• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT17| - Thanks, Obama

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tatiana Maslany is hot!!! Too bad I couldn't get into Orphan Black. Also, Dave Chappelle is in Toronto tonight.
---

You guys on that Udemy shit? I picked 3 courses. I would have got more if my boss had given me the money he owed me.

Izuna

Banned
Horizon: Zero Dawn

Go cop that shit. RIGHT NOW

Graphical and nice. I saw it running on PS4 Pro and played a bit further than the intro.

Combat is EXACTLY how I imagined it from the first showing of the game, and as such, I'm not going to continue with it. It's not for me. And that's right after I finished Ryse again, haha.

~~

Can't wait for Nier but maybe I gotta wait until after I am done with school. I'm willing to wait for it.

Just about everything you think could go wrong with a whitewashed Asian story drenched with stereotypes...does.

And of course, Finn Jones acting a fool.

Casting Finn Jones told me they ain't got no idea. Danny doesn't need to be asian or white, but he does need a not shit actor to play him.

Sounds like they didn't take anything from the last fifteen years of the character. Shame. The martial arts one should have been the easiest to do.

Graphical and nice. I saw it running on PS4 Pro and played a bit further than the intro.

Combat is EXACTLY how I imagined it from the first showing of the game, and as such, I'm not going to continue with it. It's not for me. And that's right after I finished Ryse again, haha.

~~

Can't wait for Nier but maybe I gotta wait until after I am done with school. I'm willing to wait for it.

You're still in school. We should be telling you stay away from games and focus on your studies, homie. We are not good role models here.

FyreWulff

Harmonix is demoing the new Rock Band tracks, and of fucking course all the twitch commenters back up a dumpster truck of racism once the rap tracks start.

Was glad when they started deleting and banning all the fucking people doing it, though!

they're on 2 of 3 of them

https://www.twitch.tv/harmonix

Jim Sterling is game journalism equivalent of Armond White.

true

i had to grow up with an uncle that had that contriving personality so i'm a bit hardened to it already

Shy

Honestly this is probably exactly what he wanted. He gave it a 7 because he can still say "I gave it a good score" but it's still bad enough from even an 8/10 to get a shitload of attention and push back from it.

Then again all these video game personalities are after ratings and views so it's not a bad thing.
C'mon now. That's just victim blaming.

And if you read his review, it isn't that bad. But people always focus on the score rather than the text.
Just about everything you think could go wrong with a whitewashed Asian story drenched with stereotypes...does.

And of course, Finn Jones acting a fool.
Ahh. I see.
Jim Sterling is game journalism equivalent of Armond White.
how did you come to that conclusion. ?

Some of my best moments on GAF have been on OT where I got people to just rage quit and expose their bigotry only for them to be banned within minute. Man you can't get that on gaming side.

But in all seriousness discussions don't really happen on gaming side. In OT I can actually have a conservation but on gaming side I either post my reaction to a game or ask/answer a question.

Bronx-Man

Banned
If we're being honest, my interest in video games took a nosedive after Gamergate happened. I'm still excited for stuff like Crash and MvC and Mario, but I'm never going to put myself back into that whole "community" like before. Shit is toxic.

I use to identify with gaming culture--or at least I thought I did. After GG and being on GAF I realized that I'm just a dude that likes to play video games and mostly mainstream AAA titles. I will not define myself as a gamer.

Sch1sm

I dunno. I play minimum 52 games a year, been doing that challenge for a few years now. Mostly shorter titles, but I manage.

People take reviews so seriously because they tie their self-image to the products they buy.

I like chicken and waffles but if someone says they don't I'm not suddenly a lesser person.

I dunno. I play minimum 52 games a year, been doing that challenge for a few years now. Mostly shorter titles, but I manage.

52? Really? Impressive.

I probably buy and play 6-7 titles a year. Most of them need to have MP for me to buy it. My gaming preference is probably the type that gaming side talks down on. Call of duty bro (I didn't buy this year), Assassin Creed fan, console only guy.

The breakdown is probably like 2 big Sony exclusives, 2 big mainstream AAA games, and 2 big FPS.

Yeah gaming side is starting to smell. Bad. Not really many interesting things to talk about, also if there was something to talk about, it gets ruined by some hateful asshole and their compatriots. I'm glad things are quiet in the community side because then there would be no place to turn.

----------

Once again, I make the promise to once again pick up a pencil and draw. And to one day tackle 3D animation with Blender. If I get a better computer in the future anyways. I ain't using my old reliable because it is wearing in its years. Like it's slow when I'm playing Team Fortress 2, a game released in 2007!!
Been doing that lately
Something really nice about pencil and paper compared to digital

People take reviews so seriously because they tie their self-image to the products they buy.

I like chicken and waffles but if someone says they don't I'm not suddenly a lesser person.

Yep. Never understood it

zeemumu

Multi-player only games tend to mess with the amount of games that I finish. I didn't finish anything during those months where I played nothing but Overwatch and WoW

Sch1sm

52? Really? Impressive.

I probably buy and play 6-7 titles a year. Most of them need to have MP for me to buy it.

Probably like 2 big Sony exclusives, 2 big mainstream AAA games, and 2 big FPS.

Yessir. 52 in 2015. 61 last year. About 13 so far this year, bit behind, but my largest output is always the summer, so I'll make it again.

You'll notice a lot of the stuff I play is either A) indie B) old C) puzzles. I don't play much AAA, because I've stopped the whole preorder culture thing because of the full on disappointment I got from 2014. MCC, Unity, DA:I, Far Cry 4, then NBA 2K16 that following fall, and SFV last year February. I've had enough bad luck with 69.99/79.99 games. Been working through my Steam backlog, and my newfound 3DS one.

Yessir. 52 in 2015. 61 last year. About 13 so far this year, bit behind, but my largest output is always the summer, so I'll make it again.

You'll notice a lot of the stuff I play is either A) indie B) old C) puzzles. I don't play much AAA, because I've stopped the whole preorder culture thing because of the full on disappointment I got from 2014. MCC, Unity, DA:I, Far Cry 4, then NBA 2K16 that following fall, and SFV last year February. I've had enough bad luck with 69.99/79.99 games. Been working through my Steam backlog, and my newfound 3DS one.

Billy-D_Approves.gif

Damn bro that's a lot of games regardless. What keeps you pushing through all these games? Just pure enjoyment? The only game I got burnt on was NMS and I felt nervous about getting it--it also happens to be the only game I bought physically and I returned it within 48 hours.

I think I fall in the demographics that AAA titles target so I never really feel disappointed.

I'm a huge fan of MP game since I catch myself just lounging around my place wanting to have a quick gaming session. A few games of Overwatch, CoD, Destiny, BF1, Battlefront, Uncharted MP or any other form of MP scratches that itch for me so well.

The moment Activision sells CoD 4 remastered as a standalone I'll probably buy it also.

7 is average. 8 is good. 9 is excellent. 10 is whoooooaaaaaa, bud.

I dunno why this is the case.
Because video games have become synonymous with hyperbole and ridiculousness coupled with a lack of real "critics" with an actual review scale.

It's something I think Kotaku does best, they just give it a catch all at the end of the review that summarizes their interpretation.

Malyse

how did you come to that conclusion. ?

How am I wrong?
He has contrarian "opinions" that buck the standard reception and happen to have the added benefit of keeping his name in people's mouths. I mean, what's the real difference other than Armond White not having a community fellating his every move?
Bet if White was, well, white then he would be love by the alt-right for "sticking it to Hollywood and refusing to be bought off"

That's why you ain't shit. Come back when you bout that steak and pancake life.

LOL

Slayven

But you can't give me 20 dollars, Canadian money is still worth something

Sch1sm

Billy-D_Approves.gif

Damn bro that's a lot of games regardless. What keeps you pushing through all these games? Just pure enjoyment?

I think I fall in the demographics that AAA titles target so I never really feel disappointed.

Enjoyment, entirely. I don't feel forced to complete them by any means. There are plenty I pick up and then drop, and place them in a purgatory-esque category on Steam. But, for the most part, yeah. Some of them I power through, like this game called 140. Really enjoyed it, but the colours were hell and then some. "Bosses" were ridiculous.

It's not that I don't fall into the demographic, it's that they're all buggy messes even after a day 1 patch. That's the major issue. Otherwise? I get great enjoyment out of stuff like Titanfall 2, Battlefield 1, etc. Played the shit outta Gears 4 despite its underwhelming story.

Because video games have become synonymous with hyperbole and ridiculousness coupled with a lack of real "critics" with an actual review scale.

It's something I think Kotaku does best, they just give it a catch all at the end of the review that summarizes their interpretation.

The fact that a 7 can make someone upset means they need to reevaluate what the hell is going on with these reviews. I think 7 got to this point of average because it's something that people will often give to something they like but didn't love, or they were okay about buy suffered in x place, so the scale shifted.

Numbers are nonsense, anyway. It's all subjective trash.

But you can't give me 20 dollars, Canadian money is still worth something

If you ever really needed $20, I'd give you $20.

Izuna

Banned
You're still in school. We should be telling you stay away from games and focus on your studies, homie. We are not good role models here.

Man, everything's just been Non-Stop since
my ban
starting work.

Once Easter holidays come about I got a couple of weeks before bae flies to this part of the world.

I like to give a bunch of games a try before I write them off. Since I got blessed with gamesharing a rich dude's account:

RE7: Good, but far too scary. Won't play more of it.

Inside: I think I got like 90% of the way there so I might finish tonight if I can't sleep.

Horizon: Not for me. Don't feel like elaborating in gaming side.

Quantum Break: Gotta finish it this month for someone who wants the achievements. Liked Act 1, kinda excited to start it up again actually.

Mankind Divided: Yeah, no. It's everything I disliked about HR amplified. Not for me sadly, and I've done all Deus Ex games prior.

Breath of the Wild: No one I know has a Switch yet but I'll play eventually. I doubt I would like it, haven't enjoyed a Zelda since OoT but I'll give it a fair go in the future.

Nioh: Can't wait for DLC.

Bloodborne: Dropped it. Like Dark Souls, I hate the open world design, I hate getting lost. The combat, while good, doesn't make a super long aRPG worth it for me these days.

Nier: Can't. Fucking. Wait. Just need spare time.

Mass Effect Andromeda: Got it preloaded through gamesharing. I'll give it a go, but I'm not expecting to love it. It takes a lot for me to have the patience playing a long ass game and I'm still salty about the ending to ME3.

Scorpio: I'll have money put aside for one but unless MS announces something good I'm not expecting, I might not bother.

Switch: Will borrow my brother's if he gets one. He has owned every Nintendo console but they always collect dust, haha. Like, his Wii U got like 10 hours of game time nd 4 of those is me playing Shantae.

TLoU: Gave it another go, still dislike it. I won't be catching up on PS4 exclusives.

Titanfall 2: Months of updates and they're all bug fixes as far as I'm concerned. Played less MP of this than the first two weeks of the original. Such a shame.

Infinite Warfare Campaign: Finally got to try this. Production value is insane, but sadly it's still a CoD game so I find the combat boring. Dropped it after 3 levels.

~~~

I dunno if I missed any upcoming games to look out for. The older I get the less time I can give games. Though, it has to be said, how I couldn't stop Nioh should describe how fucking good it is.

Numb

Man, everything's just been Non-Stop since
my ban
starting work.

Once Easter holidays come about I got a couple of weeks before bae flies to this part of the world.

I like to give a bunch of games a try before I write them off. Since I got blessed with gamesharing a rich dude's account:

Breath of the Wild: No one I know has a Switch yet but I'll play eventually. I doubt I would like it, haven't enjoyed a Zelda since OoT but I'll give it a fair go in the future.

Why would you give time to a game that gets a 7?

How am I wrong?
He has contrarian "opinions" that buck the standard reception and happen to have the added benefit of keeping his name in people's mouths. I mean, what's the real difference other than Armond White not having a community fellating his every move?
Bet if White was, well, white then he would be love by the alt-right for "sticking it to Hollywood and refusing to be bought off"

If you can't tell the difference between Armond's "review" of Get Out vs Sterling's method of reviewing, then you may have cockroaches in your PS4.

zeemumu

How am I wrong?

That's why you ain't shit. Come back when you bout that steak and pancake life.

LOL

Jim Sterling didn't give Operation RaccoonCity and The War Z 10/10, is the main difference between him and Armond White

But he did give Operation Raccoon City a 7.5/10 which is still pretty baffling

Malyse

If you can't tell the difference between Armond's "review" of Get Out vs Sterling's method of reviewing, then you may have cockroaches in your PS4.

What PS4?
I think Armond White 100% believes everything he says. I think that Jim Sterling doesn't understand objective quality in a product and thinks reviews are entirely subjective (and also believes 100% everything he says). I think that neither one is worth listening to when it comes to making a decision.

Also. learn the difference between "is the game journalism equivalent to" and "is the same as". It's not the same fucking thing.

Izuna

Banned
What PS4?
I think Armond White 100% believes everything he says. I think that Jim Sterling doesn't understand objective quality in a product and thinks reviews are entirely subjective. I think that neither one is worth listening to when it comes to making a decision.

No game review score is objective.

Malyse

No game review score is objective.

If you can't give an objective opinion on something then your review has no worth.
Objectivity is the difference between "I don't like this because it's bad" and "I don't like this so it's bad". I don't think Sterling can tell the difference, so I think his opinion is worthless.

Shy

Pretty much.
How am I wrong?
Maybe it me. But i don't think he does it just for the sake of it.

I don't think he's opinions are that contrarian. But then, i feel that the gaming media views are a little too homogenised.

I also don't see Jim doing the gaming equivalent of calling Get Out a get whitey movie.

That's why i was taken aback by the comparison a bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom