• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT16| - I'm blacker than you'll ever be

Status
Not open for further replies.

D i Z

My man Shy. I know shit is rough right now and parliament are making headlines over love taps that are sending each other to the hospital. But I just want you to know that no one is going to judge you for partaking in that new KFC breakfast menu.

And wow to that clown kickin' that went down.

Also, Mystique cosplay that said fuckit, and just did the thing.

srcstc.gif

Been wanting to do mine after I finish university. I'm expecting mine to be all over the place. I know my mom's side of the family is overwhelmingly British, and there's probably some other European in there. My dad's side though? No fucking idea. Black Canadian from Nova Scotia, and I don't even know how our family got there. They're all light skin, so I'm expecting a bit of European on that side too.

Black Canadian from Nova Scotia, you say? Could be descended from the Black Loyalists, escaped slaves who fought for the British during the Revolutionary War. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Loyalist Or descended from the Black Refugees, who escaped slavery to Nova Scotia during the War of 1812. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Refugee_(War_of_1812)

Malyse

Goddamn movie got me straight crying in the goddamn theater.
I don't need to tell y'all to see Birth of a Nation, right? Take someone with you if you can. You shouldn't see this alone.

shingi70

Banned
Birth of the nation has me so conflicted. I want to see it too support black films and in general it looks like a must see film. Than I see alot of my Facebook friends mostly black femininst and activist having the attitude of fuck this movie and fuck Nat Parker.

NCR Redslayer

NeoGAF's Vegeta
Man I wish TwitchCon stayed in the SFC and not moved to SoCal. I would have met better, newer streamers,
and not hog the SFV demo area trying to master Laura before they banned me.
I don't need to tell y'all to see Birth of a Nation, right? Take someone with you if you can. You shouldn't see this alone.
So the movie is good despite the director being bad? I might watch it after or before I see Shin Godzilla next week.

Malyse

Birth of the nation has me so conflicted. I want to see it too support black films and in general it looks like a must see film. Than I see alot of my Facebook friends mostly black femininst and activist having the attitude of fuck this movie and fuck Nat Parker.

At a certain point you have to separate the creator from the art. This is an Important movie with a capital I, but that doesn't erase the actions of Parker. Setting that aside, this is on the 12 Years a Slave, Amistad, Selma level of "you need to see this film" (though it's more in the camp of the former two with it's "I don't ever want to see that again"-ness). My personal morality says that badness in a person's past doesn't invalidate their future good works. This is a very good work. The most comparable example is how Passion of the Christ is Important for the christian faithful despite and in spite of all the terrible that is Mel Gibson.

Also, keep in mind that this isn't a Nate Parker one man play. There are a lot of people involved in this and I think it unfair to punish everyone involved for the actions of one.

hypernima

Banned
I once told my father I wouldn't marry a Somalian purely for the reaction and he wanted to end my life, I could see it. Too thin a line. It's easier as a male, though, since our culture loves the whole clan basis and that's passed through the father.

Damn, you couldn't even fuck with West Africans if you wanted?

I under stand the feeling though, once told an aunt I would get with an Igbo girl and she straight looked me in the eyes and said she'd cut me off at an instant. Luckily my parents don't typically give a fuck about that stuff.

I'm playing SFV with Gordon for a wee bit, if people want to join..

Damn it!!

Agreed man agreed. Movie is too good, I was speechless.

His rep is tarnished, there's nothing more to do about it. I understand where people are coming from with not wanting to support him, but it's bigger than him. This movie, in my opinion is an important piece of cinema.

Shy

I'm watching the 13th at the mo.
I'm not too far into it, but it's really good. You ladies and gentlemen should watch it.
ggs Shy
And G
Thanks. you too.
My man Shy. I know shit is rough right now and parliament are making headlines over love taps that are sending each other to the hospital. But I just want you to know that no one is going to judge you for partaking in that new KFC breakfast menu.
��
Damn it!!
Sorry fam.

Malyse

On an unrelated note, I have this writing prompt that won't get the fuck out of my head. I might have to write it.

The union loses the American Civil War and a Confederate States of America is established. Weakened greatly from the war effort, the new government was overthrown by the slaves who established a new nation of African nationals. The new country attracts the free slaves who immigrant back into and they establish a working relationship with the United States.

I didn't have a story to tell in that setting, but I'm afraid I might have gotten inspired?

NCR Redslayer

NeoGAF's Vegeta
On an unrelated note, I have this writing prompt that won't get the fuck out of my head. I might have to write it.

I didn't have a story to tell in that setting, but I'm afraid I might have gotten inspired?
Nothing wrong from gtaking inspiration as long as it's not plagiarism. Also that premise sounds familiar...
Man, South Park marks get triggered as all hell when you diss their shitty cartoon.
"Its satirical so you're not suppose to get offended!" I really don't like South Park or its fans in general nowadays. The game was ok.

andthebeatgoeson

Sully was good. The cast really pulls it together. Eastwood and the story sucked. And the ending was just a cliff. He got tired and went home.

When you only run for 90 minutes and show the crash 5+ times, i kinda feel like you ran out of things to say. Sure, let's show 4 reenactments at the end and let two face end it on a zinger.

And it'll win an award. Meanwhile, Castaway was a superb movie about a dude on an island and didn't win much. It did compete against gladiator but still.

The cast was phenomenal and the script let them down.

Malyse

Nothing wrong from gtaking inspiration as long as it's not plagiarism.

There's also nothing wrong with independently coming up with a writing prompt without any outside influence. What precisely are you trying to imply?

Furthermore, it's a goddamn writing prompt. How the fuck do you plagiarize a writing prompt. Like, how does that even work? Not that it matters because I came up with it.

Also that premise sounds familiar...

No fucking shit it looks familiar.

I had a weird ass writing prompt pop in my head the other day. Basically a What If scenario where the South won the Civil War and established a Confederate States of America, only to then be caught completely off guard by a slave uprising and the CSA ended up becoming a seat of power for black people who in turn immigrated back into the african nation.

ronweasley.gif

Sch1sm

That's fucked up.

You're telling me. I live it. It's this sort of thing that's only pushed me to know that, in a position if I have kids, I wouldn't place those restrictions on anyone. I think what bothers me most is that they're all gung-ho about religion, but fail to pay mind that marriage for love is much more highly regarded than marrying to please someone.

Damn, you couldn't even fuck with West Africans if you wanted?

I under stand the feeling though, once told an aunt I would get with an Igbo girl and she straight looked me in the eyes and said she'd cut me off at an instant. Luckily my parents don't typically give a fuck about that stuff.

Not even West Africans, if I listened to my family. I've certainly never gone out with a Somalian. A combination of knowing relatively few and their perpetuated norms of woman at home, in the kitchen, etcetcetc, that their parents instilled by saying shit to their sisters like, "No, Mohamed cannot wash the dishes. He's a boy." <- This is a statement I hear on a regular basis, no joke. My brother is a boy and therefore can't do anything, and if I so much as even reference the fact that my dad will sometimes cook or do the dishes I'll get flipped out on. It's a hard life.

My parents are super underground with it. You never know until you test them. I'm like half grateful I found out through a joke, but I'd rather be disowned than deal with something I don't want.

When you're struck with that fire, you gotta keep it burning. Go for it.

Malyse

When you're struck with that fire, you gotta keep it burning. Go for it.

I'm still struggling with the game I'm trying to write.
And the comic.
And the novel.
And the audio drama.

Like, I've got so much I'm trying to do now, I'd feel foolish taking on anything else.

On a related note, I am a crazy person whose wants far exceed their grasp.

Sch1sm

I'm still struggling with the game I'm trying to write.
And the comic.
And the novel.
And the audio drama.

Like, I've got so much I'm trying to do now, I'd feel foolish taking on anything else.

Maybe just an outline, then? So you don't lose it.

Malyse

Me and my boy are celebrating our newly found African ancestries by watching 2016: The Movie.

Cool, I'll be by in an hour.
Maybe just an outline, then? So you don't lose it.

It's been kicking around in my head for a hot minute. I'm not too worried. I'd actually someone else write it.

-----

tumblr_oek2jzbaPr1qg2ooso1_1280.jpg

tumblr_oek2jzbaPr1qg2ooso2_1280.jpg

-----

Why Black lives matter.

Black lives matter.

They matter because they are children, brothers, sisters, mothers, and fathers.

They matter because the injustices they face steal from all of us &#8212; white people and people of color alike. They steal our very humanity.

Systemic and institutionalized racism are the defining civil rights and social justice issues of our time. We&#8217;ve come to understand that to be silent about the violence and threats to the lives and well-being of Black people is to be complicit in that violence and those threats.

We ask you to join us in not being complicit.

There is good news: the first step in overcoming systemic racism and injustice is to simply understand and admit that there is a problem. It&#8217;s trying to understand the perspective of others whose experiences are different from our own. To not just listen, but to truly understand those whose struggle for justice is real, and not yet complete.

Rev. Dr. William J. Barber, II, President of the North Carolina NAACP, said it best when reacting to the recent police shooting in Charlotte, NC. He said, &#8220;Our objective is simple: to ensure justice-loving people act toward justice, with all evidence, and that we stand together and act from a place of power and love, rather than out of fear and anger.&#8221;

It&#8217;s been hard to watch the list of unarmed Black Americans killed by law enforcement officers grow longer and longer. We understand that numerous Black Americans and white Americans have profoundly different experiences and outcomes with law enforcement and the criminal justice system. That&#8217;s why it&#8217;s become clear to us at Ben & Jerry&#8217;s that we have a moral obligation to take a stand now for justice and for Black lives.

We want to be clear: we believe that saying Black lives matter is not to say that the lives of those who serve in the law enforcement community don&#8217;t. We respect and value the commitment to our communities that those in law enforcement make, and we respect the value of every one of their lives.

But we do believe that &#8212; whether Black, brown, white, or blue &#8212; our nation and our very way of life is dependent on the principle of all people being served equal justice under the law. And it&#8217;s clear, the effects of the criminal justice system are not color blind.

We do not place the blame for this on individual officers. Rather, we believe it is due to the systemic racism built into the fabric of our institutions at every level, disadvantaging and discriminating against people of color in ways that go beyond individual intent to discriminate. For this reason, we are not pointing fingers at individuals; we are instead urging us to come together to better our society and institutions so that we may finally fulfill the founding promise of this country: to be a country with dignity and justice for all.

All lives do matter. But all lives will not matter until Black lives matter.

We ask people to be open to understanding these issues, and not to reflexively retreat to our current beliefs. Change happens when people are willing to listen and hear the struggles of their neighbor, putting aside preconceived notions and truly seeking to understand and grow. We&#8217;ll be working hard on that, and ask you to as well.

- Your friends at Ben & Jerry&#8217;s

Zekes!

Black Canadian from Nova Scotia, you say? Could be descended from the Black Loyalists, escaped slaves who fought for the British during the Revolutionary War. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Loyalist Or descended from the Black Refugees, who escaped slavery to Nova Scotia during the War of 1812. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Refugee_(War_of_1812)

Yeah I have a vague knowledge of my roots, being from Nova Scotia, I just don't know the details of my family. I usually just say to people that my ancestors escaped from America at some point when they ask me where "they're from".

When I do that tho, suddenly they don't want to press further

hypernima

Banned
Not even West Africans, if I listened to my family. I've certainly never gone out with a Somalian. A combination of knowing relatively few and their perpetuated norms of woman at home, in the kitchen, etcetcetc, that their parents instilled by saying shit to their sisters like, "No, Mohamed cannot wash the dishes. He's a boy." <- This is a statement I hear on a regular basis, no joke. My brother is a boy and therefore can't do anything, and if I so much as even reference the fact that my dad will sometimes cook or do the dishes I'll get flipped out on. It's a hard life.

Yo damn...
WeeBey.gif

I feel you on that men don't do chores shit, though that never really took place in my household it did in some. That shit is stupid and fosters bad men with no work ethic who become huge misogynists. I love being a Nigerian male but I don't like the patriarchy and do whatever I can not to instill that in the next generation.

Nigga you ain't shit lmao

Slayven

If i was a mod.

Yo damn...
WeeBey.gif

I feel you on that men don't do chores shit, though that never really took place in my household it did in some. That shit is stupid and fosters bad men with no work ethic who become huge misogynists. I love being a Nigerian male but I don't like the patriarchy and do whatever I can not to instill that in the next generation.

Nigga you ain't shit lmao

Too bad it's not the cast of the Joy Luck Club, right Slay?

I guess folks didn't watch luke cage

At a certain point you have to separate the creator from the art. This is an Important movie with a capital I, but that doesn't erase the actions of Parker. Setting that aside, this is on the 12 Years a Slave, Amistad, Selma level of "you need to see this film" (though it's more in the camp of the former two with it's "I don't ever want to see that again"-ness). My personal morality says that badness in a person's past doesn't invalidate their future good works. This is a very good work. The most comparable example is how Passion of the Christ is Important for the christian faithful despite and in spite of all the terrible that is Mel Gibson.

Also, keep in mind that this isn't a Nate Parker one man play. There are a lot of people involved in this and I think it unfair to punish everyone involved for the actions of one.

Based on early reviews from Black Historians, you can skip it in good conscious brehs...

Slayven

Past? Nigga out here fucking up now.

I was psyched about the movie. But nah, I will catch it on TNT or whatever

Kreed

It was touted as a historically accurate film.....you can't be making up scenarios and adding rape plots to something that wasn't there in the first place.

Courtesy of Mumei.

Consider, for example, the film’s troubling depictions of black women. A crucial turning point in the movie occurs when Turner’s wife, Cherry, is brutally gang raped by a group of slave patrollers—an attack the film portrays as the spark that ultimately drove Turner to launch his rebellion. But there is not a shred of historical evidence to suggest that Cherry was ever raped by slave patrollers, nor is there any evidence to indicate that an attack on his wife inspired Turner to rebel. By all accounts, Turner took up arms against slavery because he believed slavery was morally wrong and violated the law of God. In the months prior to the rebellion, he reported receiving a series of visions and messages from God predicting a cataclysmic “race war” that would destroy slavery, and by early 1831, Turner believed that God had selected him as the person to lead the revolt. According to the historical record, these were the only inspirations for Turner’s rebellion. This fact is important because it demonstrates that black people not only fought against slavery because of its extreme violence and brutality, but also because they knew in their hearts that slavery was an unjust, exploitative system that violated moral laws. In other words, they fought simply because they wanted to be free.

Like the film’s other fabrications about black women, the rape story line is carefully constructed to redeem black masculinity at black women’s expense. According to The Birth of a Nation, all of the women in Turner’s life were passive victims in desperate need of black male protection. This fabrication flies in the face of historical fact. There is overwhelming evidence that Turner’s mother fought valiantly against slavery, even attempting to commit infanticide when Nat was born to prevent him from being enslaved. Yet Parker and Celestin depicted her as a meek, mild victim who resigned herself to slavery. Cherry and her female daughter are also portrayed as helpless victims who suffer unspeakable horrors until Turner rides in on his horse and vows to seek vengeance on their behalf. The only other major black female character in the film, who is brilliantly played by actress Gabrielle Union, does not speak a single word during the entire movie. She literally has no voice, and like all of the other black women in the film, she has no agency. Instead, like Cherry, she is a victim of a horrifying rape, which must be avenged by the black male heroes in her life.

https://www.thenation.com/article/the-birth-of-a-nation-is-an-epic-fail/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom