• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT17| - Thanks, Obama

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fuck souls

BornWild-FrontCover-Final325-325x496.jpg

Souls games and Monster Hunter games are "hard" for the same reason. The controls are designed you have to fight them every step of the way
shaking_head_breaking_bad.gif

Dark Souls, and especially bloodborne has fantastic controls that emphasizes quick and precise decision making. Im sorry if you can't win by mashing square like it's dynasty warriors. And here I thought you played skill based games.

Fuck souls
Ludwig.png

I just came back from seeing Hidden Figures a little bit ago. Pretty damn good movie! All three of them did their thang and I especially have to give Janelle Monae her props because this is the first time I've seen her act in anything.

The impact of those three women is still present today as
tumblr_inline_oky06huxkA1t0jnq1_500.gif

As a Rocket Structural Design and Analysis Engineer for the Space Launch System that aerospace company Boeing is building for NASA, Guinn designs and analyzes parts of a rocket that she said will be one of the biggest and most powerful in history.

Guinn, whose career trajectory seems like a sequel to the much-acclaimed “Hidden Figures” movie, has been aspiring to become an aerospace engineer since she was a child.

History in the making.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry...c59be4b0c1284f25c913?section=us_black-voices&

There was a video too, but I can't seem to find it. The original source is gone.

Slayven

shaking_head_breaking_bad.gif

Dark Souls, and especially bloodborne has fantastic controls that emphasizes quick and precise decision making. Im sorry if you can't win by mashing square like it's dynasty warriors. And here I thought you played skill based games.

Ludwig.png

Japan hasn't made a skilled based game since Super Ghouls and Goblins

zeemumu

Maybe it's cause I'm old and grew up on the NES that makes me think it's just a game about figuring things out. I mean it's a third person action game not super meat boy

It kinda is about figuring stuff out. The intro and character dialogue give you very little of the story, so you have to figure the rest out through item descriptions. First-time players tend to get punished harder because they aren't ready for stuff like ambushes and pitfalls and mimics, and virtually any enemy in the game can kill a cocky player regardless of your level. That and your very limited healing capability mean that you have to out-think stronger opponents instead of brute-forcing them.

Bloodborne doubles down on that by removing the ability to block using a shield, so dodge timing and parry mastery are key.

Those games are best at making challenges that seem downright impossible but are actually doable.

Take this guy for example

UvqROz.gif

0723fed16019ec7789d4c7ba05de2069.jpg

Totally killable.

Numb

Plus you can just brute force your way through both games by getting a good shield in souls and stocking up on blood vials on Bloodborne.

I got the giant sword from the first Dark Knight in DS1 and finished the game with it
Helped it fit my playstyle
People just gotta pay attention and also not get baited towards cliffs and such

Slayven

Tyrese is playing a priest, we all going to hell.

No wonder live action Martian Manhunter is a black man. J'onn is no stranger to the melanin.

J'onn always been about the minorities. He is more loved in Central and South America then Superman. He is pretty much the national hero of Brazil and Japan.

LionPride

Banned
I've always liked the joke that everyone should have known Martian Manhunter wasn't from here because he chose to be a black man in a shitty city when he came to Earth

Y'all say Dark Souls and Bloodborne ain't difficult but I bought Demons Souls at launch and still ain't pass 2-1...

The games are fucking hard yo.

Slayven

Martian Manhunter fucked his cousin's fiancee on their weding night and told her to go back to the cousin the next morning.

Y'all say Dark Souls and Bloodborne ain't difficult but I bought Demons Souls at launch and still ain't pass 2-1...

The games are fucking hard yo.

That shit is hard. People just like to self-flagellate and climb Everest.

Bloodborne is the more enjoyable of From Software's games, because combat is a bit faster and more aggressive.

Numb

That shit is hard. People just like to self-flagellate and climb Everest.

Bloodborne is the more enjoyable of From Software's games, because combat is a bit faster and more aggressive.

Going from living behind a shield to getting thrown out in the open made Bloodborne alittle harder for me
But you get used to it quick

RedSwirl

It kinda is about figuring stuff out. The intro and character dialogue give you very little of the story, so you have to figure the rest out through item descriptions. First-time players tend to get punished harder because they aren't ready for stuff like ambushes and pitfalls and mimics, and virtually any enemy in the game can kill a cocky player regardless of your level. That and your very limited healing capability mean that you have to out-think stronger opponents instead of brute-forcing them.

Bloodborne doubles down on that by removing the ability to block using a shield, so dodge timing and parry mastery are key.

Those games are best at making challenges that seem downright impossible but are actually doable.

Games these days are built on giving people as much up-front information as possible and holding their hands so they don't get frustrated four hours in and trade the game back in at GameStop. The only difference with Souls is it doesn't give a shit about that and is built pretty much the same way action games were built up until the 360. Part of the game is figuring shit out, and most people don't like doing that anymore.

If Dark Souls had come out as-is any time between maybe 1998 and 2005 it would probably be looked at as just an above-average third person action game with some cool gimmicks, not a cult phenomenon.

Edit: I still haven't tried Bloodborne yet because I can't bring myself to spend money on online gaming, but I learned to give up the shield in Dark Souls 3 (and my 2nd Demon's Souls character).

Zekes!

Dark Souls III was the first time I got to enjoy a Souls game for myself.

I introduced my friends to Demon's Souls, as my buddy had a PS3 and I didn't. Picked the game up for $20 and we played it at his house and we were like "damn, this shit is crazy". Went back 2 weeks later, having left it there, and him and our other friend had progressed deep into the game and knew all this shit about it. When I went to play they just told me where to go and what was gonna happen and shit. I wasn't able to experience the game for myself.

Dark Souls was the same way. By the time I got to it, they had eaten it up already and fed me all this advice and shit. I'm not the type of dude to be bothered by spoilers, but a big aspect of those games is experiencing it for yourself IMO, and those two games were ruined for me in that way.

There was Dark Souls 2, but I fell off that game hard. Was damn excited to experience it fresh for myself, but it was disappointing.

That's why I count DS3 as being my first fresh Souls experience.

Malyse

Souls fans are some of the worst though. Every game doesn't need to be Souls. No I don't want a Zelda that plays like Souls. I want a Zelda that plays like Zelda. I don't want a Kingdom Hearts that plays like Souls. I want a Kingdom Hearts with ridiculous over the top flash.
Hey, at least we got free health care. One of the nice perks of living in a heathen non American country.

But, you're not American.
twitter_cards_potus.jpg

LionPride

Banned
Souls fans are some of the worst though. Every game doesn't need to be Souls. No I don't want a Zelda that plays like Souls. I want a Zelda that plays like Zelda. I don't want a Kingdom Hearts that plays like Souls. I want a Kingdom Hearts with ridiculous over the top flash.

Nope, it gotta play like Souls. Or else it's trash.

Also if you are not doing a Souls playthrough the exact correct way, you're garbage and need to do better

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom