• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT17| - Thanks, Obama

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mumei

I just saw this op-ed and I thought it might be of interest, since corporal punishment for children is such a contentious topic:

Stop Beating Black Children

Today, black parents are still about twice as likely as white and Latino families to use corporal punishment on their children. I’ve heard many black people attribute their successes, or the fact that they weren’t in jail, on drugs or dead, to the beatings they received as children.

But if whupping children kept black people out of prison or safe from abusive cops, there would be no mass incarceration or police brutality. If beatings were a prerequisite for success, black people would be ruling the world.

The truth is that white supremacy has done a masterful job of getting black people to continue its trauma work and call it “love.” That is how, in some 19 states, mostly in the South, you can get so many black parents to sign opt-in forms giving public schoolteachers permission to paddle their kids with wooden boards, even though black students are five times more likely to be hit than white students for committing the same offenses.

Black children are also more at risk of being assaulted, seriously injured or killed by a parent than by a police officer, a neighborhood watchman or an irritated racist who hates rap music. We have to stop hurting our children to protect them. It is not working. And worse, it erodes our children’s humanity and co-signs the slave master’s logic that you have to hit a black body to make it comply.

I just saw this op-ed and I thought it might be of interest, since corporal punishment for children is such a contentious topic:

When I was going to school in Jamaica ( up until grade 3), corporal punishment was still practiced, but I'm not if still is today( at least in the community I come from). I received my share of beatings from teachers. At home, my grandmother is only one that ever beat me lol...that was just way it was. My mother was living in Canada during that time.

Numb

BlackNerd probably does some game reviews, and there's Woolie from SBFP. He and Matt do boxart critiques and there's his Hot Pepper Gaming episode. Then if you go further back there's Fighterpedia.
maxresdefault.jpg

So no one else knows of any black YouTube game reviewers? We need to do better. We need to have some our people as popular as the white ones.

black youtubers are just chasing that "reaction" market for views like the others

also what is Japan's fascination with Nazi inspirations for their anime. Granted they aren't History Channel levels of obession but this Tanya anime that's the new hotness marks a bunch of checkboxes

zeemumu

Yamane-san on the board, get yo' 'Vania fix

Hot and balanced out the gate, fuck yo' HD mix

You want them aerial raves, but you want them with chicks?

(Three on three with the ladies, a menage-a-six?)

Dat free ratio booty, custom assists

Too much animation, butt be shittin' bricks

Need dat Mahvel hype, but without all the dicks?

latest

Would never lay a hand on my child.

But I'm am more than willing to throw hands with other folks children. It be like that some times with these bad ass kids.
Im kidding,

And what does DD keep going about defecting to GirlGAF.

I ain't a wimminz

Nope, the amount of dislike I have for my mother was severely increased by my mom whooping me for small shit or, since I got older, trying to hit me.

I can see where you're coming from with that. I got hit one time and I'm pretty sure my mom caught herself taking her own life frustrations out on me. I never got a whooping again after no matter what I did.

However I've seen too many kids who only get put in time out do wild shit. The most interesting thing I've notice is there's a significant difference in the behaviors of my 2 nephews. One is much much better behaved than the other. Could be because of several different factors but one thing I do know is one mom doesn't play while the other has a "let him be a kid" approach.

I wouldn't equate that with police brutality and shit. Are a lot of black women allowing for paddles in this day and age in school? That's hard for me to believe considering most i hear would kill somebody if somebody laid hands on their child. My mother let my principle whoop me, but my principle was my relative so that's different.

If you caught a whooping as a child are you gonna serve them up to yours too?

Lol just asking questions (honestly)

100%

Hiphop gamer can't be the best we got.
Ugh, I didn't realize he did reviews and when beef said him I decided to look. Lord, that is some the bootlegest looking shit I've seen and it's hard to really call it a review. It's just him streaming himself playing and talking loosely about the game or standing in front of a low quality camera doing the same thing.

Everyone once and a while my cousin and I talk about starting a youtube channel to chase them youtube dollars
I would be on it too, because I don't like relying on others for the stuff I want to see, but you need money to do anything in this world and I have no money.

BlackNerd probably does some game reviews, and there's Woolie from SBFP. He and Matt do boxart critiques and there's his Hot Pepper Gaming episode. Then if you go further back there's Fighterpedia. Do the Double Toasted guys do game reviews?
Thanks I'll look for them. You got any black women though? That's what I really want.
BlackNerd isn't really gaming focused though and I find him kind of corny.

black youtubers are just chasing that "reaction" market for views like the others
I hate those, aside from that I just see streamers and they're mainly playing shooters and 2K. I heard one black YouTuber say he plays other genres, but you wouldn't catch me showing it on my channel. Aside from reviews, I'm also looking for game analysis and intelligent discussions on games like PBS Game/Show used to do.

andthebeatgoeson

I wouldn't equate that with police brutality and shit. Are a lot of black women allowing for paddles in this day and age in school? That's hard for me to believe considering most i hear would kill somebody if somebody laid hands on their child. My mother let my principle whoop me, but my principle was my relative so that's different.
In the South? I can believe it.

I don't trust any of these teachers. The article even mentions that Jim Crow was used to hurt us at every developmental stage.

Reading up on that lynching in Waco, TX 100 years ago, you see a picture of people attending a lynching in the middle of the day. Our horror was their mid day entertainment. Our spankings was us accepting their abuse into our house to 'protect' our kids. That's some fucked up psychology.

Schism is a woman.
Might need a raising of hands.😂

Numb

Beatings were a daily cycle of living for everyone
Not from parents cos they were too nice
But everywhere else and everyone i knew got them

I hate those, aside from that I just see streamers and they're mainly playing shooters and 2K. I heard one black YouTuber say he plays other genres, but you wouldn't catch me showing it on my channel. Aside from reviews, I'm also looking for game analysis and intelligent discussions on games like PBS Game/Show used to do.

they might as well be shucking and jiving with their overly sterotypical reactions. all trying to be like that one gif
all of them
that loops

akira28

I dunno, I think on some level the tarantula appreciates a good home and steady meal of whatever the fuck a tarantula eats.

I want a fox. and some dags. and a horse, and I guess a cow and some goats. Maybe a couple of chickens, but fuck a rooster.

hey I'll jump on sfv for a couple whoopins. let me find my arcade stick box.

Getting spanked as a kid taught me two very important lessons.
1. Don't break the rules
2. Don't get caught breaking the rules.
I didn't get spanked after I learned them.

shingi70

Banned
A whooping should never be a first response, but there are some kids who act a fool and need a good smack. I look at how some kids act around their parents and if I tried that when I was a kid I'd be picking my butt off the floor.

When my parents started taking my Gameboy or books as punishment, I would find where they hid them, steal them back, play them, and return it to the hiding spot before they got back. My Mom said at a certain age I was way too smart to actually get a spanking.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom