• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT14| Ruthless: The So Well Spoken Story

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cgp0DmeUcAABTfF.jpg

Even The Queen knows you gotta keep that bag away from Obama! ;)

Lol nobody wants to stand with Prince Phillip.

I feel like the only black person who wasn't a fan of Prince. I didn't grow up with his music at all. I know Little Red Corvette, When Doves Cry, and Purple Rain but I never really found his music enticing enough to want to ever hear more of it. All of these people are mourning him and I just can't appreciate him beyond his technical guitar playing skills. People say he was kind of like David Bowie in that his music resonated with the weird kids, except in this case, for outcast black people mostly, but I never really got that vibe from him. I've tried listening to Purple Rain and his self titled so many times, even before his death, to try to understand his appeal and I just don't get it, and that makes me sad.

To be honest, my most cherished Prince memory barely had to do with me. One time we had to get flowers from a flower shop for an event at my church. I volunteered because I love the smell of flower shops. The piano player (who is gay) rode along with me. I turned on the radio and Little Red Corvette was playing, so we listened. I asked him if he was a big fan of Prince, and he tells me that he used to be. "What happened that made you dislike him?", to which he replied in his cute gay accent "Nigga got weird, girl" Every time I listen to Prince now, I hear him say that and just laugh.

Slayven

I feel like the only black person who wasn't a fan of Prince. I didn't grow up with his music at all. I know Little Red Corvette, When Doves Cry, and Purple Rain but I never really found his music enticing enough to want to ever hear more of it. All of these people are mourning him and I just can't appreciate him beyond his technical guitar playing skills. People say he was kind of like David Bowie in that his music resonated with the weird kids, except in this case, for black people mostly, but I never really got that vibe from him. I've tried listening to Purple Rain and his self titled so many times, even before his death, to try to understand his appeal and I just don't get it, and that makes me sad.

Don't feel bad. You don't and shouldn't stan for every famous person.

Kreed

I'm so damn tired of the faux-ignorance people display anytime something related to black people is discussed.

That's because they want to show they are proudly ignorant on a subject because they think it's cool. They don't respect the topic being discussed and want to set off a proudly ignorant beacon to see how many posters jump in to say "Hey, are these people speaking a foreign language to you too?". Despite having multiple abilities to search at their finger tips, they either refuse to use it when seeing the subject or have already used it and still choose to display the ignorance from not knowing the subject at first glance. And they assume that a bunch of ignorant people like them will come to the signal and jump in to confirm their "it's cool to be ignorant on this" status. If the thread was about PS4K coverage, no one is going to come in and go "What's the PS4K?" because they know they would get clowned for multiple pages for being under a rock.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
I feel bad for saying it because people are mourning him, though. Like I'm worried it comes across as insensitive or even "edgy".

It's cool. It gets insensitive when someone goes into a thread for the purpose of saying, "Ya know I didn't think he was all that." That is someone trying to get some attention or nowadays someone who has no self awareness or social skills.

Any suggestions to help me appreciate Prince? I've listened to Purple Rain but have never seen it.

Don't feel bad. You don't and shouldn't stan for every famous person.

I'm not saying I have to. It's mostly because what people describe of Prince sounds up my alley musically, but listening to it never connected with me. It's less about me worshipping an idol, which has little interest to me, and more about appreciating a legendary musician, as a massive musichead.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
Any suggestions to help me appreciate Prince? I've listened to Purple Rain but have never seen it.

I can give you a few albums to listen to -

Prince (1979) Debut album
Lovesexy (1988) Though this is an annoying listen. It was released as one track so you have to listen to it all, couldn't skip track to track. I it has split it up by now.
Batman (1989) - Batdance was a bit of a mess, IMO, but the rest of the album was good
Sign 'O' the Times (1987) - IMO, his best album. Most varied as well. Rock, pop, funk, ballads, soul were all on this one.
Graffiti Bridge (1990) - The soundtrack to a terrible movie. Pretty much a soul/funk celebration.
Parade (1986) - Another soundtrack. A funk album along with some experimental tracks.

In the 90s is when I pretty much checked out. There were some highlights, but I couldn't really sit through an entire album. Interestingly enough some of that stuff resonates more with now than back then.

Aiustis

I'm not saying I have to. It's mostly because what people describe of Prince sounds up my alley musically, but listening to it never connected with me. It's less about me worshipping an idol, which has little interest to me, and more about appreciating a legendary musician, as a massive musichead.

Watch his Muppets sketch.

Muppets

Kreed

I think it would be hard to appreciate his old stuff from the 80s now if you didn't grow up with it. Ex: My parents put me onto Prince, so a lot of my appreciation comes from nostalgia, in addition to being able to listen to new stuff and go "he got that from Prince" or "Timbaland took that sample from Delirious". Maybe try watching the Purple Rain movie?

NOPD saying Will Smith may have fired his gun first. What a twist.

No matter how much the news covers this story, this will never not confuse me.

I think it would be hard to appreciate his old stuff from the 80s now if you didn't grow up with it. Ex: My parents put me onto Prince, so a lot of my appreciation comes from nostalgia, in addition to being able to listen to new stuff and go "he got that from Prince" or "Timbaland took that sample from Delirious". Maybe try watching the Purple Rain movie?

Right? It makes sense. I'm an 85 baby, and people say most of his best output was from the 80's. I saw Batman in theaters and rented it a billion times like any 80's/90's kid but I don't remember the soundtrack at all. I guess I never felt the need to listen to Prince, because if I had funk, I had Rick James, James Brown, Funkadelic, George Clinton, Brothers Johnson, or the Isley Brothers. If I wanted soul, I had Aretha, Marvin Gaye, Sam Cooke, Al Green. If I wanted to dance, I've got Chic, Michael Jackson, Sister Sledge, Evelyn "Champagne" King, and Ohio Players (fuck Fire though, most overplayed song ever). If I wanted empowerment, there was Gil Scott-Heron. When I was learning to deal with my sexuality, there was Erykah Badu and Lauryn Hill.

So it makes sense, that growing up with all this music, and listen to artists directly influenced by Prince like my name sake Janelle Monae, I'm not going to see what's special about him because his innovations had been taken time and time again from people inspired by him that he doesn't feel fresh or even interesting to me.

I was big on MJ growing up. So I understand how people feel about Prince's passing. I'm betting there's plenty of people who feel the same way about MJ as I do about Prince.

I can give you a few albums to listen to -

Prince (1979) Debut album
Lovesexy (1988) Though this is an annoying listen. It was released as one track so you have to listen to it all, couldn't skip track to track. I it has split it up by now.
Batman (1989) - Batdance was a bit of a mess, IMO, but the rest of the album was good
Sign 'O' the Times (1987) - IMO, his best album. Most varied as well. Rock, pop, funk, ballads, soul were all on this one.
Graffiti Bridge (1990) - The soundtrack to a terrible movie. Pretty much a soul/funk celebration.
Parade (1986) - Another soundtrack. A funk album along with some experimental tracks.

In the 90s is when I pretty much checked out. There were some highlights, but I couldn't really sit through an entire album. Interestingly enough some of that stuff resonates more with now than back then.

I'll give Sign O' The Times a listen tonight after work, thanks.

Yo, why the fuck did Birdman go to the Breakfast Club in the first place?

Why?

Because he's a fuccboi manchild with a big ego. He doesn't know any better, his tattoo ink seeped into his brain.

You don't have to like someone's work just because.

True, but I also feel like my opinion comes from a place of ignorance if I'm not even knowledgeable about his other famous albums.

Kreed

Yo, why the fuck did Birdman go to the Breakfast Club in the first place?

Why?

From listening to the full show today, it sounds like the Breakfast Club interviews and Charlamagne's adlibs have started hurting Birdman's business with artists not wanting to sign to Cash Money anymore (LOL if he thought they were hurting him before...) and the Breakfast Club wanted no parts of Birdman unless he came to do an interview (they claim he was calling them before the interview wanting to have a face to face with Charlamagne off camera/etc... and they weren't having it).

All jokes aside, a well done Cash Money movie would be dope if it weren't influenced by anybody a part of it. I'm sure there is some deep shit somewhere in the background.

Shy

Good morning, fine people of the BCT. Have an wonderful day..
Morning.
Morning and to you too
Morning
*waves* Hiya!
G'mornin all.
Morning to you.
Birthday weekend started off with a bang, the new ep of the Read dropped, I dropped $90 in anime blurays, the fianceé strongly hinted she got me the MPP10 oversized Masterpiece Optimus Prime, and Alton Brown dropped a popcorn recipe that looks bangin.

Off to Krogers I go!
Hapy birhtday JLynn
About to go to my first job interview since graduating college, nervous as fuck.
Break a leg Bobby.

Imm0rt4l

Seeing how small Birdman is in that pic, now I see why he's the way he is...

G8YX1Ri.gif

edit: Birdman is 5'11?!
Speaking of birdman, I saw like 2 weeks back that his baby mama got caught up in that tag the sponsor shit.

taking shit's on video to appeal to some alleged (read: fake) rich Saudis cropophiliac sensibilities

A hot gotdamn mess....literally.

Slayven

Speaking of birdman, I saw like 2 weeks back that his baby mama got caught up in that tag the sponsor shit.

taking shit's on video to appeal to some alleged (read: fake) rich Saudis cropophiliac sensibilities

wait what?

I seen the Coli thread

I advise y'all not to look it up

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom