• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT2|

Lebron

What about a white woman cosigning something?

PI6rm.gif

Nakazato

So Black-Gaf last night while battling my Insomnia Demon.... I turned on netflix and starting to watch the 1st Ep of Luther.... Idris Elba is...... A fucking boss all hail the king. I knew he was a good actor but damn. Give him Bond, Black Panther, Or anything he fucking wants Ill be there day one. I will start spreading the Idris Elba Gospel to anyone who will listen. I have seen the light.

zero_suit

So Black-Gaf last night while battling my Insomnia Demon.... I turned on netflix and starting to watch the 1st Ep of Luther.... Idris Elba is...... A fucking boss all hail the king. I knew he was a good actor but damn. Give him Bond, Black Panther, Or anything he fucking wants Ill be there day one. I will start spreading the Idris Elba Gospel to anyone who will listen. I have seen the light.

That's good to hear.

Yesterday he told me some black woman asked him his race (he's half white/half black) and made some insinuation about getting his birth records checked. He said the way she mentioned it was like his mom was fuckin' the milkman or something. He said it so non-chalantly like it's not the first time a stranger has made a crass joke about it.

Nakazato

Yesterday he told me some black woman asked him his race (he's half white/half black) and made some insinuation about getting his birth records checked. He said the way she mentioned it was like his mom was fuckin' the milkman or something. He said it so non-chalantly like it's not the first time a stranger has made a crass joke about it.

smh. Timedog is a better man then me to hear something like that and not put her in
her place. And with my gf being white. If we ever have a kid id hope that he'll be calm tempered like TD was in that situation.

smh. Timedog is a better man then me to hear something like that and not put her in
her place. And with my gf being white. If we ever have a kid id hope that he'll be calm tempered like TD was in that situation.

Well he was at work but yeah if I heard something like that while I'm with him, I'd go ham.

Slayven

That nonchalant racism is what gets me. Just to go on somebody like out the blue?

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
That nonchalant racism is what gets me. Just to go on somebody like out the blue?

As a person who's been there, let me tell you, oregon is weird. I went into a walmart for my grandmother and its like the moment I walked in, I was tupac, because all eyes were on me. If had more racist shit tossed my way by fucking high schoolers that the elderly that the state is filled with. Its a nice place in the north, but things kinda run funny.

Imm0rt4l

yea man, Luther is a dope show. 1st season especially, and yea Elba is a boss.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Really I'm kind of sick of hearing about Idris Elba.

It has nothing to do with his talent or anything, it's just that NeoGAF as a whole is fucking obsessed.

It's like GAF only has the capacity to like one black actor at a time and then they won't shut the fuck up about him any time anything remotely having to do with a black role comes up.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"

It has nothing to do with his talent or anything, it's just that NeoGAF as a whole is fucking obsessed.

It's like GAF only has the capacity to like one black actor at a time and then they won't shut the fuck up about him any time anything remotely having to do with a black role comes up.

it would be nice if there was an abundance of credible ones to be excited about, but i do understand.

Some fucker said I looked like him the other day, at least the Luther character. Though I dress similarly I guess. Pisses me off when people say I look like another black person on TV for some reason, can barely enter a pub without an observation of some sort.

It's not like he's raved about by people in the UK to be honest. That said male actors seldom are here. They do well quietly. Benedict Cumberbatch the Sherlock lad is another one who has been equally successful.

Slayven

You know who should play Elba in a movie? Fassbender.

Kreed

Some fucker said I looked like him the other day, at least the Luther character. Though I dress similarly I guess. Pisses me off when people say I look like another black person on TV for some reason, can barely enter a pub without an observation of some sort.

It's not like he's raved about by people in the UK to be honest. That said male actors seldom are here. They do well quietly. Benedict Cumberbatch the Sherlock lad is another one who has been equally successful.

I'm the same way with black celebrity comparisons. Mainly because I know I look nothing like those celebrities, and so far it's only been white Americans/my white American friends who make those comparisons. I've been told I look like everyone from Tiger Woods, to RZA, to Dave Chappelle, to Will Smith over the years.

I actually got the Idris Elba comparison about two years ago from a coworker at a previous job. The secretary was handing out the mail and there was a magazine with Idris on the cover and it was near my desk so he decided to make the observation that we looked similar. And when the comment didn't go over well he then decided to make a comment about "all black people looking alike". I didn't know if he was joking or not at the time but I ended up letting him know those jokes/comments weren't cool with me at work and became the "over sensitive black dude" in the office for a few weeks. smh

I just rewatched the series premier of Boardwalk Empire last night. Forgot how outstanding it was, the editing, the camera work, the musical selection, it was up to the standard of an award winning film.
....then I watched the second episode, the one not directed by Martin Scorsese, and I notice a nosedive in quality. The writing and acting was still top of the line, but man, Tim Van Patten aint even in the same fucking stratosphere as Scorsese.

I'm the same way with black celebrity comparisons. Mainly because I know I look nothing like those celebrities, and so far it's only been white Americans/my white American friends who make those comparisons. I've been told I look like everyone from Tiger Woods, to RZA, to Dave Chappelle, to Will Smith over the years.

I actually got the Idris Elba comparison about two years ago from a coworker at a previous job. The secretary was handing out the mail and there was a magazine with Idris on the cover and it was near my desk so he decided to make the observation that we looked similar. And when the comment didn't go over well he then decided to make a comment about "all black people looking alike". I didn't know if he was joking or not at the time but I ended up letting him know those jokes/comments weren't cool with me at work and became the "over sensitive black dude" in the office for a few weeks. smh

I have to brief with those people, I normally just say and all Chinese people look like Bruce Lee and they get the point. Still they probably think I have "Chip on my shoulder" Love that one.

zero_suit

Haha, can you morph or something?

SMH

On the topic of other black people you're said to look like one girl I knew said I looked like Stanley from The Office. It pretty much ruined my week. And I thought it was complete bs considering I'm not dark, chubby old or feel like I look anything like him. Later on, semi out of the blue, she said I was pretty average in terms of being attractive. So unless she's into that sort of look, or was joking that time, I'm not sure what her game is....but I don't like it

IceCold

On the topic of other black people you're said to look like one girl I knew said I looked like Stanley from The Office. It pretty much ruined my week. And I thought it was complete bs considering I'm not dark, chubby old or feel like I look anything like him. Later on, semi out of the blue, she said I was pretty average in terms of being attractive. So unless she's into that sort of look, or was joking that time, I'm not sure what her game is....but I don't like it

Flip it on her and tell her she looks like Gabourey Sidibe.

Flip it on her and tell her she looks like Gabourey Sidibe.

You see anytime I try that with her she flips a shit. See we both row and she had said something about how when I stopped I was going to get fat (because my appetite was pretty large at the time). I told her I would laugh way later when she got fat and then she tells me she's not sure whether she would want to be friends with me.

Bah, no winning with her. I don't dislike her but some of the things she says...she'll lucky she's the GF of a good friend of mine or I wouldn't be so nice and friendly all the time

Pisses me off when people say I look like another black person on TV for some reason, can barely enter a pub without an observation of some sort.

I've been getting plenty of comments like from this year alone:

So far, I've been told I look like or remind people of Kid Cudi, Childish Gambino/Donald Glover, Will Smith, Denzel, Gerald from Hey Arnold, and Obama.

Oh, such fun from being that token black guy.

SoilBreak

Banned
It seems pretty much okay to do a crazy racist rant if a customer doesn't tip.

*sigh*

Wait wait wait . . .

We are fucking discussing HER NEED TO HAVE TIPPED and the general need to tip rather than the fucking nutjob who threatened her life and lost his fucking shit over two dollars? Really?

Guys we need to call a black delegation meeting on the matter of tipping. Last night me and some friends went out to eat and watch the game and so our waiter was A1 on the service, she did a good job. Anyways we all leave her 10-15 dollar tips and she had this shocked look on her face and she was like "wow you guys are tipping?.......... Then she caught her self and was like "me this much?". My boys didnt catch it cause they was to busy trying to hit on her but damn that hurt a brother a lil bit. And then we have this pizza guy racist rant thread, so Blackgaf are we that bad on tipping?

Guys we need to call a black delegation meeting on the matter of tipping. Last night me and some friends went out to eat and watch the game and so our waiter was A1 on the service, she did a good job. Anyways we all leave her 10-15 dollar tips and she had this shocked look on her face and she was like "wow you guys are tipping?.......... Then she caught her self and was like "me this much?". My boys didnt catch it cause they was to busy trying to hit on her but damn that hurt a brother a lil bit. And then we have this pizza guy racist rant thread, so Blackgaf are we that bad on tipping?

The thing is there is this stereotype that black people don't tip and I don't know anyone black or otherwise that doesn't tip.

Measley

Yes.

I used to wait tables, and frankly blacks were by far the worst customers I had on a consistent basis. They would demand the most stuff, run you around the most, and tip the least (if they tipped at all). It got so bad that anytime black people would enter the restaurant, my co-workers (including the black ones) would try to pass the table off to someone else.

When you have black people not wanting to serve other black people there is a serious problem.

My wife worked at a sports bar, and she had a similar experience with black patrons. Given the sheer scope of the stereotype, this seems to be a pretty common experience among a lot of people in the restaurant industry.

Why do so many people think it's up to blacks to break stereotypes about us? I don't really think any other group has to be aware of everything they do like us.

Top Bottom