• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT17| - Thanks, Obama

Status
Not open for further replies.

Malyse

C6H4fr9VAAA39H2.jpg

Man the 90s really killed off the black sitcom, like one day hollywood woke up and decided we can only be wacky coworkers

Yeah, there were so many back then: Martin, Fresh Prince, Family Matters, Moesha, Amen, Sister Sister, Jamie Foxx Show, The Wayans Bros, Malcolm & Eddie, A Different World, Living Single, Roc, My Brother and Me, Hanging with Mr. Cooper, The Parent Hood, The Steve Harvey Show, Kenan & Kel, Cousin Skeeter

Then it slowed down a bit in the 2000s: Girlfriends, One on One, Everybody Hates Chris, The Parkers, All of Us, Bernie Mac, Eve, and Half & Half

and then now I think all we got is Black-ish?

The last one I was invested in was Everybody Hates Chris.

Just thought I should corroborate that Zelda is the truth. This refurb Wii U has been living its best life.

The hardware has been ass since jump street - I got in with MK8 a couple years back - but the software (re: Nintendo sequels) accumulated over time. Lots of best in series on this thing.

We'll see if Zelda is another one - first four exploratory hours are a good start.

Would've been mad to pay full price for this thing but def necessary if ya just want Nintendo games. I only have time for a handful of those, arcadey games on ps4 and sfv/marvel but my stick is broken so Zelda is right on time.

^^^I really need to start watching Blackish huh? I didn't like it giving away secrets and lore like the head nod in the second episode

akira28

JC invited Armando White to see Get Out, even promises to bring two girls for a double date. Armando shows up, JC only has one girl, and has forgotten his wallet.

JC told his best friend he got him a copy of that new Zelda for his birthday. Showed up with it and it was The Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks wrapped in it's original wrapping

ChamplooJones

Formerly Momotaro
Yeah, there were so many back then: Martin, Fresh Prince, Family Matters, Moesha, Amen, Sister Sister, Jamie Foxx Show, The Wayans Bros, Malcolm & Eddie, A Different World, Living Single, Roc, My Brother and Me, Hanging with Mr. Cooper, The Parent Hood, The Steve Harvey Show, Kenan & Kel, Cousin Skeeter

Then it slowed down a bit in the 2000s: Girlfriends, One on One, Everybody Hates Chris, The Parkers, All of Us, Bernie Mac, Eve, and Half & Half

and then now I think all we got is Black-ish?

The last one I was invested in was Everybody Hates Chris.
We don't talk about that show here.

LionPride

Banned
Man people setting up to hate on Iron Fist, I feel like i am in bizzaro land. When Gaf talks the netflix shows

It looks the worst out of the MCU joints so far, but until they fail...I got faith.

Folks seem to want to hate it since Danny is a white guy instead of Asian.

LionPride

Banned
Their worst is still better than everyone's best

What is their worst really? In terms of the movies it's IM 2 or Thor 2, and they're still competently made movies

In terms of TV it's Episodes 1-15 of SHIELD or the last few episodes of Luke Cage, and that's still alright.

Slayven

Idk why people down on Luke Cage. Yeah the last 3 EPS ain't too hot but it's still a great action show with dynamite action choreography.

I think a good amount of the hate is from the way people watch them. by the last 3 eps people are watching them just to get them over with.

Kreed

JC invited Armando White to see Get Out, even promises to bring two girls for a double date. Armando shows up, JC only has one girl, and has forgotten his wallet.

JC got himself and Momma Feenix Essence Festival tickets and gave Feenix a 3 day trial for Tidal that expired in December 2016.

Yes it's because Danny isn't Asian. This is also linked to the Ancient One mess for Doctor Strange. Now, writers have created great Iron Fist stories, and the Cage/Fist friendship is legendary. But honestly, Iron Fist is a throwback to the "white guy who learns a skill from another culture and outdoes the people in that culture" trope. It's problematic.

Marvel has made great strides in representation of black people in their comics and the MCU (movie and TV). Captain America is now black. Spider-Man is now black. The Black Panther movie is going to be The Event in 2018. And the Luke Cage show on Netflix was a best seller. And in order to do all this, Marvel had to retool and look at their black characters and their portrayal of black characters in a modern way and bring things up to date.

So. Some Asian Americans see all this and want the same thing. They have the new Hulk! They have Ms. Marvel! Things are looking good, and then...The Ancient One. They are still probably side eyeing Marvel for the Mandarin, but that was nothing next to this. I guess they thought that Marvel would find a way to pull off "respectful but representative", like they managed to do with Benedict Wong as...Wong. But Marvel punted to Tilda Swinton. Asian American actors are hurting for work, now one part they could get is taken by a white woman who is always working.

And here comes Danny Rand, the David Carradine of comic book characters. A white man stealing their cultural lunch. So, if Samuel L. Jackson can play Nick Fury and Idris Elba can play Heimdall, then Danny Rand can be Asian, right? Make him a kid who is distant from his culture and earning the Iron Fist is his journey back to his roots. How much is Rand being white shaping the character? Is it the rich kid part that makes him have to be white (and man, Arrow TV show fans must be confused right now), much like how Bruce Wayne being an old money rich white kid shapes his character?

TL:DR Some Asian American comic fans want Danny Rand to be Asian, and I'm cool with that.

akira28

i'm ok with it too. I mean...*shrug*. It doesn't hurt nothin, takes nothing away, and it only makes it better actually. So why not?

Idk why people down on Luke Cage. Yeah the last 3 EPS ain't too hot but it's still a great action show with dynamite action choreography.
Yeah, I'm rewatching it right now and still good shit. I'm ready for Defenders to get here so I can find out how Luke comes back.

Yes it's because Danny isn't Asian. This is also linked to the Ancient One mess for Doctor Strange. Now, writers have created great Iron Fist stories, and the Cage/Fist friendship is legendary. But honestly, Iron Fist is a throwback to the "white guy who learns a skill from another culture and outdoes the people in that culture" trope. It's problematic.

Marvel has made great strides in representation of black people in their comics and the MCU (movie and TV). Captain America is now black. Spider-Man is now black. The Black Panther movie is going to be The Event in 2018. And the Luke Cage show on Netflix was a best seller. And in order to do all this, Marvel had to retool and look at their black characters and their portrayal of black characters in a modern way and bring things up to date.

So. Some Asian Americans see all this and want the same thing. They have the new Hulk! They have Ms. Marvel! Things are looking good, and then...The Ancient One. They are still probably side eyeing Marvel for the Mandarin, but that was nothing next to this. I guess they thought that Marvel would find a way to pull off "respectful but representative", like they managed to do with Benedict Wong as...Wong. But Marvel punted to Tilda Swinton. Asian American actors are hurting for work, now one part they could get is taken by a white woman who is always working.

And here comes Danny Rand, the David Carradine of comic book characters. A white man stealing their cultural lunch. So, if Samuel L. Jackson can play Nick Fury and Idris Elba can play Heimdall, then Danny Rand can be Asian, right? Make him a kid who is distant from his culture and earning the Iron Fist is his journey back to his roots. How much is Rand being white shaping the character? Is it the rich kid part that makes him have to be white (and man, Arrow TV show fans must be confused right now), much like how Bruce Wayne being an old money rich white kid shapes his character?

TL:DR Some Asian American comic fans want Danny Rand to be Asian, and I'm cool with that.

I can understand it. I heard both sides. Some Asians don't want it because it can be seen as another stereotypical role with an Asian lead that's a martial arts master, but some others like you said thinks it would be a great opportunity to have an Asian in the lead role.

I am worried about it after watching that Colleen Wing clip.

LotusHD

Banned
Idk why people down on Luke Cage. Yeah the last 7 EPS ain't too hot but it's still a great action show with dynamite action choreography.

Fixed.

Not that I hated it to the extent that some on GAF apparently do, but yea, quality went down a cliff
as soon as Cottonmouth died. Them killing him was ballsy as fuck and I thought it was going somewhere, but they ruined it replacing him with fucking Diamondback. Dude just ruined the show for me with his antics, and that was on top of the admittedly sluggish pacing that I couldn't help but notice. But yea, Diamondback, pretty much hated nearly everything about him, because his whole demeanor just didn't match the rest of the show.

It's lame because I was really poised to have it be my new favorite Netflix Marvel show, especially because there's several things in the show that I easily can relate to, and then shit just hits the fan unfortunately. It did get a lot right though, no doubt about that.

Luke Cage and Iron Fist was always more Lethal Weapon then Rush Hour. Danny's one of the few characters I would not want to be racially changed. Hes a dopey white guy that despite his amazing powers continues to make a fool of himself. It pairs well with Luke Cage's no nonsense approach to crime fighting.

Luke Cage and Iron Fist was always more Lethal Weapon then Rush Hour. Danny's one of the few characters I would not want to be racially changed. Hes a dopey white guy that despite his amazing powers continues to make a fool of himself. It pairs well with Luke Cage's no nonsense approach to crime fighting.
Plus you need him to have Misty slap some sense into him now and again. Danny is a good character, he works, yes he was born from an unfortunate reality but what he's become has far exceeded that.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Man people setting up to hate on Iron Fist, I feel like i am in bizzaro land. When Gaf talks the netflix shows

I love basically everything Marvel does, but Iron Fist is looking like trash.

I hope I'm wrong.

Slayven

I feel people that say that haven't actually read the comic. He is at best the city's mascot. You got folks living there that can create chi powered golems with a thought, resurrect the dead, hell the five year girl next in line for the iron fist can summon dragons from books. Hell when the city got blowed up they told him to stay home cause he would just get in the way.

Now if folks said the Prince of Orphans, they might have a point. Motherfucker is broken.

Merc_

I think that part of the problem is that you don't really get a sense of this in any of the trailers that have been released at this point. They all come across as playing the whole thing completely straight.

I hope you guys find this pictorial amusing.

I didn't think it deserved its own thread and figured the posters in this one seemed likeliest to get a kick out of it. If I am wrong, please, forgive me this small bit of racial profiling.

Yesterday, my buddy and I drove 90 miles or so to troll a confederate flag rally.

eFgdpZT.jpg

X9QMPHF.jpg

eiBqEm6.jpg

I feel people that say that haven't actually read the comic. He is at best the city's mascot. You got folks living there that can create chi powered golems with a thought, resurrect the dead, hell the five year girl next in line for the iron fist can summon dragons from books. Hell when the city got blowed up they told him to stay home cause he would just get in the way.

Now if folks said the Prince of Orphans, they might have a point. Motherfucker is broken.

He's the city's mascot now. For most of his history, he was played straight.

And that supposes the Netflix series will take up that current concept, rather than just playing it straight.

He's the city's mascot now. For most of his history, he was played straight.

And that supposes the Netflix series will take up that current concept, rather than just playing it straight.
They have immortal Iron fist sitting right there after striking gold adapting Brubaker and fraction already.

Just fucking do Immortal.

I hope you guys find this pictorial amusing.

I didn't think it deserved its own thread and figured the posters in this one seemed likeliest to get a kick out of it. If I am wrong, please, forgive me this small bit of racial profiling.

Yesterday, my buddy and I drove 90 miles or so to troll a confederate flag rally.

http://i.imgur.com/eFgdpZT.jpg[/img

[img]http://i.imgur.com/X9QMPHF.jpg[/img

[img]http://i.imgur.com/eiBqEm6.jpg[/img[/QUOTE]

what in the world are they facing that direction for?

also did you pick up any (wo)men?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom