• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT14| Ruthless: The So Well Spoken Story

Status
Not open for further replies.
Southside

hNqGlF4.png

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3wuSQpiWtdU

crtpA0k.gif

D i Z

The best thing to come out of this day long CNN coverage of the passing (besides no election bs for an entire day) was their discussion of how Prince lost his name, and how he got it back.
That's some evil shit to do to a person. To take not just their work, but their name as well, and lock away all that they had worked for their entire life.

akira28

I can't speak for devo, but I think she would know its all (bad) jokes. Not that she wouldn't shade the fuck out of the source for deserved reasons, but still.

Dev was one of our more active members some years back. Outspoken feminist social justice warrior who dared hang out in 'the black thread' when she was a 'white girl', so you know she was targeted by the worst of the internet that gaf can sometimes tend to attract. I think she took an extended break because idiots kept showing up to have shootouts with her, plus off of gaf, people tried harassing her personally. And some other reasons. So yes, privacy is often the best policy in a lot of respects.

edit: come back Shane.

I can't speak for devo, but I think she would know its all (bad) jokes. Not that she wouldn't shade the fuck out of the source for deserved reasons, but still.

Dev was one of our more active members some years back. Outspoken feminist social justice warrior who dared hang out in 'the black thread' when she was a 'white girl', so you know she was targeted by the worst of the internet that gaf can sometimes tend to attract. I think she took an extended break because idiots kept showing up to have shootouts with her, plus off of gaf, people tried harassing her personally. And some other reasons. So yes, privacy is often the best policy in a lot of respects.

And you guys still post pics in this thread after that?

royalan

A gaffer found me off-GAF well before I'd ever posted a picture.

When you've been an active poster on GAF (or any forum, really) for a while, you'd be surprised by how much of your personal life you unintentionally give away if someone is willing to go through your history and string together enough of your posts.

It wasn't pics that made her a target. It was daring to be a feminist on the internet. She was VERY outspoken and even had people making burner accounts just to try and get a snide comment in. I don't blame her one bit for quitting GAF after seeing a fraction of the unwarranted hate she got.

So before I toss my mind into the dark void, I'll leave y'all with a little thing that gave me a chuckle.

Was speaking with my niece for a couple of hours (a thing that has never happened), and we had the funniest exchange. She started talking about who knows what, and mentioned her ex husband. That's not strange at all. But, she said "this nigga" and practically froze..then started yelling uncomfortably about how she was sorry.

As you could imagine, my response was straight laughter. Little Hope happens to be half white and it sticks out. Unfortunately, HER MOTHER AND SIBLINGS go out of their way to remind her and anyone around that she's white, while ignoring that she's more than that. It was the strangest thing that I've experienced in a minute. A black person who thought saying "Nigga" to a family member might come off racist, because their family shits on them.

Yup. That's why I don't talk to people in my family. That kid is all types of fucked up.

tumblr_lw4qkcK04n1qcyj2r.gif

Africanus

The only actor I almost got to talk to was Frank Grillo, but that was because he came up and acknowledged us. Otherwise, there were about 200 other extras on the set at any given time (500-600 overall), so getting any of the big stars to even notice you for more than a second was pretty much impossible. Chris Evans would always head back to his tent as soon as his scenes were done, but he seemed chill. Scarlett Johanssen wasn't trying to fuck with the extras even a little bit, lmao. Anthony Mackie was also there, but they always had him up on the roof of a building or suspended on wires, so you couldn't really hang around him too much.

Overall, it was an awesome experience. The days were long (I was waking up at 5 a.m., leaving the set at 7:30 p.m.) and the weather was pretty rough (we had multiple extras dropping from heatstroke), meaning filming wasn't always a cakewalk, but it was still a fun time. And it's a cool feeling knowing you have inside knowledge about some shit millions of people are speculating about. If you ever have the opportunity to apply for a part on a movie like this, I'd highly recommend taking it.

It's like Deja Vu reading this. Did you do something similar before?

Africanus

TheBlackMarvel nailed it. I told the story when I introduced myself to BCT. Figured typing it up again was easier than digging back through my post history and quoting it.

The photo's the only new thing.

Ahh okay, I thought I was being weird.
Really cool experience!

DizzyCrow

@jWILL253
@MorisSlaent
@barbershoptrey
@[redacted]
@[redacted]
@Brah_Of_Steel
@spindashing
@GotEmRunning
@MW_PanteraNera
@onemic
@madsanchez09
@tyrantraveomega
@ProfessorBeef
@todesignconquer
@ErrareAngelus
@GetOffMyLawn53
@gravitygauntlet
@BHZ_Mayor
@AyaisMUsikWhore
@Sunflower4000
@Omichilin Reset my account so I don't have any tweets and follow like 20 people so looks like a bot but I'd be down for a chat

JLynn

@jWILL253
@MorisSlaent
@barbershoptrey
@[redacted]
@[redacted]
@Brah_Of_Steel
@spindashing
@GotEmRunning
@MW_PanteraNera
@onemic
@madsanchez09