• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Black Myth Wukong on Steam Is Still at 10/10 Score Even After 200K User Reviews

Kagoshima_Luke

Gold Member
913i0t.jpg

Little Mac

Gold Member
A gym buddy of mine told me today that Wukong was an 8.5 out of 10, and in many aspects, slightly better than Steller Blade. It’s a good game for sure, but let’s be realistic, it’s no Mike Tyson’s Punch-Out!!

StereoVsn

No, it's not. Not sure why everyone keeps repeating it.
It has a SHITTON of bosses and minibosses, but there's a whole bunch of random mobs and secrets to unlock across every map.
These levels are very large and PACKED with stuff, too.
Huh, that’s interesting as the boss rush impression is what I got as well.

Will take a look at it in a few months after it gets patched up (if it gets patched up).

Little Mac

Gold Member
Should I get this or Stellar Blade?

I’m sure I’m alone on this, but if you’re talking PS5, I’d get Steller Blade on sale now, and wait for Wukong until patches fixing some of the performance issues come around. Rumor online saying it might be a while because the dev is saying the ps5 is bottleneck’d. I’ll see if I can find the translated tweet.

I’m waiting to see what the Pro is all about before buying Wukong.

Update: Bottleneck Article

Last edited:
No, it's not. Not sure why everyone keeps repeating it.
It has a SHITTON of bosses and minibosses, but there's a whole bunch of random mobs and secrets to unlock across every map.
These levels are very large and PACKED with stuff, too.
some previews/first impressions a while back were basically "it's all bosses".
good to know this isnt the case.

though im getting tired of souls games, and bosses are my least favorite part.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
It's not. Lots of mini-bosses and bosses but also a lot of exploration, secrets, and things to find. It's a very fun game.
Action-Adventure game. It's a hack and slash. Wukong looks fast and fluid. Souls games are often stiff, rigid and full of jank. I'd compare Wukong to stuff like Castlevania Lords of Shadow, Sekiro, Astral Chain, Stellar Blade, Darksiders 2, etc

I am amused that many here seem to think any action game or spectacle fighter must be a Dark Souls game.

Will pick up next week.

Won't regret it since it's basically if Dragon Ball was a Action RPG. And Goku was actually based off of Sun Wukong and Journey to the West. More brownie points just based off of that.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I’m loving the game. I did listen to Jeff Gerstmann’s podcast and it’s like he couldn’t see past all the “scandals” the internet has tried to cancel Game Science with since its reveal. He wasn’t even somewhat interested in playing it and it felt like he was basically writing off because it’s from China. I don’t always care about these kinds of opinions, but you can totally get the feeling like he can’t stand the hard/souls like games.

A part of me feels like we are using xenophobia to judge Wukong.

Maybe there is something to the reviews, but then I also think about places like Poland. Barack Obama was given a copy of The Witcher 2 from Poland many years ago. Poland is proud of The Witcher and CD PROJEKT RED. A game company out of China makes a great looking, fun game that we can devote our time to. Let them have that excitement. Let’s also consider how many people in China were waiting for this. IIRC a lot of gamers in China play the more competitive and mobile games. Look at how Korea has made all those MMOs that look absolutely gorgeous, but apparently fails at everything else.

Last edited:

Aion002

Gold Member
I didn't play Wukong yet, but Stellar Blade is awesome.

Great art, amazing combat, good exploration, cool level design and enjoyable music.

There's a 2 hours trial on PS Plus, so you can check it out if you will enjoy it or not.

Last edited:

FunkMiller

Gold Member
Action-Adventure game. It's a hack and slash. Wukong looks fast and fluid. Souls games are often stiff, rigid and full of jank. I'd compare Wukong to stuff like Castlevania Lords of Shadow, Sekiro, Astral Chain, Stellar Blade, Darksiders 2, etc

I am amused that many here seem to think any action game or spectacle fighter must be a Dark Souls game.

So, you haven't played Wukong and you're saying it's not a Soulslike? But then you go on to say it's like Sekiro, which is very much a Souls game, in terms of gameplay loop, and multiple other aspects.

Wukong is a Soulslike. I'm played and completed every From game, over hundreds and hundreds of hours. Everything about this game's progression, mechanics, environment and combat is directly lifted from the Souls template.

Why are some people so determined to say this isn't a Soulslike, when it so obviously is?

Last edited:

Sentenza

So, you haven't played Wukong and you're saying it's not a Soulslike? But then you go on to say it's like Sekiro, which is very much a Souls game, in terms of gameplay loop, and multiple other aspects.

Wukong is a Soulslike. I'm played and completed every From game, over hundreds and hundreds of hours. Everything about this game's progression, mechanics, environment and combat is directly lifted from the Souls template.

Why are some people so determined to say this isn't a Soulslike, when it so obviously is?
Yeah, no idea of what's going on with this game. Half of the reviews out there open with a bold declaration that this is "nothing like a Souls game" when the more hours I'm playing it the more it feels like one.

Yeah, it has a more "floaty" combat (that personally I don't find as tight as something like, say, Sekiro or AC6) and it relies more on perks than stats with its progression system (then again Sekiro does this too). But that's pretty much where the differences end.
The way the levels are structured, the amount of useful collectables and loot, the healing system, the amount of hidden/buried content, the vaguely obscure sidequests you need to figure out by yourself, etc, etc.... They all borrow heavily from a typical From Software game.

Frankly aside from some minor nitpicking with the feeling of the combat in some frangents, my impression of it is absolutely glowing so far.
I just wished it would avoid the mistake of putting the occasional invisible wall here and there. It's weird that in scenarios that feel for the most part convincing and immersive from time to time you keep stumbling in the occasional spot where you find yourself blocked by thin air.
I would have also liked more if, in the style of other more traditional action adventures, the game managed to put a bit more emphasis on navigation and traversal with its special abilities.

Kupfer

If you're up for the PS5 version of Wukong, play Stellar Blade first. It performs well and is a very good game.
By the time you're done with Stellar Blade, Wukong may be patched and runs acceptably on the PS5

Played both game. Wukong is clearly a better one, but you should play it on pc.
Just being curious since I've not played both games but Stellar Blade only. In what terms is Wukong the better game?

Last edited:
Nationalism skewing what would otherwise be an 8.
I would say more like a 9 game for the sheer amount of content in the game of its quality. Performance could be better across the board and the invisible barries in many maps were driving me crazy at points (don't really have a problem with lack of map though). But yeah, the Chinese are going ham with their glowing reviews.

Ivory Samoan

Gold Member
Deserved.

It's really fucking good.
100%.

My only gripe isn't with the game per se, but the fact that people seem to make a big deal about it not being a soulslike...when it's a fucking soulslike in all things bar the mechanic of losing your currency on death....I find this harder than DS2, DS3, Elden Ring - about on par with BB, Sekiro still harder, didn't finish Demon's Souls but that seemed easier to me also.

Like, I just don't know how this isn't a seen as a soulslike - it feels sweaty af to me 🤣

If you're up for the PS5 version of Wukong, play Stellar Blade first. It performs well and is a very good game.
By the time you're done with Stellar Blade, Wukong may be patched and runs acceptably on the PS5

Just being curious since I've not played both games but Stellar Blade only. In what terms is Wukong the better game?
Combat is kind of same level, I like both game. But exploring, map design, monster/boss design, graphic, ... everything else Wukong is better.

Last edited:
100%.

My only gripe isn't with the game per se, but the fact that people seem to make a big deal about it not being a soulslike...when it's a fucking soulslike in all things bar the mechanic of losing your currency on death....I find this harder than DS2, DS3, Elden Ring - about on par with BB, Sekiro still harder, didn't finish Demon's Souls but that seemed easier to me also.

Like, I just don't know how this isn't a seen as a soulslike - it feels sweaty af to me 🤣
You don't loose anything on death in Wukong. But I agree this is soulslike, like fast action soulslike . Don't understand why people/dev try to convince that it's not. At the end it doesn't matter, still very good game.

Last edited:

Kupfer

Combat is kind of same level, I like both game. But exploring, map design, monster/boss design, graphic, ... everything else Wukong is better.
Looks like classic case of personal preferences. The style of Wukong doesn't appeal to me at all, I can do little or nothing with mystical Chinese stories, but more with sci-fi.
But well, if Wukong is patched and runs properly, I'll be happy to be taught better

Mondai

Sekiro is not a Souls game.

I've been watching the game on stream on and off. I'm impressed by the quality, not just the gameplay and graphics, but the whole package. They've put some serious effort in the presentation and story. I love the (animated) cinematics.
It's like a grand celebration of Chinese folklore delivered as a kick-ass game. If anything, a success like this should unify instead of divide. Chinese gamers have every reason to go all out with positive reviews. I don't get the hate, other than caused by media conditioning.

What would be awesome next, coming from China, is a game on the same scale that captures the beauty and combat of wuxia style movies like Hero or Shadow.

Last edited:
Top Bottom