• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT17| - Thanks, Obama

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zekes!

I was going to think IPAs but my Hotep friend only drinks Hard Cider

Dude comes through with Angry Orchard every time

P1axUoe.jpg

"What IPAs do you have on tap?"

Shy

You need to eat more yams. In order to truly unit your Nubian king self with your queen, you must clarify the toxins from your body. I can sell you a unification kit for 25 dollars that will strengthen your household and free your mind from the man.
w8QXBeV.gif

LotusHD

Banned
Trying to imagine NIOH with a black protagonist and the reactions to that

Whole time I thought it was kinda weird that they had this blue-eyed, clearly white dude in this game that heavily utilizes Japanese folklore. But then I recently read that apparently he's now Irish, because there's this whole cultural thing about the Irish people and spirits:

Why did you decide to change William's ancestry from English to Irish?

We understand that the Irish have a culture of spirits and one of the premises behind William's character is his ability to see yokai/ spiritual characters so that's why we made him Irish

So now I'm like... Okay, sure lol

It's whatever, I just found it amusing that the protagonist wasn't Asian, gave me some "The Last Samurai" vibes lol

akira28

Whole time I thought it was kinda weird that they had this blue-eyed, clearly white dude in this game that heavily utilizes Japanese folklore. But then I recently read that apparently he's now Irish, because there's this whole cultural thing about the Irish people and spirits:

Let a black man see some spirits and it becomes that evil and much feared voodoo. I guess it checks out, those peaceful nature loving, tree hugging, human sacrificing druids are much more family friendly.

I mean the protag is based off a real person. Plus the main character being an outsider is great exposition bait.
that dude was a shipbuilder, lol, not a fighter. funny that that whole legend of Shogun! and white man in Japan is built on his foundation.

And he did get a pretty sweet deal, certainly a subject worthy of western fantasy.

Rembrandt

Banned
Whats wrong with a Jack and Coke :( (I have never had Henny.)

Nothing at all, but if somebody you with is getting a Henny or henny & coke, you should do the same. Henny goes so well with coke and it's not bad on its own. It's just more expensive sadly.

Broke up with my girlfriend. Fuck.

Sorry to hear it. You break it off or her? Iirc, you're young and we're around the same age. Shit definitely sucks but it opens up some of the most random doors and opportunities.

I hear you in the whiskey and coke, but not to big a fan of Henny anymore.

What's the story behind it? Lmao.

LionPride

Banned
Nothing at all, but if somebody you with is getting a Henny or henny & coke, you should do the same. Henny goes so well with coke and it's not bad on its own. It's just more expensive sadly.

Sorry to hear it. You break it off or her? Iirc, you're young and we're around the same age. Shit definitely sucks but it opens up some of the most random doors and opportunities.

What's the story behind it? Lmao.

I hear you in the whiskey and coke, but not to big a fan of Henny anymore.

Sorry to hear that.

Shit my man, sorry to hear that

Sucks, bud..there will be others.
Thing is...I broke up with her because I'd rather cut it off now and not later because I'm scared. I'm scared of the reality where I love this girl and then poof, we're nothing.

I don't know

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
Thing is...I broke up with her because I'd rather cut it off now and not later because I'm scared. I'm scared of the reality where I love this girl and then poof, we're nothing.

I don't know

unbiased opinion

you either are shook as fuck and have issues that aint got shit to do with her or you leaving out a significant amount of detail

+10 on both

Rembrandt

Banned
I've never had henny

I don't drink

That's reasonable then. Don't let your first drink be henny. There's a reason why they sat hennything is possible.

unbiased opinion

you either are shook as fuck and have issues that aint got shit to do with her or you leaving out a significant amount of detail

+10 on both

Straight up.

Unless there's a significant reason, like different schools or something, then that's not a good reason. You can't be scared of progression in a relationship because most of them are gonna end up with you two getting very close and then becoming nothing. That's life and dating. It's a great and sad thing. You gotta embrace both aspects.

LionPride

Banned
unbiased opinion

+10 on both
I have committment issues, I don't want a whole lotta ties when I go off to college. That's about it. I'm the type of person who would cut his arm off now if he knew it was gonna be cut off 6 months down the road.

Rembrandt

Banned
I have committment issues, I don't want a whole lotta ties when I go off to college. That's about it. I'm the type of person who would cut his arm off now if he knew it was gonna be cut off 6 months down the road.

Idk you're going to two separate colleges then you're 90% right to cut it off early. It doesn't work. I ended up breaking up with an ex the first weekend she came up.

DY_nasty

You could've cut it off when the need arose imo

I mean, I'm the king of making up excuses to break up with people. Thing is I don't feel about it. If you care, you should probably nail down why and label/box that but I don't know shit about your situation. I just know that if you feel bad about shit you do, you should at least figure out why and not pin it on other shit.

Cutting off people and arms are different

LionPride

Banned
You could've cut it off when the need arose imo

I mean, I'm the king of making up excuses to break up with people. Thing is I don't feel about it. If you care, you should probably nail down why and label/box that but I don't know shit about your situation. I just know that if you feel bad about shit you do, you should at least figure out why and not pin it on other shit.

Cutting off people and arms are different
She's my best friend so I don't plan on losing her fully. My mental health ain't been right for a bit, really since we talked about us breaking up before college. The need came up when my mental health was fucked again. I still feel bad for screwing over my other ex, but I know exactly why that was me almost crying every couple of weeks.

DY_nasty

She's my best friend so I don't plan on losing her fully. My mental health ain't been right for a bit, really since we talked about us breaking up before college. The need came up when my mental health was fucked again. I still feel bad for screwing over my other ex, but I know exactly why that was me almost crying every couple of weeks.

Mental health ain't no joke, but one thing that always gets skipped on (and mental health itself is a huge pothole in the black community) is how it effects others around you as well. I say this not to distract you from that obvious priority, but as a reminder that people who know or don't know notice (with or without the actual name of 'mental health') and involve themselves in you. Invest in you. Sometimes you need to be selfish and that's a good thing, but at the same time it benefits you to at least acknowledge that before amputating anything.

When someone invests in that part of you and in the part of you that is that relationship, you're getting into heavy shit.

But hey if you got a handle on it, all the better. Just don't ever run from calling things what they are. The day you get comfortable playing yourself you're fucked.

Rembrandt

Banned
If you got a good tweet and you mispell something, do you:

A) let it ride

B) delete it and tweet something else

C) delete it and tweet it back corrected?

LionPride

Banned
Mental health ain't no joke, but one thing that always gets skipped on (and mental health itself is a huge pothole in the black community) is how it effects others around you as well. I say this not to distract you from that obvious priority, but as a reminder that people who know or don't know notice (with or without the actual name of 'mental health') and involve themselves in you. Invest in you. Sometimes you need to be selfish and that's a good thing, but at the same time it benefits you to at least acknowledge that before amputating anything.

When someone invests in that part of you and in the part of you that is that relationship, you're getting into heavy shit.

But hey if you got a handle on it, all the better. Just don't ever run from calling things what they are. The day you get comfortable playing yourself you're fucked.
Yeah, you right. I'm not the type to say a decision I made wasn't my fault or I didn't do anything. I admit when I fucked up, when I'm a bad person. What's the point in lying to myself. I made this decision despite the fact I will still feel something for this girl because I needed to.

DY_nasty

Yeah, you right. I'm not the type to say a decision I made wasn't my fault or I didn't do anything. I admit when I fucked up, when I'm a bad person. What's the point in lying to myself. I made this decision despite the fact I will still feel something for this girl because I needed to.
You gonna be alright breh

Rembrandt

Banned
Is getting help for mental health cheap? That's a legitimate question btw

Ehh. Insurance paid for the initial visits and I avoided therapy, so my pills came out to a little over $100 without insurance but free for the generics with insurance and like $25 for the name brand. Mine are NDRI instead of SSRI, though.

I would imagine it getting pricy if you went for consistent therapist meetings.

Akainu

I just found out that in the late 1500s, there was a tall black samurai who served under Nobunaga.

Remind people of that next time they talk bullshit about "historical accuracy" and black actors not being cast.

Also, apparently he was skilled and sick as fuck.
The thing that gets me most is that this man hasn't been in Sengoku Basara. The game literally has a gundam as a character, a man changed into a sexy gunslinger lady, a woman possessed by shadow demons, a priest with a robot, a guy that uses a massive ball and chain as a weapon and treats horses like motorcycles all while taking a piss on the laws of physics. Yet the black guy is missing.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
This whole week my nerves been on a rollercoaster.

I hope donald at least legalizes weed before he eventually gets impeached. We need some sort of reparation for all of this bs hes done.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom