• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT16| - I'm blacker than you'll ever be

Status
Not open for further replies.
My uncle was admitted to the ER this morning, he was fighting a fire when the roof of the building collapsed on him. He's as fight as you can be with a Sprained Neck and Hernia though. He's going to be out on medical leave for a few months and has to ha s a neck surgery.

That really stinks :/ I hope your uncle makes a full recovery.

-------------------------------------

Balrog is a blast in SFV, but I cant wait for my boy Dudley to come back.

FyreWulff

My uncle was admitted to the ER this morning, he was fighting a fire when the roof of the building collapsed on him. He's as fight as you can be with a Sprained Neck and Hernia though. He's going to be out on medical leave for a few months and has to ha s a neck surgery.

Hope he gets better and tell him I said thanks for his service

Shy

Goodness.

I hope he make a full and speedy recovery.

Casey Affleck’s Dark Secret: The Disturbing Allegations Against the Oscar Hopeful
The producer and cinematographer of his mockumentary ‘I’m Still Here’ accused the ‘Manchester by the Sea’ star of a long cycle of sexual harassment and verbal abuse.

Jemelle Hill is asking why Affleck & his lengthy list of sexual harassment allegations arent being dragged on social media & by outlets like Slate, Vulture, Vox, & Variety the way Nate Parker was. Where were the protests outside his movies?

He's a winner. Where's the evidence? Don't pull the race card.

Yea. This is a damn shame

LionPride

Banned
Casey Affleck’s Dark Secret: The Disturbing Allegations Against the Oscar Hopeful
The producer and cinematographer of his mockumentary ‘I’m Still Here’ accused the ‘Manchester by the Sea’ star of a long cycle of sexual harassment and verbal abuse.

Jemelle Hill is asking why Affleck & his lengthy list of sexual harassment allegations arent being dragged on social media & by outlets like Slate, Vulture, Vox, & Variety the way Nate Parker was. Where were the protests outside his movies?

He's a winner. Where's the evidence? Don't pull the race card.

Yea. This is a damn shame

I mean, besides the fact Parker brought up the allegations himself then proceeded to not get his foot outta his goddamn mouth, looking like more of an asshole in the process, this is fucked up

Bronx-Man

Banned
So after a month of skipping out on the barber, I decided to just start growing my hair out. What are some oils and stuff y'all use to keep your hair moisturized?

LionPride

Banned
So after a month of skipping out on the barber, I decided to just start growing my hair out. What are some oils and stuff y'all use to keep your hair moisturized?
Cantu is what I used

Also this purple shit that I can't remember the name of

Also a mixture of water, coconut oil, and mint that I spray in my hair

TheFlow

Banned
Brothers and sisters if you don't watch a movie this year but one...let it be moonlight. Probably one of the greatest films of the 21st century and a must watch for black people along with all the other greats

Johndoey

Banned
I think something got screwed up and I got a 1 TB harddrive Xbox One instead of the 500 GB I ordered. This thing is listing over 700 GBs of free space.

So reading through that thread about video game tropes people hate, I still stand by my opinion of the hero not killing the ruthless, soulless, murderous villain because he would be just like him is a terrible trope. I mean really, the hero is chasing after a dude who in a course of in game time of whatever, razes the hero's village, overthrows a kingdom, kills the ruler, who is secondary character's father, kills hundreds of people, ruins the earth and kicks puppies because why not. And when the hero has that asshole dead to rights, the hero or secondary character in the party says something like "I can't kill you, I'll become just like you!"

Really? Really? Just like him? Wow...uh how about no? I'm already better than him because I'm trying to fucking end his ass for destroying the village, taking over a kingdom with a hostile takeover, ruining the earth, killing hundreds and kicking puppies. I'm gonna end that punk bitch, end of discussion. But some games go through with the trope because morals and shit. I'm as kindhearted as they come, but if I was in that situation, I would realize what is at stake and do what needs to be done.

So reading through that thread about video game tropes people hate, I still stand by my opinion of the hero not killing the ruthless, soulless, murderous villain because he would be just like him is a terrible trope. I mean really, the hero is chasing after a dude who in a course of in game time of whatever, razes the hero's village, overthrows a kingdom, kills the ruler, who is secondary character's father, kills hundreds of people, ruins the earth and kicks puppies because why not. And when the hero has that asshole dead to rights, the hero or secondary character in the party says something like "I can't kill you, I'll become just like you!"

Really? Really? Just like him? Wow...uh how about no? I'm already better than him because I'm trying to fucking end his ass for destroying the village, taking over a kingdom with a hostile takeover, ruining the earth, killing hundreds and kicking puppies. I'm gonna end that punk bitch, end of discussion. But some games go through with the trope because morals and shit. I'm as kindhearted as they come, but if I was in that situation, I would realize what is at stake and do what needs to be done.

Eh, this is mostly why I avoid anything superhero related and don't care for batman most of all. I prefer "antiheros" that will kill their villains. Due justice man. But like you said games don't give you much of a choice, and if they do they try and make you feel wrong for doing it. Same could be said about some of the community if you say otherwise. Fuck a nice guy story.

____

Mornin' yall. Off vacation and back to the grind that is work.

That feeling when you pay for the cheapest shipping and the package ships from a warehouse in your state. I could have spent an extra $40 and it would have arrived on the same day.

Edit: and of course the fedex guy rings the bell just as I sit on the toilet to take a shit.

Eh, this is mostly why I avoid anything superhero related and don't care for batman most of all. I prefer "antiheros" that will kill their villains. Due justice man. But like you said games don't give you much of a choice, and if they do they try and make you feel wrong for doing it. Same could be said about some of the community if you say otherwise. Fuck a nice guy story.

____

Mornin' yall. Off vacation and back to the grind that is work.

This is why I love Fallout, especially new Vegas. I was a saint to those out in the wasteland, just trying to survive. But if you were a bandit or worse, part of Caesar's legion? Your ass is grass. And nothing bad happened to me. You can be a nice guy, helping folks out and dish out wasteland justice. Basically we need more gray morality games to play instead of being boxed in good sides or bad sides.

ChamplooJones

Formerly Momotaro

Damn Jemele. You're better than this.

Malyse

tumblr_ohbtpjrvRO1vatd2po2_1280.png

tumblr_ohbtpjrvRO1vatd2po1_r1_1280.png

Well damn.

Kreed

Nas And Colin Kaepernick Criticized For Praising Fidel Castro

Nas and Colin Kaepernick are catching backlash for praising Fidel Castro.

Kaepernick spoke highly of Castro during a news conference in Miami Sunday (Nov. 27), while Nas shared a post dubbing the 90-year-old former Cuban leader a “revolutionary,” and ally in the struggle,” Saturday (Nov. 26).

“RIP KING FIDEL CASTRO#revolutionary only 5% understand,” Nas wrote next to a photo of Castor with Malcolm X. “I’m not Cuban, I don’t fully know how he affected my Cuban family, so I’m sending strength and power for your pains. But lots Of us, as Black people, n some others in the USA, we saw him as an Ally in the Struggle.”

Before long, fans started blasting the MC for the post.

“Your ‘ally in the struggle was going to allow the USSR to park NUCLEAR MISSILES in Cuba and point them at the United States.. you think he cared what color the targets were??,” read one lengthy comment. “The man killed his own people for over 50 year and some were willing to risk the lives of there entire families just to get away from him. A few pictures with prominent African American activist does not erase that. The man was manipulative and would not have done any of that unless he thought it would further his cause. People are incredible hypocrites for talking against oppression and then backing this monster. The world is a better place without him.”

An additional comment read, “You’re so dumb, he deserved to die,” while another response claimed that, “any black person that supports black lives matter and at the same time think Castro was a good leader are stupid ignorant f*cks who deserve to be ‘targeted’ by our [government].”

This whole Castro thing makes me wonder if people are ever really able to understand that there is two sides to every story and that perspective is a very important thing.

I don't doubt that he was a monster to his own people btw

JLynn

First day on the job and I am one of three black people. One of them is a dead ringer for Omarosa. Back of my head, I was going "Please don't be like her!"

Onemic

I have no opinion on Fidel Castro tbh. I do believe a lot of what the US thinks about the dude is straight propaganda because they didnt like each other.

Johndoey

Banned
I'm not saying it's good, but Fidel Castro is a high polarizing figure of course you're going to catch hell for publicly praising him that's just the way that it goes. Especially in an area with older Cuban immigrants and their children.

I have no opinion on Fidel Castro tbh. I do believe a lot of what the US thinks about the dude is straight propaganda because they didnt like each other.
I mean you're right, but there are legitimate grievances to be had with Castro.

Ya'll mind if I ramble about my life? Yes? No? Well, I'll do it anyways lol

I'm about to legit fail 2 classes in CC. It's not that big of a deal tbh. I've had to retake 2 classes before. I can pay to retake them, get better grades, and transfer a little later. Life is nowhere near over

However, the thing is is that after this semester I think I need to leave my house. And by my house, I mean the one I grew up in. I turned 21 recently so im an adult and my mom has been talking about me needing to live on my own. Totally reasonable, of course, but the plan was for me to finish CC this semester and transfer. Within that I assumed I'd live on campus and have that be the start of me living by myself. But if I had to do another CC semester then I'd be living in an apartment or something and I have doooont have the money to do that

Could I pass these failing classes with C's? I think it might be possible, but realistically I'd have to retake them.

If I had to retake the CC classes would my mom really put me out? I don't think so, but she wants me to think about self-dependence (for several reasons) and more importantly I'm getting tired of my surroundings. 2016 hasn't been the best for me, and because I've found myself in a depressive funk this year i've been more solitary. I avoid interacting with anyone when I get to this self-loathing phase and rationalize it with a "When I do better in life, then I can get back to normal". In the case of family where people expect you to visit them during holiday parties or call them from time to time you could see why that mindset would be a problem or why someone else wouldn't like it (my mom).

I've been having fantasies of taking a bus to some far off state if I failed a class this semester. That'd practically be suicide though because of course I'd be homeless, devoid of progress in college Maybe? I dont know how that would work) and starting life from square one inside of some shelter. Crazy fantasy aside, whatever the case I need to be alone right now and there's no way a family would take kindly to me telling them to shut the fuck up and leave me alone (in nicer words lol), especially one who's house im living in and whose food im eating.

Anyways, I don't mind doing the best that I can with these last 3 weeks in my current school semester. My brain is full of thoughts though, both wild and realistic, so I figured I'd dump them here so I can focus on doing stuff...schoolwork, art, writing, living? Shit, I've been so self-destructive I haven't even been keeping up with tv, like Insecure smh

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom