• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT2|

I gotta have instructions when cooking something. My poor memory requires it. Even my grandma's mac and cheese recipe, which I've made nearly every week for months now, requires me to read the instructions.

yeah, i'm an instructions lover, but i mean, it's baked chicken. you put it in at 375 for 30m, then stab it every 10 minutes after to see if it bleeds.

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
So, Next Friday was on as background noise earlier on today, on USA. It got up to Pinky's funny ass segment in the store. Of course, it's edited somewhat. Only reason I bring it up is, because I didn't realize they could say nigga as many times as they wanted on cable tv.

Slayven

So, Next Friday was on as background noise earlier on today, on USA. It got up to Pinky's funny ass segment in the store. Of course, it's edited somewhat. Only reason I bring it up is, because I didn't realize they could say nigga as many times as they wanted on cable tv.
Depends on the station USA is pretty free with language.

Kreed

I'm guessing you've never seen the Boondocks on Cartoon Network?

Wait, do you have a recipe for baked mac and cheese? Could you please share it with me, maybe through PM or something? I've been going through different recipes lately but I haven't found one that I liked.
I'll shoot you a PM once I get back home.
yeah, i'm an instructions lover, but i mean, it's baked chicken. you put it in at 375 for 30m, then stab it every 10 minutes after to see if it bleeds.
You don't know how bad my memory is. :(

Onemic

? for the guys

how likely do you think it is that you'll marry a black woman...like if you had to put a percentage on it?

i'm curious.

Like 10% probably. Very few black girls live around my area. Based on chances I'm more likely to marry an Asian girl before anything else. Blasian babies incoming.

Alright, Black-GAF. Gotta question for ya.

I haven't cut my hair for some time. I typically go through these bouts where I grow my hair, partially out of wanting to do something with it, partially out of laziness to going to a barber. I normally would either braid it into cornrows, straighten it out (long enough to put my hair into a ponytail) or just cut it eventually.

I would like some other options. What I need are suggestions for other hairstyles for black male hair outside of bald/short caesar cut/cornrows.

Like 10% probably. Very few black girls live around my area. Based on chances I'm more likely to marry an Asian girl before anything else. Blasian babies incoming.

Oh Junpei

180px-Chidori.jpg

I haven't cut my hair for some time. I typically go through these bouts where I grow my hair, partially out of wanting to do something with it, partially out of laziness to going to a barber. I normally would either braid it into cornrows, straighten it out (long enough to put my hair into a ponytail) or just cut it eventually.

I would like some other options. What I need are suggestions for other hairstyles for black male hair outside of bald/short caesar cut/cornrows.

3238150222_1e4d39dc0e.jpg

twists?

don't do it!

DominoKid

Im happy for kevin hart. Hes funny, he works hard and unlike most black comedians hes actually sane.

Oh i got some funny shit to tell yall when i get back to a computer. Family dinner discussions w/ 3 generations of black women never go smoothly lol.

jeez. What's up with the trend of

why do people slurp
why do people wear pants that they can step on
why do people use proper pronouns in a confusing manner

and today ever look in people's shopping carts

Some people must be an absolute pleasure to hang out with.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Oh i got some funny shit to tell yall when i get back to a computer. Family dinner discussions w/ 3 generations of black women never go smoothly lol.

iOOdOZBWpgQJ.gif

why do people slurp

Some, uh...

Some people don't do too well socially. Like, with other people.

At all.

why do people slurp

Why are you ruining my evening as well?

trollface.jpg

iOOdOZBWpgQJ.gif

Some, uh...

Some people don't do too well socially. Like, with other people.

At all.

It just feels like some people have literally nothing going on their day and need to feel superior about something. Considering some of the things I've walked out of some stores with (since I get my healthy stuff elsewhere) I have no right to judge even though I eat pretty healthy.

Why are you ruining my evening as well?

trollface.jpg

It's afternoon somewhere.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
I'm gonna run through Borderlands 1 again before BL2 drops.

Anybody about to do the same? I need bros

DominoKid

*colin powell warning*

Alright so we celebrate my grandma's birthday on Labor Day...because nobody knows exactly what day her birthday is. All we know is its sometime in the 1st week of September lol.

So we had the big family dinner thing today since I'm going back to school tomorrow. While we were setting the table up I said some offhand shit to my mom about fixing my plate, which wasn't a problem between us cause thats just how we talk to each other. My aunt snaps at me talking about "don't TELL a woman to fix you a plate. if she wanted to do it she would've already done it." I'm kinda standing in the kitchen like O_O and everybody kept it moving.

I ended up getting stuck in the kitchen w/ all the women after dinner since I didn't want to watch golf (1st mistake) w/ all the husbands and old men. So since I'm pretty much the baby of the family, and I have the most interesting stories the women wanted me to stay in the kitchen and tell them what's been going on in my life*. I'm in there w/ my grandma (1st gen), aunt & mom & all their friends (2nd gen) and my cousin & some of her friends. (3rd gen). Outnumbered as fuck. So everything is cool, going smooth, until my aunt brings that shit up again talking about "and what's this i hear about you expecting a woman to fix you a plate."
I guess my mom had passed on the word in one of their little chicken sessions about a discussion we'd had where she said she understood how I felt about it, but that she aint fixing a plate for no man because she didn't want to build that expectation.

In retrospect I should've just owned it and took the L right there, but I pushed it and told her that if you expect me to cut grass, fix shit and do manly shit etc, the least thing you could do is the womanly duties. Of course it popped off after that and I was getting barked on by about half the women in the room. It didn't help that I called my aunt out on all the times I'd seen my uncle come in the kitchen asking "where's my plate" and her happily obliging him just to point out her hypocrisy. Then they started arguing w/ each other about gender roles and what not and I'm sitting there thinking that I didn't even mean for it to get that deep.

Somewhere in the course of this my grandma leans over and whispers "Now baby, listen close to this, and pay attention to who saying what and who has a man." and then gave me one of them all-knowing old woman looks. I had to run out the room to keep from busting out laughing because it generally did break down just like she said it would.

Now I tell yall this not to justify my views on gender roles and all that. And I'm not trying to say that upholding gender roles leads to successful relationships. But I just thought it was interesting how the whole thing broke down. One of my earliest memories of my parents being married is being at my grandma's house for Sunday dinner and my grandma telling my mom to fix my dad a plate. And my dad was like "Don't even worry about it, she doesn't do that." Now my mom fixed him the plate, but I knew she wasn't happy about it. That never really sat well with me. So I always felt like there's some shit that I just expect a woman to do for me.

And it's a topic that comes up a lot with the black women I've hung out with (just being involved w/ them or seeing them be involved w/ other people). Just in general it seems like black women arent as willing to take care of their man in the conventional way. I suspect its because generally their fathers werent around so they never saw that sort of care growing up. But I could also be way off base. I've never had that problem w/ women of other races though (Especially hispanic women).

From now on I'm just gonna go watch golf. Even though I hate it.

*The main question is when I'm gonna bring a girl around to meet the fam. But I can barely stand that shit myself. I really wouldn't want to subject a woman to my family/friends cause that 2nd gen are some sharks for the most part.

feel free to rip me for my archaic views as you see fit though.

Dereck

why do people slurp

People make threads about small nitpicks that would be better off kept to themselves.

Timedog does the better cookin' so I can't even weigh in on this. Personally I don't think roles are as important as balance.

As long as there is equal give and take what the tasks are isn't important. My gf cooks better than me by default since I can't, but there are other chores that she finds really tedious that don't bother me.

Top Bottom