• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT2|

It's crazy to think that if I was in Trayvon's situation people on GAF would be defending the guy who killed me. Oh well I can't be bummed with graduation tomorrow.

Congrats on graduation. As far as the TM case.... it was all I needed to lose faith that we are going anywhere fast in these nation. The politics, race issues and general stupidity on display is disheartening.

Have you guys ever been to a Rock concert? I listen to some Rock but never been to any live performances since I think I'd feel out of place. A girl at work invited me to go to a Staind concert next week and I told her I'd think about it.

Has anybody been noticing more young people like just out of high school being engaged? Maybe it's just me. And eterna I've never been to a rock concert. I would love to go to one though.

After being beaten to the ground by Towering Black Football Player Trayvon Martin, Zimmerman reluctantly pulls the trigger in self-defense. Martin falls back and lets loose a mighty African laugh. "So it begins!" he cries (translated from thug language).

The transponder on his wrist contacts the White House, where Operation Caliphate sits waiting.

"Your majesty," cries an aide (likely homosexual), "Agent Martin, codenamed Fire of Allah, has completed his mission!"

Imam Hussein Obama clasps his hands and smirks, a "jazz cigarette" in his mouth. "And now the honkies will pay."

What is this "Operation Caliphate"? It intrigues me.

Here you go.

Speaking of which, my brother is coming to my place tonight to watch some stuff. I told him to bring some snacks, and his text response was "I'll be wearing work clothes. don't want to get Trayvon'd"

smh : /

Speaking of which, my brother is coming to my place tonight to watch some stuff. I told him to bring some snacks, and his text response was "I'll be wearing work clothes. don't want to get Trayvon'd"

smh : /
I had a friend (white) use that term. wasn't sure exactly how to feel about it. i don't think he meant ill will, it's just kind of i dunno, bleak.

hey guys i just have a white guy question

do you think a post on neogaf is ever interpreted differently if the poster is known to be black than it would be if it's known that the poster is white? like Measley in that dead beat dad thread. it's an honest question and i'm not being dishonest or disingenuous when i ask it.

EDIT: and i guess subquestion: is that in and of itself indicative of a.. i guess an 'isolationist' ideal of black culture? i.e. this is ours and we're speaking for us and that's just how it is. so to speak. i'm sorry, i'm having trouble asking what i want to ask.

i realize the obvious answer is "of course it's interpreted differently". what i'm wondering is whether or not intent is factored into such a mindset, and whether or not that can ever be changed.

No one speaks for everyone, but intent is usually guessed at differently because of it.

For example, while it may be entirely distasteful for a black man to walk into a room and say "nigger," it will be taken better than a white man doing the exact same thing, because the white man's intent is assumed to be more hurtful.

Similarly, you can replace that with men and women on gender issues. An issue dealing with men... actually, for the majority, anyone can say anything they want, really (blacks can speak for whites, women for men) and it won't be taken badly, but any history of oppression would mean that you are not to speak ill of the previously (or presently) oppressed.

To simply that last paragraph: a black person can make a comment about white people and it won't be taken badly, just as women can for men, even if the view is controversial. Switch both of those and the intent of those with a controversial position (and in the majority) is considered to be a harmful one off the bat.

Better yet: "yes, and hopefully."

i guess what i struggle with is the idea of being "guessed" at or about, especially when it comes to intent. words and language are extremely malleable in my opinion, and this place more than any other i've ever encountered encourages hyperliteralism.. i.e. your words ARE your intent and anything else is considered illogical or disingenuous.

i guess what i struggle with is the idea of being "guessed" at or about, especially when it comes to intent. words and language are extremely malleable in my opinion, and this place more than any other i've ever encountered encourages hyperliteralism.. i.e. your words ARE your intent and anything else is considered illogical or disingenuous.

Eh, it also works with how long you've been here. People have stuck around when other members would have been banned because mods know the poster well enough.

It's also why you and your friends can make a bunch of racial jokes, but someone else may take it the wrong way.

Same here. I've found that you can usually tell friendly people from unfriendly people depending on if they nod back or not.

I generally do so, but I tend to ignore people under 25/30. Not out of rudeness mind, just because things have changed, and they'd probably look at me like I'm mad.

Black women go out of their way to pretend they don't see you which always makes me laugh.

Black men with white women don't even look at me, so no head nod from me.

That said the African lads don't do it at all, but would be quicker to talk to you out of the blue at the same time.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
i realize the obvious answer is "of course it's interpreted differently". what i'm wondering is whether or not intent is factored into such a mindset, and whether or not that can ever be changed.

its definitely factored in.

just this past week i had two people respond to me with "but what if the person was black? i bet you'd feel differently"

and its trifling. if Mitt Romney came to school in blackface and slapped his black teacher in the mouth 50 years ago, my opinion of him, today, would not change.

Mononofu

Have you guys ever been to a Rock concert? I listen to some Rock but never been to any live performances since I think I'd feel out of place. A girl at work invited me to go to a Staind concert next week and I told her I'd think about it.

Staind sucks but I wouldn't turn the girl down.

Wanted to go to a Slayer one, but yeah...black friends lol

Anyway, this must be my favourite World Star video...from the way the man runs out of court, to the woman in Yellow running infront of everyone and not stopping, has me in tears all the time

http://www.worldstarhiphop.com/videos/video.php?v=wshh831D9EgR8i1XrCyg

Bleepey

I know a black guy who went to a African and caribean society meeting in a Slayer t shirt and got looks. He was like why do you care so much, what's the point of these things if you are gonna shit on me on how I dress?

I know a black guy who went to a African and caribean society meeting in a Slayer t shirt and got looks. He was like why do you care so much, what's the point of these things if you are gonna shit on me on how I dress?

\m/

Black folk in the UK can be some of the most fucking ignorant people that I've ever met

I've been to all sorts of rock concerts, from indie-r stuff like Modest Mouse and TV on the Radio, to Avenged Sevenfold and stuff like that. Nobody's gonna give a shit about you being there. You'll feel out of place only if you don't really like the music...in which case, I'd do myself a favor and bone up on my Staind before going.

lol yea I only know a few Staind songs but I'll still consider going.

So I think I'm gonna start watching some blaxploitation movies since I've never really seen many. Just watched Willie Dynamite which was actually pretty good. The girl who played Pashen.......MMmmMMmmMmm, that's all I'll say!

naacp officially endorses marriage equality, good good.cp

6dBGH.gif

abuC

Went to the barber today, it's a Jamaican shop and they had UEFA champions league on every TV in the shop....my haircut took approximately 10 hours.

Top Bottom