• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT15| - Equine, Please

Status
Not open for further replies.

andthebeatgoeson

"You tell a kid “failure is not an option” and he is going to feel like a failure when he fails. Failing is part of the process. Teach truth."

-@DougBaldwinJr
That shit is hard to absorb. Just heard something on npr. Don't tell your kids they are smart because when they fail, they feel more dejected. Tell them you like how they solved that problem.

Now, as a kid, i was constantly told i was smart. And i feel down a few times during school. And i never did well with it. It seems so intuitive. Make sure your kids feels valuable. And it's hard to shake, as a black man with black kids.

Fuck, that's a mind bender.

Quick question for y'all. I'm at work and I was talking to my supervisor (black woman) and we were talking about goals and having mentors to guide me through my career. I told her I already had a mentor and it was great that I had an older black man to help guide my career. Then she told me that it's a good idea to have multiple mentors for different perspectives. She said that she recommends that I get the complete opposite of a black man,a white woman which would give me a different perspective. So my question is how do y'all feel about that? Is it sound advice? I know she wouldn't steer me in the wrong direction but,it seems weird to me since I would rather have more mentors who look like me.
Sounds advice. For sure.
Fat white fuck next door put up a Blue Live Matter/All Lives Matter yard sign. Incidentally, it's angled so you can't see it from this side…
You know what to do..
Charmed>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>The Wire
leaving_zps7db5d97e.gif~c200

Mizerman

He already playing Summertime in preparation.

Getting ready for Boom! Shake the Room as well.

Quick question for y'all. I'm at work and I was talking to my supervisor (black woman) and we were talking about goals and having mentors to guide me through my career. I told her I already had a mentor and it was great that I had an older black man to help guide my career. Then she told me that it's a good idea to have multiple mentors for different perspectives. She said that she recommends that I get the complete opposite of a black man,a white woman which would give me a different perspective. So my question is how do y'all feel about that? Is it sound advice? I know she wouldn't steer me in the wrong direction but,it seems weird to me since I would rather have more mentors who look like me.

Sounds like good advice. As you say, it doesn't seem like she's trying to pull a "gotcha!" on you.

Hello, Church of the BCT. I'm back from a little jaunt across the border to Niagara Falls. It was so wonderful to walk down streets filled with an international cross section of humanity. Many languages, many colors, a fair amount of saris and hijabs and turbans. Black families clearly from the Motherland. Everyone was just there to watch some water falling over a cliff, and waste money on souvenirs. It was awesome.

And, sigh. Back to Cleveland, temporary home to the hate filled RNC.

I find out that Leslie Jones left Twitter because of hateful racists/sexists/butthurt nostalgists. On the plus side, Milo got banned.

I find out that Melania Trump stole intellectual property from Michelle Obama. And people are scrambling to find someone to blame and to defend a woman who probably didn't even want to get up on stage in the first place.

And I find out that people are actually trying to give props to Umar Johnson for being right once in his life, knowing full well that his correct statements were coated in a creamy shit covering of sexism, homophobia, and transphobia.

Whew.

shingi70

Banned
I remember when notch was playing about how shitty his life was with the divorce and no friends, and people speculated it was the money. Nah dude is just an asshole.

Watching Gods of Egypt tomorrow, the shit we do for love.

Dai101

Banned
Hello, Church of the BCT. I'm back from a little jaunt across the border to Niagara Falls. It was so wonderful to walk down streets filled with an international cross section of humanity. Many languages, many colors, a fair amount of saris and hijabs and turbans. Black families clearly from the Motherland. Everyone was just there to watch some water falling over a cliff, and waste money on souvenirs. It was awesome.

I find out that Leslie Jones left Twitter because of hateful racists/sexists/butthurt nostalgists. On the plus side, Milo got banned.

I find out that Melania Trump stole intellectual property from Michelle Obama. And people are scrambling to find someone to blame and to defend a woman who probably didn't even want to get up on stage in the first place.

And I find out that people are actually trying to give props to Umar Johnson for being right once in his life, knowing full well that his correct statements were coated in a creamy shit covering of sexism, homophobia, and transphobia.

Whew.

Crazy week, huh?

Whew.

Glad you enjoyed your trip. Sorry about the rest of your trip..we here with you tho!!

Mizerman

Whew.

Welcome back. And yeah, things went into crazy-town.

Shy

*rolls eyes and sighs* FFS. And the replies are equally as moronic and tiresome.
Welcome back. Glad you had a lovely trip.
Watching Gods of Egypt tomorrow, the shit we do for love.
Try to stay strong fam.

D i Z

Whew.

Welcome back. That trip sounds like something we could all use right about now. Sorry you had to come home to this.... mess.

D i Z

Just finished watching Tarzan. Wasn't bad. It was interesting how they got over the obvious racial hurdles by not ignoring it at all. Couching it in real historical events of European conquest of the Congo and the theft of their resources.That's nothing new for the story of Tarzan, but what felt new was the inclusion of the condemnation of those perpetrators and nations involved. The context of it all, which the old school Tarzan films couldn't provide. It was kind of impressive that they had several key characters all with different motivations and cultures all wrapped up in this event, and it worked. Not completely leaning on the fantastical elements to carry the story.

To be fair, he's not wrong.

Twitter only decided to do shit because the target this time was a famous person currently in the public eye for their movie.

All kinds of garbage goes unpunished by Twitter. They just didn't want to look bad this time.
Fine. And they'll get called out on it. And more change happens. The world of everyday folks is ignored by their very neighbors. Famous people bring eyes. Some get ignored..fine. Not this time. Sounds like progresses to me..and I could give a fuck about that movie..excelsior be DAMNED!!

giphy.gif

Should be catching a beating with a sock full of locks..how it was done when America was great..

Slayven

Whew.

You were free in Canada and you came back?

Fine. And they'll get called out on it. And more change happens. The world of everyday folks is ignored by their very neighbors. Famous people bring eyes. Some get ignored..fine. Not this time. Sounds like progresses to me..and I could give a fuck about that movie..excelsior be DAMNED!!

giphy.gif

Should be catching a beating with a sock full of locks..how it was done when America was great..

I already am mwhahahahaha....

And say it with me

Busting makes me feel good!

I hope you're still kissing the distance between us that is preventing me from dragging you to see it.

Slayven

Gordon i got custed out over Fantastic Four

My sister watched the Jessica Alba version and call to fuss at me over how shitty the new one was compared to it.

Is that paypal account still open? I need some workers comp

https://youtu.be/0tdyU_gW6WE

I know niggas!! Stay your ass at that hat..��

This is my jam man!

My sister watched the Jessica Alba version and call to fuss at me over how shitty the new one was compared to it.

You know, now matter how shit the new one was I actually think I liked it better than the first try.

Then again I'm on Team FF 94 is the only real FF film.

Damn! If that don't answer all. Thinking of bumping the OT next month to get some..unbiased reviews.

Then again I'm on Team FF 94 is the only real FF film.

Official movie version of the fam and I..

---

excelsior: You a fan of Izzard? Had some random shit running on YouTube today while building furniture and he popped up. Cat is pretty funny, but I can't say I've kept up with his stand-up. You (anyone, really) got any recommends? Thanks in advance.

You were free in Canada and you came back?

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAA!

Ahem.

I came back because this USA is My Damn Country. My people been here longer than Trump's, that's for damn sure.

Plus, maybe I can use my house as a stop on the Underground Railroad.

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAA!

Ahem.

I came back because this USA is My Damn Country. My people been here longer than Trump's, that's for damn sure.

Plus, maybe I can use my house as a stop on the Underground Railroad.
Don't know that I say it much, but thank you for your..I dunno..brightness. 😊

---

DP..sorry..

Dai101

Banned
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom