more outfits canges via adaptation than Harly Quinn? By with I mean drasticly altered like how animated =! Arkham =! Suicide Squad, ect.

Literally any of the X-men, really.

Animated (80s), animated (90s), MVC/Battle of the Atom, live action films are all completely different.

X-men change outfits pretty frequently though, outside of a couple of outliers like iceman who just run around nude

she really hasn't . Break ti down she has had the classic Harlequin look, a variation on that, and the relatively new heroin punk look.

andthebeatgoeson

Her IG for further research.

6615-000005-man-standing-under-waterfall-gettyimages.jpg

WWE when you gonna contribute to Flint?

Steph posting random MLK quotes on twitter dont really help them bruh

please link some more, this is dope

any good asian female rnb artists?

These songs are soo eighties i dunno if they are good or just good at sounding 80's

GWINKO - ティーンエイジ・ビート

Hiromi Iwasaki - Dream

with that Micheal Jackson rip-off sound
Kikuchi Momoko - Adventure

Disco
中山美穂 ‎– Waku Wakuさせて

i'm sure this is a translation of a song in English as it sounds familiar but can't point it out

and just b/c the dread game on her
MISIA

Malyse

18 BHM threads in 28 days. Not too shabby. I have one more thread for tomorrow, but I'm kinda dodging it for being distressing.

Also, J. Edgar Hoover is one of the worst evils to ever happen to this country.

Fun times. People try to say there's no way Trump could take it, but most of those spurned BernieBros are defacto Trumplings anyway
Yeah no shit. Think I might just stop entering those threads completely. Find some plugin that blocks both their names on GAF, and stick to the fun stuff..like shooting threads.

D i Z

Fun times. People try to say there's no way Trump could take it, but most of those spurned BernieBros are defacto Trumplings anyway

It is really only the party line that divides so many Berniebros from being in the Trump camp. I honestly believe that to most of those cats would hand wave away Trumps bullshit if his campaign was geared more towards them, and less towards middle America.

I really can't stand Hilary and I don't like the resounding argument that you're a sexist if you don't support Hilary and if you're a woman like me, you're just going against your interests. People use the same reasoning towards black folks supporting her. Like we need to support her because we're honor bound and black.

It is really only the party line that divides so many Berniebros from being in the Trump camp. I honestly believe that to most of those cats would hand wave away Trumps bullshit if his campaign was geared more towards them, and less towards middle America.

Yep. It's just dudes who want things "shaken up" but who won't really be affected by reversion of progress.

Hilary threads everywhere. Reality starting to set in.

Tuesday is going to be a dumpster fire with a few drums of toxic waste thrown in.

I really can't stand Hilary and I don't like the resounding argument that you're a sexist if you don't support Hilary and if you're a woman like me, you're just going against your interests. People use the same reasoning towards black folks supporting her. Like we need to support her because we're honor bound and black.

It's weird because I'm not seeing that, except for one poster who has said it in multiple threads. Yet, the whole "blacks vote against their self interest" actually seems to get the thumbs up by fellow Bernie supporters..which is kick you in the teeth worthy. I'm voting for whoever the nominee is. Sitting out affects my family, and I'm sure many others here, directly.

Forget this "lesser evil" talk. One will actively work to take away insurance, gay marriage, welfare programs, the works..the other will not. And then there's the SCOTUS issue. Who in their right mind is trying to leave that up to the republicans? Sitting it out is not an option. Sanders has said it himself..

It's weird because I'm not seeing that, except for one poster who has said it in multiple threads. Yet, the whole "blacks vote against their self interest" actually seems to get the thumbs up by fellow Bernie supporters..which is kick you in the teeth worthy. I'm voting for whoever the nominee is. Sitting out affects my family, and I'm sure many others here, directly.

Forget this "lesser evil" talk. One will actively work to take away insurance, gay marriage, welfare programs, the works..the other will not. And then there's the SCOTUS issue. Who in their right mind is trying to leave that up to the republicans? Sitting it out is not an option. Sanders has said it himself..

I'm voting for Hilary if she gets the nom for SCOTUS.

My problem is that people fail to regard the diversity of Bernie's supporters, and assume they're all white and male. You even have the term Berniebro. So a few Bernie supporters act like morons, and suddenly that takes away from the candidate's cause, but you guys are more than willing to defend Clinton, who used race and birther tactics against Obama in 08.

You're perfectly willing to get defensive when people play the "we're the one team for you, black people" despite Hilary's camp being in on that very thing, even to the point where Hilary literally started a war for support between civil rights activists and black leaders. You're perfectly willing to classify Bernie supporters as Berniebros without one inkling of thinking that some of us black and not even male.

Please choose.

Yeah I'm not really seeing this either. Where are you frequenting to hear this? I mostly hear black folks stanning for Bernie on tumblr(while they just shit on Hillary for various reasons without any criticism towards bernie himself.)

In fact I hear more that voting against bernie goes against my interests which is one, false, I could go either way tbh. And it also fails under logic that Bernie leans towards POC after only just tailoring some of his poltics towards minorities and even then we all know what he falls back to even to this day.

When you say "you guys" are you referring to anyone in particular? Because I've only ever said that I'm voting for the nominee..you won't find me stating otherwise in any of my post.

Yeah I'm not really seeing this either. Where are you frequenting to hear this? I mostly hear black folks stanning for Bernie on tumblr(while they just shit on Hillary for various reasons without any criticism towards bernie himself.)

In fact I hear more that voting against bernie goes against my interests which is one, false, I could go either way tbh. And it also fails under logic that Bernie leans towards POC after only just tailoring some of his poltics towards minorities and even then we all know what he falls back to even to this day.

Guess I'm seeing older folks talk about it.

I got older black folks on my facebook right now loud and proud to be a part of "the black vote" and being treated as a literal commodity.

When you say "you guys" are you referring to anyone in particular? Because I've only ever said that I'm voting for the nominee..you won't find me stating otherwise in any of my post.

Nope.

Just seeing a lot of anti-Bernie supporter stuff in this thread, as if Clinton's didn't use birther and racist rhetoric against Obama in 08.

So I'm confused.

Nope.

Just seeing a lot of anti-Bernie supporter stuff in this thread, as if Clinton's didn't use birther and racist rhetoric against Obama in 08.

So I'm confused.
Again, when everything lobbed at you is "MLK" or "you don't know what's best for you," it'll have that effect. Guessing that's how you feel as well when you see those older folks talking Hilary on your Facebook thingy. There are vocal Bernie supporters here. Perhaps you just don't read the thread enough or just plain missed the post.

Guess I'm seeing older folks talk about it.

I got older black folks on my facebook right now loud and proud to be a part of "the black vote" and being treated as a literal commodity.

Nope.

So I'm confused.

Well yeah, Older Black voters are going to lean Hillary because they liked the clinton's despite what things they have done against them. They aren't going to do the research because well they either work too much or already have their minds set. Tbh this election matters more to younger voter(aka Not Slayven) because its gonna directly affect them so they are more concerned about the nuances.

A lot of Bernie's supporters have been really stupid with the way they try to sell their candidate. Especially on gaf, saying that Bernie is best for us because of either very flimsy reasoning or just thinking they know what's best for us. Personally I dislike cults of personality around people because they start to worship the idea of a person than what is actually shown.

Dig up a few threads from 08, and you'll find a similar level of disdain, especially when she basically refused to concede even though it was mathematically impossible for her to win. A lot of Hilary supporters said they'd vote McCain etc. Most of that changed once Sarah Palin opened her mouth and Tina Fey followed-up.

But jumping forward to now, a lot of the Bernie posts are flat out insane. The thread in OT has eugenics talk as well as batshit stuff.

I have friends that support Bernie without reverting to any of those arguments. It's entirely possible to find great discourse about politics, but when people don't even read links, or post diet racism or full strength wild turkey race bait garbage, it's pretty easy to dismiss the entire group when half are posting shit you find on storm front.

I don't really post that much in general, but the race and politics threads bring out a lot of fuckery. Mix them? Asking for it.

i've never seen rumblings this early from friends, family and acquaintances about getting registered and going to vote. seems that while hope was powerful, fear is even greater. so many people i know dragging their just-old-enough-to-vote family members to go register because of the fear of Donald Trump. i wonder what the turnout will actually be like...

I think the Bernie supporters who are saying they won't vote for Hilary will come around. Right now emotions are high. When Trump and Clinton have a debate, anyone with a brain is going to be going for her.

Again, when everything lobbed at you is "MLK" or "you don't know what's best for you," it'll have that effect. Guessing that's how you feel as well when you see those older folks talking Hilary on your Facebook thingy. There are vocal Bernie supporters here. Perhaps you just don't read the thread enough or just plain missed the post.

Nah, I get it. I hate that "MLK" shit too and I always correct them on that.

Well yeah, Older Black voters are going to lean Hillary because they liked the clinton's despite what things they have done against them. They aren't going to do the research because well they either work too much or already have their minds set. Tbh this election matters more to younger voter(aka Not Slayven) because its gonna directly affect them so they are more concerned about the nuances.

A lot of Bernie's supporters have been really stupid with the way they try to sell their candidate. Especially on gaf, saying that Bernie is best for us because of either very flimsy reasoning or just thinking they know what's best for us. Personally I dislike cults of personality around people because they start to worship the idea of a person than what is actually shown.

Well reasoned and I completely agree. I think a lot of fellow Bernie supporters are cult like. I try to not be in that view. Hell, I don't agree with on some things. But he's the candidate I think us young people need.

Dig up a few threads from 08, and you'll find a similar level of disdain, especially when she basically refused to concede even though it was mathematically impossible for her to win. A lot of Hilary supporters said they'd vote McCain etc. Most of that changed once Sarah Palin opened her mouth and Tina Fey followed-up.

But jumping forward to now, a lot of the Bernie posts are flat out insane. The thread in OT has eugenics talk as well as batshit stuff.

I have friends that support Bernie without reverting to any of those arguments. It's entirely possible to find great discourse about politics, but when people don't even read links, or post diet racism or full strength wild turkey race bait garbage, it's pretty easy to dismiss the entire group when half are posting shit you find on storm front.

I don't really post that much in general, but the race and politics threads bring out a lot of fuckery. Mix them? Asking for it.

Eugenics????

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
I love your username. Great thread by the way. Thanks for fighting the good fight.

Eugenics????

Yes. There's a link on the previous page, but it's in the SC primary thread. "Black people were bred like animals and traits like intelligence were weeded out", and other stuff.

So when the cult of personality start leaping to that, no real conversation to be had, because it's not about their candidate really. Their ideology has to be tilted a particular way already for some shit like that to come out.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
What thread? What fight?
Sorry, that may have come across sarcastic when I meant it genuinely.

Thread: Post traumatic Slave Syndrome / Dr Joy deGruy Leary thread. And fight: bringing up an unpopular topic (in here) so that it could be discussed. I'm not a huge Hilary supporter, but like Gordon I'll vote for the Dem candidate. It's too important not too.

Thank goodness the majority of the Bernie supporters I run with are black so I don't have to deal with this irl. White people will always do something to make you regret hanging with them and let out some racist garbage even if you thought they were good people. So that's not surprising.

I canvassed for a Proposition last year, and they treated me as if the only reason I had any reason being there was because I represented "intersections of the voting public". Even the supporters just treated me like a blip to get votes rather than as a person.

So when I see old black votes proud of that "black vote" shit, it makes my black blood boil.

Sorry, that may have come across sarcastic when I meant it genuinely.

Thread: Post traumatic Slave Syndrome / Dr Joy deGruy Leary thread. And fight: bringing up an unpopular topic (in here) so that it could be discussed. I'm not a huge Hilary supporter, but like Gordon I'll vote for the Dem candidate. It's too important not too.

Oh. I didn't mean to imply that. I just didn't know what you were referring to.

Crocodile

A) I don't think most people who support Hilary, at least on this thread/board, are ignorant of her past transgressions. Rather they still support her in spite of those transgressions because they still think she is the better candidate. (BTW, she didn't start the birther shit, it was some of her supporters in past years)

B) "Berniebro" obviously refers to a vocal minority of his supporters but its still a consistent pattern of activity that enough people across different venues noticed enough that they felt the need to speak up about it. Same way "Hillaryis44" came up frequently enough that its something still remembered 8 years later. Do we really need to put #notallBerniesupporters in front of every post?

C) I don't think its problematic if a woman might favor Hilary because they think her life experiences as a woman make her a better advocate for the issues of women (or because she would be inspirational) and they agree with her positions or don't see a big enough difference between her and Sanders policy-wise. If people are shaming other people solely on that axis then that's an issue. I'm sorry if your Facebook friends are giving you grief Cindi - that's not cool.

RedSwirl

Y'all know about this new African American history museum going up in DC? I just saw a 60 Minutes segment on it. They're gonna exhibit stuff like Nate Turner's bible, Emitt Till's original casket, a restored Tuskegee plane, etc. Apparently Congress signed over the budget for this museum in like 1928 but they just now got around to building it.

You had some people in that primary caucus thread literally saying that black people are too stupid to vote for the right candidate because Sanders lost in SC, and those posters are sill here. I wasn't seeing posts like that from Clinton supporters when Clinton lost in other areas, but if there were I would be just as acidic toward those. I have seen posts saying that not supporting Clinton is sexist and rolled my eyes at those as well. Clinton is not without spot but ultimately it comes down to supporting who you feel will be able to get things done. Someone else said it before, but for a lot of people it comes down to choosing the lesser of two evils.

Y'all know about this new African American history museum going up in DC? I just saw a 60 Minutes segment on it. They're gonna exhibit stuff like Nate Turner's bible, Emitt Till's original casket, a restored Tuskegee plane, etc. Apparently Congress signed over the budget for this museum in like 1928 but they just now got around to building it.
I was so sad to leave before it was finished when I moved 2 years ago. It'll be the first place I visit as soon as I move back..hopefully very very soon.
You had some people in that primary caucus thread literally saying that black people are too stupid to vote for the right candidate because Sanders lost in SC, and those posters are sill here. I wasn't seeing posts like that from Clinton supporters when Clinton lost in other areas, but if there were I would be just as acidic toward those. I have seen posts saying that not supporting Clinton is sexist and rolled my eyes at those as well. Clinton is not without spot but ultimately it comes down to supporting who you feel will be able to get things done. Someone else said it before, but for a lot of people it comes down to choosing the lesser of two evils.
That one asshole got banned, at least..

Top Bottom