• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT14| Ruthless: The So Well Spoken Story

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Adder

Banned
well like I said, we are all entitled to our opinions, but all that setup and justification and exposition and circumstance just to sell that story is bending over backwards. Just to set up the unlikely situation of an American city full of people being struck off and as you say 'declared a 3rd world country'.

And suddenly Superman is not only helpless, but a dick, because the only thing that can save Gotham is the invisible hand of the free market and public opinion.

All these freak unlikely setups just so dark and gritty superhero can have a darker and grittier city to suffer just like him, so both of them can go to the edge and all that blah blah. I mean, I loved the stories, but no, politics and circumstances and technicalities are not going to give us a no-man's land. Not without the hand of God aka writers and editor directives.

Could not possibly roll my eyes harder at your nonsense, akira. What the fuck does capitalism have to do with anything? Why the fuck are you now complaining about the very conceit of the story when your original complaint was about the behavior of characters IN the story.

I know why. It's because you ran your mouth without actually remembering what happened in the actual story so you could hop on the "I'm a cool comic fan and hate Batman like Slay does" train but when someone comes along who puts some time and effort into his LitCrit you don't have a relevant word to say. So you start bitching about some shit that has nothing to do with anything and complaining about the verisimilitude of a comic book plotline instead of what was actually being discussed, the validity, or lack thereof, of the actions of the characters within.

I have all the time in the world to spend going back and forth on literary analysis or philosophical debate. I like doing it. Be it about comic books, novels, or more academically respected works. I find it stimulating and enlightening. What I don't have time for is the intellectually dishonest ramblings of a poster who doesn't want to bother reading or responding to any actual debate presented to them. Only to post drawn out screeds against a straw man invented in their heads. Because this isn't the first time you've pulled this shit with me, akira.

TL;DR - Go somewhere and sit down. The adults are talking.

Anyway, sort of unrelated, but the okcupid thread reminded me. Maybe this is a light skinned black guy thing, or a black guy in a big city using online dating thing, but I've noticed I get a strange amount of attention from asian girls. Not a ton, but waay more than statistics would have me believe I should be. On okc I don't message them more often, and on tinder I pretty much swipe everyone and sort out the matches.

And then, of the ones I do connect with, I find that their exes were black. I don't know if I'm just their "type" or something, maybe I'm just overthinking things. Probably. I mean, attention from hot girls is awesome regardless of their race, but still...

I'm not light skin, but it happens to me in NYC.

andthebeatgoeson

Visits to NYC always fill me with hope for a post racial society. Couple combinations you never even thought of, in regular ass America.

And they look cute together. I would walk around and say, 'sure, YNOT?'

Edit: Y u have to slap him that way?

We supposed to be brothers!

Now that I said that line, I'll be listening to mos def in the gym today.

As much as I didn't necessarily like No Man's Land, gotta side with Adder. Mostly because his argument is a lot like my own for Avengers/NewAvengers, Time Runs Out, and Secret Wars.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
Well yeah the series boiled his powers down to "weak Superman" and he got obsolete fast. They made my man background romance character.

Edit: Shit where is my Hitman series. Give me that instead of Preacher.

Hopefully if they introduce hitman they can do it without opening the bloodlines pandoras box. If superboy getting bodies bothered people, the whole league getting styled on by 6 aliens is gonna have people feeling certain ways

Slayven

Hahaha, and thus the war begins.

If it makes ya feel better, I would be arguing it a very different way.

I will say this, they would have been better off just not having that scene. It was poorly done for the message it was trying to convey, as fucked up as that message might be

Malyse

hey

what's a good MMO?

Don't really have enough experience to know what constitutes a good MMO, but Final Fantasy XIV is pretty cool.
This
For story oriented stuff, The Secret World.

For gameplay? The hell should I know, most MMO gameplay sucks.
and this
Combat system wise...Black Desert Online is the truth. It's really hard to go back to that WoW/FFXIV style of combat.
and this, plus Vindicutus and Phantasy Star Online 2. First one is buy plus sub, next two are buy to play, last two are free to play.

Village

Ff14 is rad as shit

The narrative is interesting, and compelling. Though i have some character design questions. With folks like alphinaud. Homoie and his sister wearing pants... With holes, that are also like go go boot pumps.

Also you can be a dragoon, and be a dragon person.

Slam dunking on fools.

The Adder

Banned
I want to read a fantasy novel wherein an ancient evil is corrupting the land and it's people... but in doing so it must redeem all of the evil forces of the world. It does this because it has realised that good has the right idea. Numerous dedicated weaker forces defending their very way of life is far more useful than a handful of incredibly powerful beings trying to enforce their will upon the rest of the world.

I actually had no problem with that.
Her name is Martha in the comics too and if there's absolutely anything that would stop a bloodthirsty Batman it's parent death. We make jokes about Batman being the "my parents are deeeaaaad!" guy all the time but there really is something there.
I'm aware. I still laughed hard. Real hard. Instant turnaround from dude just from that..geezuz. Enjoyed his character right up to that moment.

Johndoey

Banned
Had a long talk with the right person :) Feeling good about myself.
I'm glad.

I actually had no problem with that.
Her name is Martha in the comics too and if there's absolutely anything that would stop a bloodthirsty Batman it's parent death. We make jokes about Batman being the "my parents are deeeaaaad!" guy all the time but there really is something there.
My issue is they're instantly good friends after that, like no trace of lingering hostility.

zeemumu

I'm aware. I still laughed hard. Real hard. Instant turnaround from dude just from that..geezuz. Enjoyed his character right up to that moment.

There's a theory going around that
this Batman actually killed Joker after he killed Robin and that's why he's so bloodthirsty.

What really pissed me off was Lois and her little side mission.

Were they actually trying to frame Superman for that desert village massacre by implying that he SHOT people with those special bullets? And her endgame resulted in essentially nothing but her getting kidnapped. Then she throws this extremely powerful spear into a pond because that's the safest place clearly, only to have to retrieve it again and almost dying while doing so, forcing Superman to go get it, and even though he survived breathing in Kryptonite gas several times and having the spear that close to his face he's basically almost dead when he resurfaces.

Also

What the hell was Lex going to do after Doomsday killed Superman? It's not like Doomsday obeyed him or anything. The first thing he tries to do is kill him. Doomsday was about to destroy everything and Lex didn't have Kryptonite anymore.

The Adder

Banned
this Batman actually killed Joker after he killed Robin and that's why he's so bloodthirsty.

Were they actually trying to frame Superman for that desert village massacre by implying that he SHOT people with those special bullets? And her endgame resulted in essentially nothing but her getting kidnapped. Then she throws this extremely powerful spear into a pond because that's the safest place clearly, only to have to retrieve it again and almost dying while doing so, forcing Superman to go get it, and even though he survived breathing in Kryptonite gas several times and having the spear that close to his face he's basically almost dead when he resurfaces.

Also

What the hell was Lex going to do after Doomsday killed Superman? It's not like Doomsday obeyed him or anything. The first thing he tries to do is kill him. Doomsday was about to destroy everything and Lex didn't have Kryptonite anymore.

He did what Lex always does when both his plan and contingency plan blow up in his face. He completely lost his shit and went with plan "fuck everything but most especially you, Superman!"

Also

If the Joker killed Robin in this bizarre universe, how the FUCK is he still alive when this Batman is killing goons left and right? lol.

Lois was one of the most frustrating characters in history. If people hate that one chick from DD, they must want to set Lois ablaze! The Superman shooting people shit made my jaw drop. Who wrote this nonsense? The spear scene was fine..until, for NO REASON, she says "Nope. Better get it back!" which was just another damsel in distress mechanic. Come on.

Lex? Whatever. Everything about that character was booty juice..

zeemumu

If the Joker killed Robin in this bizarre universe, how the FUCK is he still alive when this Batman is killing goons left and right? lol.

It's not that bizarre.
It's what happened to Jason Todd, more or less.

Lois was one of the most frustrating characters in history. If people hate that one chick from DD, they must want to set Lois ablaze! The Superman shooting people shit made my jaw drop. Who wrote this nonsense? The spear scene was fine..until, for NO REASON, she says "Nope. Better get it back!" which was just another damsel in distress mechanic. Come on.

I'm not a fan of Karen so yeah that's an accurate statement.

Also, why did they feel the need to attempt to set up
Injustice and Legacy and Flash's time travel shenanigans in a damn dream sequence?

Edit: Damn you faulty spoiler tags. I mean that part was in the trailer so it's technically not a spoiler but still.

Johndoey

Banned

Lex? Whatever. Everything about that character was booty juice..
One of the more persistent theories is the Joker we're getting is Jason Todd
which makes no sense.

It's not that bizarre.
It's what happened to Jason Todd, more or less.

I'm not a fan of Karen so yeah that's an accurate statement.

Also, why did they feel the need to attempt to set up
Injustice and Legacy and Flash's time travel shenanigans in a damn dream sequence?

Edit: Damn you faulty spoiler tags. I mean that part was in the trailer so it's technically not a spoiler but still.

Like I said before. Lots of good ideas. Poor delivery. Poor editing. Lots of the story,
including that hilarious email to Diana with an Aquaman who looks like he's holding his breath, and that horribly cheesedick Cyborg acting
, should have just been cut/put on YouTube..

zeemumu

Like I said before. Lots of good ideas. Poor delivery. Poor editing. Lots of the story,
including that hilarious email to Diana with an Aquaman who looks like he's holding his breath, and that horribly cheesedick Cyborg acting

You know what would have been great? The friend from Ant-Man instead.

"I got a guy who swims, a guy who flies, and a guy dressed like a bat."

All these black bars in here, like struggle rappers trying to spit a hot 16.

Take it to the spoiler thread or something.
But It's tagged? And I'm speaking to folks in here that aren't there? Don't click, Slick..

You know what would have been great? The friend from Ant-Man instead.

"I got a guy who swims, a guy who flies, and a guy dressed like a bat."
lol..Honestly? Yeah. That would have been better. The way they did it looked thrown together quickly..
Flash at store looked fine.

jmood88

I thought that people were just exaggerating how bad the Aquaman scene is but I just saw the clip someone recorded and it's hilariously bad.

zeemumu

Yooo lol..it got audible giggles in the theater.

It just went on too long. If it had just been
glowing eyes in darkness then cut to other submarine footage as first submarine explodes and completely cut out that whole "Aquaman examines camera" portion, it would've been fine.

shingi70

Banned
It's weird because that Aquaman Scene could have been so good. After the eyes opened in the shadow the trident should have flown at camera one, and then camera two should have gotten the sonic boom. The Linger on Momoa made it look goofy. Funnily enough the women I was with liked that cameo the most, but that's mainly because of the beefcake.

I actually really liked the Cyborg cameo. It was fucked in the Frankenstein sort of way and the Motherbox was sweet looking. I'm wondering how Victor got to the state he is in that clip.

Bubba T

This site keeps advertising the CPA exam review I'm going to have to take next year. I think the sites telling me I should be studying right now.

zeemumu

On top of that, a group of teenagers abused the power of America and caused the theater to clap at random moments. It took half an hour for the rest of the theater to realize that they were being played.

shingi70

Banned
The entire concept of the scene is bad especially in the middle of the movie.

The Scene would have made more sense if
there had been any previous indication that Lexcorp had been looking into Meta Humans eariler in the story. Let's say if the wheelchair dude had been Metallo instead of just a bomber. You could have still seeded in Doomsday for a future movie had roughly the same ending just with big Bioorganic robot instead of Doomsday.

zeemumu

The Scene would have made more sense if
there had been any previous indication that Lexcorp had been looking into Meta Humans eariler in the story. Let's say if the wheelchair dude had been Metallo instead of just a bomber. You could have still seeded in Doomsday for a future movie had roughly the same ending just with big Bioorganic robot instead of Doomsday.

When Bruce pulled him out of the wreckage with fuck ed up legs and called him Wally I got worried that this was gonna be Flash's origin

Also

That theory is a bit flawed. If he did that to Joker, he would've branded Lex.

One of the more persistent theories is the Joker we're getting is Jason Todd
which makes no sense.

It makes sense in a way. There was one other that I saw that had Dick getting killed and Todd being driven nuts; which also isn't nuts, considering what happened in BB:ROTJ. I think he's just the Joker, period, and he's in murder mode more than the past--like "I'm going to kill everyone in this room" status vs laughing fish.

The motherbox looked amazing though. Insane alien tech.

It's weird because that Aquaman Scene could have been so good. After the eyes opened in the shadow the trident should have flown at camera one, and then camera two should have gotten the sonic boom. The Linger on Momoa made it look goofy. Funnily enough the women I was with liked that cameo the most, but that's mainly because of the beefcake.

I actually really liked the Cyborg cameo. It was fucked in the Frankenstein sort of way and the Motherbox was sweet looking. I'm wondering how Victor got to the state he is in that clip.

That's pretty in-line with his origin. I also thought casting Miles Dyson repairing his son via machines was a nice touch.

Man, I need to finish The Batman. I also need to finish Young Justice, but I never went back after what they did to the Joker. I did really like Robin's laugh to scare criminals in that, even if he stole it from the Shadow.

YJ is good, the second season is better than the first, but it does get repetitive, meta-story wise.

Well the place IS literally cursed and has at least 3 secret societies/cults based in it.

People tend to forget that Gotham was a fucked-up place before Batman. It just evolved.

I will never get over Mongol sonning Connor in YJ.

Aqualad is best, though. Savage even gave him his props.

DCMU Lex is based off Ellen Page

So Lex really is The Last Of Us.

Okay...seeing the pic of Telly Savalas does make me believe the "Lex isn't black" theory. But I'm still holding onto the "BTAS Two Face is black" theory. I don't care if his VA is Bull from Night Court.

That's pretty in-line with his origin. I also thought casting Miles Dyson repairing his son via machines was a nice touch.

Not just Miles "I invented Skynet" Dyson. He's also Poppa Pope. You just /know/ Vic got that "gotta be twice as good" speech.

RedSwirl

Still trying to figure out how
Lex knew who Bats and Supes were. I get that he thinks meta humans are dangerous, and his "meta human theory" at the beginning was reason enough to assume he's been keeping tabs.

Never realized before this that Clark's mom and Bruce's mom had the same name. They ever point that out in the comics?

akira28

Could not possibly roll my eyes harder at your nonsense, akira. What the fuck does capitalism have to do with anything? Why the fuck are you now complaining about the very conceit of the story when your original complaint was about the behavior of characters IN the story.

I know why. It's because you ran your mouth without actually remembering what happened in the actual story so you could hop on the "I'm a cool comic fan and hate Batman like Slay does" train but when someone comes along who puts some time and effort into his LitCrit you don't have a relevant word to say. So you start bitching about some shit that has nothing to do with anything and complaining about the verisimilitude of a comic book plotline instead of what was actually being discussed, the validity, or lack thereof, of the actions of the characters within.

I have all the time in the world to spend going back and forth on literary analysis or philosophical debate. I like doing it. Be it about comic books, novels, or more academically respected works. I find it stimulating and enlightening. What I don't have time for is the intellectually dishonest ramblings of a poster who doesn't want to bother reading or responding to any actual debate presented to them. Only to post drawn out screeds against a straw man invented in their heads. Because this isn't the first time you've pulled this shit with me, akira.

TL;DR - Go somewhere and sit down. The adults are talking.

word? cool.

for the record I'm a Batman fan, probably buy all of the books Batman is in. I was just having fun, but if you feel some kind of way, I'll just have to remember not to discuss comics with you in the future. But since I'm curious and you do like pulling up old shit, why don't you bring up the last time I "pulled this shit" and we will handle it right there.

but we're not done. I can't complain about how they wrote bruce, and also how the set up the entire premise? Why can't I? Its valid criticism. Because you object?

What does capitalism have to do with anything? The invisible hand metaphor, sir. Do I have to explain the negative connotations and satirical points that follow along with it? I can. if you really need me to. Did I really forget anything when all I have to do if my memory is unclear is hit up comic wikias and google?

Oh I did it all so I could be like Slayven. You ever come at me wrong like this again, you better do it in PM.

Because the only person you've embarrassed is yourself.

So Lex really is The Last Of Us.

Okay...seeing the pic of Telly Savalas does make me believe the "Lex isn't black" theory. But I'm still holding onto the "BTAS Two Face is black" theory. I don't care if his VA is Bull from Night Court.
Kratos is black is my favorite argument to have. Drives some people nuts for whatever reason, even when they aren't fans of the character lol..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom