• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT16| - I'm blacker than you'll ever be

Status
Not open for further replies.

D i Z

Mornin' Squad.

Yup. Too damned early for that.

You know what grates on me about this election? People saying their vote doesn't matter. I know Canada's system isn't a mirror to America's, but we had our highest voter turnout in decades and strategic voting is how we ended up with the a Liberal majority instead of an NDP/Liberal vote split for the left with a minority Conservative win.

E: Essentially, showing up and voting for the most likely to win candidate isn't useless no matter how statistically insignificant you feel considering we run a First Past The Post system. 🙃

As often as it's said, It seems that this really needs its own outreach programming and commercial sponsorship. A lot of people really do believe that only the Presidential election is what they would be showing up for.

andthebeatgoeson

Let SENPAIatLARGE be on the voting. If it's his beliefs it's his beliefs. At least he's in here defending himself vs alleyezonme who hasn't been back in here since he started the whole discussion.

Ok.

It's bullshit beliefs, tho.

Edit: WTF is that, horsey? What am I looking at? Ice and nuts?

Trey

Let SENPAIatLARGE be on the voting. If it's his beliefs it's his beliefs. At least he's in here defending himself vs alleyezonme who hasn't been back in here since he started the whole discussion.

i just think it's corny to be making "listen here, white folks" threads on a predominantly young white male forum, but be all "politically neutral" to save yourself from headaches during electoral seasons. There's far more than the presidency at stake in this election, or any election. Again, we all know why people don't vote. It's not some complex moral phenomenon.

But voting itself is an affirmation of being politically aware, if not active. It's the major social mechanism in which we delegate power. A democracy cannot work if the appointed are not held at heel by the people. Which is in part why we find ourselves in this overall predicament today. Suffrage was not kept from the oppressed because it didn't matter.

D i Z

If you choose not to vote that's your shame to bear. But don't run up in here expecting high fives and back slaps like you're championing some kind of a cause. Keep that shit to yourself and no one is going to be side eyeing you.

Slayven

P04OpML.jpg

Who do you follow on twitter?

... Did I really just read a page of people entertaining the idea of not voting? Really? Well it's your life and your choice, but I'll be damned if I stand by and let that shit be seen as hip.

To all the people not voting:

When you go to bed at night, when you close your eyes, when you come face to face with your ancestors. The ones who fought, and bled, and died. The ones who were raped. The ones who were packed up like sausages and sent overseas to this land. Who either by grace or curse survived the trip. Who marched, and shouted, and screamed, and did everything BUT shut the fuck up. The ones who EARNED this right. The ones who weren't jumping for joy at voting for the slightly racist guy over the VERY racist guy, but voted anyway. Who, when they went to bed at night, dreamed of a better life for you. When you come face to face with them in your shared dreams...

Tell them you're not voting because you "ain't feeling it."

Vote because it's your civic duty.

Vote because our shared ancestors fought for it.

Vote because ANY progress is progress.

Vote to prove every white person who believes black folk don't really give a shit about any of this wrong.

Vote for black women, who RUN the damn Democratic party, and deserve our support.

Vote to protect the legacy of OUR president.

Vote against the man who has spent the last 8 years deligitimizing OUR president.

Vote if you EVER acted like you was about the struggle.

Vote because you ain't no privileged nigga.

Vote because at some point, at some time, you wanted somebody to believe you had some sense.

a8f97518a2aa14288b734a29aecedbce.jpg

Zekes!

I've been wanting to get back into basketball for a long ass time now. I loved it as a kid, but my interest petered out around middle school, early high school, so around 2003-2005.

I'm hoping this year's the year

You know what grates on me about this election? People saying their vote doesn't matter. I know Canada's system isn't a mirror to America's, but we had our highest voter turnout in decades and strategic voting is how we ended up with the a Liberal majority instead of an NDP/Liberal vote split for the left with a minority Conservative win.

E: Essentially, showing up and voting for the most likely to win candidate isn't useless no matter how statistically insignificant you feel considering we run a First Past The Post system. ��

Yeah I gotta agree with this. We as a country really got it together last federal election. Even if you live somewhere where your preferred party is likely to win, still vote. Out in BC we had a provincial election in which it was clear as day that our opposition party was going to win the election, and as a result none of the supporters showed up so our current party in power won again when they should've lost if people just voted.

i just think it's corny to be making "listen here, white folks" threads on a predominantly young white male forum, but be all "politically neutral" to save yourself from headaches during electoral seasons. There's far more than the presidency at stake in this election, or any election. Again, we all know why people don't vote. It's not some complex moral phenomenon.

But voting itself is an affirmation of being politically aware, if not active. It's the major social mechanism in which we delegate power. A democracy cannot work if the appointed are not held at heel by the people. Which is in part why we find ourselves in this overall predicament today. Suffrage was not kept from the oppressed because it didn't matter.

I'll take whatever complaints and ire sent my way. I have opinions and believes that I'm willing to share. I explained myself poorly earlier so allow me to elaborate. JW's stay politically neutral and don't run or vote for office because we believe that in Gods heavenly government,not mans. Jesus didnt become a king on earth even though people wanted him too, and is quoted in John 17:16 as saying "I am no part of this world". We interpret that as his declaration that he is separate from the worlds governments' and shares no part in them. To us, voting would be putting faith in the will and desires of perfect humans to make decisions that only God has the authority to. And as a nice fun fact, your ability to not salute the flag in school was fought for in the Supreme Court by Jehovah's Witnesses. I post here and make black threads because that's who I am and I can't change that. I choose to be associated with my religion and I'm sorry if my posts upset anyone. I was trying just to put my two cents in.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Boy I sure do like reading a bunch of smug white europeans telling black people that blackface isn't racist. I hope every american poster saves that thread for future reference.

I don't think we have room left on the bookshelf for yet another "Europeans refuse to understand racism" thread.

Other nice tidbit, Political Neutrality still gets you arrested in many countries and many people of my faith are jailed right now for it. Saying it saves headaches was a poor choice of words on my part for sure.

D i Z

Can't do anything else with that blackface thread. The distance between "this shit is racist" to the "is it really racist, tho???" two step is too much.

Can't do anything else with that blackface thread. The distance between "this shit is racist" to the "is it really racist, tho???" two step is too much.
Apparently we can have a conversation on whether blackface is ok or not when things get "more equal"

Edit: We live in a world where people are still debating if the Washington Redskins is offensive or not.

D i Z

Apparently we can have a conversation on whether blackface is ok or not when things get "more equal"

Edit: We live in a world where people are still debating if the Washington Redskins is offensive or not.

Sometimes, it's just too much.

Angela Rye out here attempting to stem the tide of stupid, once again.

Numb

EU and blackface is always nuts
When the only issue you got is minorites and POC asking you not to offend them but you try ways to justify that

On a lighter tone, I have a great new Sweet Potato Pie Recipe that will assuredly amaze your family and friends. It's a Tri-Color Sweet Potato Pie!
The idea is simple, you make your favorite sweet potato recipe in 3 pieces, and make each piece with a different color of sweet potato. Here I used white, purple and regular sweet potatoes to make the final product.
XOPzcnu.jpg

Combine the fillings, swirl and bake. It looks weird, but trust me when I say its delicious.

Bubba T

The cheapest diploma frame at my schools grad expo was $130.

I looked online and saw frames between 15-90 bucks.

Why do schools continue to do this shit?

Sch1sm

"It's different in Europe."

More like no minority wants to say anything because the (white) majority have made it so any complaints will be filed under, "I don't see the problem," or, "It happens in America all the time," or, "America is worse, look at shows like South Park and 2 Broke Girls, or any show with Asians/Blacks/etc." The displacement method. 🙄

Malyse

On a lighter tone, I have a great new Sweet Potato Pie Recipe that will assuredly amaze your family and friends. It's a Tri-Color Sweet Potato Pie!
The idea is simple, you make your favorite sweet potato recipe in 3 pieces, and make each piece with a different color of sweet potato. Here I used white, purple and regular sweet potatoes to make the final product.
XOPzcnu.jpg

Combine the fillings, swirl and bake. It looks weird, but trust me when I say its delicious.

NGL I wouldn't eat that. It look like it got beaten.
Who do you follow on twitter?

Don't hate. He's just sharing his favorite meals with us; horses taste things differently.

andthebeatgoeson

I'll take whatever complaints and ire sent my way. I have opinions and believes that I'm willing to share. I explained myself poorly earlier so allow me to elaborate. JW's stay politically neutral and don't run or vote for office because we believe that in Gods heavenly government,not mans. Jesus didnt become a king on earth even though people wanted him too, and is quoted in John 17:16 as saying "I am no part of this world". We interpret that as his declaration that he is separate from the worlds governments' and shares no part in them. To us, voting would be putting faith in the will and desires of perfect humans to make decisions that only God has the authority to. And as a nice fun fact, your ability to not salute the flag in school was fought for in the Supreme Court by Jehovah's Witnesses. I post here and make black threads because that's who I am and I can't change that. I choose to be associated with my religion and I'm sorry if my posts upset anyone. I was trying just to put my two cents in.
Well, I'll apologize. I thought it was just an excuse to get out of explaining. I think i may have heard that before but don't know many JW's.

D i Z

XOPzcnu.jpg

I'd try this in a heartbeat.

Um... First time posting in here, but I've lurked for a minute, I needed a place to be... To avoid some of these threads that seem to pop up on gaf early in the morning thats just racist as hell, ya'll still do the questionnaire thingy? If so I'll just edit this to fill it out.

Bubba T

It's all a hustle. Textbooks probably the most egregious.

Bruh, don't even get me started on textbooks.

Spring semester my books cost ~650 dollars. My Econ book itself was 300 fucking bones. If it wasn't for my scholarship paying for my books I'd be flipping a lid.

I'm sure there's a joke somewhere about schools wanting students to pay for that shit but not research cheaper frames.

I think it's hilarious that in a institution that teaches you research methods, money management, and economic theory they would charge students stupid prices and get mad if you get it elsewhere.

Or make those stupid online codes mandatory.

Go to an arts and craft store

Yeah I was going to hit my local store up this weekend to compare their prices to online.

andthebeatgoeson

Um... First time posting in here, but I've lurked for a minute, I needed a place to be... To avoid some of these threads that seem to pop up on gaf early in the morning thats just racist as hell, ya'll still do the questionnaire thingy? If so I'll just edit this to fill it out.
Only if you want to and feel free to ignore any Disney questions. Welcome.

Infinite

XOPzcnu.jpg

uzumaki naruto ass pie

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football

Bubba T

I usually just get the pdfs version from a friend to save money. Except when companies like WileyPlus have a monopoly on specifics textbook you need for math class. Fuck WileyPlus.

Wiley, Pearson, McGraw-Hill, all of them.

Becker takes the cake though. Their CPA materials cost ~$3200. Whew.

Malyse

The J Scott Campbell Riri exclusive cover controversy is bizarre. Does dude even care enough to actually put any work into an illustration anymore?

No. Not when he can get a pass by blaming SJW.

Yes and the last questions are most important.

Only if you want to and feel free to ignore any Disney questions. Welcome.

Thanks and I'm cool with Disney.

Where you're from - Born in New Orleans raised in California:Santa Cruz and Canada.
Where you live - Canada and California
What is your age? - 27
Your cultural heritage, lineage and genealogy - Black, Latino, Irishish
Do you know your roots - Yes
Favorite musical genre - Toss up between rap and chill wave
Your profession/major/career interest - Mechanical Engineer: Auto
Your religious affiliation - Buddhist
Hobbies - Working on cars and tattooing
KFC, Popeye's, Churches, or Bojangles? - KFC is trash their BBQ chicken was the best. Popeyes is good but can't beat churches biscuits. Bojangles dominates them all.
Marvel or DC? - Neither, I live on the edge
Favorite superhero? - Anti-hero, Spawn.
Anime or Nah? - Yes and no
Favorite sport and team? - Football, Steelers...
What's your favorite Disney movie? - James and the giant peach.

NCR Redslayer

NeoGAF's Vegeta
Wiley, Pearson, McGraw-Hill, all of them.

Becker takes the cake though. Their CPA materials cost ~$3200. Whew.
This is one of the things that I feel highschools should inform people about. Like my Highschool told me books was gonna be expensive as hell, yet they never told me why the system is so fucked.

... Did I really just read a page of people entertaining the idea of not voting? Really? Well it's your life and your choice, but I'll be damned if I stand by and let that shit be seen as hip.

To all the people not voting:

When you go to bed at night, when you close your eyes, when you come face to face with your ancestors. The ones who fought, and bled, and died. The ones who were raped. The ones who were packed up like sausages and sent overseas to this land. Who either by grace or curse survived the trip. Who marched, and shouted, and screamed, and did everything BUT shut the fuck up. The ones who EARNED this right. The ones who weren't jumping for joy at voting for the slightly racist guy over the VERY racist guy, but voted anyway. Who, when they went to bed at night, dreamed of a better life for you. When you come face to face with them in your shared dreams...

Tell them you're not voting because you "ain't feeling it."

Vote because it's your civic duty.

Vote because our shared ancestors fought for it.

Vote because ANY progress is progress.

Vote to prove every white person who believes black folk don't really give a shit about any of this wrong.

Vote for black women, who RUN the damn Democratic party, and deserve our support.

Vote to protect the legacy of OUR president.

Vote against the man who has spent the last 8 years deligitimizing OUR president.

Vote if you EVER acted like you was about the struggle.

Vote because you ain't no privileged nigga.

Vote because at some point, at some time, you wanted somebody to believe you had some sense.

Yeah, I'm late to the party, but THANK YOU, Royalan.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom