• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT15| - Equine, Please

Status
Not open for further replies.
El DeBarge and the cult jam did not die for use to be acting a straight fool like this

And this is how I found out El DeBarge is touring in my state. I hope to god my mother doesn't make me drive 3 hours up north to see him.

And what ever happened to Lisa Lisa and nem?

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
BlackGAF, A question I've been meaning to ask for YEARS:

giphy.gif

HEW is this fine-ass, surprised-ass nigga?

Your help is much appreciated.

yeah, you need to watch the wire

I loved The Get Down so much.

Some of my thoughts posted in its OT:

I couldn't get how it wasn't a black and latino show that wasn't a sitcom or something. I found it so relatable, even though I grew up in the 80's and 90's and in the suburbs. I can't explain it, but it just worked for me on all levels and I felt comfortable watching it.

I love the kung fu mysticism and urban legend storytelling going on in the first episode. Felt like blaxploitation meets kung fu movies and the way this surrealism blended with the reality of Zeke and his friends and just trying to find love really resonated with me. They really acted like teens and despite all the complaints about the dialogue I thought it felt extremely natural.

Fucking Shao and his Bruce Lee belt buckle.

Honestly, I don't trust most critics when it comes to black stories on the screen. They're often so far away from it, and are commonly more willing to be far more harsh towards such stories. I saw the word "mess" in a lot of reviews for The Get Down and that word not once showed in my vocabulary for describing the show. If you care to look at most black movies/shows you'd see low review scores for most of them which rate pretty highly among actual black viewers. Trusting critics when it comes to shows that star mostly minorities will often result in disappointment. Just watch it for yourself.

Reminds me of that video Seren made for The Wiz Live where critics bashed what is considered a hallmark in Black American theater, which you can watch here.

its good. worth the hours i just spent binge watching it.

makes dope look like trash imo.

dope started off fantastic. it just lost me when it turned into another drug movie...with bitcoins lmao. loved that crew though, and they had a cool band.

get down though...i don't even like baz luhrmann but this is the best scripted drama i've seen on netflix. so much energy and a fresh approach to the period piece.

lordmrw

this ridiculous heat reminded me of the times my friends and I would walk 45 minutes across the city in sweltering 95 degree heat to the other public swimming pool because it had a 12 foot deep end and ignored the one 5 minutes away from us. You couldn't pay me to do that now.

Man it's surreal. Almost every one of my friends and family around here have had their homes devasted by the floods. The shit came so quick at my moms house it was scary. This morning there was nothing, now it's damn near to her front door. My cousin almost drowned in a story that was funny but wouldn't be funny if he'd actually drowned. Like nigga I know you need insulin but you know goddamn well your ass can't swim, either. Lucky people passed by with a boat to get him as he clung to a tree lmao

You in Baton Rouge? That's what I was talking about when my comment got overlooked.

Slayven

this ridiculous heat reminded me of the times my friends and I would walk 45 minutes across the city in sweltering 95 degree heat to the other public swimming pool because it had a 12 foot deep end and ignored the one 5 minutes away from us. You couldn't pay me to do that now.

Obama should do something about this heat

Infinite

I saw about half of the first episode of the get down and I really gotta finish the rest of it. Enjoyed what I watched, the Kung-fu mysticism was great and very relatable for me growing up In a black ass family who had dozens of Kung-fu movies on VHS.

Is it really getting panned by mainstream critics?

Sch1sm

I saw about half of the first episode of the get down and I really gotta finish the rest of it. Enjoyed what I watched, the Kung-fu mysticism was great and very relatable for me growing up In a black ass family who had dozens of Kung-fu movies on VHS.

Is it really getting panned by mainstream critics?

I read a few articles, and a lot of them seem to cite their issues as past the first episode since Baz Luhrmann is no longer director/behind the camera. Lots of complaints about pacing and tone shifts, lack of direction/purpose/motivation, the former two linked to their dislike for the side stories of Mylene and her family drama, Francisco Cruz/Papa Fuerte, Shaolin
and the mob

Personally loved it, I don't agree with most of their complaints. I don't know what those critics expect teens to act like at all.

Infinite

I read a few articles, and a lot of them seem to cite their issues as past the first episode since Bak Luhrmann is no longer director/behind the camera. Lots of complaints about pacing and tone shifts, lack of direction/purpose/motivation, the former two linked to their dislike for the side stories of Mylene and her family drama, Francisco Cruz/Papa Fuerte, Shaolin
and the mob

Personally loved it, I don't agree with most of their complaints. I don't know what those critics expect teens to act like at all.
So they thought that the way the teens acted was unrealistic?

Sch1sm

So they thought that the way the teens acted was unrealistic?

That's what I take from their comments on Dizzee and Ezekiel, in general, but it was more of an aside when they mentioned those. Their largest issues were essentially the first bit of my second sentence: "Lots of complaints about pacing and tone shifts, lack of direction/purpose/motivation" and everything else stems from there.

I read a few articles, and a lot of them seem to cite their issues as past the first episode since Baz Luhrmann is no longer director/behind the camera. Lots of complaints about pacing and tone shifts, lack of direction/purpose/motivation, the former two linked to their dislike for the side stories of Mylene and her family drama, Francisco Cruz/Papa Fuerte, Shaolin
and the mob

None of these complaints make sense to me. Post contains minor spoilers.

Mylene and her family are important because of its connection with disco being seen as evil and the rise of gospel in the 80's. It also establishes why singing is so important to her and she wants to get away and make it more than anyone. Mylene's disco leanings are important because of hip hops very own disco inspired origins. While some hip hop groups thought disco was whack (think Shao's take on it), late 70's and early 80's hip hop was very inspired by the disco sound and it's a crucial part of the makeup of the genre. The way the show beautifully tied up Mylene's disco record with the boys' own playing of it was glorious and works to show how black music in the 70's fed off and often inspired one another.

Papa Fuerte is important because he's a guy who wants to do right by his community. It's also important given his endorsement of Koch, and Koch's legacy amid the racial division in the late 70's and throughout the 80's that inspired anger across an entire generation of New York hip hop artists. Ed Koch's policies failed the black community of NYC in the 80's, and it's a way to show that a guy with his heart in the right place in Papa Fuerte (and more importantly, the people of the Bronx) is going to get screwed.

I'm not sure how Shao and the mob is a bad storyline?

lordmrw

NMS hate is insane, I thought it was a small game just a few folks were following. But niggas was waiting with the salt.

I honestly don't get why so many people seem so invested in the game being bad. The only expectation I have when I buy a game is that it will entertain me however long it lasts. Fuck whatever hype the designers are trying to generate, that doesn't matter to me. Entertain me. Thats it. Its why I stopped reading reviews years ago, I'm not invested in the success or failure of a game.

Slayven

I honestly don't get why so many people seem so invested in the game being bad. The only expectation I have when I buy a game is that it will entertain me however long it lasts. Fuck whatever hype the designers are trying to generate, that doesn't matter to me. Entertain me. Thats it. Its why I stopped reading reviews years ago, I'm not invested in the success or failure of a game.

It is just a meta game some people enjoy for some reason. My time is too precious to be shitting or defending something that ain't putting money in my pocket.

Decision is one thing, but this goes beyond that.

jmood88

I was excited for The Get Down, then the reviews took that excitement down, then I watched the first episode and lost any desire to continue past that point.

I was excited for The Get Down, then the reviews took that excitement down, then I watched the first episode and lost any desire to continue past that point.

How come?? I really feel like a lot of people's disappointment with the show is that it clashes with what they expected as opposed to outright being bad

jmood88

How come?? I really feel like a lot of people's disappointment with the show is that it clashes with what they expected as opposed to outright being bad
I wasn't interested in anything that was happening and there are way too many good shows out there for me to waste time on something that doesn't interest me.

Do Better

Ah, vacation weather.

I was at six flags yesterday, sweating like a pig. Just sitting in the shade. They get you by letting you sweat, then offering up a $3 bottle of water. Or sode. Fuckers.

My first time at six flags over GA, I got mildly dehydrated. I remember seeing one lukewarm water fountain in the whole place.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
it was a perfect time to release the get down. with everybody sweating on the show it's like i feel their pain. 93 degrees out right now.

Sch1sm

None of these complaints make sense to me. Post contains minor spoilers.

Mylene and her family are important because of its connection with disco being seen as evil and the rise of gospel in the 80's. It also establishes why singing is so important to her and she wants to get away and make it more than anyone. Mylene's disco leanings are important because of hip hops very own disco inspired origins. While some hip hop groups thought disco was whack (think Shao's take on it), late 70's and early 80's hip hop was very inspired by the disco sound and it's a crucial part of the makeup of the genre. The way the show beautifully tied up Mylene's disco record with the boys' own playing of it was glorious and works to show how black music in the 70's fed off and often inspired one another.

Papa Fuerte is important because he's a guy who wants to do right by his community. It's also important given his endorsement of Koch, and Koch's legacy amid the racial division in the late 70's and throughout the 80's that inspired anger across an entire generation of New York hip hop artists. Ed Koch's policies failed the black community of NYC in the 80's, and it's a way to show that a guy with his heart in the right place in Papa Fuerte (and more importantly, the people of the Bronx) is going to get screwed.

I'm not sure how Shao and the mob is a bad storyline?

They don't make sense to me, either. Hell, I agree with you on all those points. The one thing I can see is the difference between the directing styles, but even that wasn't bothersome to me.

The Shao thing I read on a Guardian article. I'll find it:

They don't even explain why, just call it a dead end. I guess what they're trying to say is how exactly does this fit, but they're obviously overlooking the whole disenfranchised youth of the Bronx doing what it takes to survive, whether that involves drugs or not.

How is Shao's involvement with gangstas a dead end? Shao isn't going to scrape by and get pennies. He needs dough. That means doing illegal stuff. They stole their equipment. Due to the success of their show and drug running at the same time, it's likely Auntie will want in on the shows and see them personally. Disco dude is gonna scope out their gear and realize they stole it and it's going to blow up in their faces in Part 2.

This is storytelling and foreshadowing 101.

Jaden's character fits because he's a tagger and represents the rebel experience of hip hop. I wish we got even more of his tagger adventures and the writers block.

I'm telling you. Trusting white reviewers when it comes to black media is just asking for a headache. They are generally clueless.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom