• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT14| Ruthless: The So Well Spoken Story

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm re-watching Man of Steel and I never actually realized how upsetting the movie is. Forget all the plot elements people don't like. Forget the destruction. I'm a half hour into this movie and I feel like I've been assaulted. It's like I'm watching a nightmare, just from scenes like young Clark having his senses assaulted and hiding in the school closet. I think a big part of it is that the movie is so muted, blown out, and occasionally blurry that it ends up having a dream-like quality, but the kind of dream where if you think something bad will happen suddenly it does. I've watched Dario Argento horror movies that felt more pleasant to look at.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Can we mention that Batman is a billionare who thought the best way to save his city from being shitty was to dress up as a bat and beat people up? Not help with the economoy and poverty and all that shit, no dress up as a fucking bat and beat niggas up.

This is why my favorite versions of Batman all have Bruce Wayne as a philanthropist and someone who publicly cares about Gotham, rather than just a mask he uses to pretend to be a playboy.

I see you are true dick fan cause you know the other time.

image.php
I don't recall.....

Just watched Winter Soldier to cleanse my palate.

Should watch World's Finest......

But I think Bucky vs Cap did it for me.

Edit: Actually if I ever get my hands on a Nightwing movie or Series I'm having Jason be in it, that relationship isn't explored enough.

Johndoey

Banned
Just watched Winter Soldier to cleanse my palate.

Should watch World's Finest......

But I think Bucky vs Cap did it for me.

Edit: Actually if I ever get my hands on a Nightwing movie or Series I'm having Jason be in it, that relationship isn't explored enough.
Totally they have this cool dynamic with Dick as this unattainable ideal for Jason and they barely ever get paired. It's a shame.

One thing I will day for the reboot is it let them discard some baggage and let Todd be an actual character.

Totally they have this cool dynamic with Dick as this unattainable ideal for Jason and they barely ever get paired. It's a shame.

Yeah, I think the comics were trying to do something with it when they tried to kill Dick off and ended up turning Jason into a slime monster(whoever let that slide was stupid.)

But I think having Jason turn up during his run in Bludhaven would be sick if Jason and Blockbuster worked together for a spell.

ReiGun

Saw Clark and Bruce's Bizarre Adventure.

I liked it. Not gonna say I don't get the hate because I do; it's a mess. The editing and pacing stop it from achieving greatness more than anything. But...it was a fun mess. I had fun watching it.

Slayven

Saw Clark and Bruce's Bizarre Adventure.

I liked it. Not gonna say I don't get the hate because I do; it's a mess. The editing and pacing stop it from achieving greatness more than anything. But...it was a fun mess. I had fun watching it.

Thoughts on Batflack and Micheal Cera Lex?

Johndoey

Banned
Dreadlocks Joker is best Joker.

Also "The Breakout" and "Artifacts" are pretty good off the top of my head.

"Clayfaces" is fun, "A matter of Family", " The Icy Depths", Ultimate Criminal Mastermind is good. "RPM", " Meltdown".

The Adder

Banned
??

I assume you two are arguing over no man's land. I'm all for suspension of disbelief, but something like that would be compared with Katrina. And if Batman was responsible for perpetuating it so that he and his could salvage his kingdom when really they needed to evac as many civilians as possible..then he was wrong.

He might have been right for comic book reasons, but he was wrong, if even one person's life was put in danger by his stubbornness. Makes his 'do not kill' ethos kind of convenient.

No, it wasn't comparable to Katrina. It wasn't just a natural disaster. Gotham was cordoned off and separated from the US. People were stationed on the outskirts of the city to kill any escapees. Anyone who managed to get out alive after the grace period would be treated like an illegal immigrants and deported back. There was almost no civil infrastructure, but the GCPD was trying to claw its way back into control against the various other factions.

Superman wasn't there to evac anyone. He didn't offer to do so, he didn't intend to do so, and he couldn't do so not only because those people would be sent right back, but because he'd be violating America's sovereignty if he did so, which he doesn't do.

What he wanted to do was fly in and "fix" everything. Because he always thinks he can fix everything. But like I said, what would happen, as far as anyone in universe knew at the time was that:

Superman would come in, hook up the power, maybe catch some crooks, maybe drop some food off. Then leave.

Then the REAL criminals would come out in force and start taking the food and resources for themselves.

The infrastructure would have no one who could maintain it, because those people left when they had the chance, so it would start crumbling again.

And they would call Superman.

And he would "fix" things again.

And the same shit would happen.

And eventually he wouldn't be around to deal with the problem.

And Gotham would be fucked, or they'd fix it themselves.

---

What I'm saying is that Gotham, during No Man's Land, was not an American city that had suffered a natural disaster

IT WAS A 3RD WORLD COUNTRY

So tell me, how successful has Superman been in fixing 3rd world countries.

No, fuck that. Let's leave comic book logic

HOW OFTEN DOES A GLOBAL SUPER POWER INTERVENE IN A 3RD WORLD COUNTRY AND SUCCESSFULLY "FIX" THEIR PROBLEMS?

That was the reality of No Man's land. That was Batman's point. The only thing Superman's efforts would do, ultimately, is supply the warlords and leave the people of the city unable to cope.

So instead, he told him how he could be ACTUALLY useful. By campaigning for real, long term aid (in this case re-integrating Gotham back into the US).

ReiGun

Thoughts on Batflack and Micheal Cera Lex?

Batfleck was the stand out role, I thought. He gave Bruce Wayne the right amount of charm, intensity, and pathos. I always felt the fears about him were unfounded. Batman is not a difficult character to write or portray; Affleck has more than enough talent to play the role.

Any problems I had with Eisenberg boil down to "not muh Lex." I think Jesse is a good actor who played the role the way they wanted him to play it well. It was just very different from the Lex I'm used to, which turned me off a bit. But again, I can't say I didn't enjoy him.

Slayven

Slayven, which episodes of The Batman should I watch?

Dreadlocks Joker is best Joker.

Also "The Breakout" and "Artifacts" are pretty good off the top of my head.

"Clayfaces" is fun, "A matter of Family", " The Icy Depths", Ultimate Criminal Mastermind is good. "RPM", " Meltdown".

Wow that is a throw back. I just remember the loving the epsiodes with Ragdoll. Just don't believe the haters, it started out ok and really grew to be great. And yes Dreadlocks Joker worked way better than he should have. Nice changed to see a Joker that could physically keep up with Batman

The Batman was really good for what it was. Favorite episode was the one where Batgirl and Robin get stuck at GCPD building and have to figure out stuff on their own.

Village

The quantam break trailer has a good nirvana cover in i

But Dick does have a dirty side. That shit he did to Oracle was JC level.

Also he's just kind of a-hole? Though I suppose that comes with the territory being raised by a man who communicates through grunts and ramblings about the importance of cherishing love ones.

No bat kid ever stays on one side, Jay even went all strait up anti hero, which is weird because of the gun thing.

Side note Beware the Batman got royally fucked

As along as netflix gimmie yj season 3 imma be ok.

Also adult swim, yo I see you getting flcl , thats cool. But why ain't you ask em for more ghost in the shell tho?

Slayven

Idk imo it tried to be too different for the sake of being different.

I am talkling about switching it's timeslot every 5 minutes.

I thought ti was pretty good especially for using Batman's more obscure villains instead of retreading the same shit for the 212155th time

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
What he wanted to do was fly in and "fix" everything. Because he always thinks he can fix everything. But like I said, what would happen, as far as anyone in universe knew at the time was that:

Superman would come in, hook up the power, maybe catch some crooks, maybe drop some food off. Then leave.

Then the REAL criminals would come out in force and start taking the food and resources for themselves.

The infrastructure would have no one who could maintain it, because those people left when they had the chance, so it would start crumbling again.

And they would call Superman.

And he would "fix" things again.

And the same shit would happen.

And eventually he wouldn't be around to deal with the problem.

And Gotham would be fucked, or they'd fix it themselves.

this is gotham at its core always though. its always borderline falling off the edge.

Johndoey

Banned
I'll just say Batman vs Dracula is actually pretty decent.

Also Green Lantern Animated Series is good shit. Just silly and fun, except for the season one finale.

Also he's just kind of a-hole? Though I suppose that comes with the territory being raised by a man who communicates through grunts and ramblings about the importance of cherishing love ones.

No bat kid ever stays on one side, Jay even went all strait up anti hero, which is weird because of the gun thing.

Only issues Dick has is his casual infidelity, his daddy issues and of course his childhood trauma.

Tim doesn't seem to run any issues due to his casual misuse.

Jason and Damien are the only true assholes and they've developed waay beyond that.

I wounder how a true Young Justice series would have done instead of Grimdark all according to the Light bullshit?

Plot point got Decimated in Season 2...

Johndoey

Banned
With Tim they sorta imply he's seriously unbalanced but on the dl. Like one of the best parts of Red Robin was early on when everyone effectively just went "well shit he finally lost it."

The Adder

Banned
Only issues Dick has is his casual infidelity, his daddy issues and of course his childhood trauma.

Tim doesn't seem to run any issues due to his casual misuse.

Tim's only issue is that when he gives his word, he means it. And only exactly that.

"You're my friends and I would never make plans for how to take you down. And by that I mean you, my friends, specifically."

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
I'll tell you who gotham needs

And street fighter 5, among other things.

they already have a bunch of dudes that break out of prison when they want. they dont need another

Usually it has an infrastructure in place. It's a shithole American city, but like I said, in No Man's Land it was a full on 3rd world country.

i get that, but at it its core, gotham is fucked. it always seems to be a snapping twig away from falling into a no mans land scenario most of the time

I wounder how a true Young Justice series would have done instead of Grimdark all according to the Light bullshit?

like a better version of teen titans go. and if they ate that shit up, they would have devoured yj like crab legs at a buffet

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom