• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT17| - Thanks, Obama

Status
Not open for further replies.

zeemumu

I mean watching some kid running around like a whirlwind of violence just seems boring if you know nothing is going to happen to them.

You could've rephrased that a little better, ahaha.

I'm assuming it'll be like Underworld 4 where she'll suffer some kind of usually fatal injury and then shrug it off to show that she has the healing factor.

Malyse

Actually, that tumblr is full of new gay supports.
I kinda don't want to play through Awakening/Fates again, but that's one hell of a hack they're putting together.
...Is it wrong that i want to see x-23 beaten up. That R has to mean something right?

Holy fuck, you're talking about the Logan movie? What the hell dude? She's like nine.

Man, I miss girlfriendofagamer. I heard she quit GAF.

Seeing as OT is Trump side now, I can't even blame her lol

Anyone know where I can get another key switch for my Macbook 2012? I think a piece of it broke off so I need to replace the whole mechanism.

akira28

damn, that's like 2000 dollars to fix. they have to replace the whole unit. (I'm kidding, but damn do they make stuff expensive or inconvenient to fix on macs, even more so than pcs)

Malyse

Japanese light novel names are ridiculous

My favorite is "I'm a High School Boy and a Bestselling Light Novel author, strangled by my female classmate who is my junior and a voice actress"

Quick question. I got this ask on tumblr:
Marvel Question: Do you see Ms. Marvel/Kamala trying to save some kits (baby foxes), but they would make explosive calls directed at her (the kits do this to threaten her because they thought she might hurt and kill them) when she steps foot near them?

Am I crazy or does that not make any sense?

W2Gq018.jpg

I spent all week stressing over a dashboard I had to build. Even so far to flaking on people this weekend. I barely made any progress on it. But the moment I get in the office today everything clicks. Ugh I really need a home office.

zeemumu

What games with black protagonists in games do you like and why?

Halo 5 for vehicle combat and creativity when it comes to weapons

Prototype 2 for its mobility.

MKX for its ease learning curve as far as fighting games are concerned

Apparently Marlow Briggs has pretty good gameplay

Walking Dead Season 1 for its story

Are you asking why I like the black protagonist or why I like the game in general?

Main character or if he's just in the party? Cause I'm struggling to think of a game with a black lead that's not a create a character or GTA

What games with black protagonists in games do you like and why?

That's really hard.

Walking dead Telltale's Lee - He was a fighter, he wasn't asked to do what he did, he protected Clementine like she was his own all the way to the end.

Mafia III - Lincoln Clay, I played my frustrations through him. I don't care what people say about the game I enjoyed it. I enjoy taking down virtual KKK fuckwads. He was the real MVP, he was betrayed and didn't just get his penny-ante revenge, he took down the entire structure piece by piece.

Dragon Age: Inquisition Vivienne - Powerful (Knight Enchanter), Clever, not to be trifled with, she was my Divine all along.

Izuna

Banned
Been thinking about this for a bit.

I think my Saints Row 2 character is my fav but that doesn't count I guess.

Clem is great.

Prototype 2 for its mobility.

MKX for its ease learning curve as far as fighting games are concerned

Apparently Marlow Briggs has pretty good gameplay

Walking Dead Season 1 for its story

Are you asking why I like the black protagonist or why I like the game in general?
Moreso about the character, but feel free to discuss the actual game as well.

Main character or if he's just in the party? Cause I'm struggling to think of a game with a black lead that's not a create a character or GTA
Either is fine, since I know the pickings are so slim.

I've only played GTA SA and V for those myself so I know how you feel. I just want to learn more about some others.

zeemumu

I think I'm forever cursed to be only stood up by women. I don't think I'll ever be able to settle at this rate.

I kinda know that feel. I also know that dying alone is really hard to do, so at this point it's just a matter of waiting.

My problem is that I don't feel confident asking someone out while I'm still just a full time student with no job.

ayy

Tanaka has to be, like, my favorite character in the franchise at this point. She's the only one out of the entire main cast that has a clear character arc, and her backstory / bio only point to her becoming more relevant in the next mainline title. I think Locke has potential too, but I wish we got something like their little head boop in the launch commercial in-game. I feel like Chief is holding the series back at this point, honestly.

zeemumu

ayy

Tanaka has to be, like, my favorite character in the franchise at this point. She's the only one out of the entire main cast that has a clear character arc, and her backstory / bio only point to her becoming more relevant in the next mainline title. I think Locke has potential too, but I wish we got something like their little head boop in the launch commercial in-game. I feel like Chief is holding the series back at this point, honestly.

Nightfall goes more into Locke's character prior to becoming a spartan. And he's played by Luke Cage

Nightfall goes more into Locke's character prior to becoming a spartan. And he's played by Luke Cage

Yeah, I've seen it, I just think with the direction they went they sort of pigeonholed him as long as the status quo stays the same - he's got to have enough of a personality to distinguish him from Chief and pals, but at the same time he has to play it straight enough that he can be considered an analog to Chief. I really want a situation where Chief's off the front lines ("retired", decommissioned, dies, whatever) for good, so now you have to juggle a cast where Locke is struggling to fill Chief's shoes and Blue Team has to, y'know, actually have some character in-game now that they aren't just cardboard cutouts putting Chief in the limelight anymore. Maybe after the Created thing blows over Halo pulls a TFA and Chief just straight-up goes into hiding, but at any rate having a smaller, more personal conflict would be welcome at this point. I know it's a serialized AAA FPS, but come on, not every mainline title has to have a threat that could threaten the fate of the galaxy as we know it™ or whatever.

Izuna

Banned
Halo 5 (campaign) is straight up garbage in every way

In fact, I just got done with Halo 2 Legendary and even though it was infuriating, it wasn't like I was playing a game no one should have ever designed.

Those enemy types? Boy.
That "story"? Boy.
The pointless team chatter that says nothing? Bruh.

I was a huge Halo fan enough to find love in Halo 4, but 5 was just poop.

That being said, I loved the "idea" of Locke even before Nightfall came out. Then I watched Nightfall...

I can't get over the fact that I know the actor isn't voicing Locke in the game.

I'm 32. Things were better during my 20's....though I may fooled around a little too much during those times.

Dude that looked out for me as a kid always talked about being single and never settling down..talking how hard it was to find a woman. He'll be hitting 50 in a couple of years. Found himself a girl 5 years ago and they're happily married.

Don't give up. Give it time. You're still plenty young.

zeemumu

Yeah, I've seen it, I just think with the direction they went they sort of pigeonholed him as long as the status quo stays the same - he's got to have enough of a personality to distinguish him from Chief and pals, but at the same time he has to play it straight enough that he can be considered an analog to Chief. I really want a situation where Chief's off the front lines ("retired", decommissioned, dies, whatever) for good, so now you have to juggle a cast where Locke is struggling to fill Chief's shoes and Blue Team has to, y'know, actually have some character in-game now that they aren't just cardboard cutouts putting Chief in the limelight anymore. Maybe after the Created thing blows over Halo pulls a TFA and Chief just straight-up goes into hiding, but at any rate having a smaller, more personal conflict would be welcome at this point. I know it's a serialized AAA FPS, but come on, not every mainline title has to have a threat that could threaten the fate of the galaxy as we know it™ or whatever.

Chief technically IS decommissioned/retired, but apparently he can just refuse. Locke came off as a lot more unit-focused than chief.

Zekes!

My favorite is "I'm a High School Boy and a Bestselling Light Novel author, strangled by my female classmate who is my junior and a voice actress"

we should take our favourite games/movies/books and rename them like a Japanese light novel

Halo 5 (campaign) is straight up garbage in every way

In fact, I just got done with Halo 2 Legendary and even though it was infuriating, it wasn't like I was playing a game no one should have ever designed.

Those enemy types? Boy.
That "story"? Boy.
The pointless team chatter that says nothing? Bruh.

I was a huge Halo fan enough to find love in Halo 4, but 5 was just poop.

That being said, I loved the "idea" of Locke even before Nightfall came out. Then I watched Nightfall...

I can't get over the fact that I know the actor isn't voicing Locke in the game.

Halo 2 is like nothing but team chatter.

FyreWulff

Which wasn't pointless character building attempts that never built anything.

I wish the entire second half of Halo 2 was trimmed to a single level, but Halo 5 is just...

I'm excited to be replaying ODST, though!

Well, they did lop off the last third of Halo 2 and made it into Halo 3

FyreWulff

Is that what happened?

Thank god the game didn't last any longer.

Halo 3 in '07 was an amazing time.

Yeah. Halo 2 near killed Bungie. Halo 2 was legitmately supposed to be the end of the current Halo storyline, a huge sci fi epic. They cut off the last third of it in desperation of getting the game out.

It's pretty much an unfinished game, even when you talk to people that worked on it.

It was mostly concepts that survived over to Halo 3, and some level geometry. Some of the dialogue in Halo 3 was actually recorded for Halo 2 and the same audio files were used verbatim.

Like, they had issues where designers were making entire levels and the original Xbox had no hope of ever loading them, they had to reboot the project after Seropian left with barely any time to go, they wasted a bunch of time on a next-gen stencil lighting engine that was never capable of handling any complex levels, meaning all the work they put into the E3 demo version of the game was just unusable for an actual shipping product

they were even trying to get one more level into the shipping game - where you played as the Chief going through the Forerunner ship. They had the geometry all done but ran out of time to set up it's encounters, so the entire level got cut.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom