• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT17| - Thanks, Obama

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zekes!

Found out today that the homeschool program I work for is closing come June. It's unfortunate, but I shouldn't have too much issue finding a new job, as I'm technically contracted through the organization that provides us with funding, and since I'm already in their databases I can transition into doing private tutoring (which actually pays more).

I definitely feel bad for the kids I work with though...they're all on the autism spectrum (or have severe learning disabilities that were misdiagnosed) and there's no way they can succeed in traditional public schools (many of them came to us from them because public school didn't work for them). Our program also provides them a chance to socialize in a way they wouldn't get if they were completely home schooled, and most of them are good friends.

I'm hoping we can go out with a bang for these kids.

Slayven

Found out today that the homeschool program I work for is closing come June. It's unfortunate, but I shouldn't have too much issue finding a new job, as I'm technically contracted through the organization that provides us with funding, and since I'm already in their databases I can transition into doing private tutoring (which actually pays more).

I definitely feel bad for the kids I work with though...they're all on the autism spectrum (or have severe learning disabilities that were misdiagnosed) and there's no way they can succeed in traditional public schools (many of them came to us from them because public school didn't work for them). Our program also provides them a chance to socialize in a way they wouldn't get if they were completely home schooled, and most of them are good friends.

Damn that hurts my soul

That fucking sucks. It sounds like a great program, why is it shutting down?

You good people, Zekes..

Mizerman

Shit...

Man, that's terrible.

Nudull

Banned
TIL Andrew Garfield is jewish. Huh, neat.

I feel for you,, man. -hug-

Sorry to hear that man, hope something comes through for you and the kids.

D i Z

Damn, is it ending over funding issues? I mean, if there was a way, is there a will to keep it going?

So Milo going to be on Bill Mahr.

Always told you Bill was trash

He had Tomi L on the other day. She was out of her depth as always, but these are the people that Bill will get on from here on out. They bring the viewers.

Slayven

Damn, is it ending over funding issues? I mean, if there was a way, is there a will to keep it going?

He had Tomi L on the other day. She was out of her depth as always, but these are the people that Bill will get on from here on out. They bring the viewers.

The liberals that say Bill does it "the right way"

Listening to a podcast and a person talked about a visual mistake in Hidden Figures of the scene destroying the colors sign on a bathroom should have been a destruction of the whites only sign instead. Because if you took it for it's own thing it's a white man destroying a black space instead of removing the segregation of a white one

Zekes!

Damn that hurts my soul

You good people, Zekes..

Shit...

Man, that's terrible.

TIL Andrew Garfield is jewish. Huh, neat.

I feel for you,, man. -hug-

Sorry to hear that man, hope something comes through for you and the kids.

Thanks ya'll, I appreciate it. For me it's more an inconvenience; there's a good chance I'll come outta this doing private tutoring and making more money, but I just gotta put in the leg work to set it up. There's the possibility that I end up getting contracted privately by one of the families of the kids I already work with, so it might just fall together for me. Again, I feel bad for the kids though. This was like their shot at a somewhat "typical" schooling experience.

That fucking sucks. It sounds like a great program, why is it shutting down?

Yup, it's just funding. We're funded by a larger home schooling program that services about 1200 kids, and we work with about 13. The organization that funds us doesn't feel that we as a program really fit their vision of education, which is supposed to be driven by the kids and their families, where as the families are fairly disconnected from us at our program (which is a pro and a con). We also weren't the only program funded by this organization, apparently there were about 27 when we first opened but now we are one of the two left.

I think if we had the funding we'd keep going, but the writing was on the wall. As one of my bosses said, it's better that our funders pulled the plug before we did. My bosses have been coming into conflict with the parents quite often recently, as the parents don't necessarily appreciate the work we do or understand the capabilities of their child. Like some parents expect their kid, who might be 16 and has a grade 3 reading ability to graduate high school on time. Shit just isn't feasible and puts more stress on the kid.

It was definitely a unique job; it was a lot like working in a school without the same confines as a traditional public school. Like if I was feeling lazy, I could sit and play board games with the kids instead of teaching social studies, and I've been paid to spend my entire day playing outdoor laser tag. I'll miss this job for sure.

This kills me man. Glad you'll land on your feet but I feel so bad for those kids.

D i Z

Yup, it's just funding. We're funded by a larger home schooling program that services about 1200 kids, and we work with about 13. The organization that funds us doesn't feel that we as a program really fit their vision of education, which is supposed to be driven by the kids and their families, where as the families are fairly disconnected from us at our program (which is a pro and a con). We also weren't the only program funded by this organization, apparently there were about 27 when we first opened but now we are one of the two left.

I think if we had the funding we'd keep going, but the writing was on the wall. As one of my bosses said, it's better that our funders pulled the plug before we did. My bosses have been coming into conflict with the parents quite often recently, as the parents don't necessarily appreciate the work we do or understand the capabilities of their child. Like some parents expect their kid, who might be 16 and has a grade 3 reading ability to graduate high school on time. Shit just isn't feasible and puts more stress on the kid.

It was definitely a unique job; it was a lot like working in a school without the same confines as a traditional public school. Like if I was feeling lazy, I could sit and play board games with the kids instead of teaching social studies, and I've been paid to spend my entire day playing outdoor laser tag. I'll miss this job for sure.

I'm really sorry it shook out like that. Like you said, hopefully the kids aren't left to swing in the wind ad get picked up.

Ewwwwwwwww.

I can't imagine someone knocking boots with her Crypt Keeper looking ass.

That would sell to the liberal market and break records.

Dereck

https://imgur.com/a/QayNb

FVAxP8U.png

Watched Imperial with John Boyega today and the grocery store scene from Strapped. I think I'm tired of black movies centered around crime and gang violence. That movie was good and my first exposure to Boyega, but even before I hit play I just felt the weight. That Strapped scene was some ignorant shit though. There's nothing inherently wrong with these, it's just when you have so many with little variety when it feels like it's portraying negativity or a bad image of us.

Why we can't get some sci-fi or fantasy films with an all black cast?

jmood88

Anyone having any stand out recommendations music wise? Lupe kinda flopped and Jidenna isn't out until Friday.
I'm including one of my favorite songs from each album so you have an idea how it sounds:

Little Simz- Stillness in Wonderland
https://youtu.be/mYDiTZ4By4w

Josef Leimberg- Astral Progressions
https://youtu.be/1DpG131-nT8

Oddisee- The Odd Tape
https://youtu.be/VZGsdyIXC9Y

Tycho- Epoch
https://youtu.be/LqSmeIDOMmk

Ainslie Wills- Oh The Gold
https://soundcloud.com/ainsliewills/drive-2

Phony Ppl- Yesterday's Tomorrow
https://youtu.be/0Y6Uy_-hJRQ

Tiron & Ayomari- The Great New Wonderful
https://youtu.be/ovG-_r3rE8E

Taylor McFerrin- Early Riser
https://youtu.be/5CEocRDSXn8

Anyone have experience buying used consoles on ebay? I wanna buy a PS2 because I foolishly sold mine many years ago. I don't wanna buy one with a disc read error message. :/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom