• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT2|

Jurnee was good on Friday Night Lights until she got with Landry. How did the ugliest guy, most awkward guy on that show get with the two hottest girls. Bs. Fuck Landry.

phaonaut

Too bad she doesn't get work. If it weren't for these all black cast films (Roll Bounce, The Great Debators and this), then her Hollywood career would be non-existent... which is disappointing considering she's a very capable actress.

Nate Parker (her co star in The Great Debators) is another black actor who'd be starving for roles if it weren't for black films, and dude's legitimate IMO.

Edit: Also, people starving for a non-Tyler Perry/Romantic Comedy black film should take a look at this: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2385255/ Don't know who the f the director is, but that cast is on point.
Edit 2: NM, the cast looks better than the movie: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d7UXL8D7XSw

All star cast, but in need of a new dp. Posse looked better than this, changing the grading alone could be a huge help.

FreeMufasa

It pisses me off tho, I decent chick would've told me she had bf and left it at that. I'm sure many dudes get bodied for unknowingly macking on these chicks shits fucked up

I've seen guys get bodied by someone that aint even hitting it. Jealousy gone too far.

It sucks to not be well traveled. I want to bash faces into the concrete when people get to talking about all the wonderful places they've been. Add that to the list of reasons I need to make some good money.

Only major city I've been to is DC. I can't even imagine going out of the country. I've never even flew on a plane before.

I think black Americans are the least travelled group in the developed world. When I go to the states to see family and ask people about this, they usually say its because they won't be accepted anywhere. Racism.

I will say one thing though, I really feel you guys. I've been judged so much based on my skin colour here in 2 months than the last 5 years in the UK. 100% of the time by a white American male. Holy shit! Just 2 months........

Worst was when I applied for a job. Guy straight up told me I look like a thug and to cut my (extremely) compressed fro. In my picture I'm wearing a suit, clean cut and look smart yet somehow I look like a thug????? Went onto the company website and saw he's some shaggy doo looking, neck bearded scrawny ass punk with hair a little shorter than triple H. Arghhhhhh I'm still pissed off about it. I was raging for days. But it did make me thing wow, some people have to put up with this shit their whole life.

still looked his ass up in fb hahahaha. He was single though.

I think some black Americans look at how bad the situation is home and are told America is the most tolerable. If the best is this bad you can bet people won't be interested in anywhere else.

It's interesting seeing the racism I faced in the UK to what's in the US. Although it happens a lot, you're not really judged by your skin in the UK. It's more of a "go back to Africa!" thing. "You're not British!". It's fucking annoying too. Before I left my mum had some little shit yell at her saying she's not English. My mum, living in the UK for more than 20 years, a British national is Being told by a 6 year old kid she's not British. Shit you can be a descendant from a British slave 300 years ago and some people will still say that.

In the US I think it's moved past that now, at least for negroes. But what you guys have is so bad. "He's a criminal!" "Black people are stupid" etc. judgment based on your skin colour. With the UK type, it usually flares up during elections or an event but the other type follows you around always and everywhere.

Shit I went off on one lol.

I think black Americans are the least travelled group in the developed world.

seriously. i remember in NYC i talked to so many grown people who haven't been anywhere outside of the 5 boroughs. ever. and where i am now in southern GA, i've talked to people who haven't even been to Atlanta... that shit is 2-3hrs away!!!

ecurbj

I love how when I walked into Brew Ha Ha (coffee shop) this morning to get me a Epresso Americano, the customers that were sitting there were all white. I was the only non-white there. All their heads turned to me when I walked in. I'm just smiling and telling the cashier what I want and was sweating my ass off at all the stares I was receiving.

I wanted to say " Some Black/Spanish people drink coffee too, motherfuckas!". But I just smiled and got my coffee, told the cashier have a nice day and left.

That had to be the one of the most awkward moments of my life. Plus I'm not fully black, I could pass for being Spanish (I am half Puerto Rican because of my father).

DominoKid

the traveling thing just got to me in a moment because i was looking at my twitter feed and i have friends that are spending christmas in LA, Florida, NYC, Spain, Costa Rica and Brazil. and that was just from the past few days of people announcing their departures. i got friends going to bowl games and shit in the next few weeks for free off family connections. if i sound jealous as fuck, it's because i am. i guess that's life when you make friends w/ the rich kids.

---

on another note i figured out what bothered me about the latest Tyler flick. honestly i was actually fine with it...until the new dude started throwing Jurnee around. it's a Tyler movie so of course it's gonna be shitty because he writes fairy tales for black women, but this one looked less shitty than the others. somebody needs to introduce Tyler to nuance. better yet Tyler needs to introduce nuance to his audience. his shit just continues to propagate the "good man" pipe dream that black women have. i'm tired of seeing legitimate stories turned into cartoony bullshit. why does it have to be a right or wrong decision? how come Jurnee can't just pick between 2 men?

like you can see the thought process for this shit. "this rich, good looking, charming guy is better in every way...but he BEATS WOMEN *dun dun dun*. will she make the right decision?" hell, if you just make the guy emotionally abusive then that's a start.

sometimes you need a rapier instead of a fucking Nightmare broadsword.

ecurbj

I DVR'd all the parts. My Dad was telling me there is 6 parts but BET only showed 4 parts.

I never watched this movie ever in my life.

I've actually thought about joining the Navy a few years ago so that I would get the chance to travel. I've never been on a plane either. Only places I've really visited were Atlanta and Texas and I was young then.

Trailer for Tyler Perry's latest trifling ass movie.

"He gon take you straight to hell." Fellas, go ahead and order your tickets. Get some woman credit going.

Jurnee is so so fine. But she married now *cries in the corner*

hlgyq.gif

RedSwirl

I think black Americans are the least travelled group in the developed world. When I go to the states to see family and ask people about this, they usually say its because they won't be accepted anywhere. Racism.

I will say one thing though, I really feel you guys. I've been judged so much based on my skin colour here in 2 months than the last 5 years in the UK. 100% of the time by a white American male. Holy shit! Just 2 months........

Worst was when I applied for a job. Guy straight up told me I look like a thug and to cut my (extremely) compressed fro. In my picture I'm wearing a suit, clean cut and look smart yet somehow I look like a thug????? Went onto the company website and saw he's some shaggy doo looking, neck bearded scrawny ass punk with hair a little shorter than triple H. Arghhhhhh I'm still pissed off about it. I was raging for days. But it did make me thing wow, some people have to put up with this shit their whole life.

I think some black Americans look at how bad the situation is home and are told America is the most tolerable. If the best is this bad you can bet people won't be interested in anywhere else.

It's interesting seeing the racism I faced in the UK to what's in the US. Although it happens a lot, you're not really judged by your skin in the UK. It's more of a "go back to Africa!" thing. "You're not British!". It's fucking annoying too. Before I left my mum had some little shit yell at her saying she's not English. My mum, living in the UK for more than 20 years, a British national is Being told by a 6 year old kid she's not British. Shit you can be a descendant from a British slave 300 years ago and some people will still say that.

In the US I think it's moved past that now, at least for negroes. But what you guys have is so bad. "He's a criminal!" "Black people are stupid" etc. judgment based on your skin colour. With the UK type, it usually flares up during elections or an event but the other type follows you around always and everywhere.

Definitely. Only reason I've been anywhere is because I grew up in a military family. And even then, thinking back, I've rarely been outside of the south and southeastern areas of the US. I lived in Germany for two years (and for some reason mostly stayed in Bavaria that whole time) and I've been to LA once. That's kinda it.

I love how when I walked into Brew Ha Ha (coffee shop) this morning to get me a Epresso Americano, the customers that were sitting there were all white. I was the only non-white there. All their heads turned to me when I walked in. I'm just smiling and telling the cashier what I want and was sweating my ass off at all the stares I was receiving.

I wanted to say " Some Black/Spanish people drink coffee too, motherfuckas!". But I just smiled and got my coffee, told the cashier have a nice day and left.

That had to be the one of the most awkward moments of my life. Plus I'm not fully black, I could pass for being Spanish (I am half Puerto Rican because of my father).

damn, where abouts was this?

It's all the more funny because the beans come from brown countries. Speaking of I'm trying to get into some free trade ones.

finally started watching mad men, not a bad show

Christinia Hendricks tho, unghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

she flipped my jungle fever switch

The heart of Delaware. It was very awkward. I had got the feeling like "Your not suppose to be here. You drink coffee? Yeah, okay". I felt very uncomfortable.

shoulda came in with a 40 or malt liquor silly

ecurbj

It's all the more funny because the beans come from brown countries. Speaking of I'm trying to get into some free trade ones.

I know right. I was just very surprised I was sweating. Like all the attention was on me. The cashier (white) was very flirty and receptive.

finally started watching mad men, not a bad show

Christinia Hendricks tho, unghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

she flipped my jungle fever switch

shoulda came in with a 40 or malt liquor silly

I know. I wasn't thinking. Next time I go which will probably be this Friday. I will definitely give them the "black man stare".

NSFW

I got to watch or get into this show!

stop it T-T

Eh, i'm done- there's that readhead appreciation thread anyway if someone is looking to stare at gingers all day.

slightly on topic, I read the plot for jungle fever on wiki just now (never seen the movie, it came out slightly before I would have been interested in social commentary films like it) and..what the hell?

That movie was made in 1989, not 1969, right

edit: oh god @ that ending noooooooooooooooooo

Eh, i'm done- there's that readhead appreciation thread anyway if someone is looking to stare at gingers all day.

slightly on topic, I read the plot for jungle fever on wiki just now (never seen the movie, it came out slightly before I would have been interested in social commentary films like it) and..what the hell?

That movie was made in 1989, not 1969, right

edit: oh god @ that ending noooooooooooooooooo

The scene before that is worse. The girl is basically happy to hear her parents fucking again because her moms took his philandering ass back.

harSon

Banned
I've seen guys get bodied by someone that aint even hitting it. Jealousy gone too far.

It took me a LONG ass time to catch a cab when I was traveling in South East Asia. Cabs would literally drive past me and pick up the next person hahaha

Gorillaz

I always hated how people feared to travel the world/other places. I understand how our people percieve america but are we really that scared of backlash from other regions? Its like pulling teeth to get people moitivated bout traveling around the world lol.

G-Fex

What's with the hendricks pics? Not that i'm complaining.

Also found out that Samus is the biggest video game simp ever.

What's with the hendricks pics? Not that i'm complaining.

someone mentioned her, which is pretty much a good excuse to post nice pics. That's about the extent of it.

Also found out that Samus is the biggest video game simp ever.

eh? Haven't played a metroid since fusion, but I'm curious how the logic to this one works out.

G-Fex

someone mentioned her, which is pretty much a good excuse to post nice pics. That's about the extent of it.

eh? Haven't played a metroid since fusion, but I'm curious how the logic to this one works out.

Ah good. Of the gorgeous women i can name I like for the older and younger category, the younger being Ashley greene the older being the beautiful Hendricks.

yup after playing that mind numbing game fusion, she can't do anything with out "Adam"'s permission. And in Other M? She worships the ground he walks on and again, won't do anything less he says different.

Sigh...I thought I liked you Samus.

DominoKid

I think I'ma stay outta that Don Lemon thread.

You should. Dom Lemon is nothing but a shitstarter. I can't stand him.

sn: where has Soul Eater been all my life. i watched like 30 episodes in 2 days lmao.
I get hung up on the voice actors for their more iconic roles though. Oddly enough Maka & Soul are probably my least favorite characters.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
You should. Dom Lemon is nothing but a shitstarter. I can't stand him.

sn: where has Soul Eater been all my life. i watched like 30 episodes in 2 days lmao.
I get hung up on the voice actors for their more iconic roles though. Oddly enough Maka & Soul are probably my least favorite characters.

Is Black Star not the most swagged out motherfucker you've ever heard of in your life?

Top Bottom