• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT16| - I'm blacker than you'll ever be

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fam, that 13th documentary on Netflix made me physically ill. There's a segment in the film thats essentially a montage of a half dozen unarmed Black folks being executed by cops. Its disturbing as all hell and will probably fuck your shit up when you watch it. I wish I hadnt seen it, cause some of those videos I'd sworn to never watch again.

Hello there, I've lurked on this thread before, I'am not a black person (Caucasian :( but I would like to post in this thread I'am from a small town 60 miles away from STL and I've just recently noticed there are black people in my hometown, which is cool and all.

Black culture has always interested me in a weird way (and yes I'am on autism spectrum if you need a further explanation) and I always felt a guilty that I never had a black friend growing up (but in further retrospect, there was a light color black girl that was a GF of one of my best friend (RIP).

So what black culture websites are there that I can read?

Sch1sm

BCT is nothing but hackers, I knew it

The only machines I hack are my own, breh.
It'a a good 10 years in prison for that in Canada, so no way. I'm too small for prison.

No I have not seen it. I'm not a fan of black cinema to be honest

Pretty blanketed statement. Not one black film you like? They don't really fall into one category, lol. What have you watched that you think that? :")

Ugh. What a time to be alive; can't even get that recognition without some proof, and even then the white guy is more trusted. Some bullshit.

embrace who you truly are

iYSXx.jpg
This Woolie's new look?

Laws00

The only machines I hack are my own, breh.
It'a a good 10 years in prison for that in Canada, so no way. I'm too small for prison.

Pretty blanketed statement. Not one black film you like? They don't really fall into one category, lol. What have you watched that you think that? :")

Ugh. What a time to be alive; can't even get that recognition without some proof, and even then the white guy is more trusted. Some bullshit.

I don't know what you would call them. Maybe movies with primarily black actors? I don't know lol sit-coms I love those those. Movies no

I think the last movie I wanted to see and I loved was LIFE

only movies that come to mind are those late 90s and early 2000s movies.

The Wood
Love Jones
The Best Man (Holiday)
The Brothers
Baby Boy
Friday (after next)

many more that i can't of. I've seen juice, don't be a menace, new jack city. Maybe it's the genres i'm watching too cause i'm not fan of drama, crime or suspense movies.

you know what I can't retract my statement I think the majority of those I liked besides baby boy but I think for me the turning point was watching Soul Plane and the flux of Tyler Perry movies that did it in for me.

Reminds me I do want to see Straight Outta Compton and DOPE but I don't think I will for another couple of years

Kreed

Now I know how DY feels.

Hello there, I've lurked on this thread before, I'am not a black person (Caucasian :( but I would like to post in this thread I'am from a small town 60 miles away from STL and I've just recently noticed there are black people in my hometown, which is cool and all.

Black culture has always interested me in a weird way (and yes I'am on autism spectrum if you need a further explanation) and I always felt a guilty that I never had a black friend growing up (but in further retrospect, there was a light color black girl that was a GF of one of my best friend (RIP).

So what black culture websites are there that I can read?

Ok first of all, you're in the Black Culture Thread. Don't get confused by all the anime and comic book discussion in here, this thread was made to discuss black culture. You don't have to be black to participate so if you have questions, feel free to ask.

Otherwise here are some sites you can check out (note, most of this is going to be focused on US Black Culture, vs Black Culture world wide):

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/African-American_culture (No this isn't a joke)
http://www.pbs.org/black-culture/home/
http://www.theroot.com/
http://www.thegrio.com
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/section/black-voices

And as a bonus, here's some books courtesy of Mumei.

Sch1sm

I don't know what you would call them. Maybe movies with primarily black actors? I don't know lol sit-coms I love those those. Movies no

I think the last movie I wanted to see and I loved was LIFE

only movies that come to mind are those late 90s and early 2000s movies.

The Wood
Love Jones
The Best Man (Holiday)
The Brothers
Baby Boy
Friday (after next)

many more that i can't of. I've seen juice, don't be a menace, new jack city. Maybe it's the genres i'm watching too cause i'm not fan of drama, crime or suspense movies.

you know what I can't retract my statement I think the majority of those I liked besides baby boy but I think for me the turning point was watching Soul Plane and the flux of Tyler Perry movies that did it in for me.

Reminds me I do want to see Straight Outta Compton and DOPE but I don't think I will for another couple of years

Considering your dislike for dramas, crime/suspense, I'm not shocked Tyler Perry & Soul Plane put you off like that. There are plenty of solid, primarily black cast movies that aren't in that bubble, though. If you'd like recommendations, I'll throw some after I get to school.

I loved Straight Outta Compton, even with Dre's refusal to go into some of his darker stuff. Try for it sooner.

all black youth team takes knee, crowd loses it's mind

Someone else could make the thread but this is worthy of discussion, IMHO.

Just got to properly read this. The irony in the opposing team calling the cops when it's them and their fans inciting hate because some players are taking knees is such a joke.

It's just breeding an even rougher generation if a bunch of people are ready to hit some 12yo kids with this tier of hate, in and out of their age group.

Crocodile

You beat me too it <3

LCpSau3EIvY6k.gif

Have I mentioned before how thoroughly Pokemon destroys other Japanese games/media/etc. when it comes to character designs?

I did but I'm mentioning it again :p

On a more serious note, I'm going to really fucking miss the Obama family. They were killin' it yesterday <3

Malyse

You beat me too it <3

LCpSau3EIvY6k.gif

Have I mentioned before how thoroughly Pokemon destroys other Japanese games/media/etc. when it comes to character designs?

I did but I'm mentioning it again :p

On a more serious note, I'm going to really fucking miss the Obama family. They were killin' it yesterday <3

The Cosplay. I can't fucking wait for the cosplay.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom