• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT17| - Thanks, Obama

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sch1sm

It's won't go to Jandro, and the steam sell is coming up

PM me your Steam and I'll remember you during my regular gift rounds at the major sales. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

---

Some of my favourite games have gotten subpar reviews, so at this point, I don't care what critics say outside of strategy games.

If you can't give an objective opinion on something then your review has no worth.
Objectivity is the difference between "I don't like this because it's bad" and "I don't like this so it's bad". I don't think Sterling can tell the difference, so I think his opinion is worthless.

ok armond

Numb

Jesus Rico and his minions
It's won't go to Jandro, and the steam sell is coming up

Going by the Chun Li movie, it won't take much more

full
Get them while they are down?. I see you

PM me your Steam and I'll remember you during my regular gift rounds at the major sales. ¯_(ツ)_/¯

---

Some of my favourite games have gotten subpar reviews, so at this point, I don't care what critics say outside of strategy games.

True. However, if the game is good overall and you're interested in it then fuck the noise, just play the damn game and enjoy yourself.

Malyse

Pretty much.

Maybe it me. But i don't think he does it just for the sake of it.

I don't think he's opinions are that contrarian. But then, i feel that the gaming media views are a little too homogenised.

I also don't see Jim doing the gaming equivalent of calling Get Out a get whitey movie.

That's why i was taken aback by the comparison a bit.

If you haven't noticed by now I bleed hyperbolic, then Iunno what ta tell ya, fam.
In a homogeneous field of critics, Jim Sterling is the one who hews closest to what Armond White does, though not in the same tone or extremity.

Usually.
I genuinely enjoy some objectively horrible as shit games.

Oh I love loving things. I love good games for being good and I love bad games for the way they are bad. But, I also can tell the difference to between the two.

Sch1sm

True. However, if the game is good overall and you're interested in it then fuck the noise, just play the damn game and enjoy yourself.

Pretty much exactly it. I sometimes read them after the fact, out of curiosity. If I see a game that strikes me now, I avoid reviews. I want to form my own opinions. It obviously grabbed my attention for a reason to start with, so I want to explore that rather than miss out on it because I'm deterred by some 7/10 score.

Pretty much exactly it. I sometimes read them after the fact, out of curiosity. If I see a game that strikes me now, I avoid reviews. I want to form my own opinions. It obviously grabbed my attention for a reason to start with, so I want to explore that rather than miss out on it because I'm deterred by some 7/10 score.
Only reviews I hold water for are steam reviews for certain things, and even then you gotta read a few to see if they have similar complaints.

Unfortunately for video games you kinda have to rely on reviews, unlike tv shows/books where you can dabble a bit for free to see if something's trash or not

Shy

If you can't give an objective opinion on something then your review has no worth.
Objectivity is the difference between "I don't like this because it's bad" and "I don't like this so it's bad". I don't think Sterling can tell the difference, so I think his opinion is worthless.
I'm probably going to regret replying to this. (because i don't want to get into a big thing)

You can't give an objective review of a subjective medium.

Somehow I always catch myself stumbling in a Black gossip forum called lipstick alley and I read a comment about Jidenna that made me burst out in laughter.

"How his hair curled and permed up to a 2B but his beard is a still 4C"

So much dirt and tea spilling is done on that forum.

Slayven

PM me your Steam and I'll remember you during my regular gift rounds at the major sales. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

---

Sent you a steam friend invite
I genuinely enjoy some objectively horrible as shit games.

One of the last ps2 games i played was the digimon game. It wasn't a bad game but it had load times measured in geologically terms. Which was made worse in that the game areas were made up of chopped areas and a lot of back tracking.

Malyse

I'm probably going to regret replying to this. (because i don't want to get into a big thing)

You absolutely can. There are qualitative aspects to games.

I think people don't play enough legitimately bad games that they get stuck in the nuances between good and average. I really don't understand the part of current culture that recoils from saying good is good and bad is bad.

Izuna

Banned

Now what I'm gunna say may sound indelicate.

I'm not wanting to defend Sterling, he's mostly just entertaining for me, but since he is an individual, his subjective view is more useful.

I can gauge my own opinion through his impressions, even if I see things differently.

I feel lime other professional game reviewers will "objectively" score a game high if it ticks certain boxes, and then give a super high score if they also enjoy the experience. So even then, that level of boats t subjectivity is there. I'd rather have it in its pure form and not mixed in with arbitrary attributes they believe games should have.

Especially when games are unfairly compared to others and otherwise have their specifics directly compared where it shouldn't be. Like say, Titanfall 2's campaign can be criticised for it's length even though it works fantastic for the game, where the MP is praised despite being so much worse than the original, all we get for DLC is maps from it...

Reviewers like Jim, as an individual, can have any opinion he damn pleases and it allows for real discussion to take place. Angry Joe, as insufferable he can be, has had a few times where he gets the community talking about a subject (like microtransactions).

Having read Jim's written review, the issues he has are things I know will come up when I would play. Nevermind if he thinks they should weigh down the score or not, other reviewers will just look past them because they're having so much fun elsewhere.

No review is objective. They shouldn't be, and I don't believe they can. Unless we want to agrigate scores like say, hours of content, technical aspects (frame rate, bla bla bla), or other shit that doesn't need to be perfect for every type of game.

Numb

Unfortunately for video games you kinda have to rely on reviews, unlike tv shows/books where you can dabble a bit for free to see if something's trash or not

Opposite for me. Video game reviews do not change my choice much if at all.
I would never pay for a 3/10 movie but would give a game with same review a chance
I can have my own experience crafted in games instead of the unchangeable show/movie/book

Malyse

I'm not wanting to defend Sterling, he's mostly just entertaining for me, but since he is an individual, his subjective view is more useful.

I can gauge my own opinion through his impressions, even if I see things differently.

I feel lime other professional game reviewers will "objectively" score a game high if it ticks certain boxes, and then give a super high score if they also enjoy the experience. So even then, that level of boats t subjectivity is there. I'd rather have it in its pure form and not mixed in with arbitrary attributes they believe games should have.

Especially when games are unfairly compared to others and otherwise have their specifics directly compared where it shouldn't be. Like say, Titanfall 2's campaign can be criticised for it's length even though it works fantastic for the game, where the MP is praised despite being so much worse than the original, all we get for DLC is maps from it...

Reviewers like Jim, as an individual, can have any opinion he damn pleases and it allows for real discussion to take place. Angry Joe, as insufferable he can be, has had a few times where he gets the community talking about a subject (like microtransactions).

Having read Jim's written review, the issues he has are things I know will come up when I would play. Nevermind if he thinks they should weigh down the score or not, other reviewers will just look past them because they're having so much fun elsewhere.

No review is objective. They shouldn't be, and I don't believe they can. Unless we want to agrigate scores like say, hours of content, technical aspects (frame rate, bla bla bla), or other shit that doesn't need to be perfect for every type of game.

I think that there's a lot of room for more nuance in game reviews. Personally I would like a system of multiple scores, something like "how it this game objectively", "how is this game compared to its peers", "how much do I like this game" etc.
Opposite for me. Video game reviews do not change my choice much if at all.
I would never pay for a 3/10 movie but would give a game with same review a chance
I can have my own experience crafted in games instead of the unchangeable show/movie/book

If I'm going to buy it, I'm going to buy it no matter. Like, when Xeno drops or if they miraculously announce a new Spectrobes, then I'm there. But other games will be dependant on score. For example, Octopath Traveler. I'm interested, but if every review says "this is a pile of shit", then I moderate my expectations and grab it on sale. If the review are "OMG AZAMEBAALS, SELL YOUR ORGANS TO GET THIS!!" then I'll get it sooner.

Izuna

Banned
I think that there's a lot of room for more nuance in game reviews. Personally I would like a system of multiple scores, something like "how it this game objectively", "how is this game compared to its peers", "how much do I like this game" etc.

You effectively get better information from reading impressions, user scores and review aggregates.

When I would write reviews in a blog a long time ago, I had a tier system for scores. For the 5 people that read it them, they liked it. I might revive it one day.

I shouldn't have deleted it, the world was wide enough.

Somehow I always catch myself stumbling in a Black gossip forum called lipstick alley and I read a comment about Jidenna that made me burst out in laughter.

"How his hair curled and permed up to a 2B but his beard is a still 4C"

So much dirt and tea spilling is done on that forum.

I feel like that place is overtly negative lol no one seems happy over there

I think you can, but it will be pointless

The main point of reading art reviews isnt to find out if the sound matches up with the characters moving, or what have you

^What is exactly an art review? What part of art are you referring to? Drawing, animation, music, writing?

Yeah, Shy got it right.

Yeah, the only rare times I've played a bad game is when I tried shit at random or were given to me. Since my adulthood I've only played two bad games and they were because I just picked them because I was thirsty to review something.

^What is exactly an art review? What part of art are you referring to? Drawing, animation, music, writing?

Yeah, Shy got it right.

Yeah, the only rare times I've played a bad game is when I tried shit at random or were given to me. Since my adulthood I've only played two bad games and they were because I just picked them because I was thirsty to review something.

Whatever word fits to describe video games, tv, movies, comics, etc

Shy

You absolutely can. There are qualitative aspects to games.
If you're refering to the technical aspect of a game. (performance etc)
Then yes, but only those aspects can be reviewed objectively.
I think people don't play enough legitimately bad games that they get stuck in the nuances between good and average. I really don't understand the part of current culture that recoils from saying good is good and bad is bad.
But if they did that, wouldn't you then accuse them of being "contrarian" if they came out and savaged a game you liked. ?

You're already did it to Jim. and what he said about Zelda was Milquetoast.

He still liked the game overall, despite the score. (which isn't a bad score)
I wish there were no scores at all and it was just the text/video review.
On a note we can all hopefully agree on.

Fuck JonTron.
k22tGxV.gif

Jim Sterling is game journalism equivalent of Armond White.

If you even sat down and compared Jim's reviews of this year games with most other outlets, they match up. He doesn't rate negatively for clicks, seeing how he gets his revenue from Patreon. He's one of the few reviewers willing to take off their nostalgia goggles to analyze Zelda. By the end of the year, I guarantee you someone will make a 40 minute analysis of why Zelda was 'just ok' and that will become the general consensus.

It took me a minute to realize he was being sarcastic in that first response. I'm bad at recognizing that. Oh. I didn't really give a shit. By some posts I made a little while ago you can tell I've grown tired of all the white male faces of gaming YouTube.

Edit: Oh yeah, Dereck, I saw that Hokage video. Really, none of them cats he mentioned does the kind of content I'm looking for.

Malyse

You effectively get better information from reading impressions, user scores and review aggregates.

When I would write reviews in a blog a long time ago, I had a tier system for scores. For the 5 people that read it them, they liked it. I might revive it one day.

I shouldn't have deleted it, the world was wide enough.

Just gonna let you know that I'm catching the Hamilton references.

Games have plenty of objective, qualitative aspects, like, uh, the amount of money you-

no, wait, I-

the hardware it's-

fuck, hang on, uh-

the amount of line breaks in the code-

shit no give me a minute

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom