• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT2|

Slayven

Jesus Christ what people post on Gaf, I hope most of it is made up. But if it is that makes them kind of messed up.

Oh, ChiTown's rape thread?

I have no idea. Some people are probably just joking inappropriately (in regards to all of the bans early on), while others may actually be serious. Iunno.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Racism in the U.S. is largely a cultural thing today. There's a "white" culture and a "black" culture. Unfortunately, "black" culture is actually just some kind of back-lash against society that promotes some really negative attitudes and lifestyles. The fact that this culture has been determined as how "real" black people should act has been pretty harmful. If a white person is wearing baggy clothes, speaking poorly, and using drugs- both white and black people will be more likely to identify him as part of "black" culture. This is kind of where we stand now, and I'd venture to say that it's a lot further along than where Europe is. I'd also agree that the Southern United States is, ironically, probably one of the least racist places there are. The reason is simply because they experience these subtleties first hand. The next big step will be disassociating the color of someone's skin with how you've seen other people with that skin color act, and finally doing away with the notion that the color of your skin associates you with some group.

A person in the South may be more likely to sincerely say that they hate black people. That's because they've had strong experiences which have confused them into feeling that way.
A person in the North is less likely to say something like that, but they also haven't been tempted by experiencing situations that make it easy to start making wrongful assumptions.

At the same time,
A person in the South will be more likely to genuinely understand these culture differences and not assume something based on someone's color, but perhaps how they present themselves.
A person in the North will be more likely to actively try to befriend a person just because they're black and they think that makes them "cool" or something. They will probably assume that this person listens to a lot of rap music and expects to communicate using poor grammar, even if he is a medical doctor or something.

This is how I see it at least. There are definitely differences, but IMO the Southern U.S. is actually closer to the ideal where skin color doesn't mean anything. I don't think you would be able to find people in the United States throwing bananas at a black person today.

I can't even

Racism in the U.S. is largely a cultural thing today. There's a "white" culture and a "black" culture. Unfortunately, "black" culture is actually just some kind of back-lash against society that promotes some really negative attitudes and lifestyles. The fact that this culture has been determined as how "real" black people should act has been pretty harmful. If a white person is wearing baggy clothes, speaking poorly, and using drugs- both white and black people will be more likely to identify him as part of "black" culture. This is kind of where we stand now, and I'd venture to say that it's a lot further along than where Europe is. I'd also agree that the Southern United States is, ironically, probably one of the least racist places there are. The reason is simply because they experience these subtleties first hand. The next big step will be disassociating the color of someone's skin with how you've seen other people with that skin color act, and finally doing away with the notion that the color of your skin associates you with some group.

juggalos-feat.jpg

Seriously though, juggalos notwithstanding the bolded hasn't been true for quite some time. White suburban youth have long since co-opted those elements of "black culture" into something entirely different.

ReiGun

Woke up to some horrible news, Black-Gaf. Friend of mine was shot for no reason last night. Currently in critical condition. Doctors say they can save him, but there's a chance he'll be paralyzed. I'm just sitting here, just trying to hold myself together and praying for the best.

Woke up to some horrible news, Black-Gaf. Friend of mine was shot for no reason last night. Currently in critical condition. Doctors say they can save him, but there's a chance he'll be paralyzed. I'm just sitting here, just trying to hold myself together and praying for the best.

Damn man, I don't know what to say but I pray for the best. I hope he has supportive family/friends to help him pull through.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"

i feel for you man. a million thoughts race in your mind in situations like this.

ReiGun

Damn man, I don't know what to say but I pray for the best. I hope he has supportive family/friends to help him pull through.
Yeah his family and a few friends are there. I'm hanging back because I don't know his family, and I think it's best they have this time to support each other without outside folk just hanging around.

i feel for you man. a million thoughts race in your mind in situations like this.
Yeah. It's been wild. I've been mostly just sitting here, trying to keep my mind off it, and talking other friends through it. Been a rough morning for everyone.

Damn, dude. Hang in there and hope for the best.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
Damn... never easy to hear that kind of thing. Hoping for the best.

Just be sure you don't run yourself ragged too.

ReiGun

I'm managing to keep a cool head. Last word was that his condition was improving, and the doctors are saying it won't be as bad as they initially thought. I've mostly spent the day talking to other friends and making sure they're alright.

Thanks for all the support guys. It means a lot.

Sorry to hear that,scariest thing for anyone to go through

zero_suit

I'm managing to keep a cool head. Last word was that his condition was improving, and the doctors are saying it won't be as bad as they initially thought. I've mostly spent the day talking to other friends and making sure they're alright.

Thanks for all the support guys. It means a lot.

Glad to hear things are looking up!

I'm getting the idea he doesn't like us(his friends) seeing his girl naked on the internet. I don't think he respects her that much. He can get her to do WHATEVER he wants, whenever he wants. I think he should just break it off.

Oh, and sorry about your friend, ReiGun. I was searching for a BP/Storm embrace but they're all kissy and stuff.

*internet hug*

ReiGun

I'm getting the idea he doesn't like us(his friends) seeing his girl naked on the internet. I don't think he respects her that much. He can get her to do WHATEVER he wants, whenever he wants. I think he should just break it off.

Oh, and sorry about your friend, ReiGun. I was searching for a BP/Storm embrace but they're all kissy and stuff.

*internet hug*

Yeah he should probably leave that alone. It's just going to get weird down the line.

And thanks man. (I don't have my Cap avatar anymore, but this will do for an *internet hug*)

tumblr_lj0d2etSws1qiam50o1_500.jpg

Top Bottom