• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT17| - Thanks, Obama

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slayven

Man if Switch ever gets a pokerman game...

obamasweat.jpg

CazVTsK.png

Nudull

Banned
Since that man made that joke about that frog, I ain't seen that tapdancing SOB. The frog disappeared in 05 after being called racist

I remember that bit. I didn't even realize that was a thing with the WB and their black actors when I was younger. Pretty fucked up, in hindsight.

Kreed

Since that man made that joke about that frog, I ain't seen that tapdancing SOB. The frog disappeared in 05 after being called racist

And that was during the time the WB was in the "cater to Black and Latino audiences first, build up a base and then switch to White audiences and become mainstream" period.

akira28

And that was during the time the WB was in the "cater to Black and Latino audiences first, build up a base and then switch to White audiences and become mainstream" period.

It was ingenious. "Them niggas ain't got no place to go." So they found Brothers in Outer Space or whatever else they had, put it on a low traffic frequency channel and they knew they had a TV network.

then by the time it was Gilmore Girls and Supernatural "Them niggas ain't got no place to go", and dragged everyone along for their ride into "prime time".

coincidentally, it lines up with the period when Fox was also getting rid of a lot of its minority star based programming as well.

LionPride

Banned
I'm not saying that UPN was the U People Network with Girlfriends, One on One, Everybody Hates Chris, Homeboys in Outer Space, Malcolm & Eddie, The Parkers, Half & Half, but uhh....yeah

When I was like 4 and 5 UPN was just Black Comedies, WWE Smackdown, Veronica Mars, and America's Next Top Model while The WB was where ALL of the white people shit was. Gilmore Girls, 7th Heaven, Angel, Smallville, Supernatural, Reba, Sabrina, and some black stuff like The Jamie Foxx Show dispersed in there.

At least when The CW became a thing The Game was on there. It was good, then it got moved to BET...

Holy shit looking at the list of shows on The WB is like a blast from the past.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Only reason I really played attention to UPN was Star Trek. And wrestling. And Everybody Hates Chris.

Yeah, UPN was the Star Trek network for sure. The network literally launched with the Voyager pilot.

And you can thank Brandy for all the black comedies on UPN, since Moesha was one of their most successful show starting out.

Numb

I am telling y'all the whiplash from the switch launch will be something special
Everybody loves drama
Atleast those outside and just viewing

*checks year tv show began...checks Jessia Biels birthdate*

one thing is, you never expect the dad from those shows.
Older seasons..
Don't go wild

Wasn't he acting as a priest in the show or something?
Can't remember

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom