• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT2|

Nakazato

Now Im not some one that should calling some one else soft (I avoid confrontation)

But.... Why would anyone be an asshole a throw bottles the should have just knuckled up right then and there and squash that shit now we'll have to put up with numerous Dis tapes. CB will say something then Drake will say something... THEN Common will fucking Roast Drake then Drake will call up wayne then Common will call up Yeezy (which in turn will call up Jay) then we have a fucking hip hop industry mess on your hands. Resulting in Biggie v Pac 2.0.

And somewhere Tyler the Creator is like all is going according to plan

/crazy rant that has lil bearing on the situation

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
Now Im not some one that should calling some one else soft (I avoid confrontation)

But.... Why would anyone be an asshole a throw bottles the should have just knuckled up right then and there and squash that shit now we'll have to put up with numerous Dis tapes. CB will say something then Drake will say something... THEN Common will fucking Roast Drake then Drake will call up wayne then Common will call up Yeezy (which in turn will call up Jay) then we have a fucking hip hop industry mess on your hands. Resulting in Biggie v Pac 2.0.

And somewhere Tyler the Creator is like all is going according to plan

/crazy rant that has lil bearing on the situation

after common went hard and then bowed out, i wouldnt trust him for that.

ReiGun

Had a discussion about the portrayal of other races in anime. Someone argued that characters like Mr. Popo and Jynx couldn't be considered racist because the intent behind them wasn't racist and their creators just didn't know. I don't know, but something about that argument doesn't sit well with me.

Would you go there if you got the nod?

A select few of them? Yes.

Parallax

Had a discussion about the portrayal of other races in anime. Someone argued that characters like Mr. Popo and Jynx couldn't be considered racist because the intent behind them wasn't racist and their creators just didn't know. I don't know, but something about that argument doesn't sit well with me.

i dont like to have that conversation with certain people. some like to enter straight denial mode when that comes into play. on both good and bad characters.

Imm0rt4l

im pretty sure pd could put up a rebuttal to that.

I forgot to make a comment on his post in that thread.

Let em' fight, Let em' fight

/Babs.

Got the first season of The Wire in the mail today! It's been years since I've seen this show and I've only seen some of the episodes.

Enjoy! You're in for a treat if you can get past the first 3 or 4 episodes, slow burn. Greatest Crime drama of all time.

zero_suit

Popo's physical appearance was/is fuckin' shameful.

Honestly, Popo never struck me as racist. But I was never taught about that stuff from friends or anybody for the longest time, so it never really hit me. I think spin mentioned it already, but prolly the most racist thing in anime I've seen would be in Pokemon:

EB5MA.png

Signature attack is "Head Charge," translated from "Afro Break."

Honestly, Popo never struck me as racist. But I was never taught about that stuff from friends or anybody for the longest time, so it never really hit me. I think spin mentioned it already, but prolly the most racist thing in anime I've seen would be in Pokemon:

Signature attack is "Head Charge," translated from "Afro Break."

ahaha, this is so awesome.

That's amazing, Beef. I would love to own a Pokemon that has a big ass afro

In fact, more video game characters need afros. Dat dude from FFXIII was a fun one

sazh.jpg

What aboss

ReiGun

Sazh was the coolest character in that game. Whole game should have just been him, Fang, and Lightning running around and having adventures.

Onemic

That's bullshit, they must have been inspired to make that image from somewhere. Willfull ignorance? Probably.

That actually makes me remember something that's been in my head since I was a kid watching cartoons/anime. A character that's white/asian/any other race, is generally made pretty normally with the basic facial features remaining the same barring colour, however(and I still see this in a majority of cartoons) a black person seems to always be made in a different way, the most telling feature are always the lips being huge barring the red colour(except in the case of jynx and popo) now I know black people have bigger lips than average, but so do non white/native people (especially so with east asians), and yet in pretty much 100 percent of anime an asian person is drawn almost indistinguishably from a white person, while a black person must adhere to those aforementioned features. Maybe I'm just crazy and looking too deep into things, but I've always noticed it since I was little and it just strikes me as slightly odd.

Parallax

That's bullshit, they must have been inspired to make that image from somewhere. Willfull ignorance? Probably.

That actually makes me remember something that's been in my head since I was a kid watching cartoons/anime. A character that's white/asian/any other race, is generally made pretty normally with the basic facial features remaining the same barring colour, however(and I still see this in a majority of cartoons) a black person seems to always be made in a different way, the most telling feature are always the lips being huge barring the red colour(except in the case of jynx and popo) now I know black people have bigger lips than average, but so do non white/native people (especially so with east asians), and yet in pretty much 100 percent of anime an asian person is drawn almost indistinguishably from a white person, while a black person must adhere to those aforementioned features. Maybe I'm just crazy and looking too deep into things, but I've always noticed it since I was little and it just strikes me as slightly odd.

Its definetely a thing. I'm actually trying to think of a black kid in cartoons that doesn't have the big lips thing going on.

Parallax

I don't know if Skeeter was black, but I've always held that Patty was. Doug had that jungle fever.

I wanted to entertain that skeeter was black, but something about his dad didn't sit right. Kinda looked eastern european. Now the dinks on the other hand......

ReiGun

I got hype every time Piccolo showed up ready to style on fools. You knew he was never going to end the conflict, but dude was just so cool.

Hell, Gohan chose to wear Piccolo's shit over Goku's during the Cell Games, effectively elevating Piccolo above his own father. That Namekian swag is immaculate.

Yamcha was the perfect example. Fuck, even Krillin would jump into fights when shit was going down.

And he always got his shit pushed in.

DBZ fights devolved to the Saiyans vs everyone else. Cell was blowing people off with his aura, except Vegeta who came in like a boss, and allowed Gohan the honor of showing him what power actually was.

Some anime definitely does have racist overtones. In other cases, no black people exist in that universe, so it never come up.

And he always got his shit pushed in.

At least he did something. Yamcha was such a fuckin' pushover that Vegeta took his woman and Yamcha didn't even say shit. Yajirobe of all people managed to do more to Vegeta than Yamcha did. Meanwhile, Krillin is actually bothering to try and defend his planet (despite failing most of the time), but at least he's got a family to show for it.

I guess what I'm trying to say is "fuck Yamcha."

Yamcha thought he was the king back in DB, wit dat one weak-ass Wolf Fang Fist move he had, but kid Goku was still the only nigga who could handle the Red Ribbon army. How you gon' get shown by an 8-year old on a regular basis and try to be badass? Vegeta pulled Bulma wearing a fuckin' pink shirt in 12 seconds, something Yamcha couldn't do in 12 years. Hercule could have pushed dat dude's shit in. Kid Trunks could have whooped his ass. If he was in a fight with Videl, I'd have to think twice about placing bets.

Yamcha thought he was the king back in DB, wit dat one weak-ass Wolf Fang Fist move he had, but kid Goku was still the only nigga who could handle the Red Ribbon army. How you gon' get shown by an 8-year old on a regular basis and try to be badass? Vegeta pulled Bulma wearing a fuckin' pink shirt in 12 seconds, something Yamcha couldn't do in 12 years. Hercule could have pushed dat dude's shit in. Kid Trunks could have whooped his ass. If he was in a fight with Videl, I'd have to think twice about placing bets.
you would have to think twice vs videl? really? c'mon son, she'd get dat W easy.

Top Bottom