• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT2|

Yeah, Spike can't fuck with QT.

They both dress horribly

vibe-spike-lee-red-hook-summer_0.jpg

tumblr_meyh80Yvw01qz7l0ao1_1280.jpg

Feel better spike

Edit: And someone tell Jamie you cant manufacture a hairline.

Wait, what?

She was literally an unfit mother, the soul plane thing was a joke but yeah she didn't even try to hide the fact she didnt want the kids. I felt bad for them and made an anonymous call and long story short her mother got full custody and the chick is in jail for being present in a dive, resiting arrest, and assault on an officer.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
soul plane is a crime against film. It set perceptions of black people back 10 years.

No, I mean how can one see both movies and come to the decision that soul plane is better? Kevin hart was the saving throw if that whole damn movie and it was still garbage.

Gorillaz

Spike definitely hasnt grown as much. Inside Man was a step in the right direction tho.

QT has been doing ok as well. His pulp fiction kill bill days are over but he is pumping out stuff like inglourious bastards so hes in the clear....for now

Djano unchained could be a tipping point depend on how audiences accept it.

harSon

Banned
25th Hour was more than decent. That movie contains one of the greatest closing scenes in cinematic history. Shit was beyond well done.

And ya'll should give Red Hook Summer a chance. The first half is a bit slow (but necessarily), the child actors are mediocre and some of the guerrilla style camera work is a bit distracting, but the second half is well done and there's a scene in particular that is probably one of the most tense moments in film of the last few years. Clarke Peters is fucking GOOD too, dude is convincing as fuck as a black religious figure.

I was a bit put off by the overly religious nature of the film at first, but it soon morphs into something that's quite anti-religion. The underlying message of the film (Blacks should stop putting their lives in the hands of God, and take responsibility/action to better themselves and their children) was fucking great, and the first time I've heard such a thing in film.

I had a great time at the barbershop today; they were playing Bollywood movies, so I just sat back and watched for a few hours. Caught the second half of Enthiran and all of Bodyguard. Those show tunes are catchy as hell.

Spike Lee, you are the most important black filmmaker in history, you made some good movies, Do the Right Thing is a top-10 favorite of mine, but PLEASE sir, just...shup the fuck up

It's not his fault if people go out of their way to ask him this stuff. It would be nice if he could just pass on the question, but if he does that then it would get blown out of proportion.

I think casual interviews would be a lot better if answers like "I don't know", "no comment", "maaaaaan...", "sheeeeeit", "and fuck you/him/her/them/that shit" were considered valid replies.

harSon

Banned
I had a great time at the barbershop today; they were playing Bollywood movies, so I just sat back and watched for a few hours. Caught the second half of Enthiran and all of Bodyguard. Those show tunes are catchy as hell.

It's not his fault if people go out of their way to ask him this stuff. It would be nice if he could just pass on the question, but if he does that then it would get blown out of proportion.

I think casual interviews would be a lot better if answers like "I don't know", "no comment", "maaaaaan...", "sheeeeeit", "and fuck you/him/her/them/that shit" were considered valid replies.

Dude has his longest "sheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit" ever in Red Hook Summer.

Spike Lee, you are the most important black filmmaker in history, you made some good movies, Do the Right Thing is a top-10 favorite of mine, but PLEASE sir, just...shup the fuck up

I hate when people say shit like this. Someone setup a camera and mic and asked him what his opinion as on it. It wasn't like he called a press conference to let everyone know what his thoughts on the movie were lol.

That's some funny shit.

Kreed

I hate when people say shit like this. Someone setup a camera and mic and asked him what his opinion as on it. It wasn't like he called a press conference to let everyone know what his thoughts on the movie were lol.

Spike Lee has been in this business long enough to know what happens when he makes ANY negative comments on a black film. I'm sure he remembers what happened when he made comments on Tyler Perry's films/tv shows. The people setting up the camera/mics take some blame but he knew his comments would become fodder for the internet. Like soundscream says he should have said no comment and kept it moving.

G-Fex

I think I remember watching some Soul Plane on tv.

Tom Arnold was in it with some other folks as the token white family.

Soul Plane is fucking hilarious and I don't care what anybody says about it. Most of the folks I know that don't like it are self-conscious like it's reflective of them or something.

To each his own, but the movie is not funny, it's not ironic funny, it's not tounge in check funny. It takes all the negative aspect of the black culture and present in a "Us black folks huh?" kind of way, in my personal expriencen the only people who liked the movie were the ones that are caught up in the negative culture. I would rather watch Who Farted In The Potatao Salad then watch Soul Plane

Onemic

Happy Kwanzaa Black-Culture GAF.

remember, that's the only own we can claim.

Popeyes or die.. choking on a piece of KFC drumleg!

Merry Christmas my Canuck brethren.

Merry Christmas to DY's sad and probably starving child

Merry Christmas to all of FM's serviced Japanese girls

Merry Christmas to the deceased Slayven. Doom lives on!

Merry Christmas everyone!

Top Bottom