• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT16| - I'm blacker than you'll ever be

Status
Not open for further replies.

Johndoey

Banned
Barbie& her sisters in a puppy chase is decent. Barbie's sister loves surprise cupcakes.
---
Vote. For gods sake at least vote for your local officials this shit is important. At least show concern for yourself.

royalan

... Did I really just read a page of people entertaining the idea of not voting? Really? Well it's your life and your choice, but I'll be damned if I stand by and let that shit be seen as hip.

To all the people not voting:

When you go to bed at night, when you close your eyes, when you come face to face with your ancestors. The ones who fought, and bled, and died. The ones who were raped. The ones who were packed up like sausages and sent overseas to this land. Who either by grace or curse survived the trip. Who marched, and shouted, and screamed, and did everything BUT shut the fuck up. The ones who EARNED this right. The ones who weren't jumping for joy at voting for the slightly racist guy over the VERY racist guy, but voted anyway. Who, when they went to bed at night, dreamed of a better life for you. When you come face to face with them in your shared dreams...

Tell them you're not voting because you "ain't feeling it."

Vote because it's your civic duty.

Vote because our shared ancestors fought for it.

Vote because ANY progress is progress.

Vote to prove every white person who believes black folk don't really give a shit about any of this wrong.

Vote for black women, who RUN the damn Democratic party, and deserve our support.

Vote to protect the legacy of OUR president.

Vote against the man who has spent the last 8 years deligitimizing OUR president.

Vote if you EVER acted like you was about the struggle.

Vote because you ain't no privileged nigga.

Vote because at some point, at some time, you wanted somebody to believe you had some sense.

D i Z

NBCNews is reporting that Trump's father told a former sales agent not to rent to black people, but used the n-word and Trump nodded in approval. Not the Trump n-word tape I've been waiting on but we're getting there.

It's just a matter of time before it shows up. These are getting released in phases.

Can you believe this fuckery? I responded in the thread, but it has to be repeated

"White guys only enjoying/relating to games with white guys isn't sexist or racist guys!"

They aren't going to see the irony of statements like this.

... Did I really just read a page of people entertaining the idea of not voting? Really? Well it's your life and your choice, but I'll be damned if I stand by and let that shit be seen as hip.

When you go to bed at night, when you close your eyes, when you come face to face with your ancestors. The ones who fought, and bled, and died. The ones who were raped. The ones who were packed up like sausages and sent overseas to this land. Who either by grace or curse survived the trip. Who marched, and shouted, and screamed, and did everything BUT shut the fuck up. The ones who EARNED this right. The ones who weren't jumping for joy at voting for the slightly racist guy over the VERY racist guy, but voted anyway. Who, when they went to bed at night, dreamed of a better life for you. When you come face to face with them in your shared dreams...

Vote to prove every white person who believes black folk don't really give a shit about any of this wrong.

Vote for black women, who RUN the damn Democratic party, and deserve our support.

Vote against the man who has spent the last 8 years deligitimizing OUR president.

Vote because at some point, at some time, you wanted somebody to believe you had some sense.

Said it better than I could. I had to walk away in disgust and really think about a better way to communicate. Anyone who doesn't vote and then runs up in here looking for a band of fellows to feel good about it had better rethink that.

Ooh you killed them!

Diz back on that article you shared. I definitely feel for that store owner and with how Storm got her into comics is proof that representation matters.

D i Z

Ooh you killed them!

Diz back on that article you shared. I definitely feel for that store owner and with how Storm got her into comics is proof that representation matters.

If I were on the East coast I would seriously consider a visit to her store when the issue drops. I'd just love to shoot the shit with her about Storm if nothing else. I'm betting that Storm was a massive icon for a lot of us when we were kids. Still is.

San Antonio ain't having it.

Thanks for making me feel extra bad for maintaining my religious beliefs.

Also, RIP UnemployedVillian, taken before his time.

Black people not voting, are S rank aint shit niggas.

They passing laws out here to suppress us and you want to make their jobs easier.....GTFO!

RedSwirl

Started finally forming thoughts on Twitter's future and how to "save" it basically while reading this: https://thinkprogress.org/online-abuse-hitting-twitter-where-it-hurts-208d77230b0b#.33nz8wo2f

It basically says Twitter's harassment problem has reached a point where it's damaging the company's profitability. Companies like Disney walked out on the sale because that would hurt the company's family-friendly image.

I think Twitter is pretty important because of its uniqueness as a medium of public discourse. I think certain movements and messages wouldn't have gotten out in the same way without it. I think it's worth saving.

The whole heart of the issue is Twitter's philosophical stance on being a channel that doesn't discriminate certain viewpoints. It started out wanting to be an open channel, sort of like the rest of the internet. Facebook can do this because your posts on Facebook aren't quite as public as they are on Twitter. Facebook isn't an open forum so much as a network of semi-open ones. The problem is 1) most popular forums have rules. If you don't you turn into 4chan. 2) Twitter is trying to be a media company now.

That second part is more important. It's trying to sell it self to the likes of Disney and sign agreements with the NFL. The problem is, media companies don't try to be open channels for all viewpoints. They take stands and try to block communication they think will damage their reputation with the general population. Given that, I think the last line of defense is going to be for Twitter to finally bite the bullet, fundamentally shift its stance on what messages it allows, and take a meat clever to all the harassment.

If it's your religious beliefs, then my opinion shouldn't make you feel bad. I'm not guilted by my faith.
I think it was the combination of the whole "your disgracing your ancestors" bit in combination with others saying non voters aren't welcome here.
For example:
Black people not voting, are S rank aint shit niggas.

They passing laws out here to suppress us and you want to make their jobs easier.....GTFO!

I don't feel bad about not voting at all tbh. Staying politically neutral has saved me numerous headaches this election year to be sure. Can't wait for Hillary to inevitably win so things can go back to normal on the internet.

royalan

I think it was the combination of the whole "your disgracing your ancestors" bit in combination with others saying non voters aren't welcome here. I don't feel bad about not voting at all tbh. Staying politically neutral has saved me numerous headaches this election year to be sure.

It ain't a "bit" it's a fact.

If it's against your religion it's against your religion. But for these others out here...if there is no reason for you not to vote other than you ain't feeling it...nah, bruh. Ain't nodding along to that.

You see people not paying their bills bragging about it?
You see people not taking care of their kids bragging about it?
You see people taking Ls over other niggas bragging about it?

So yeah, if you're not voting and think that shit's cute think again. Ain't nothing cute about taking Ls.

Slayven

Started finally forming thoughts on Twitter's future and how to "save" it basically while reading this: https://thinkprogress.org/online-abuse-hitting-twitter-where-it-hurts-208d77230b0b#.33nz8wo2f

It basically says Twitter's harassment problem has reached a point where it's damaging the company's profitability. Companies like Disney walked out on the sale because that would hurt the company's family-friendly image.

I think Twitter is pretty important because of its uniqueness as a medium of public discourse. I think certain movements and messages wouldn't have gotten out in the same way without it. I think it's worth saving.

The whole heart of the issue is Twitter's philosophical stance on being a channel that doesn't discriminate certain viewpoints. It started out wanting to be an open channel, sort of like the rest of the internet. Facebook can do this because your posts on Facebook aren't quite as public as they are on Twitter. Facebook isn't an open forum so much as a network of semi-open ones. The problem is 1) most popular forums have rules. If you don't you turn into 4chan. 2) Twitter is trying to be a media company now.

That second part is more important. It's trying to sell it self to the likes of Disney and sign agreements with the NFL. The problem is, media companies don't try to be open channels for all viewpoints. They take stands and try to block communication they think will damage their reputation with the general population. Given that, I think the last line of defense is going to be for Twitter to finally bite the bullet, fundamentally shift its stance on what messages it allows, and take a meat clever to all the harassment.

Damn good article. It is interesting as fuck. Companies are so gunshy about their brands, they don't want them problems.

On one hand, the idea of Twitter flushing out remaining GG'ers, Neo-Nazis and active trolls fills me with a warm fuzzy feeling, it's worrying that twitter might lose It's openness. There have been some great anti corporation movements on twitter that brought real change, and hashtags that forced companies to stop in their tracks. I'm fearful of the idea that corporate sponsors could potentially shut off conversation that makes them look bad.

If I were on the East coast I would seriously consider a visit to her store when the issue drops. I'd just love to shoot the shit with her about Storm if nothing else. I'm betting that Storm was a massive icon for a lot of us when we were kids. Still is.

San Antonio ain't having it.

Shit, if I ever get a chance to visit Philly, best believe I'd go in there and show her my support. I support black owned businesses.

D i Z

Ernie Shaq Kenny and that other shithead should have done themselves a favor and not discussed what they would do during the anthem, and was it right Colin to do it.

Ernie Shaq Kenny and that other shithead should have done themselves a favor and not discussed what they would do during the anthem, and was it right Colin to do it.
Shit really upset me. I'm tired of Charles Barkley ain't shit ass. Get that buffoon off my tv. Take that Tom shit back to Alabama.

Aiustis

It ain't a "bit" it's a fact.

If it's against your religion it's against your religion. But for these others out here...if there is no reason for you not to vote other than you ain't feeling it...nah, bruh. Ain't nodding along to that.

You see people not paying their bills bragging about it?
You see people not taking care of their kids bragging about it?
You see people taking Ls over other niggas bragging about it?

So yeah, if you're not voting and think that shit's cute think again. Ain't nothing cute about taking Ls.

Bravo.

At least vote local at all costs. Those are the ones people are skipping.

Kreed

They just had 300 layoffs yesterday too. Besides the problems you're addressing here, the other problem Twitter is having right now is growing it's user base in recent years vs rivals like Instagram which has already surpassed it at around 500+ million users vs Twitters 300+ million, and that's not even close to Facebook's billion+. So besides getting rid of the abusive users, they also need to make upgrades to the platform to make it more attractive again for the average user.

Your posts are always on point.

Also is that a new GAF tag? I'm still trying to figure out what I need to do to get one of those bad boys to stand out.

Sch1sm

You know what grates on me about this election? People saying their vote doesn't matter. I know Canada's system isn't a mirror to America's, but we had our highest voter turnout in decades and strategic voting is how we ended up with the a Liberal majority instead of an NDP/Liberal vote split for the left with a minority Conservative win.

E: Essentially, showing up and voting for the most likely to win candidate isn't useless no matter how statistically insignificant you feel considering we run a First Past The Post system. 🙃

P04OpML.jpg

Trey

abusive power is allowed to propagate itself because the people remain passive, apathetic.

Staying politically neutral has saved me numerous headaches this election year to be sure.

what is politically neutral? I'm positive you have opinions on every single issue there is concerning this country.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
On one hand, the idea of Twitter flushing out remaining GG'ers, Neo-Nazis and active trolls fills me with a warm fuzzy feeling, it's worrying that twitter might lose It's openness. There have been some great anti corporation movements on twitter that brought real change, and hashtags that forced companies to stop in their tracks. I'm fearful of the idea that corporate sponsors could potentially shut off conversation that makes them look bad.

For anyone to buy twitter, they are going to be forced to clean house. That is going to have an effect of making it less open. Hell, I have heard some suggesting making twitter a subscription service. I don't know what the answer is, but twitter isn't going to survive in it's current state regardless.

As far as people not voting, it's your right to not do so, but remember that we are the most targeted, feared, and exploited racial group in this country. Mobilizing and voting is much more powerful and long lasting than a Facebook or Twitter post. In my county, just getting 200 people mobilized can change the outcome of an election. We have some measures that we feel pretty passionately about we don't want to pass. So sitting back and not being active isn't an option right now. Voting changes your life of a local level.

Bronx-Man

Banned

Twitter seems to be a living example of how Silicon Valley's obsession with 'free speech' has become cancerous to itself.

Kreed

Let SENPAIatLARGE be on the voting. If it's his beliefs it's his beliefs. At least he's in here defending himself vs alleyezonme who hasn't been back in here since he started the whole discussion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom