• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT18| - Ma-ma-ma-MAXIMUM! Haram Achieved

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beefy

The trouble with being a cook is similar to being an artist. Everyone you know wants you to do your craft for them at no cost.
And I'm like

Like some of the people I gym with. Wanting me to give them diet plans etc for free, just because I passed my PT course.

D i Z

What you gonna do about folks copying your money train with "Reverse Racist" pinatas?

They already lynched my granddaddies brothers and sent my uncles to their shit wars. Why would I be worried about a forgone conclusion of them doing fucked up shit?

The trouble with being a cook is similar to being an artist. Everyone you know wants you to do your craft for them at no cost.
And I'm like:
d190a2bf2d54ea9674fe6d8cca39ed289b4a7ab9f3ef743582c752c2287d2907.jpg
You are the official bct cook

It is what it is. This isn't unique to anyone. People are losing family all over the place to fucked up regimes everyday.

Edit: Appreciate the sentiment though. Didn't want to dismiss that you did that :)

Yeah, shit gotten real crazy real fast these days.

And no problem, man.

I tried playing a friends copy, but I just didn't like it. Watched another friend play through the whole game bit by bit and I liked a lot of what I saw of towns and settlements but didn't feel super great about the rest of the game.

I think I might actually hate open-world games.

I can respect this opinion. Can I ask what you don't like about them

Like some of the people I gym with. Wanting me to give them diet plans etc for free, just because I passed my PT course.

But how much would you charge?

My wallet only opens for Izuna's girl, Mrs.Manky, Sch1sm, and Jean.

No respect

BCT on SFV. Put up your CFN or drink your A1..

Church day means no fun for me :(

Jesus, Persona 5 really highlights one of the worst elements at play in east Asian societies.
The main character's life just straight-up being destroyed for helping someone, because he fucked with the wrong person, and the way he's become outcast by his family and every person and school that has taken him. How the social hierarchy has just fucked him over.
I thought it was just Japan, until I talked to a Taiwanese friend of mine, and then I remembered China can also have these issues. It's insanely interesting. Wish people were allowed to LP this further than barely at all.

I can respect this opinion. Can I ask what you don't like about them

I enjoy their environments because they're so pretty, especially Witcher 3, but having a big open experience where I can do anything means I get bored and overwhelmed by the amount of choices fairly quickly. They just don't hold my interest long. It's too much. I like more focused experiences and story and character-based games more. Exploration can be great as a relaxing experience, but the bigger the world, the faster I lose interest. I just don't enjoy fucking around in a sandbox like other people do.

I had to import Ennio Morricone soundtracks into Fallout: New Vegas, years after I bought it and several attempts at playing it later, before I could manage to keep myself invested for the long travels enough to play hours of it.

Shy

Morning, folks..
Mornin', BCT.
Afternoon BCT
Morning y'all
Morning peeps!
Good morning, good afternoon, good night. What have you done with your life?
Not a serious question
Morning BCT..
Mornin' peeps.
Evening.
They already lynched my granddaddies brothers and sent my uncles to their shit wars. Why would I be worried about a forgone conclusion of them doing fucked up shit?
Jesus. I'm so sorry.
Jesus, Persona 5 really highlights one of the worst elements at play in east Asian societies. I thought it was just Japan, until I talked to a Taiwanese friend of mine, and then I remembered China can also have these issues. It's insanely interesting. Wish people were allowed to LP this further than barely at all.
Which is what, fam ?

Nudull

Banned
Jesus, Persona 5 really highlights one of the worst elements at play in east Asian societies.
The main character's life just straight-up being destroyed for helping someone, because he fucked with the wrong person, and the way he's become outcast by his family and every person and school that has taken him. How the social hierarchy has just fucked him over.
I thought it was just Japan, until I talked to a Taiwanese friend of mine, and then I remembered China can also have these issues. It's insanely interesting. Wish people were allowed to LP this further than barely at all.

Shit's more fucked up than in Inaba, and that's saying something.

Which is what, fam ?

I edited my post to clarify.

The way the justice system and social hierarchy works in terms of fucking over people who help others is something, and a big part of what the game is about. People out there also seem to think it's made to satirize issues in western justice systems but it's not. The issues on display in the game are entirely Japanese, but also present in Taiwan and China.

From Persona 5's Katsura Hashino:

"Living in Japan, I can't get direct feedback, so it's hard for me to fully understand the overseas popularity. Persona 5 is unabashedly Japanese, going so far as to cover Japanese politics a bit. I can't imagine what kind of response that will garner from western fans. But I keep hearing that they're excited for its release, so I'm interested to see how the story is received overseas. Japanese genre fiction tends to deal with heroes fighting invaders from outside their society. In the west, however, these types of stories typically deal with outcasts within a society. Think Batman and the Joker, a relationship that has always struck a chord with fans. In the same vein, Persona 5 tells a story in which the heroes battle against villains risen from within their own society. Perhaps we'll get a different response from overseas players than we have from previous games. I'm excited and anxious to find out."

I heard of a story from my friend where a high school kid with a severe brittle bone condition attended this school that had no accommodation for that at all. So he couldn't get to class, which was up a flight of stairs.

So another kid volunteered to help this kid walk up the stairs, every day, for over a year. But one day, he tripped, and the kid with brittle bones had to go to the hospital for it.

The parents sued. The volunteering kid got sent to prison for years because his family couldn't afford to pay up. When he finally got out of prison, years later, he was interviewed and said that he'd learned never to help others again.

In Taiwan's legal system, who wins a case often comes down to who suffered more harm rather than who was at fault.

So, for example, if a car and a scooter are in a crash, the scooter will generally win regardless of who caused the crash, because the person on the scooter will generally suffer greater injuries as a result of the crash than somebody in a car.

There's some interesting stuff at play here.

Keep in mind, I'm not pointing this out to pick on Asian societies or say they're bad, it's just a problem that happens that Persona is exploring, and I find it insanely interesting.

I thought it was just Japan, until I talked to a Taiwanese friend of mine, and then I remembered China can also have these issues. It's insanely interesting. Wish pueople were allowed to LP this further than barely at all.
It really is good at handling the societal malaise toward well, everything.
People just straight up don't give a fuck if their kids are getting beaten and abused as long as it secures them a better college which will secures them a better job and social position through osmosis.

I wish it wasn't reflective of life, but first hand experience tells me better.

Shits fucked.

And yeah I really really wanted to see Pat and especially Woolie talk about this. Ah well. Such is life.

Edit:
Take what happens with Ryuji, Kamoshida legit breaks his leg, but since he struck him first and is an authority figure, it's brushed under the rug and forgotten whole everybody blames him for how bad everything went when he's the actual victim. The legal system is designed to cater to authority and power first while kids and those under that power are left in a position of vulnerability.

akira28

I edited my post to clarify.

Keep in mind, I'm not pointing this out to pick on Asian societies or say they're bad, it's just a problem that happens that Persona is exploring, and I find it insanely interesting.

damn, that's in the game? I always react negatively to situations like this because it feels like an author is trying to pull a fucky mind trick to make the reader/player experience moral dissonance and feelings of betrayal, when they could be doing something less blunt and tropey. And then I'm reminded that truth is always much worse than fiction.

Nudull

Banned
damn, that's in the game? I always react negatively to situations like this because it feels like an author is trying to pull a fucky mind trick to make the reader/player experience moral dissonance and feelings of betrayal, when they could be doing something less blunt and tropey. And then I'm reminded that truth is always much worse than fiction.

From what I've played so far, Persona 5 has been handling these dark subjects better than most other games. Lesser writers would've went all in on the shock and edge.

And yeah I really really wanted to see Pat and especially Woolie talk about this. Ah well. Such is life.

Edit:
Take what happens with Ryuji, Kamoshida legit breaks his leg, but since he struck him first and is an authority figure, it's brushed under the rug and forgotten whole everybody blames him for how bad everything went when he's the actual victim. The legal system is designed to cater to authority and power first while kids and those under that power are left in a position of vulnerability.

I like that you, seemingly, know exactly where I watched the early hours of this game. lol

And yeah, it's a really interesting kind of broken system, even in comparison to America's own form of broken system. I really really want to play this game and see how it progresses.

It's the MC's story, and also the theme of the whole game. It's as bad as it can possibly be, with characters in a position of power, down to the staff and board of his school talking shit about him right in front of his face. The guy he stays with only took him in because he got paid to do it, and treats him like shit constantly and like a burden. The teachers literally hope he gets expelled and fucked in society so they don't have to deal with him, and they know it's wrong and know teachers shouldn't feel that way but they don't CARE. He's SUPER fucked.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom